2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Are you happy with the Thunder’s draft night decisions?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Yes
36%
No
18%
Not sure
45%

Total votes: 11

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#201 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:19 pm

sonictecture wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
I think the problem is more so that we've been picking later in the first round where there just aren't many guys who are good shooters who also have the athleticism to be positive defenders, enough so that it makes an impact next to a Westbrook.

Somewhat, yes. In the case of diallo we actually purchased a specific player who had already been drafted by the nets so it’s clearly a philosophy from the front office.

The pick that was used to select Diallo was traded for, Diallo wasn't purchased. Presti targeted Diallo and found a deal to get an extra second round pick and gave up a future second and cash.

Look at the 2018 draft. Diallo was selected at 45th overall. There were two other players deemed shooters still on the draft board, in Mykhailiuk (Kansas) and Hall (Virginia). Should Presti have targeted Mykhailiuk over Diallo?

I don't think the organization is as rigid as they are made out to be. It is important to look at the context of every player acquisition.
Was Darius Bazley drafted because he was an athlete?

It should be clear why Presti has a team building strategy of targeting long athletic players when available, but these are not the only attributes being targeted.

We traded one of our “fake picks” from Boston that conveyed in the following years draft. So either the hornets had high hopes for the end of the second round of the 2019 draft or a notoriously cheap organization wanted some cash. You are correct that we included a pick but the crux of the deal was cash for diallo.

In the case of Diallo vs the field, it’s somewhat irrelevant since most of those guys don’t became rotation players. In the case of Diallo, he’s probably the type of player to take a risk on at that stage in the draft.

I’m not saying the organization is rigid. Abrines, McGary and Sabonis don’t fit that athletic type. I don’t think bazley is an exceptional athlete. He’s got the wingspan that the FO likes but he’s not exceptionally quick. The issue with bazley is he wasn’t considered a good shooter and that’s what the team needed. There may be exceptions to the thunders decisions but do you think they’ve prioritized shooting enough when constructing their rosters the last 5 years?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#202 » by getrichordie » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:30 pm

Just finished up representing the Thunder in another Twitter Mock. Ended up with Achiuwa at 25 and Simanic at 53 and I'm pretty happy about that. Really wanted Woodard or Ramsey to slide to 53, but hey I'll take Simanic.

Mock is in link.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KkMynKKlCIQw5_TnWXXC36ezj66UYPrBCxQFjIUwfko/edit#gid=316212131

Edit: We also did a UDFA target list. My top 3 targets were: Jalen Harris (Nevada), Anthony Mathis (Oregon), and Kenyon Martin Jr. (IMG Academy)
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Re: WCQF: Oklahoma City Thunder vs Houston Rockets | P1 

Post#203 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:11 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

I think the hope to improve would be by trading quantity for quality with the draft picks. Adams should have some trade value as well. I respect Adams heart a lot. It is weird that he is only 26. I'm not sure what will happen with CP3 and Gallo. Both have value as they are good players but their value should be in more supporting roles on contenders based on age.

What team, especially in a small market, builds that way? Jokic and Murray, Lillard and Mccollum, Mitchell and Gobert, all came through the draft for their respective teams. Even larger markets like Philly and Boston get most of their guys through the draft and then added pieces in other ways.

OKC has the assets to trade for a good player if he becomes available but sometimes that's easier once your core is in place. It's hard to trade for good young players that are still on rookie contracts. Most teams that have those type of players are rebuilding and don't want to move them. OKC could take a chance on a reclamation project like a Marvin Bagley but I don't see someone like De'Aaron Fox or Morant becoming available.

You may be misunderstanding my post. When I say trade quantity for quality its not saying ignore the draft. Its saying trade quantity of draft picks for better draft picks or young prospects. All teams have to use the draft, FA and trades. Relying on only 1 and ignoring all else will not usually work. Interesting you mentioned Gobert and Mitchel. Both were draft pick trades. Just like the NFL has draft pick value boards have OKC use one. Move as many lower picks for better picks as possible. While there will hopefully be occasional all stars that drop in to the 20's your odds are much greater of finding them in picks 15 or below.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#204 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:20 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
You may be misunderstanding my post.

Yeah...I misunderstood. I agree. We aren't getting anything good picking in the 20s.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#205 » by spearsy23 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 2:42 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

Yeah...I misunderstood. I agree. We aren't getting anything good picking in the 20s.

Possibly in this draft. Not a lot of separation in picks 10(or even higher)-40 is what I've been reading.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#206 » by getrichordie » Sun Sep 6, 2020 8:12 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

Possibly in this draft. Not a lot of separation in picks 10(or even higher)-40 is what I've been reading.

I've been scouting the draft pretty extensively this year and I can confidently say that there is a clear separation between the lottery, the rest of the first round and second round.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#207 » by spearsy23 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 8:45 pm

getrichordie wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Yeah...I misunderstood. I agree. We aren't getting anything good picking in the 20s.

I've been scouting the draft pretty extensively this year and I can confidently say that there is a clear separation between the lottery, the rest of the first round and second round.

Both vecenie and hollinger have written about how week it is at the top and how good the depth is. I can't find the article now, but I believe it was vecenie who basically said picks 20-40 is a really strong range. So yeah, 10 might have been overselling it, but 15-30 isn't a real significant difference.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#208 » by getrichordie » Sun Sep 6, 2020 9:22 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Possibly in this draft. Not a lot of separation in picks 10(or even higher)-40 is what I've been reading.

Both vecenie and hollinger have written about how week it is at the top and how good the depth is. I can't find the article now, but I believe it was vecenie who basically said picks 20-40 is a really strong range. So yeah, 10 might have been overselling it, but 15-30 isn't a real significant difference.

Yeah that makes a bit more since.

Everyone's big board is different, but here's mine, FWIW:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KkMynKKlCIQw5_TnWXXC36ezj66UYPrBCxQFjIUwfko/edit

My 4th tier ends at 31, but I'm fine with adding a few more players in there. I certainly am lower on some key guys than others.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#209 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Sep 6, 2020 10:25 pm

getrichordie wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KkMynKKlCIQw5_TnWXXC36ezj66UYPrBCxQFjIUwfko/edit

My 4th tier ends at 31, but I'm fine with adding a few more players in there. I certainly am lower on some key guys than others.

You don’t really think Toppin falls that far, do you?
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#210 » by getrichordie » Mon Sep 7, 2020 12:31 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Both vecenie and hollinger have written about how week it is at the top and how good the depth is. I can't find the article now, but I believe it was vecenie who basically said picks 20-40 is a really strong range. So yeah, 10 might have been overselling it, but 15-30 isn't a real significant difference.

You don’t really think Toppin falls that far, do you?

Probably not, but I think Toppin is fool's gold to an extent. He is a serious liability on defense. It's really, really bad. I don't see his 3-pt. shot translating all that well either. So what you are left with is just a run and jump guy who is a decent passer who is going to be able to be a primarily lob, transition, and roll threat but isn't going to be able to defend in space at all and is someone who is going to get targeted on defensive side. I personally think he is a flashy player who is slightly positive at best...
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#211 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:54 pm

Read on Twitter
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#212 » by retrobro90 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:57 pm

Doing some more research on fringe draft dudes (those mocked in the late 2nd/outside the top 60). A friend recommended I check out Nate Hinton and I think I'm sold. 6'5" swingman at Houston that plays with a lot of grit/toughness. Competitor for sure. NBA ready body. I tend to trust the translatability of high motor wings that play with an edge.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#213 » by jambalaya » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:58 pm

GRD, see you have Jalen Smith 7th. You are only person I've seen with him ranked higher than me. I was higher on him than many others here early when I had 25ish and my top pick or near it for Thunder. And still higher than mainstream draft consensus when I had him about 17 a month or two back. I moved him to 9th a few days ago. Might back off to 11-12, but somewhere around there in terms of big board. Actual draft? Probably will be lower. Doubt he ends up available for Thunder but that would be pretty good fortune if it happens. Doubt they try to move up for him but that would be an option.

See as a good enough role player. Could he play with Bazley? I dunno. Maybe if Bazley develops more SF skills. Smith as small ball center some of the time, at some point? I'd be open to trying it to see what happens. But most likely he will be someone else's experiment.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#214 » by getrichordie » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:47 am

I created a "defensive smorgasbord" for draft prospects if you guys are interested. If you have questions, please let me know.

Please keep in mind that you can sort sheet by columns [X] A -> Z or Z -> A if you are wanting to sort information out. Please DO NOT sort by range. It will mess you up if you are trying to compare prospects.

LINK = https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dsF5GxXuayIWPJtQHODfA-6WHMTKBsf1PXt2JaaIC5Y/edit?usp=sharing

PREVIEW

[twitter] @thunderdustin
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#215 » by thor19 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:59 am

okc interview rj hampton, achiwua and tyrell terry, i imagine they will be the first players, more will come but which one would you choose?
mr570
Senior
And1: 293

Post#216 » by mr570 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:10 pm

thor19 wrote:okc interview rj hampton, achiwua and tyrell terry, i imagine they will be the first players, more will come but which one would you choose?

I like Hampton but Tyrell Terry could be very good on this team. Also not sure how they get high enough in the draft to get him.

Maybe the Celtics want to trade Gordon Hayward plus their 14 pick for Steven Adams?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#217 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:14 pm

mr570 wrote:
thor19 wrote:okc interview rj hampton, achiwua and tyrell terry, i imagine they will be the first players, more will come but which one would you choose?

I like Hampton but Tyrell Terry could be very good on this team. Also not sure how they get high enough in the draft to get him.

Maybe the Celtics want to trade Gordon Hayward plus their 14 pick for Steven Adams?

If Presti wants to move up, this is probably the easiest draft ever to do so.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#218 » by cjmcallist » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:50 am

Is this draft worth cashing in assets to move up to the late lottery, instead of paying extra to move up higher in the future?

What I mean is, with the down draft - it will cost less to get someone at 14, than it will to get someone similar at 5 next year?
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#219 » by getrichordie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:27 pm

cjmcallist wrote:Is this draft worth cashing in assets to move up to the late lottery, instead of paying extra to move up higher in the future?

What I mean is, with the down draft - it will cost less to get someone at 14, than it will to get someone similar at 5 next year?

In a word, no. For what we would have to give up to move in to the lottery, I don't think there is a prospect great enough to move up to get unless there is a player we love that slides and I think the players Presti would fall in love with are going earlier than that.

Now, if we happen to be able to keep 25, trade Paul and snag a late lottery pick, then absolutely I'd look hard at pulling the trigger depending on the rest of the deal. Depends who is there.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#220 » by jambalaya » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:54 am

Most of my semi-realistic 1st and 2nd round draft preferences probably would require some move up. But hopefully not by huge cost distances and I'd probably pay moderate prices to do so.

At this time, those main targets are Jalen Smith, Desmond Bane, maybe Tre Jones, Tillman and Flynn.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder