Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,571

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#801 » by DarkXaero » Tue Aug 4, 2020 4:58 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:@MrDollarBills

Just for fun, some radical trade ideas to take this team towards complete win now mode:

Hypothetical depth chart:

Kyrie/Augustin*/Chiozza
Lavine/TJ*/Crawford
KD/Harris/TLC
Gordon/Kurucs/Chandler
Vuc/DJ/Claxton

or

Kyrie/Augustin*/Chiozza
Lavine/Dunn*/Crawford
KD/Harris/TLC
Gordon/Kurucs/Chandler
Vuc/DJ/Claxton

*FA signings (DJ Augustin, Tyler Johnson, Kris Dunn)

That is a really stacked, and deep roster, with an extremely strong starting lineup, while still retaining really solid depth. Offensively, that team is as good as it can realistically get, and Lavine & Aaron Gordon give us an athleticism boost. Vuc is a stretch 5 who can work in the post, mid range, and he can pass well too. This gives us a five out offense with five scoring threats, including four all star caliber scorers.

For Magic, they get out of Vuc's big contract, and Allen provides them a direct replacement for Vuc, while Bamba also gets more of an opportunity to develop there. They also get a very good PG in Dinwiddie, and a name who has long been rumored to be a target for them. Magic fans seem very willing to sell on Vuc, and AG. The Bulls trade is more simple. Bulls get a replacement for (seemingly unhappy) Lavine in Levert, and picks to compensate for value.

I don't see either trade working, I think the Bulls would want LeVert + another prospect for LaVine, and the Magic would have to do a lot of roster work to even make that trade work.
We can package Kurucs as a prospect or Claxton, although I do believe that Levert + 2 FRPs + 1 SRP is fair value. Especially since Lavine is unhappy with the Bulls, and that team is going nowhere. The Magic trade works salary wise, Magic can throw in another player as filler, and have to create two roster spots, which isn't hard at all given their roster.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#802 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:11 pm

Why would the bulls want levert and non lotto picks?

They get a worse. older. injury prone player and non-lotto picks on a team that already has too much youth. pass.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#803 » by DarkXaero » Wed Aug 5, 2020 7:17 pm

Prokorov wrote:Why would the bulls want levert and non lotto picks?

They get a worse. older. injury prone player and non-lotto picks on a team that already has too much youth. pass.
I don't know what the Bulls want, but Levert is a direct replacement for Lavine. Obviously not as good but does have all star ceiling if he ever gets there, and he makes slightly less money, signed on for longer. I know you don't view Levert as a positive asset, but I think he does have positive value around the league at this point. He hasn't quite put it together but I think teams around the league do recognize his talent & potential. Add in the fact that Lavine hasn't been happy there (could perhaps submit trade request), and there's belief among Bulls & fans, that he'll bounce in FA when he gets the chance. The picks are decent compensation for Lavine's higher value. I think you guys are perhaps overestimating Lavine's value, because I don't see teams offering a player of Levert's caliber + multiple firsts for him. If someone offers a lotto pick for him, it'll be in this year's draft, which is incredibly weak.

You can never have too much youth when you're a rebuilding team, which is what Bulls are. Most of their fans are in favor of a proper rebuild. New management might feel the same way. Also if you look at the Bulls roster, Coby White is the only noteworthy prospect on that roster. Lauri has regressed to the point where Bulls fans are in favor of trading him now, WCJ has shown no progress, Denzel Valentine is bust, and Kris Dunn is an elite defender with garbage offense. Daniel Gafford has been a solid 2nd round pick, but that's about it.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#804 » by DarkXaero » Thu Aug 6, 2020 6:18 pm

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bulls/2020/8/6/21357168/bulls-jim-boylen-financial-concerns

If true, this makes Bulls sellers in the upcoming offseason, and greatly increases chances of Lavine (and other Bulls) wanting out.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,486

Post#805 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:14 pm

With what we are seeing, should the Nets bite the bullet and go into next season with Kyrie, LeVert, Dinwiddie, Johnson and Chiozza in the backcourt?

Do we keep Jarrett Allen? Allen looks like a complete stud out there. And his passing has improved dramatically and he is catching passes cleanly.

Joe Harris absolutely be retained and the discussions should already be underway frankly.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#806 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:08 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:With what we are seeing, should the Nets bite the bullet and go into next season with Kyrie, LeVert, Dinwiddie, Johnson and Chiozza in the backcourt?

Do we keep Jarrett Allen? Allen looks like a complete stud out there. And his passing has improved dramatically and he is catching passes cleanly.

Joe Harris absolutely be retained and the discussions should already be underway frankly.

I think we should keep Allen. You don't move a young starting caliber center because you have an aging Jordan. ROI may be reduced over the next 2 years because if it, but given Marks comes from the sustained winning Spurs philosophy, I can't see him trade long term pieces for one shot.

Personally, I would try to keep LeVert and Allen, and move Dinwiddie in a package for a defensive upgrade. If we go into next season with the same fully healthy roster, I would still be very confident.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#807 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:20 pm

Read on Twitter

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#808 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:22 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:With what we are seeing, should the Nets bite the bullet and go into next season with Kyrie, LeVert, Dinwiddie, Johnson and Chiozza in the backcourt?

I think we should keep Allen. You don't move a young starting caliber center because you have an aging Jordan. ROI may be reduced over the next 2 years because if it, but given Marks comes from the sustained winning Spurs philosophy, I can't see him trade long term pieces for one shot.

Personally, I would try to keep LeVert and Allen, and move Dinwiddie in a package for a defensive upgrade. If we go into next season with the same fully healthy roster, I would still be very confident.

I believe Dinwiddie will most likely leave regardless, dude will command big money on the open market. Maybe we can trade him for a team that is looking for cap relief due to the salary cap contracting???

TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#809 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:33 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

I believe Dinwiddie will most likely leave regardless, dude will command big money on the open market. Maybe we can trade him for a team that is looking for cap relief due to the salary cap contracting???

I think you have to trade Dinwiddie to a team that will need his bird rights and is willing to pay him the money he'll command in order to get decent value. The return on an expiring contract would not be fair value.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#810 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:51 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:I think we should keep Allen. You don't move a young starting caliber center because you have an aging Jordan. ROI may be reduced over the next 2 years because if it, but given Marks comes from the sustained winning Spurs philosophy, I can't see him trade long term pieces for one shot.

I think you have to trade Dinwiddie to a team that will need his bird rights and is willing to pay him the money he'll command in order to get decent value. The return on an expiring contract would not be fair value.

Our most glaring need imo is the need for an athletic wing defender. Not sure where we would get one from

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#811 » by Papi_swav » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:36 pm

Very difficult decision. I would love to keep our guys Din, Levert, Harris first and foremost. BUt we really need some wing defense . I would trade Prince if we can get a better wing defender in return. I like a guy like Dunn. We also have that new kid that plays pretty good defense, I forgot his name. But we definitely need some defenders a guard, wing and big man.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#812 » by DarkXaero » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:55 pm

To answer your first question, no. We have a lot of ball dominant guys, and there isn't much logic to keeping all of them, when the roster has notable areas of weakness that can be strengthened (PF for example). It's working right now because the team is depleted, and some guys are getting a chance to show what they can do. As dumb as Shaq can be on TV, he has said the same thing about the Nets on TNT, and he's right (that it remains a big question mark)

For your second question, after the improvement that I'm seeing from Allen in the bubble, I'm leaning towards yes, but not a definitive yes. I think if Nets can get an actual third star or all star caliber talent in a trade, then he's dispensable, provided that we can sign a backup C in free agency (or trade).

And yep, Joe Harris has to be kept 100%, even if he isn't part of long term plans. But my thinking is that Joe is exactly the kind of role player to thrive around KD/Kyrie, so it'd be dumb to lose him regardless.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#813 » by Stone » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:32 pm

Do we really need a third star?

Look at the favorites to win it this year......I'm guessing most people would say The bucks, Raptors,Lakers or Clippers. None of these teams has a third star. Why trade away players that have been with us for years that have proven their value?

If I'm Sean Marks I would try to keep 1-12. We also have to consider the Bubble guys TJ and Cheese. If anything make a move at the deadline.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#814 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:20 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Our most glaring need imo is the need for an athletic wing defender. Not sure where we would get one from

I would try to blow the Sun's away with a godfather offer for Mikal Bridges (a 3&D archetype), but that's wishful thinking. The Dinwiddie-Gordon as principles scenario was always popular. A RoCo deal, unless Houston goes nuclear, would start with Allen, whom I would rather retain. Cost conscious Chicago probably would gift Porter if someone is willing to gamble on his health.

Assuming we start KD, Kyrie, Harris, and Allen/Jordan, the most important skill set is perimeter defense, followed by catch and shoot from long range.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#815 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:19 am

Stone wrote:Do we really need a third star?

Look at the favorites to win it this year......I'm guessing most people would say The bucks, Raptors,Lakers or Clippers. None of these teams has a third star. Why trade away players that have been with us for years that have proven their value?

If I'm Sean Marks I would try to keep 1-12. We also have to consider the Bubble guys TJ and Cheese. If anything make a move at the deadline.

This is a fair question, to which I would respond, "it depends".

Looking at the favorites, you may not view Eric Bledsoe (behind Giannis and Khris), Fred Van Vleet (behind Lowry and SIakam), Danny Green or Patrick Beverly to be 3rd stars. BUT, from an advanced statistical perspective, all 4 of them are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Caris in terms of winning in the context of a tertiary role. Their efficiency is not dependent on high usage, unlike Caris. In fact, their efficiency improves in off-ball roles, whereas Levert's declines as he sees less of the rock. You need stars who don't need the ball, in order to balance out a system. Also, these guys are all plus-defenders and above-average catch-and-shoot marksmen, two further hits to Caris' long-term fit in Brooklyn.

Ultimately, the market will determine whether it makes sense to trade for a 3rd star. When I say star, I don't mean another 26ppg scorer, we don't need scoring. We need long, athletic, cerebral, low-usage 3&D types. Kyrie has the 1 locked up; Joe is a 2 or a 3, depending on who else is on the wing. Kevin is our 4, and whomever of DJ or JA is left in town is our 5. With one starting wing spot open, I would love to see us target Otto Porter, Victor Oladipo, Josh Richardson and/or Robert Covington. Any of those 4 would bring more of what we need than CLV, as much as I love him and his development. If none of them are available, I'll pass on Beal, Lavine, Booker, McCollum and others. Those guys might be out of our price range, anyway.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#816 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:11 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Stone wrote:Do we really need a third star?

This is a fair question, to which I would respond, "it depends".

Looking at the favorites, you may not view Eric Bledsoe (behind Giannis and Khris), Fred Van Vleet (behind Lowry and SIakam), Danny Green or Patrick Beverly to be 3rd stars. BUT, from an advanced statistical perspective, all 4 of them are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Caris in terms of winning in the context of a tertiary role. Their efficiency is not dependent on high usage, unlike Caris. In fact, their efficiency improves in off-ball roles, whereas Levert's declines as he sees less of the rock. You need stars who don't need the ball, in order to balance out a system. Also, these guys are all plus-defenders and above-average catch-and-shoot marksmen, two further hits to Caris' long-term fit in Brooklyn.

Ultimately, the market will determine whether it makes sense to trade for a 3rd star. When I say star, I don't mean another 26ppg scorer, we don't need scoring. We need long, athletic, cerebral, low-usage 3&D types. Kyrie has the 1 locked up; Joe is a 2 or a 3, depending on who else is on the wing. Kevin is our 4, and whomever of DJ or JA is left in town is our 5. With one starting wing spot open, I would love to see us target Otto Porter, Victor Oladipo, Josh Richardson and/or Robert Covington. Any of those 4 would bring more of what we need than CLV, as much as I love him and his development. If none of them are available, I'll pass on Beal, Lavine, Booker, McCollum and others. Those guys might be out of our price range, anyway.

well said.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#817 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:33 pm

The Brooklyn Nets will conduct a full-scale head coaching search to identify the best partner for team ownership, the front office, coaching staff and players, sources tell Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Jacque Vaughn will receive serious consideration as the incumbent.

Sean Marks will work closely with ownership and his front office in the search.

Jason Kidd, Ime Udoka, Ty Lue and Jeff Van Gundy are serious external candidates.

I am HIGHLY skeptical that Kidd is a candidate.

Either keep Vaughn, who deserves a fair shot at the job, or get us a serious name. Jason Kidd is an absolute hard pass. We already know he's a snake, but go ask Bucks fans what happened to their team the moment they booted him for a stud coach like Coach Bud.

NetsJets
Starter
And1: 657

Post#818 » by NetsJets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 657

Post#819 » by NetsJets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:37 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
The Brooklyn Nets will conduct a full-scale head coaching search to identify the best partner for team ownership, the front office, coaching staff and players, sources tell Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Jacque Vaughn will receive serious consideration as the incumbent.

Sean Marks will work closely with ownership and his front office in the search.

Jason Kidd, Ime Udoka, Ty Lue and Jeff Van Gundy are serious external candidates.

I am HIGHLY skeptical that Kidd is a candidate.

Either keep Vaughn, who deserves a fair shot at the job, or get us a serious name. Jason Kidd is an absolute hard pass. We already know he's a snake, but go ask Bucks fans what happened to their team the moment they booted him for a stud coach like Coach Bud.

For what the Nets will be next season a coach like Kidd makes sense. His purpose will be to manage the egos and we have a few guys on this team with egos like KD, Kyrie, Dinwiddie, DJ, LeVert.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#820 » by Claud » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:53 pm

Bruh I can totally see Jkidd being back as our coach.

Perfect redemption arch.

I'm more opened to keeping Vaughn as our coach but I still think we should do our due diligence and inquire around the league.

Return to Brooklyn Nets