WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Re: Around the NBA 2019-20 

Post#881 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Aug 9, 2020 11:33 pm

Saberestar wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

I get this sense watching the Pels too, they don't seem to like playing together and they really don't play hard on D. Funny how everyone loved that roster in the off-season. Shows you really can't tell how a group will perform until they actually play together. Curious to see if they make any major moves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

One of the keys of their overall bad play is this guy...
Read on Twitter
Yeah Ball playing worse than Cam Payne certainly hasn't helped them.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#882 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Aug 9, 2020 11:36 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

I get this sense watching the Pels too, they don't seem to like playing together and they really don't play hard on D. Funny how everyone loved that roster in the off-season. Shows you really can't tell how a group will perform until they actually play together. Curious to see if they make any major moves.

It's weird though....the Suns and Pelicans have 1 difference in win. People feel the Suns are overachieving or at least playing really well and the Pelicans the opposite this season. Now of course Ayton missed all that time, but Zion missed a lot more.

It will be interesting to see where they go from here though and what they end up with in the draft...then there is talk about going after Kidd or Lue.
I'm not saying they suck or anything just the sum doesn't seem equal to the parts. Especially on D, they have plenty of decent to good individual defenders but they sucked on that side of the ball.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,449

Post#883 » by sasquatchBob » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:33 pm

Interesting video. Up until 10th minute it somewhat explains why we were capable of beating the Bucks while being bad for the past two years. Booker's skill set matches their defensive scheme perfectly.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#884 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Man feel for TJ, balls out and stays healthy all year now could be out for his first ever playoff experience.

Edit: looks like he should be good to go

Read on Twitter
?s=19

ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#885 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:18 am

You guys see the box score for that HOU/IND game? Ugh. Glad I had no reason to watch that.

The WC playoffs are low-key starting to look pretty wack. If Houston's without Westbrook, they're garbage, and the Jazz don't look good at all. LAC and DEN should each want to lose this game to avoid Dallas. The 2/7 matchup will be great, but the 1/8 matchup will be fire.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#886 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:00 pm

This is kind of weird (unfollowing his teammates on instagram) after Giannis said he wants to stay in Milwuakee and
Some see a wall and go in [another direction];I plow through it. We just have to get better as a team, individually and get right back at it next season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/giannis-antetokounmpo-appears-unfollow-bucks-174437151.html
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#887 » by Saberestar » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:30 pm

bwgood77 wrote:This is kind of weird (unfollowing his teammates on instagram) after Giannis said he wants to stay in Milwuakee and
Some see a wall and go in [another direction];I plow through it. We just have to get better as a team, individually and get right back at it next season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/giannis-antetokounmpo-appears-unfollow-bucks-174437151.html

I have read that he has done it before to take a break from social media during holidays. Not a big deal.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#888 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:This is kind of weird (unfollowing his teammates on instagram) after Giannis said he wants to stay in Milwuakee and

I have read that he has done it before to take a break from social media during holidays. Not a big deal.

Yeah, I was thinking someone could just shut down their account and they would still probably find a way to make that the headline.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,394

Post#889 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:25 am

I read a while back that Westbrook wanted to finish his career with OKC and how did that work out? Cant really take star players word as if they truly mean on sticking around with one franchise their entire career. I respect Lillard for always saying he wont chase championships but we'll see his stance a few years from now.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#890 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:27 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:

I read a while back that Westbrook wanted to finish his career with OKC and how did that work out? Cant really take star players word as if they truly mean on sticking around with one franchise their entire career. I respect Lillard for always saying he wont chase championships but we'll see his stance a few years from now.

Oh, I agree...they almost always say something, but usually it's something more generic...I always find it funny when people talk about "demanding out"....players seem non commital and says they will check the market and make it appear they are definitely going to look around giving indication they will very likely leave, but I think it's somewhat rare that the big max names with the huge fan bases demand out...I think Kyrie did...I can't remember if Dwight Howard and Vince Carter did...I just knew their fans were pissed.

But even when they say stuff like "I'm focused on being here" or "my current plan is to be here" I think Giannis phrased it in a way that makes it seem like he really wants to win in Milwaukee.

The scary thing for Milwaukee is, if it were to happen again next summer, and he hasn't signed an extension, would he still feel the same way?
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#891 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:09 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:

Oh, I agree...they almost always say something, but usually it's something more generic...I always find it funny when people talk about "demanding out"....players seem non commital and says they will check the market and make it appear they are definitely going to look around giving indication they will very likely leave, but I think it's somewhat rare that the big max names with the huge fan bases demand out...I think Kyrie did...I can't remember if Dwight Howard and Vince Carter did...I just knew their fans were pissed.

But even when they say stuff like "I'm focused on being here" or "my current plan is to be here" I think Giannis phrased it in a way that makes it seem like he really wants to win in Milwaukee.

The scary thing for Milwaukee is, if it were to happen again next summer, and he hasn't signed an extension, would he still feel the same way?

You know what, if Milwaukee has another lackluster showing next season especially in the playoffs, I see Giannis gone. I'm quite certain FO will sell to him to remain another year and I believe he buys into last chance to at least make the finals.

I think Kyrie did...I can't remember if Dwight Howard and Vince Carter did...I just knew their fans were pissed.

As for the Howard & Carter situation, Vince was despised for a good decade it seemed. Not quite certain if he claimed to remain in Toronto for entire career though. Also, with Howard's situation, he was a huge primadonna and frankly the whole sequence in 2013 was hilarious.

Even though I began watching Suns in late 90's and NBA in general, I dont recall star players demanding out as majority seemed to finish with one team and a few here and there like Jordan, Malone, Kemp, Payton, Pippen played few more years on other teams when near retiring. Only Pippen played longer after Bulls were dismantled. Just want to see superstars/allstars remain with one team for 10+ years. Imagine how deadly Suns would've been with J. Johnson for another 5+ years here or Harden remaining put with KD/Ibaka, Westbrook/Green a bit longer. But in the end money talks and Johnson/Harden wanted to be leaders on different teams. :/
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#892 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:26 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:

You know what, if Milwaukee has another lackluster showing next season especially in the playoffs, I see Giannis gone. I'm quite certain FO will sell to him to remain another year and I believe he buys into last chance to at least make the finals.

I think Kyrie did...I can't remember if Dwight Howard and Vince Carter did...I just knew their fans were pissed.

As for the Howard & Carter situation, Vince was despised for a good decade it seemed. Not quite certain if he claimed to remain in Toronto for entire career though. Also, with Howard's situation, he was a huge primadonna and frankly the whole sequence in 2013 was hilarious.

Even though I began watching Suns in late 90's and NBA in general, I dont recall star players demanding out as majority seemed to finish with one team and a few here and there like Jordan, Malone, Kemp, Payton, Pippen played few more years on other teams when near retiring. Only Pippen played longer after Bulls were dismantled. Just want to see superstars/allstars remain with one team for 10+ years. Imagine how deadly Suns would've been with J. Johnson for another 5+ years here or Harden remaining put with KD/Ibaka, Westbrook/Green a bit longer. But in the end money talks and Johnson/Harden wanted to be leaders on different teams. :/

Joe Johnson SHOULD have stayed with the team...but that is Sarver's fault. I don't complain about Sarver being cheap any more but back then it was ridiculous. They were haggling over $5 million over 6 years! He wanted a 6 year extension (through 2011) for $50 million and Sarver would only go to $45.

I know part of his reasoning (and part of this is Bryan Colangelo's fault) is that he just had paid Q. I personally never thought they should have signed Q. But they signed Q for 4/50....so that was more.

I boil the whole debacle of what could have been a long time special team with a champion or two or three to me, comes down to Q. I think had we not sign Q, two things happen: JJ gets extended and we draft Andre Iguodala.

We never have to trade Q for Kurt Thomas and then trade two firsts to get rid of Kurt Thomas.

Iggy's rookie contract give us flexibility with things.

Now, I am not sure if we would have been quite as good that first year..it would depend on whether Iguodala started and how he shot from 3. As a rookie he shot a little over 33% from 3, and Q shot 35.8% from 3. D'Antoni's offense and approach with players (making them fearless shooting 3s because he wouldn't get mad if they took 3s, but mad if they didn't)...I imagine would have increased Iguodala's 3pt FG%. But the defense and ball movement probably improves more.

The next year I still think we sign Raja Bell. I remember when we were signing him we even said "We would sign him whether or not Joe Johnson was staying"....we were obviously trading Q too that summer, but regardless, with a rookie contract instead of Q/Kurt Thomas, etc, and no Q, I still think he gets signed.

So then we could have had Booker/Raja/JJ/Marion/Amare and Iguodala as 6th man....now that is a lineup that can win titles with a couple more role players...ultimately I don't think the Hawks liked or knew what they had with Diaw, so there is probably a good chance we get him anyway...I know D'Antoni liked and wanted him.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#893 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:43 pm

The Memphis Grizzlies are hiring Phoenix's Darko Rajaković as an assistant coach, sources tell ESPN. Rajakovic replaces Neven Spahija, who recently left the Grizzlies for a coaching job overseas.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#894 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:13 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:
SunsRback4Good wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Joe Johnson SHOULD have stayed with the team...but that is Sarver's fault. I don't complain about Sarver being cheap any more but back then it was ridiculous. They were haggling over $5 million over 6 years! He wanted a 6 year extension (through 2011) for $50 million and Sarver would only go to $45.

I know part of his reasoning (and part of this is Bryan Colangelo's fault) is that he just had paid Q. I personally never thought they should have signed Q. But they signed Q for 4/50....so that was more.

I boil the whole debacle of what could have been a long time special team with a champion or two or three to me, comes down to Q. I think had we not sign Q, two things happen: JJ gets extended and we draft Andre Iguodala.

We never have to trade Q for Kurt Thomas and then trade two firsts to get rid of Kurt Thomas.

Now, I am not sure if we would have been quite as good that first year..it would depend on whether Iguodala started and how he shot from 3. As a rookie he shot a little over 33% from 3, and Q shot 35.8% from 3. D'Antoni's offense and approach with players (making them fearless shooting 3s because he wouldn't get mad if they took 3s, but mad if they didn't)...I imagine would have increased Iguodala's 3pt FG%. But the defense and ball movement probably improves more.

The next year I still think we sign Raja Bell. I remember when we were signing him we even said "We would sign him whether or not Joe Johnson was staying"....we were obviously trading Q too that summer, but regardless, with a rookie contract instead of Q/Kurt Thomas, etc, and no Q, I still think he gets signed.

So then we could have had Booker/Raja/JJ/Marion/Amare and Iguodala as 6th man....now that is a lineup that can win titles with a couple more role players...ultimately I don't think the Hawks liked or knew what they had with Diaw, so there is probably a good chance we get him anyway...I know D'Antoni liked and wanted him.

Booker/Raja/JJ/Marion/Amare and Iguodala as 6th man....

^^^^ you meant Nash not Booker, correct? ;)

As with everything else you've stated I couldn't agree more. So many things could been different if Sarver wasn't cheap over 5 mill and drafting iggy would be the icing on the cake.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#895 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:49 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:Booker/Raja/JJ/Marion/Amare and Iguodala as 6th man....

^^^^ you meant Nash not Booker, correct? ;)

As with everything else you've stated I couldn't agree more. So many things could been different if Sarver wasn't cheap over 5 mill and drafting iggy would be the icing on the cake.

Yeah, Nash, not sure why I wrote Booker.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#896 » by cberry78 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:56 pm

"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#897 » by DirtyDez » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:53 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Joe Johnson SHOULD have stayed with the team...but that is Sarver's fault. I don't complain about Sarver being cheap any more but back then it was ridiculous. They were haggling over $5 million over 6 years! He wanted a 6 year extension (through 2011) for $50 million and Sarver would only go to $45.

If I recall they didn’t have much interest in Iguodala or Deng with JJ and Marion. There’s really no excuse for coming up that short on JJ’s deal though... They had bigger FA plans but I doubt $800k note for JJ affects that. Q-Rich was signed late in July which is pretty late for a deal that big. Seemed like a panic signing.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#898 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:21 pm

DirtyDez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Joe Johnson SHOULD have stayed with the team...but that is Sarver's fault. I don't complain about Sarver being cheap any more but back then it was ridiculous. They were haggling over $5 million over 6 years! He wanted a 6 year extension (through 2011) for $50 million and Sarver would only go to $45.

If I recall they didn’t have much interest in Iguodala or Deng with JJ and Marion. There’s really no excuse for coming up that short on JJ’s deal though... They had bigger FA plans but I doubt $800k note for JJ affects that. Q-Rich was signed late in July which is pretty late for a deal that big. Seemed like a panic signing.

I remember them saying after the draft that they didn't think they (or at least Iguodala) would be available at that pick. You can trade the pick during the draft though...kind of dumb to trade it before the draft....can probably even get more for it if you trade it during the draft.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#899 » by DirtyDez » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:51 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

I remember them saying after the draft that they didn't think they (or at least Iguodala) would be available at that pick. You can trade the pick during the draft though...kind of dumb to trade it before the draft....can probably even get more for it if you trade it during the draft.

I don’t think anyone expected Chicago to go from 2nd worst record to playoffs. Although it was still top-3 protected.. Maybe they really liked Jackson Vroman?
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#900 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Return to Phoenix Suns