Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Re: "Timberwolves are currently the strongest team on Campazzo" 

Post#81 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:23 pm

shangrila wrote:
minimus wrote:
packforfreedom wrote:yeah his passing style lookes nice but, the rest meh. and if it's true that he has big problems on defense against bigger guards, which is basically everyone in the nba, i don't see him getting minutes here.

I think current problem is his buyout and possible contract in NBA. His vision and passing skills are elite, but don't underestimate his competitiveness, also Campazzo is one of the best PG in Europe in defense. I think as backup PG he will be a good fit in NBA.

I don't care how competitive he is, if he's physically incapable of guarding non-NBA guards he won't have a shot at the actual NBA guys.

If I understand correctly he was DPoY. That would indicate he doesn't have trouble guarding non-NBA guards. Am I missing something here?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,966

Post#82 » by Domejandro » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:59 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
shangrila wrote:
minimus wrote:
I think current problem is his buyout and possible contract in NBA. His vision and passing skills are elite, but don't underestimate his competitiveness, also Campazzo is one of the best PG in Europe in defense. I think as backup PG he will be a good fit in NBA.

I don't care how competitive he is, if he's physically incapable of guarding non-NBA guards he won't have a shot at the actual NBA guys.

If I understand correctly he was DPoY. That would indicate he doesn't have trouble guarding non-NBA guards. Am I missing something here?

Typically Euro breakdowns tend to be more detailed critically than American ones, at least from the copious amounts I have seen on YouTube. Selling hype generally leads to more views.

That said, he is definitely not a player you want switching onto tall guards. Neither is McLaughlin, if we are being objective, but the hope would be that D'Angelo Russell would take the defensive assignment against Shooting Guards.

To be honest with people, I genuinely do not know what people are expecting to get out of a back-up Point Guard, naturally any player we are looking at recruiting for that position is going to have substantial flaws.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#83 » by Jedzz » Tue Aug 4, 2020 4:41 pm

Domejandro wrote:
To be honest with people, I genuinely do not know what people are expecting to get out of a back-up Point Guard, naturally any player we are looking at recruiting for that position is going to have substantial flaws.

They seem to think Wolves will draft the next Lillard, who as a rookie will instantly push Dlo to shooting guard and and, yeah right. As if they even need someone new playing SG.

Funny thing is they already have a lillard-lite clone on the team and they will never admit it because of, amazingly, height. But some of the same people are fine with Campazzo I guess.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#84 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:00 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Domejandro wrote:

They seem to think Wolves will draft the next Lillard, who as a rookie will instantly push Dlo to shooting guard and and, yeah right. As if they even need someone new playing SG.

Funny thing is they already have a lillard-lite clone on the team and they will never admit it because of, amazingly, height. But some of the same people are fine with Campazzo I guess.

I almost gave this post a + 1, but decided against it. :o
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#85 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 9, 2020 6:49 pm

regarding the buyout

Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine
Aug 7
... and I'm told Campazzo plans to forego $1.2 million Euros owed between now and October to facilitate the move. The rest, as other Spain-to-the-NBA stars have done, can be paid in installments
This might change the reality of his buyout to cap costs. But I still think that remaining buyout money plus is getting added to any deal.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,941

Post#86 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 9, 2020 7:29 pm

$6 million (Euro) buyout
minus $1.2 million (Euro) foregone salary
minus $614,927 (Euro) NBA contribution
Campazzo left to pay $4,185,073 (Euro) in installments
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#87 » by No-Man » Sun Aug 9, 2020 10:25 pm

So much ignorance in such a short thread, astonishing

Campazzo is really really good, he is also 6'0 the way the NBA measures, in shoes, 6'0 200 or so, he is strong, physical, pesky and a bully on defense, obviously he is small so the impact won't be major on that end, but he is cut from the same cloth that guys like CP, Lowry and FVV come from

He would probably at least get around $18M for 3 years I'd guess, out of your MLE, and I think it'd def be a fine investment
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#88 » by shangrila » Sun Aug 9, 2020 11:39 pm

I love how people are like "Oh, you're ignorant" or "typical Euro bias".

I watched the video posted earlier in this thread and saw Shved and Larkin blowing by him like he wasn't even there. I didn't just look at his height and say "herp derp he's a bad defender". He can't stay in front of **** Alexey Shved, how does anyone expect him to stay in front of NBA backups?

He's a good Euro player, I've never disputed that. Doesn't mean he's going to translate to the NBA. And if it costs 6mil a year? Yeah, no. Rather give that to McLaughlin. Maybe at 3yr/12mil I'd bite but even that's a tough ask that I'd, again, rather just give to JMac.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#89 » by No-Man » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Dude, Larkin had the best offensive output in Euroleague's history this season, he was a god damn monster and would be a really good NBA guard, the dude had a Steph Curry caliber shooting year, he was unstoppable and blew by anyone

Come back when you watch more than just a highlights vid maybe

Shved is a scoring machine in Europe too, does little else, but he can get buckets

Campazzo isn't just a good euro player, he is a top3 player in Europe, only Larkin and Mirotic are clearly better, and he has the tools/IQ, toughness to translate his game way better than let's say guys like Mike James who are also top5-10 EuroLeague players
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#90 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:12 pm

Fischella wrote:Dude, Larkin had the best offensive output in Euroleague's history this season, he was a god damn monster and would be a really good NBA guard, the dude had a Steph Curry caliber shooting year, he was unstoppable and blew by anyone

Come back when you watch more than just a highlights vid maybe

Shved is a scoring machine in Europe too, does little else, but he can get buckets

Campazzo isn't just a good euro player, he is a top3 player in Europe, only Larkin and Mirotic are clearly better, and he has the tools/IQ, toughness to translate his game way better than let's say guys like Mike James who are also top5-10 EuroLeague players

I'll take your word on it as you seem to know more than these other people making opinions off of one video. Hopefully we can sign him cheap.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#91 » by No-Man » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:29 pm

I think at the very least it'd take something like $10M over 2 years or so

Ideally I'd want to sign him to like $15M over 3 with a TO in the last year, I think he would be well worth that and a real fantastic fit for what this team needs

And yeah, I'd still pick Ball if the Wolves have a shot at him too, Deni is the real ideal fit but you take the talent

Campazzo guarantees you 48minpg of good PG play+ability to take over if D'Lo gets hurt

I'd sign McLaughlin to a real NBA deal, something that gives him money and hopefully team control, but if you want to compete he has to be your 5th/6th Guard to start the season, not your 3rd/4th, sorry
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#92 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:42 pm

Fischella wrote:I think at the very least it'd take something like $10M over 2 years or so

Ideally I'd want to sign him to like $15M over 3 with a TO in the last year, I think he would be well worth that and a real fantastic fit for what this team needs

And yeah, I'd still pick Ball if the Wolves have a shot at him too, Deni is the real ideal fit but you take the talent

Campazzo guarantees you 48minpg of good PG play+ability to take over if D'Lo gets hurt

I'd sign McLaughlin to a real NBA deal, something that gives him money and hopefully team control, but if you want to compete he has to be your 5th/6th Guard to start the season, not your 3rd/4th, sorry

I'm not sure J Mac can't be our 3rd/4th guard. His numbers were ridonkulous. I like the idea of him duking it out with Campazzo. May the best man win. As for Ball we need a PF and SF so much more and I have my doubts that Ball is much more talented than Okongwu and Avdija.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#93 » by No-Man » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:47 pm

Campazzo is a way better player than McLaughlin man, it's not close
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#94 » by NebWolvesFan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:01 pm

Minnesota has the bi-annual exception this year which is 4 million, pretty much what is left in the buyout. I would be surprised with so many PG prospects in this draft if Minnesota used money on a FA PG, but maybe it goes back to my theory that Minnesota is less interested in drafting guys this year and more interested in what vets they can get in trades of draft picks.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#95 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:59 pm

Fischella wrote:Campazzo is a way better player than McLaughlin man, it's not close

Can you explain the ways that Campazzo is better to help us better understand? As I said J Mac put up incredible numbers.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#96 » by minimus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:26 pm

shangrila wrote:I love how people are like "Oh, you're ignorant" or "typical Euro bias".

I watched the video posted earlier in this thread and saw Shved and Larkin blowing by him like he wasn't even there. I didn't just look at his height and say "herp derp he's a bad defender". He can't stay in front of **** Alexey Shved, how does anyone expect him to stay in front of NBA backups?

He's a good Euro player, I've never disputed that. Doesn't mean he's going to translate to the NBA. And if it costs 6mil a year? Yeah, no. Rather give that to McLaughlin. Maybe at 3yr/12mil I'd bite but even that's a tough ask that I'd, again, rather just give to JMac.

Do you realize that both Larkin and Shved are NBA level players?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#97 » by Jedzz » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:49 pm

I see a forum character has come out to play. fyi to the others

This is where I step off for a while.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 

Post#98 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:54 pm

minimus wrote:
shangrila wrote:I love how people are like "Oh, you're ignorant" or "typical Euro bias".

Do you realize that both Larkin and Shved are NBA level players?

The problem most people are probably having is that we saw both Larkin and Shved in the NBA once. And so people are only thinking of them as they were in the NBA. There's no benefit of the doubt of player improvement when they aren't doing it in the NBA. I bet it'd be a similar story if 6.8 ppg rookie Giannis went back home to Greece after his rookie year and kept developing as he did....people would just chalk it up to being a good Euro player who wouldn't translate to the NBA, because they've already seen him in the NBA.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:56 pm

I think I would stop the bidding if his yearly price went past $5 million. Closer to $4 million per would be more ideal...that's more in the range of what we've paid other Euros who came over.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#100 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:27 pm

Klomp wrote:I think I would stop the bidding if his yearly price went past $5 million. Closer to $4 million per would be more ideal...that's more in the range of what we've paid other Euros who came over.

Fischella is very convinced of Campazzo being worth $6 million per year. As the person who knows him best I'll give his opinion extra weight. However, I'm not convinced yet.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves