2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Are you happy with the Thunder’s draft night decisions?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Yes
36%
No
18%
Not sure
45%

Total votes: 11

thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#181 » by thor19 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 1:08 pm

itzmrgigglez wrote:Can we actually get a 3 and D guy? Someone who actually knows how to shoot 3s and defend Plus comfortable handling the ball. I’m tired of projects on the wing who can’t truly score let alone shoot a 3. Roberson, Ferguson, Diallo, Nader, Burton .

Dort is our best option forward if we don’t draft one or get one in free agency

Idk about Bazley as he could play the 4 primarily

We need shooters and to stop acting like every good defensive prospect can/will be a good shooter with practice

Thats true , guys can improved but not everyone is going to become Curry with the defenses of Kawhi , we need to start drafting player that can shoot even if they are not are great defenders, we have a lot of guys that can cover that area. And I know that are draft position you select the best prospect and hope that he develop, but sometimes we shoot our self in the foot using.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,202

Post#182 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 6, 2020 2:10 pm

It’s odd that the front office thinks they can teach non shooter athletes to shoot, but not non defender shooters to be become better defenders.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#183 » by getrichordie » Thu Aug 6, 2020 2:56 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:It’s odd that the front office thinks they can teach non shooter athletes to shoot, but not non defender shooters to be become better defenders.

I think the problem is more so that we've been picking later in the first round where there just aren't many guys who are good shooters who also have the athleticism to be positive defenders, enough so that it makes an impact next to a Westbrook.

I've talked about how our spacing was so poor due to having 3 guys (sometimes 4) on the floor at the same time that couldn't space the floor and how our defense was our saving grace...

The shooters we have drafted just never had the tools to be solid defenders (Abrines, Payne, etc.).

I do also wonder if Presti's success w/ Westbrook, Ibaka and Jackson led to him obsessively trying to find guys who could make the same shooting leap...

I hope our approach to the draft changes now that we have different pieces on the court. I think that if Presti doesn't draft a guy who can shoot, things will not end well for him in the eyes of fans.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#184 » by getrichordie » Thu Aug 6, 2020 9:54 pm

Robert Woodard II gets my stamp of approval for our FRP. He's going to be a good two-way wing.

+ really good athlete
+ really good defender (2.0 STL% + 3.4 BLK% this past year)
+ nice high release on jumpshot
+ 98th percentile on 3-pt jump shots

[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#185 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:54 pm

getrichordie wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:It’s odd that the front office thinks they can teach non shooter athletes to shoot, but not non defender shooters to be become better defenders.

I think the problem is more so that we've been picking later in the first round where there just aren't many guys who are good shooters who also have the athleticism to be positive defenders, enough so that it makes an impact next to a Westbrook.

Somewhat, yes. In the case of diallo we actually purchased a specific player who had already been drafted by the nets so it’s clearly a philosophy from the front office.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
thor19
Junior

Post#186 » by thor19 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:19 am

Which pick can we get if trade a package of our first and second pick this year and one of ferguson or diallo (prefer if we trade ferguson)
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#187 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:27 am

thor19 wrote:Which pick can we get if trade a package of our first and second pick this year and one of ferguson or diallo (prefer if we trade ferguson)

I don’t think that entices any team to bite. You never see opposing teams fans proposing trades to get Ferguson or diallo from okc On the t&t board. There is a pretty good reason for that. Maybe our second round pick allows us to trade up a position or two if someone else wants to trade down.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#188 » by Galloisdaman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:52 pm

Off topic but my NY Rangers had a record 54 year streak without a #1 pick. They just won the draft lottery despite only having a 2.5% chance of winning. That is nuts!
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#189 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:38 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:Off topic but my NY Rangers had a record 54 year streak without a #1 pick. They just won the draft lottery despite only having a 2.5% chance of winning. That is nuts!

It’s why you should never stop tanking, no matter the odds.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#190 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:19 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:Off topic but my NY Rangers had a record 54 year streak without a #1 pick. They just won the draft lottery despite only having a 2.5% chance of winning. That is nuts!

It’s why you should never stop tanking, no matter the odds.

2 things.

1. I read 2.5% but later read 12.5% so I'm not sure which it was in reality.

2. The Rangers didn't tank. They fought to make the playoffs and did make the qualifier playoff round which was made for this 2020 season. The teams in the qualifier playoff round were eligible for the lottery.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
thor19
Junior

Post#191 » by thor19 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:54 am

This trade idea was on the trade board

Hawks trade:
Better of HOU/MIA 2020 2nd

Hawks get:
Oubre
Rubio

Suns trade:
Oubre
Rubio
Jerome

Suns get:
Paul

Thunder trade:
Paul

Thunder get:
Jerome

Hawks use their cap space to get a useful forward for a year while Hunter/Reddish continue to develop and a backup PG who can also play next to Trae some.

Suns look to take the next step building on their bubble success by upgrading to Paul at simply the salary difference between Paul and Rubio's last year.

Thunder continue on with the original plan of collecting assets, by clearing out the last two big years on Paul's contract to have cap space to sell.
thor19
Junior

Post#192 » by thor19 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:58 am

thor19 wrote:This trade idea was on the trade board

Hawks trade:

Hawks get:
Oubre
Rubio

Suns trade:
Oubre
Rubio
Jerome

Suns get:
Paul

Thunder trade:
Paul

Thunder get:
Jerome

Hawks use their cap space to get a useful forward for a year while Hunter/Reddish continue to develop and a backup PG who can also play next to Trae some.

Suns look to take the next step building on their bubble success by upgrading to Paul at simply the salary difference between Paul and Rubio's last year.

Thunder continue on with the original plan of collecting assets, by clearing out the last two big years on Paul's contract to have cap space to sell.

For me is one of the worst trade ideas ever for okc we get ty jerome and cap relief and hawks for only a second get ricky rubio and kelly oubre and suns get cp3 best player on that deal by far and a second !! If thats the trade other team want for cp3 just let him finish his contract here or trade him after next season
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#193 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:55 am

Spoiler:
thor19 wrote:
thor19 wrote:This trade idea was on the trade board

Hawks trade:

Hawks get:
Oubre
Rubio

Suns trade:
Oubre
Rubio
Jerome

Suns get:
Paul

Thunder trade:
Paul

Thunder get:
Jerome

For me is one of the worst trade ideas ever for okc we get ty jerome and cap relief and hawks for only a second get ricky rubio and kelly oubre and suns get cp3 best player on that deal by far and a second !! If thats the trade other team want for cp3 just let him finish his contract here or trade him after next season

In a normal world, I think CP3 could would get a better return. I really don't have any idea what trades, free agency and salaries are going to look like going forward. On one hand his salary is prohibitive. On the other hand, all teams are going to have bad salary if the cap drops and there will be limited ways for them to improve their rosters. I can see there being very few trades this off season.

I guess my biggest question with this deal is that it says the thunder would want cap space to sell. If salary is a real issue with the organization then I can see a deal like this happening. However I don't think they'll use their cap space to take on bad contracts. I think they'll just save money. If the thunder aren't any worse off financially than other teams then I think Presti might want more assets in a return.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#194 » by getrichordie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 am

If the Thunder split the last two games = .611 W/L% ; if the Thunder lose the last two games = .597 W/L%

If the Jazz win their last game = .611 W/L% ; If the Jazz lose their last game = .597 W/L%

If the Pacers split their last two games = .603 W/L%; If the Pacers lose their last two games = .589 W/L% ; If Pacers win their last two games = .616 W/L%

If the 76ers win their last two games = .603 W/L% ; if the 76ers split their last two games = .589 W/L%

So if... 76ers win their last two games + the Jazz win their last game and/or the Pacers split their last two games + the Thunder lose the last two games... our pick will not convey.

If the Thunder split the last two games + the Jazz win their last game + the Pacers win their last two games... the pick will not convey.

If the Thunder lose the last two games + the Jazz lose their last game + the Pacers split their last two games... the pick will not convey.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#195 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:33 am

I hope we get the pick but obviously if it was a priority then we can’t want until this point to make sure we get it.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#196 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:32 pm

Go pacers!
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#197 » by Catchall » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:32 pm

getrichordie wrote:If the Thunder split the last two games = .611 W/L% ; if the Thunder lose the last two games = .597 W/L%

If the Jazz win their last game = .611 W/L% ; If the Jazz lose their last game = .597 W/L%

If the Pacers split their last two games = .603 W/L%; If the Pacers lose their last two games = .589 W/L% ; If Pacers win their last two games = .616 W/L%

If the 76ers win their last two games = .603 W/L% ; if the 76ers split their last two games = .589 W/L%

So if... 76ers win their last two games + the Jazz win their last game and/or the Pacers split their last two games + the Thunder lose the last two games... our pick will not convey.

If the Thunder split the last two games + the Jazz win their last game + the Pacers win their last two games... the pick will not convey.

If the Thunder lose the last two games + the Jazz lose their last game + the Pacers split their last two games... the pick will not convey.

If the Thunder lose their 2 remaining games, and the Jazz lose their remaining game against the Spurs, then the Jazz and Thunder would be tied in the W/L column. OKC would get the #5 seed due to holding the tie-breaker. However, there would likely be a coin-toss to determine the draft order at 20 and 21. So it's possible that OKC's pick owed to the Sixers would not convey this year (if OKC wins the coin-toss).

Also, in addition to the above, if the Sixers win their final two games, the coin-toss between Utah and OKC would be for picks 19 and 20, meaning OKC's pick to the Sixers would not convey this year. This adds an interesting twist, since it's the Sixers that are owed the pick. OKC and Philly can think about whether they want the pick to convey this year or next.

BTW, the Jazz have announced that they're resting Gobert and Conley in their last game against the Spurs. They're not trying to win, it seems. They're comfortable with the 6 seed and a matchup most likely with Denver.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#198 » by getrichordie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:42 pm

Catchall wrote:
getrichordie wrote:If the Thunder split the last two games = .611 W/L% ; if the Thunder lose the last two games = .597 W/L%

If the Thunder lose their 2 remaining games, and the Jazz lose their remaining game against the Spurs, then the Jazz and Thunder would be tied in the W/L column. OKC would get the #5 seed due to holding the tie-breaker. However, there would likely be a coin-toss to determine the draft order at 20 and 21. So it's possible that OKC's pick owed to the Sixers would not convey this year (if OKC wins the coin-toss).

Also, in addition to the above, if the Sixers win their final two games, the coin-toss between Utah and OKC would be for picks 19 and 20, meaning OKC's pick to the Sixers would not convey this year. This adds an interesting twist, since it's the Sixers that are owed the pick. OKC and Philly can think about whether they want the pick to convey this year or next.

BTW, the Jazz have announced that they're resting Gobert and Conley in their last game against the Spurs. They're not trying to win, it seems. They're comfortable with the 6 seed and a matchup most likely with Denver.

Good point and great additional information. However, no pick would be conveyed next year from OKC to PHI as things currently stand:

2020 first round draft pick to Philadelphia
Oklahoma City's 2020 1st round pick to Philadelphia (via Philadelphia to Orlando) protected for selections 1-20; if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Oklahoma City will instead convey its 2022 2nd round pick and 2023 2nd round pick to Philadelphia
[twitter] @thunderdustin
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#199 » by sonictecture » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:06 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Somewhat, yes. In the case of diallo we actually purchased a specific player who had already been drafted by the nets so it’s clearly a philosophy from the front office.

The pick that was used to select Diallo was traded for, Diallo wasn't purchased. Presti targeted Diallo and found a deal to get an extra second round pick and gave up a future second and cash.

Look at the 2018 draft. Diallo was selected at 45th overall. There were two other players deemed shooters still on the draft board, in Mykhailiuk (Kansas) and Hall (Virginia). Should Presti have targeted Mykhailiuk over Diallo?

I don't think the organization is as rigid as they are made out to be. It is important to look at the context of every player acquisition.
Was Darius Bazley drafted because he was an athlete?

It should be clear why Presti has a team building strategy of targeting long athletic players when available, but these are not the only attributes being targeted.
thor19
Junior

Post#200 » by thor19 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:31 pm

Which position do you guys think we draft , to be honest I draft bpa. We need every position

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder