ImageImage

2020 Pre-Draft Discussion

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Re: 2020 Draft Discussion 

Post#541 » by UNCNYC » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:55 am

bravor wrote:Even though he is french and even though i like his profile (mostly a versatile defender), i think his game is mostly 'european'. I prefer him over Maledon (since he plays on both sides) but honneslty i dont think they are worth a good pick here.

He improved a lot in offense last year after years in pro but before, he was very passive or worst, he was not taking his responsabilities offensively during years (litterally). I doubt he would fit in the nba, even as a defensive role player.
He is also pretty old for a guard (he was developed as combo guard). Not saying he could not adapt, but he could be a wasted pick (just like Kulboka to me).

His main strength, his collective and individual defense, will translate much better in Europe imo. Unless the nba decides to let the games become more physical. Your fav' wing from Argentina (Bolmaro) would be a safer bet imo for a high second pick.

On a side note, Tillman has decided to remain in this draft. Really hope he will be available for Hornet's second pick
Btw if the story i read about teams selling 1st pick because of financial issues due to the Covid, do you guys think Jordan could jump on this ?
Some late 1st would be useful for flexibility purpose, especially if they dont want to 'pay' all the youngsters (Graham, Miles, Monk..).

Yes his age was a bit of a concern to me... Hearing that he improved last year offensively is great to hear since he is in fact Great Grandfather age haha.

I love that he has a good frame and can play full court ball. His defense should be an improvement over Batum and over cooked no sizzle bacon there...

As for Jordan selling the pick I have zero problem with that this year due to the depth of this draft. We could still have a very good draft with our last two picks.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
bravor
Starter
And1: 731

Post#542 » by bravor » Tue Aug 4, 2020 10:11 am

I am asking about the possibility, with Kupchak's help/pressure, that Jordan tries to buy some 1st picks actually. As long as it does not mean selling any pick from 2021/2022/2023 or any valuable asset

Ideally, Miles should be traded for a valuable 1st for the next 3 drafts (2020 not included) + some asset. His ceiling is way too low to waste playing time or grant him an extension here.

As for N'Doye, yes he is a versatile defender, but he is not a wing. I would say he is a more 'periphical'/bigger P. Beverley. Better creater (he is not turning the ball over a lot), but really not a scorer. He could be useful in gs or franchise like that (Houston?), but imo he is worst than Ntilikina (character/agressivity wise)
If he is drafted (he will be since as you mentioned, he has some real qualities), that should be a late 2nd rounder anyway. We are talking about a role player at best unless he totally changes his mindset which is highly doubtful.
Btw he is leaving his team and should sign with another french team (top team), Monaco.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#543 » by 316Hornets » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:19 am

I don't think we'll be in any position to buy draft picks. Lack of fan revenue is going to hurt the smaller markets worst. Jordan will want to try to turn a profit so will probably spend very little, maybe even sell a 2nd round pick. No way he'd sell our 1st. We might as well fold if we do that.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#544 » by LofJ » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:43 pm

Jordan purchased a 1st round pick the last time the team rebuilt, from the Pistons by taking on Ben Gordon. So while he might be more hesitant to do that now due to the financial hit of covid-19, he has done it before.

That said there's a difference between trading a contract you would have paid anyway for a longer one and signing a player in free agency. I very much doubt we'll be spending big money to sign anyone this free agency period.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,666

Post#545 » by Diop » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:45 pm

MJ is a gambler who is desperate to win, if it looks like a winning move, I can see him spending the money.

Kupchak is happy to take his time which is good.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#546 » by UNCNYC » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:01 pm

Besides my birthday being Saturday I spent Sunday thinking of the draft. Due to Isaiah Joe, Ayo Dosunmu, Both Gach and Tre Mann
dropping out of the draft I had to find replacements. The players I have replaced them with are Tyler Bey, Tyrese Haliburton and Devon Dotson.
For the first time since researching I am considering Tyler Bey for our first pick. (think more due to the others dropping out.)
As of now I have Bey and Haliburton 2 and 3 as to who I would take if fell to us. (those spots were previously reserved for
Isaiah Joe and Ayo Dosunmu.)

My FAVORITE player of the draft is now Vit Krejci.

This list is who I would pick in order if fell to us at our three picks.

PICK 1 -
SG - Killian Hayes
SF - Tyler Bey
PG - Tyrese Haliburton
SG - Leandro Balmoro
PF - JaDen McDaniels

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN = C-Jalen Smith, SG-LaMeLo Ball, SG-Tyrell Terry

PICK 2 -
PG - Devon Dotson
SF - Saddiq Bey
SF - Josh Green
SF - Elijah Huges
SF - Vit Krejci

OUTSIDE LOOKIN IN = SF-Abdoulaye Ndoye, SG-Karim Mane, , PG-Malachi Flynn

PICK 3 -
PF - Trendon Watford
PF - Zeke Nnaji
PF - Jordan Nwora
SG - Ty-Shon Alexander
SF - Malcolm Cazalon

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN = SG-CJ Elleby, SG-John Petty, SG-Mason Jones, SG-Jay Scrubb, C-Kaleb Wesson
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#547 » by Snidely FC » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:46 pm

If the Hornets want to go homegrown this year here's your "Straight Outta Charlotte" Top Prospects:

Patrick Williams - uncanny how the West Charlotte High grad reminds me of another Williams - young Marvin; would be terrific frontcourt fit alongside PJ and Miles imo

Nate Hinton - "toughest dude in college ball" lol, able shooter too, he's got the frame and tenacity - Thing 3? - fun to imagine Eric Collins hollering "Hinton...from Gastonia!"

Ty-Shon Alexander - excellent defender and good 3 pt shooter, Charlotte native could fill Terry Rozier role with better size

Devon Dotson - from Providence Day School in Charlotte, he and Devontae Graham would be like Matryoshka dolls at PG, Devon = Devontae mini-me
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#548 » by UNCNYC » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:00 am

Snidely FC wrote:If the Hornets want to go homegrown this year here's your "Straight Outta Charlotte" Top Prospects:

Patrick Williams - uncanny how the West Charlotte High grad reminds me of another Williams - young Marvin; would be terrific frontcourt fit alongside PJ and Miles imo

Nate Hinton - "toughest dude in college ball" lol, able shooter too, he's got the frame and tenacity - Thing 3? - fun to imagine Eric Collins hollering "Hinton...from Gastonia!"

Ty-Shon Alexander - excellent defender and good 3 pt shooter, Charlotte native could fill Terry Rozier role with better size

Devon Dotson - from Providence Day School in Charlotte, he and Devontae Graham would be like Matryoshka dolls at PG, Devon = Devontae mini-me

Excellent list, I used to be high on Nate Hinton but dropped him off and forgot about him. I need him now since all my players are headed back to school lol. I truly think Devon Dotson has the potential to be the best player in this whole draft
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#549 » by UNCNYC » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:33 am

Here are 2 players who get no mention but they both have veteran games that could contribute. I really like Mays because he's a bulldog combo guard.

Skylar Mays

Kristian Doolittle
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#550 » by UNCNYC » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:26 pm

Not sure but if I do not select Haliburton with my first pick I will try to get either Skylar Mays or Karim Mane with my last pick. I think Karim Mane has a total game. I posted him before but this video breaks down his strength's offensively. I have narrowed that pick to either of them with an outside shot going to Tyshon Alexander. More than likely I would choose either Mane or Mays because they are more COMBO rather than Alexander who is more SG.

Karim Mane
;t=92s
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#551 » by 316Hornets » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:37 pm

Looking at our team needs, I'd say we need a Center who can do pnrs, rebound, and hit 3s. Wiseman would definitely be my ideal player for our team. We also need a strong playmaker at the 2 similar in a mold of a Klay Thompson. Creating spacing in the middle for our guys to drive should create opportunities for other guys to hit their shots. Right now, we have a lot of guys standing around and Devonte being asked to carry the world.

I haven't looked at the prospects that much but would lean on Wiseman or Ball right now top of draft. If we end up picking around 10, RJ Hampton as a playmaker or Devin Vassell(strong 1-3 defender) is intriguing. A lot of mocks have us looking at Okongwu but I think it would just create a problem in the post with Miles and PJ.

The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#552 » by UNCNYC » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:31 am

Since Ayo and Joe have dropped out of the draft I have shifted quite a bit in who I want with pick number 1. For some reason I can see Devon Dotson being the best player in this draft, and I have also started to go towards Zeke Nnaji. I don't think he will be the best player but could fill a need. Right now I have as my top 10 in order at what should/could be available for us to draft.

Killian Hayes
Tyrese Haliburton
Devon Dotson
Tyler Bey
JaDen McDaniels
Zeke Nnaji
Jalen Smith
Leandro Balmoro
Tyrell Terry
Elijah Huges

So many quality players are gonna be on the board in the 2nd round. I hope we keep all our picks.

PG - Karim Mane, Skylar Mays, Yam Mador, Vit Krejci
SG - Ty'shon Alexander, Uros Trifunovic, Immanuel Quickley, Mason Jones, Nate Hinton
SF - Saddiq Bey, CJ Elleby, Abdoulaye Ndoye, Malcolm Cazalon
PF - Trendon Watford, Lamar Stevens
C - Reggie Perry, Kaleb Wesson

Just to name a few-"dozen" that should be available 2nd round for us
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#553 » by LofJ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:35 am

You have to be loving it UNCNYC that we now have a GM that actually values the 2nd round.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#554 » by UNCNYC » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:48 am

LofJ wrote:You have to be loving it UNCNYC that we now have a GM that actually values the 2nd round.

Yes I love second rounders more than first rounders as you all know by now lmao
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#555 » by UNCNYC » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:34 pm

Welp these are the final 3 players I will post (at least until we know where we are drafting).
None of these 3 players I have as players I would currently draft and I have a feeling I would regret it if they are
given an opportunity.
They are not flashy players imo but I think all 3 if given the chance will contribute to a team.

Myles Powell - He is a Legend at Setan Hall. Had over 2,000 career pts there. and is a combo guard

Mason Jones - Does nothing flashy but I could see him becoming a known player in the league.
;t=83s

Jay Scrubb - Out of the 3 I know very little about Scrubb but I like that he is only 19 and seems to have a complete game.

None of these players are flashy so I am not posting them for that. Just moreso to show they could be steals late.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#556 » by UNCNYC » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:55 pm

I got one more player to post (before they announce where we draft) and that player is a familiar one. Arturs Zagars. I was super high on Zagars for a few years and swayed away from him but due to Ayo and Joe going back to school I have reconsidered drafting him at least at number 2 pick.

Roigh

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#557 » by UNCNYC » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:50 pm

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#558 » by No-Man » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:19 am

Eeeh, Zagars and Cazalon are not in this class, neither is Watford who already returned to LSU, and Krejci and Trifunovic are both going to pull out by the intl deadline
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#559 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:10 pm

FWIW Devonte' is going to be the Hornets rep at the lottery.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,202

Post#560 » by amcoolio » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:20 am

If we don't move up I don't care about this class, it makes no difference where we draft

Wiseman is the only player than can start for us next season, I see too much Tyreke in Edwards and Ball is years away
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles

Return to Charlotte Hornets