[Better Prospect?] — Isaac Okoro or Devin Vassell?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Who is the better prospect?

Isaac Okoro
35%
Devin Vassell
65%

Total votes: 106

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: [Better Prospect?] — Isaac Okoro or Devin Vassell? 

Post#21 » by No-Man » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:26 pm

I don't think you are lying on any of that, he is also 6'5 bf with a 6'8 wingspan and PF skills at the moment, yes he is more explosive-quicker than Winslow (I made the point myself) but he is also less skilled even if he has good vision/feel too, worse scorer/shooter/handler at the same state (not close)

Winslow didn't need a role, as a matter of fact he hit open jumpers okay, he can be a connector on offense, and he was right away an impactful defender who could be played at any position on the court on that end as a rookie, which I doubt Okoro would be able to do considering he lacks size and length vs Winslow (who already got mediocre length really)

Does he have better outcomes than Winslow due to better physical tools? yeah possibly, are they likely as ceilings? no, what I can tell you that is likely is that he won't be good enough as a shooter or scorer

If Okoro in his prime is a 2nd-3rd option in a NBA team, it'd probably be in a terrible team offensively or him hitting, again, an unrealsitic high end outcome, which albeit possible, I am not comfortable betting on
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#22 » by King Ken » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:44 pm

Fischella wrote:I don't think you are lying on any of that, he is also 6'5 bf with a 6'8 wingspan and PF skills at the moment, yes he is more explosive-quicker than Winslow (I made the point myself) but he is also less skilled even if he has good vision/feel too, worse scorer/shooter/handler at the same state (not close)

Winslow didn't need a role, as a matter of fact he hit open jumpers okay, he can be a connector on offense, and he was right away an impactful defender who could be played at any position on the court on that end as a rookie, which I doubt Okoro would be able to do considering he lacks size and length vs Winslow (who already got mediocre length really)

Does he have better outcomes than Winslow due to better physical tools? yeah possibly, are they likely as ceilings? no, what I can tell you that is likely is that he won't be good enough as a shooter or scorer

If Okoro in his prime is a 2nd-3rd option in a NBA team, it'd probably be in a terrible team offensively or him hitting, again, an unrealsitic high end outcome, which albeit possible, I am not comfortable betting on

He's 6'6 225 with functional strength. He's not just heavy, he's extremely strong, especially for his age. While wingspan matters for shot contest, functional strength matters more for a big wing as we have seen with Torrey Craig when it comes to PnR defense, switching, and versatility unless you are really long to make up for the lack of functional strength.

He is much more explosive, much quicker, superior off the ball, much better body control, superior first step compared to Winslow. While Winslow as a prospect was far more skilled, a sound shooter, a much more polished handler, these skills can be learned to a degree. He might never be what Winslow is at this today, he doesn't need to be. Winslow is a Point-forward. Okoro is a forward with good vision and feeling for the game. They aren't the same. They don't even have the same body type. Okoro is a freak athlete with freakish strength. Winslow is a rare case of size, feel, skill, handles, creation for others, and versatility if he could stay healthy.

Winslow clearly needed a role. Miami tried him in so many areas over the years till they moved him to MEM where he's been, of course, injured.

Yes, he does have a much better outcome not just due to his physical tools because he also has the BBIQ, intangibles, his feel for the game, and most importantly, the movement skills. He does have to work on his shooting. He can't be shooting 21% from three thinking he can add value to the rotation. That's not possible but at some point, 33-35% from three on low volume will be passable.

There is a lot of ways you can score in the NBA. You don't have to be Joe Harris where you live at the 3pt line to score in this league. This is a fluid game where PPP is king. Okoro can be someone's 2nd or 3rd option because he will be a tough cover, not just because like you are trying to say.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#23 » by Catchall » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:07 pm

Okoro gets downhill efficiently and gets on top of the rim so easily. His offensive game reminds me of Corey Maggette. Yes he needs to improve his shooting, both from 3 and from mid-range, but on a spaced floor he'll be forceful going to the rim.

He's probably not going to create much for others with the ball in his hands, but I'm not sure Vassell will either.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#24 » by No-Man » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Maggette is a fine comp for possible offensive upside, but again Maggette hit 3s (even if he didn't shoot them enough) and high 80s from the FT and was a blackhole as a passer, whereas Okoro can pass, also Corey to me was more athletic to be honest, dunk contest freak type
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#25 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:19 pm

I mean Vassell is absolutely the better player right now, but Okoro is hands down the better prospect based on upside due to freakish athletic ability and speed. That being said facing the unlikley scenario that Okoro never develops a J that is reliable above 30% I am taking vassell and hope his development makes him one of the best value picks in the draft in the 5-8 range.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#26 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:49 pm

Okoro reminds me of Jimmy Butler as a comp, anyone else like that? He’s strong like Butler, has a little bit of a slower release on his shot like Butler, and is expected to be fierce defensively like Butler.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#27 » by Chi town » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Okoro has big time upside with his athleticism and feel for the game. He makes plays. His shot will hurt him for awhile but he will make up for it with winning defensive plays, transition scoring, and attacking the rim with a better spaced court. Also think he will play some jimmy butler bully ball and draw lots of fouls.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#28 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:43 pm

Chi town wrote:Okoro has big time upside with his athleticism and feel for the game. He makes plays. His shot will hurt him for awhile but he will make up for it with winning defensive plays, transition scoring, and attacking the rim with a better spaced court. Also think he will play some jimmy butler bully ball and draw lots of fouls.

The probalem with Okoro is if his 1-4 defense does not transfer like expected...then he might be out of the league in 4 yrs or no better than say an Okogie or Powell if the shooting never comes around who would be then considered overpicked in the lottery meanwhile Vassell could prove to be far more successful since his floor as the most prototypical 3/d prospect in the draft is much higher, his athleticism isnt too shabby either and paired with a high level high release could be the next poor mans Kawhi in 3-5 years if he can improve his attacking ability.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#29 » by Chi town » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Chi town wrote:Okoro has big time upside with his athleticism and feel for the game. He makes plays. His shot will hurt him for awhile but he will make up for it with winning defensive plays, transition scoring, and attacking the rim with a better spaced court. Also think he will play some jimmy butler bully ball and draw lots of fouls.

The probalem with Okoro is if his 1-4 defense does not transfer like expected...then he might be out of the league in 4 yrs or no better than say an Okogie or Powell if the shooting never comes around who would be then considered overpicked in the lottery meanwhile Vassell could prove to be far more successful since his floor as the most prototypical 3/d prospect in the draft is much higher, his athleticism isnt too shabby either and paired with a high level high release could be the next poor mans Kawhi in 3-5 years if he can improve his attacking ability.

Okoros upside is Jimmy Butler. Floor is Powell. Good comp.

As for Vassell I see his upside as Robert Covington. A good piece but a complimentary piece. You take Okoro every time. Worth the risk.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#30 » by getrichordie » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:15 pm

Okoro's floor is PJ Tucker IMO.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#31 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:14 pm

Chi town wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Okoros upside is Jimmy Butler. Floor is Powell. Good comp.

As for Vassell I see his upside as Robert Covington. A good piece but a complimentary piece. You take Okoro every time. Worth the risk.

I guess it depends more on what any org sees Vassells ceiling as,if they are shooting for a star I dont think they get one from either option really but would go for Okoro if they wanted that or nothing I guess. But so since DV floor is already higher than Okoro just as a offensive player from a shooting and decision making standpoint overall I am taking Vassell and if Okoro finds a way to be a high caliber shooter he might end up being as good as Vassell is already at best under most circumstances so no skin off my back, I mean Anything more than that is only based on the athletic advantage which really is a bit overrated on these boards.aka Vassell is a smooth athlete and the difference between him and Okoro at the end of the day in that department is only in explosive leaping ability.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#32 » by Catchall » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:43 pm

getrichordie wrote:Okoro's floor is PJ Tucker IMO.

PJ Tucker with a jetpack maybe.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#33 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:02 am

I go Vassell because of shooting. But I’ll be the first to admit that if Okoro can become a good shooter, he will be the better player.

I do love Vassell’s defense as well. Very versatile and has a great feel for the game. The only thing that held down his scoring numbers was the nice depth that Florida State had.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#34 » by nolang1 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:28 am

Vassell is all of 5 months older than Okoro, so it's definitely unusual to see how much more of a finished project he's considered. He was freshman aged and still the best player on a team that won the ACC championship and would've been a top 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. He's a good athlete already and has the frame and enough time to add strength/explosiveness and patch up really the only statistical hole in his game, a lack of getting to the line.

Whatever creation he lacks is at least balanced out by a super low turnover rate, which even decreased as he went from a 10 mpg reserve to being FSU's best player and nearly tripling his minutes. Someone like Danny Green graduated as UNC's all-time winningest player and has played through more lockout/pandemic shortened seasons (2) than ones where he played on a team that won fewer than 50 games in the regular season (his and Kawhi's last year with the Spurs where they still won 47 with Kawhi only playing 9 games). From that you either have to conclude that players who hit threes, don't turn it over, guard 1-3, and can block some shots might be more valuable than they appear at first glance or that Danny Green is the Forrest Gump of interchangeable 3-D role players who just stumbles onto one great team after another.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#35 » by King Ken » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:14 pm

nolang1 wrote:Vassell is all of 5 months older than Okoro, so it's definitely unusual to see how much more of a finished project he's considered. He was freshman aged and still the best player on a team that won the ACC championship and would've been a top 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. He's a good athlete already and has the frame and enough time to add strength/explosiveness and patch up really the only statistical hole in his game, a lack of getting to the line.

Whatever creation he lacks is at least balanced out by a super low turnover rate, which even decreased as he went from a 10 mpg reserve to being FSU's best player and nearly tripling his minutes. Someone like Danny Green graduated as UNC's all-time winningest player and has played through more lockout/pandemic shortened seasons (2) than ones where he played on a team that won fewer than 50 games in the regular season (his and Kawhi's last year with the Spurs where they still won 47 with Kawhi only playing 9 games). From that you either have to conclude that players who hit threes, don't turn it over, guard 1-3, and can block some shots might be more valuable than they appear at first glance or that Danny Green is the Forrest Gump of interchangeable 3-D role players who just stumbles onto one great team after another.

I felt Green stumbled from great team to great team. He wasn't the root reason for any of his teams successes. He clearly has a place with great players and great teams that wouldn't be there with bad teams.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#36 » by MemphisX » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:26 am

Coming into the season I was Okoro. During the season, Okoro. Now I am more inclined to trust Vassell. Shooting is such a premium skill in the NBA, I want players that have a demonstrated ability to knock down shots especially in the lottery unless they are a freak in some other aspect of the game or physically. If Okoro was a Scottie Lewis level athlete at his size then maybe I would lean more towards him.

However, these guys have have had almost 6 months to work with a trainer and I am banking on the guys with good representation to take advantage of that time.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#37 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:12 am

Am I wrong for seeing RHJ/MKG in Okoro?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#38 » by EMG518 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 am

Voted Vassell but I am not crazy about either.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#39 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:18 am

I think we all know what Vassell is. He's got a two dribble mid range shot, a very good outside shot. I don't think he projects as an elite defender but he clearly will be an NBA rotation player either a 4th or 5th starter or a top 9 rotation guy. He'll never be buried on a bench until he's 34.

Okoro projects as an elite defender. He looks like a football player or OG Annouoby or Lugentz Dort. Literally I wouldn't be surprised if he tops out as a top 10 defensive wing.
He has confidence issues with his only outstanding weakness (shooting). But he still had shooting splits of 51/29/67 (on a deeper than ever three point line). That's better or in the neighborhood of top prospects like Avdija, Edwards, Anthony, and Ball. If Okoro can can get his three point corner shot to a respectable 33% he'll be a big time positive in the NBA. After getting burned by Thybulle and Clarke last season for doubting their three point shoot improving, I won't make that mistake again.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#40 » by kobyz » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:56 pm

Vassell is something anywhere between Josh Richardson and Paul George
Okoro is like a Jaylen Brown or Nick Anderson
That makes them at the same level as prospects, with Vassell having more star potential while Okoro is more of a safe pick

Return to NBA Draft