ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Regular Season Thread Vol. BAM Please Burst Through that Bubble

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season Thread Vol. BAM Please Burst Through that Bubble 

Post#141 » by puppa bear » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:24 am

It will be interesting to see if teams play differently, or feel more comfortable, in one “arena” over another.

Small things like which of the identical locker rooms, which side the bench is one, etc can impact small amounts. Given the lack of HCA teams that get hung up on small changes will be at a huge disadvantage. I can see the controlling idiosyncratic superstars being affected the most and if a team has a couple of those it could create extra challenges in a tight series.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,299

Post#142 » by Wiltside » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:31 am

A few things I would look at doing this offszn, assuming Davis stays put in LA.

My understanding is we're projected to have around $26.5m in cap space, assuming Olynyk opts in to his $12m player option (likely) and we retain DJJ's cap hold (until an offer comes...).

1. Sign Aron Baynes to a 1yr deal.
2. Sign Kris Dunn to a 1yr deal.
3. Sign Wayne Ellington to a 1yr deal (I'm assuming he will be released by the Knicks to generate free cap cash).
4. Sign Goran Dragic, Meyers Leonard and Jae Crowder to 1yr deals over the cap.
5. Let Jones Jr walk if an offer over $10m and 1yr comes his way.

Lineup:

PG - Butler / Dragic / Dunn / Vincent (2 way)
SG - Herro / Nunn / Ellington
SF - Robinson / Igoudala / FRP
PF - Adebayo / Crowder / Okpala
C - Baynes / Olynyk / Leonard / Big man (2 way)

Why:

I really like Baynes on this team. Feel like he's exactly what we need at that 5 spot at the moment. Good defender, sets great picks, rebounds and shoots threes. He'd be perfect for 20-25 minutes a night. Sign me up.

Dunn is a victim of a crappy situation in Chicago. I think he'd be really useful as a defensive option at either guard spot, and would be a capable backup option if we suffer injuries in the backcourt - hell, we know Butler and Goran do miss games at times. He's not a very good shooter, but if he's playing with the right lineups, it shouldn't matter. I also would imagine he'll be cheap labor.

Ellington would be somewhat for Golden Kok lols, but also because he knows our system and offers spacing - 2 things at a premium for a 1yr rental on a playoff contender. Again, I'm assuming he's gonna get waived by the Knicks given their new FO and wanting to create additional cap space. I imagine he'd be keen on a return after a couple of journeyman seasons in Detroit and New York.

Bringing back Dragic, Leonard and Crowder on 1yr deals would be a no brainer. The difficulty may be in getting Jae to play ball with it, as his market may be increasing. I think Gogi will do the team thing and stay on for another year. I doubt he wants to go anywhere. Meyers as a 3rd string option would be fine, he should be cheap and again - we know he can positively contribute to winning basketball and fits our lineup.

With the FRP; under this scenario I've got us selecting a wing - my alternative scenario is we sign Josh Jackson at the wing, and draft a backup PG such as Riller/Lewis Jr. I'd be OK under either option personally. May even like Jackson over Nunn due to the potential upside if we can unlock his brain and give him some organisational structure and our player development program.

I've also shifted Herro to the first unit and Nunn to our bench mob. Feel like Tyler has really grown before our eyes over the bubble and will take this confidence into next season. If we can get Nunn going by feasting on 2nd units, that'd be perfect. He'll get plenty of opportunities to contribute.

None of these are particularly "sexy" moves, as they're players that I would imagine don't really get the pulse going, but given our goal of prioritising cap space for 2021 I think these could be some low key solid additions to our core group that could give us plus production on what we've got so far.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,299

Post#143 » by Wiltside » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:27 am

Was just reminiscing about how chit it is that we have lost both Zo and CB to such serious and career limiting/finishing injuries. Two of my favourite guys cut down in their primes, sucks bad.

At 36 years old, CB would be near the end now, but his game would've aged really well. Imagine how perfect he would've been alongside Bam. We basically need to find the new Chris Bosh and put him next to Adebayo for the next decade.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com

Return to Miami Heat