ImageImageImage

Joel Embiid

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,792

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#341 » by eyeatoma » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:12 pm

We completely squandered any chance at a championship with this team babying Ben Simmons, and Josh Harris trying to have too much say in personnel decisions. Should have kept Hinkie, but once we were given a get out of jail free card with the Colangelo mess, you can't **** that up. Guaranteed we would be in the ECF or finals by now if it wasn't for our incompetent management and health staff. Probably **** up Markelle's shoulder, and ruined Ben's back. How do I get this taste out of my mouth?
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Post#342 » by XtremeDunkz » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:27 pm

I watched every game through the process years because it was a calculated plan. A plan that Sam and the front office were completely open about. I watch every game now because of Joel and Ben. If something happens that causes us to become a middling 7th seed team, or to suck out of pure incompetence i think I would lose interest in the NBA for good. This was so hard to mess up, and they made all the wrong moves.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#343 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:04 am

But do you guys understand that JJ is maybe a season away from retiring and Ben won’t settle to be on the dunker spot with Jimmy? Maybe we even lose Tobias in the process.

And in the end it all worked out with now Biid buying into our team’s roster construction. Al playing well with him and being a reliable C whenever he’s not playing (on the bench or injured). And very likely even prolonging Biid’s career.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#344 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:10 am

But overall I think we are still in a good position to win it.

And if ever there was anything that squandered our plan, it’s relying too much on Ben and buying into the hype.

I honestly want to see him develop and is rooting hard for him. But he’s just the same player since LSU and he just doesn’t have the touch in or outside the paint nor scoring instinct. It’s as if he needs to turn into someone he’s not and he’s just not comfortable with it.

He’s basically the opposite of Carmelo Anthony. And just as toxic, considering everything, IMO.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,884

Post#345 » by Wilfried » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:48 am

Some interesting stuff

Kova
Veteran
And1: 709

Post#346 » by Kova » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:13 am

If Joel wasn't so attached to the city and the fans, being a genuine and loyal character, he'd be gone by now.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#347 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:54 pm

We've reached the point where front office & coaching changes need to be forthcoming. I could see Joel and/or Ben eventually demanding a trade if this carnival continues.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,608

Post#348 » by mithrandir17 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:08 pm

Read on Twitter
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,608

Post#349 » by mithrandir17 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:13 pm

I hope that they are just sitting Embiid out vs the Suns since it's the first game of back to back games and they will play Embiid against the raptors even if it is on a minute restriction.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#350 » by rzzzzz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:12 pm

Wilfried wrote:Some interesting stuff

yeah, i listened to it. what i got out of it was:

1. JoJo was furious with the moves made last summer. if the team wanted to build around him, they would have kept Jimmy and JJ. he admits he went into the fall season with little enthusiasm, and apologizes for it.

2. JoJo wants to play on the block. he doesn't care if it's "old fashioned", he thinks he can dominate from there. he says he mainly goes out to the perimeter to open up the paint for Ben.

3. He was frustrated with getting injured after the collision with Fultz two years ago heading into the playoffs. and he's embarrassed by how he played in them last year, even though he was both injured and sick. This year he's healthy and he's determined to prove that he's a serious threat to every opponent. he also says he sees some potential working with Shake.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#351 » by eagereyez » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:56 pm

rzzzzz wrote:

1. JoJo was furious with the moves made last summer. if the team wanted to build around him, they would have kept Jimmy and JJ. he admits he went into the fall season with little enthusiasm, and apologizes for it.

2. JoJo wants to play on the block. he doesn't care if it's "old fashioned", he thinks he can dominate from there. he says he mainly goes out to the perimeter to open up the paint for Ben.

3. He was frustrated with getting injured after the collision with Fultz two years ago heading into the playoffs. and he's embarrassed by how he played in them last year, even though he was both injured and sick. This year he's healthy and he's determined to prove that he's a serious threat to every opponent. he also says he sees some potential working with Shake.

Embiid has every right to be furious. He is the best player on the Sixers and the Sixers are not building around him. His strength is scoring in the post. What do you do to help someone score in the post? You surround him with shooters to provide spacing. And if for some reason the post is not working, then what is another way to get him easy buckets? The pick and roll. Neither of those two things are emphasized with the current roster construction. And Simmons does not help Embiid with spacing or the pick and roll.

You can tell that Embiid is trying to be the consummate teammate. He acts like Simmons hit a game winner every time he makes a 3. He continues to encourage him to shoot more. And Simmons still refuses to shoot. Embiid is being too nice. He needs to assert himself more - if the team is not maximizing his strengths, then he needs to let it be known loud and clear.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,461

Post#352 » by elchengue20 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:10 pm

Im glad people are starting to realize how much we are wasting Embiid prime by forcing him to fit with Simmons. We need to trade Simmons and build around Embiid. Its the best chance we have to contend for a championship.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#353 » by rzzzzz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:24 pm

elchengue20 wrote:Im glad people are starting to realize how much we are wasting Embiid prime by forcing him to fit with Simmons. We need to trade Simmons and build around Embiid. Its the best chance we have to contend for a championship.

yeah, we may have to trade Simmons eventually. but i really like some of the stuff he was trying out just after the break, before getting hurt the first time. i really like him playing front line forward on the offensive end. i think Brett gets some credit for making (allowing?) the move, but it wasn't any great Shakes. its unfortunate that Ben will probably not be back, but i still want to stick to a timetable that Brett has this playoff to show us something substantial, or we make the move. i swear i think Phil would know how to get serious offense out of Ben and Embiid.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#354 » by the_process » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:02 pm

eagereyez wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:

Embiid has every right to be furious. He is the best player on the Sixers and the Sixers are not building around him. His strength is scoring in the post. What do you do to help someone score in the post? You surround him with shooters to provide spacing. And if for some reason the post is not working, then what is another way to get him easy buckets? The pick and roll. Neither of those two things are emphasized with the current roster construction. And Simmons does not help Embiid with spacing or the pick and roll.

You can tell that Embiid is trying to be the consummate teammate. He acts like Simmons hit a game winner every time he makes a 3. He continues to encourage him to shoot more. And Simmons still refuses to shoot. Embiid is being too nice. He needs to assert himself more - if the team is not maximizing his strengths, then he needs to let it be known loud and clear.

Just feel like it needs more emphasis.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#355 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:49 am

In a way it's nice to play the Celtics as an underdog without Simmons. They still don't have an answer for Jo so if the other guys step up, we could make some noise. On the other hand it sucks not having Simmons to throw at their wings.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#356 » by kuclas » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:54 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:In a way it's nice to play the Celtics as an underdog without Simmons. They still don't have an answer for Jo so if the other guys step up, we could make some noise. On the other hand it sucks not having Simmons to throw at their wings.

The key is to gets Celtics big men In foul trouble. If embiid hadn’t gotten hurt. He would have fouled out both Collins and nurtic or caused serious early penalty situations for the sixers.

Get Celtics big men In foul trouble. Celtics in big trouble. Than it becomes Celtics being force to truly double team hard on embiid down low. Embiid just needs to find the right open offensive player. There are gonna to be a ton of open shots or dribble drive opportunities without Simmons being a non shooter.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#357 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:32 am

kuclas wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:In a way it's nice to play the Celtics as an underdog without Simmons. They still don't have an answer for Jo so if the other guys step up, we could make some noise. On the other hand it sucks not having Simmons to throw at their wings.

The key is to gets Celtics big men In foul trouble. If embiid hadn’t gotten hurt. He would have fouled out both Collins and nurtic or caused serious early penalty situations for the sixers.

Get Celtics big men In foul trouble. Celtics in big trouble. Than it becomes Celtics being force to truly double team hard on embiid down low. Embiid just needs to find the right open offensive player. There are gonna to be a ton of open shots or dribble drive opportunities without Simmons being a non shooter.

And even if they don't get into foul trouble, Daniel Theis and Enes Kanter aren't exactly viable options without help. Stevens has a great defensive mind though, so I'm sure he'll make it harder than it sounds.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#358 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:37 pm

Wondering if the big fella will play tonight against his arch nemesis Gasol.

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#359 » by Negrodamus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:04 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Wondering if the big fella will play tonight against his arch nemesis Gasol.

I think we're probably doing the same lineup as yesterday in order to get the OKC pick. These games don't seem to have much effect on anything else other than that.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,653

Post#360 » by stormi » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:56 am

Read on Twitter

So skinny and agile

Return to Philadelphia 76ers