ROSTERS:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Re: WCQF: Oklahoma City Thunder vs Houston Rockets | P1 

Post#2 » by kdthunderup » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:15 am

A lot will depend on the health of Russ. The Rockets are capable of going absolutely nuclear from 3 so I suspect they will nag a couple wins but overall I feel like we match up well with them going small and have an obvious size advantage when we go big.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#3 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:52 am

This series is nuts. There are so many ways it can go. Strategy could be huge especially on defense. Also will OKC use they size advantage? Will the guards be able to defend Harden and Russ? D Antoni likes offense in 7 seconds or less against OKC half court offense? Before the season many people saw Houston as a top 5 team. They are super talented. OKC has talent as well. I don't know which teams will show up.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:19 pm

I haven’t seen a close up replay but heard Dort’s injury was actually non contact which is more concerning. I don’t think Dort is Andre Roberson but the drop off between him and Ferguson/Diallo is significant. I was pretty disappointed to see Ferguson get the start for the second half over Dre.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#5 » by slick_watts » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 pm

i have some very spicy takes on this series.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:06 pm

slick_watts wrote:i have some very spicy takes on this series.

Do tell.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#7 » by getrichordie » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:14 am

Diallo/Ferguson/Schroder defends Harden right?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#8 » by Balkman32 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:09 pm

getrichordie wrote:Diallo/Ferguson/Schroder defends Harden right?

I think Dort gets first crack. I would assume Roberson & Ferguson will get some burn since they have experience in guarding him. I think we might see some CP3 on Harden. Shai and Diallo will also get a couple of cracks on Harden. OKC has multiple wing defenders which will also allow the defenders to be aggressive.

Russ or the Thunder will advance to the 2nd round. Will be the first time since the cupcake left OKC.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#9 » by getrichordie » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:30 pm

Balkman32 wrote:

I think Dort gets first crack. I would assume Roberson & Ferguson will get some burn since they have experience in guarding him. I think we might see some CP3 on Harden. Shai and Diallo will also get a couple of cracks on Harden. OKC has multiple wing defenders which will also allow the defenders to be aggressive.

Russ or the Thunder will advance to the 2nd round. Will be the first time since the cupcake left OKC.

Dort out for foreseeable future w/ a right knee sprain.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:09 pm

Spoiler:
getrichordie wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

Dort out for foreseeable future w/ a right knee sprain.

Read on Twitter

Technically, he could play in game 1 unless this has been updated.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#11 » by Balkman32 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:54 pm

I am expecting the Thunder to be at Full Strength. If not, as long as Dort is back before or by Westbrook's return I think the Thunder are fine in that category.

Who would start in Dort's place? My bet is Diallo over Ferguson & Roberson.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:58 pm

Balkman32 wrote:I am expecting the Thunder to be at Full Strength. If not, as long as Dort is back before or by Westbrook's return I think the Thunder are fine in that category.

Who would start in Dort's place? My bet is Diallo over Ferguson & Roberson.

Billy tends to replace a starter with a scrub so he can leave the rest of the rotations unchanged. My bet is on Ferguson getting Dort's spot. I would like to try Schroder for a change. Ferguson seems to be getting worse.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#13 » by getrichordie » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:02 pm

I want to see Roberson defend Covington. The only thing I worry about with Roberson at this point is his weak-side rim protection. He doesn't look nearly as vertical or explosive as before, IMO.

Ideally, here's how I'd like to see us match-up with the Rockets:

Dort/Diallo = Harden/House/Tucker/McLemore
Paul = House/McLemore
Gilgeous-Alexander = Westbrook/Rivers/McLemore
Gallinari = Tucker/Green
Roberson/Adams = Covington/Green
---
Schroder = Rivers/McLemore

I want to see us go under Harden pick and rolls. Make Harden beat us. Don't go over and allow Harden to get into space and make plays for others and get them involved. That's where he's most dangerous, IMO.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 813

Post#14 » by 1bigfan13 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:22 am

This series *should* be easier without Westbrook (at least for parts of it) but I'd still prefer to play them with Russ in the lineup. It would make for a better story and more intense games if he's in the lineup.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 813

Post#15 » by 1bigfan13 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:46 am

slick_watts wrote:i have some very spicy takes on this series.

My hot take is the Westbrook injury could be a blessing in disguise for the Rockets for the following reasons:

1. Westbrook has shot under 40% in each of the last three playoff series. Shooting 38% over that time-frame.

2. Westbrook is notorious for playing undisciplined defense. He loses his defender too often because he's too busy staring at the ball handler and trying to jump passing lanes for steals.

3. Without Westbrook there will be fewer frustration fouls and technical fouls that give opponents cheap points at the free throw line. And you can't forget all the times he lags behind on defense because he's too busy arguing with refs about a missed call.

4. Emotions will be in check. The Rockets won't have to worry about having a player going off the reservation, turning the game into a personal grudge match. The focus will be on making smart plays to win games rather than on watching Russ attempt to settle personal vendettas within the game.

These are some reasons why I want Westbrook to play because I want to see OKC benefit from that stuff for a change. :lol:
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#16 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Game day. I hope OKC can flip the switch. I did not think they had the same kind of intensity during the play in games.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:08 pm

The only really bad outcome of this series is a major injury to the roster.
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#18 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:51 pm

I like that they are going inside. They should continue to use Adams and Gallo via 2 men games down low. I hope Adams is okay. Tucker and Harden have been very physical so far.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:57 pm

Shooting needs to pick up.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:08 pm

Both diallo and Ferguson see the floor before Roberson. Okc looks scared.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder