ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Nets vs. Blazers & The NBA Playoffs- Thurs. 8/13/20 9:00pm EST

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,861

Post#1 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:03 am

If you understand the reference in the thread title, you are OLD.

Spoiler:

Anyway, I posted this ahead of time because this game has serious playoff ramifications for the Blazers. They have to beat us to hold onto the #8 spot in the West.

I think that the Nets need to approach this game as a playoff game, and play the Blazers straight up for 4 quarters. No resting. This is a do or die game for the Blazers, the Suns are right on their asses and if we beat them, they may drop out of the play in game scenario in the West depending on what happens with the Grizzlies, Suns, and Spurs that same day.

No disrespect to Portland, but we shouldn't let them off the hook. Lets play to win, and finish the regular season with a .500 record.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Re: GT: Nets vs. Blazers & The NBA Playoffs- Thurs. 8/13/20 9:00pm EST 

Post#2 » by DarkXaero » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:15 am

I would love to beat the Blazers tomorrow just for us to play huge buzzkills in the NBA :lol:

But Dame's post game interview scared me, and I think they'll likely obliterate us tomorrow, especially if we sit key players out again.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks for the old school reference, MDB.

I see a ton of possible scenarios for this game. At full strength, the Portland Trailblazers are a slightly better team than the Toronto Raptors. It would behoove us to treat Thursday as a dress rehearsal for the playoffs, and face them at full strength. However, we don't know whether the Blazers will be at full strength.

Both Phoenix and Memphis play 4 hours earlier than us, and against ostensibly much better teams than them. If they both lose, Portland can lose against us and still hold on to the 8th seed. They'll need to play in the play-in game regardless, which might be two back-to-back games on Saturday and Sunday. Knowing this, I could see them resting Dame and other key starters.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:11 pm

DarkXaero wrote:I would love to beat the Blazers tomorrow just for us to play huge buzzkills in the NBA :lol:

But Dame's post game interview scared me, and I think they'll likely obliterate us tomorrow, especially if we sit key players out again.

Yeah, dude is clearly pissed off. He will most likely drop a 50 burger on us. Still, I like our Allen/Rodi/Harris/Temple/LeVert line up to at least give them a fight. It may be asking a lot but we've been playing in over our heads the entire time so what's new?

The game most likely gets away from us when we go to the bench. The Blazers have elite backcourt depth with Trent Jr. and Simons backing up Dame and CJ.

NetsJets
Starter
And1: 645

Post#5 » by NetsJets » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:13 pm

As a fan I want to see the Blazers in the playoffs but I want the Nets to finish with a 500 record. Anyways go Nets.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#6 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:14 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Thanks for the old school reference, MDB.

I see a ton of possible scenarios for this game. At full strength, the Portland Trailblazers are a slightly better team than the Toronto Raptors. It would behoove us to treat Thursday as a dress rehearsal for the playoffs, and face them at full strength. However, we don't know whether the Blazers will be at full strength.

Both Phoenix and Memphis play 4 hours earlier than us, and against ostensibly much better teams than them. If they both lose, Portland can lose against us and still hold on to the 8th seed. They'll need to play in the play-in game regardless, which might be two back-to-back games on Saturday and Sunday. Knowing this, I could see them resting Dame and other key starters.

We should still play the game with our full team. No sense resting guys when the play in games will take place over the weekend giving us plenty of rest days.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#7 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:00 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:If you understand the reference in the thread title, you are OLD.

Spoiler:

Anyway, I posted this ahead of time because this game has serious playoff ramifications for the Blazers. They have to beat us to hold onto the #8 spot in the West.

I think that the Nets need to approach this game as a playoff game, and play the Blazers straight up for 4 quarters. No resting. This is a do or die game for the Blazers, the Suns are right on their asses and if we beat them, they may drop out of the play in game scenario in the West depending on what happens with the Grizzlies, Suns, and Spurs that same day.

No disrespect to Portland, but we shouldn't let them off the hook. Lets play to win, and finish the regular season with a .500 record.

hell yeah.... bulls vs. lakers was the first legit console basketball game. and then bulls vs blazers then next in the series. rocked that on the sega genesis and played non stop while listening to tribe called quest and wu. lol.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#8 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:02 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

We should still play the game with our full team. No sense resting guys when the play in games will take place over the weekend giving us plenty of rest days.

its less rest and more injury. Cant afford to lose caris. and crawford and TJ are also coming off injury
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#9 » by MGrand15 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Idk I'm kinda conflicted on whether to rest guys (like playing the starters 20 minutes) or to treat this like a real game. LeVert is such a rhythm player that I'd be worried about him basically not playing at all for a week before the playoffs. At the same time, Portland is HUGE and they're desperate. JA and our guys can get really beat up trying to bang with Nurkic, Collins, and Whiteside inside and off screens.

Maybe it's good practice since Toronto is also really big in the front court.

I suspect JV is gonna be throwing triple teams at Dame regardless. Unlike Kenny who played the percentages and tried harder to shut down roleplayers, JV seems to focus on slowing down stars.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#10 » by MGrand15 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:11 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

its less rest and more injury. Cant afford to lose caris. and crawford and TJ are also coming off injury

Actually we can afford to lose Caris. He's an inefficient scorer who can't defend or pass. Easily replaceable if you look at the stats.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Read on Twitter

No IG models allowed in the bubble.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:If you understand the reference in the thread title, you are OLD.

Spoiler:

hell yeah.... bulls vs. lakers was the first legit console basketball game. and then bulls vs blazers then next in the series. rocked that on the sega genesis and played non stop while listening to tribe called quest and wu. lol.

I started with Bulls vs. Blazers and then the game became NBA Showdown:

We would play these games for hours during the summer back in those days.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#13 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:01 pm

MGrand15 wrote:Idk I'm kinda conflicted on whether to rest guys (like playing the starters 20 minutes) or to treat this like a real game. LeVert is such a rhythm player that I'd be worried about him basically not playing at all for a week before the playoffs. At the same time, Portland is HUGE and they're desperate. JA and our guys can get really beat up trying to bang with Nurkic, Collins, and Whiteside inside and off screens.

Maybe it's good practice since Toronto is also really big in the front court.

I suspect JV is gonna be throwing triple teams at Dame regardless. Unlike Kenny who played the percentages and tried harder to shut down roleplayers, JV seems to focus on slowing down stars.

I think the problem is that we can take Dame away but that means CJ will probably torch us. Still, i would rather make CJ and Melo beat us than having Dame destroy LeVert for 70 points

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#14 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:04 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Actually we can afford to lose Caris. He's an inefficient scorer who can't defend or pass. Easily replaceable if you look at the stats.

in all seriousness, I think 3 days rest should be more than enough time. Now if the game gets out of hand early, mail it in, but if not I think it will be good to get some playoff level basketball under our belts before next week.

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#15 » by Paradise » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:46 am

Nets rested our guys vs Orlando to give them real minutes vs Portland. It’s going to be a very good tune up game for us.

Also,

Read on Twitter
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#16 » by Prokorov » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:04 am

MGrand15 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

when you have a teamof g-leaguers you cant afford to lose nba roster talent/ regardless of flaws
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#17 » by Paradise » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:13 am

Raptors/Sixers is a close one. Again, a Sixers LOSS results into the chance for the 18th pick in the draft.

Highest we’ve had yet.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,445

Post#18 » by Stone » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:24 am

Raps just won it in a close game. Love to get the 18th pick, but even 19 should be good.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,252

Post#19 » by JRoy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:15 am

Spoiler:

I think that was the first game I ever owned
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#20 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:32 am

Paradise wrote:Nets rested our guys vs Orlando to give them real minutes vs Portland. It’s going to be a very good tune up game for us.

Also,

Read on Twitter

The Sixers last game of the seeding round is against Houston, and most likely Embiid will be sitting. Things are going well for the Nets.

Return to Brooklyn Nets