What position(s) are the most important to address this off-season 

Post#1 » by bigfoot » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:21 pm

Where do we need help the most
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Re: What position(s) are the most important to address this off-season 

Post#2 » by Wilber85 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:27 pm

I say let it ride! Draft a 3 and D or sign a 3 and D veteran and that's it. Try to keep this.

Rubio, Payne, Draft
Booker, Carter, DRAFT
Bridges, Oubre
Johnson, Saric, Diallo
Ayton, Baynes, Diallo

Why do we need to keep messing with chemistry! Retain all of our players and build chemistry! If by trade deadline we are under performing, make a splash with a trade.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#3 » by BobbieL » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:47 pm

With the thought that Cam Bridges and Oubre are your three forwards
Ayton and Saric are your 5's

Booker Rubio Payne and Carter

a scoring two guard please off the bench
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#4 » by matt131 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:56 pm

BobbieL wrote:With the thought that Cam Bridges and Oubre are your three forwards

I agree. We need one more player who can create his own shot
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#5 » by Bogyo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:02 pm

BobbieL wrote:With the thought that Cam Bridges and Oubre are your three forwards

I'm happy with these 3 as forwards, and reserve SG's. Book needs to play 35 mins, so there are only 13 minutes there, and there are only 96 minutes at SF/PF too. All 3 of these guys should (deserve to) play around 30 mins I believe.
So, I'd rather have a more athletic PF-type on the roster (B. Clark/Kleber/Gordon - type, can be a rookie too, so salary and lowish playing time is not an issue in the first couple seasons).

*edit: this would also allow us to have a bit different look / another wrinkle in our lineups, which is always welcome defensively, and offensively too.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,653

Post#6 » by Qwigglez » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:02 pm

I agree with Wilber. It's also tough to say after our recent play in the bubble since we executed so flawlessly IMO. Even tougher since we weren't even at full strength. I can't imagine a rookie really making a huge impact if we decide to keep our draft pick but maybe a backup PF/C. Another playmaker or scorer off the bench would be ideal too.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#7 » by bigfoot » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:05 pm

Wilber85 wrote:I say let it ride! Draft a 3 and D or sign a 3 and D veteran and that's it. Try to keep this.

Rubio, Payne, Draft
Booker, Carter, DRAFT
Bridges, Oubre
Johnson, Saric, Diallo
Ayton, Baynes, Diallo

Why do we need to keep messing with chemistry! Retain all of our players and build chemistry! If by trade deadline we are under performing, make a splash with a trade.

I'm not disagreeing that we bring back most of our roster. I'm just wondering the position people think is the weakest that needs some bolstering through either the draft and/or free agency.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#8 » by Wilber85 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:10 pm

bigfoot wrote:
Wilber85 wrote:I say let it ride! Draft a 3 and D or sign a 3 and D veteran and that's it. Try to keep this.

Rubio, Payne, Draft
Booker, Carter, DRAFT
Bridges, Oubre
Johnson, Saric, Diallo
Ayton, Baynes, Diallo

I'm not disagreeing that we bring back most of our roster. I'm just wondering the position people think is the weakest that needs some bolstering through either the draft and/or free agency.

Weakest is 2 guard behind Booker. We have Payne and Carter.
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,450

Post#9 » by sasquatchBob » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:34 pm

Rubio, Payne, Draft
Booker, Carter, DRAFT
Bridges, Oubre
Johnson, Saric, Diallo
Ayton, Baynes, Diallo

I agree. I just want everyone resigned (with exception of Kaminsky) and see what they can do next year. We're on a good wave, let's ride it out. Bench version of Saric is good, Carter and Payne look like an awesome bench back court pairing. Not sure if it's possible to resign Baynes, but if he wants to stay for relatively cheap then I'm up for it.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#10 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:17 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

Rubio, Payne, Draft
Booker, Carter, DRAFT
Bridges, Oubre
Johnson, Saric, Diallo
Ayton, Baynes, Diallo

Payne's the backup 1. Carter's the backup 2. They were both amazing in the bubble. If we keep Oubre, arguably he's backing up the 2, 3 and 4 spots. He can create his own shot and brings something in different to this team offensively and defensively.

If Oubre's out, backup 3 is the biggest hole. As the roster stands, our biggest needs aren't really specific positions, per se. Someone who can create their own shot, as was mentioned. My big thing is length and athleticism at the 4/5 spots - disrupting passing lanes, blocking shots, beasting the boards. As great as Baynes is, the man can't jump.

I can't vote in the poll for the simple reason that we don't need a particular position. Rather, we could use some particular attributes to give ourselves additional flexibility (and depth, in case of injury).
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#11 » by matt131 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:43 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Wilber85 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

Payne's the backup 1. Carter's the backup 2. They were both amazing in the bubble. If we keep Oubre, arguably he's backing up the 2, 3 and 4 spots. He can create his own shot and brings something in different to this team offensively and defensively.

If Oubre's out, backup 3 is the biggest hole. As the roster stands, our biggest needs aren't really specific positions, per se. Someone who can create their own shot, as was mentioned. My big thing is length and athleticism at the 4/5 spots - disrupting passing lanes, blocking shots, beasting the boards. As great as Baynes is, the man can't jump.

I can't vote in the poll for the simple reason that we don't need a particular position. Rather, we could use some particular attributes to give ourselves additional flexibility (and depth, in case of injury).

This is a really good way of putting it. And I agree about the need for an athletic 4/5. If we're going to start Cam Johnson and bring Saric off the bench as a backup big, we will still need someone to guard the more athletic and bouncy 4/5s. I'm not sure who's out there, but matchups against MPJ, AD, Harrell, Draymond, Giannis, Zion, siakim, and anyone too big and strong for Bridges and too long/athletic/quick for Cam/Saric will be really tough for us to handle.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#12 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:51 pm

matt131 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Wilber85 wrote:

This is a really good way of putting it. And I agree about the need for an athletic 4/5. If we're going to start Cam Johnson and bring Saric off the bench as a backup big, we will still need someone to guard the more athletic and bouncy 4/5s. I'm not sure who's out there, but matchups against MPJ, AD, Harrell, Draymond, Giannis, Zion, siakim, and anyone too big and strong for Bridges and too long/athletic/quick for Cam/Saric will be really tough for us to handle.

Boucher (RFA) comes to mind for me.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#13 » by darealjuice » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Back-up guard spots for me. Cam Payne and Jevon Carter came to play in the bubble, but it's a stretch to expect that all season from them. There will be better, more consistent options available for us to chase in FA. I'd really like them as depth though, especially Carter.

I didn't vote for either power forward because I've become more onboard with Mikal, Cam, and Kelly manning the majority of the 3/4 minutes next year. That said, I wouldn't mind looking to taking a look at the position, especially if we aren't able to retain Dario.

There are plenty of free agents of varying skill levels/salary expectations for us to take a look at this offseason. Guards like Fred VanVleet, Goran Dragic, Jordan Clarkson, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Joe Harris, Malik Beasley, DJ Augustin, Jeff Teague, Alec Burks. Forwards like Christian Wood, Danilo Gallinari, Davis Bertans, Jerami Grant, Juancho Hernangomez. I feel like Jones' plan is to keep building solid depth around Booker and expect that the development of Ayton, Bridges, and Cam gets us where we need to be.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:54 pm

I have to go with backup guard spots too. I was going to say PG, because as much as I liked Payne, I don't want to just make an assumption he will continue to play like that. He shot over 51% from 3, and of course any fanbase will love a player who does that for the entire time they've seen him play with them, but we all know that's not sustainable. Prior to that he is a 33% 3 pt shooter. He is an ok passer...decent ast/to ratio. Not really a good FG% inside the arc..like 44% from 2 pt range.

I like Carter too, and Bridges can play some 2 as well.

The best answer might be a combo guard..a guy that can play on ball or off. A guy who could maybe spot start if Rubio is injured if we don't want to go with Book at PG.

However, I wouldn't address that necessarily with the draft because I don't see a spot starting PG in the draft. MAYBE Halliburton though. If he is there at 10, he would be a nice backup combo guard who could play pg.

I don't know if I'd take him at 4. Probably only if Toppin and Avdija were gone..then I might consider.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#15 » by BobbieL » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:08 pm

darealjuice wrote:Back-up guard spots for me. Cam Payne and Jevon Carter came to play in the bubble, but it's a stretch to expect that all season from them. There will be better, more consistent options available for us to chase in FA. I'd really like them as depth though, especially Carter.

I didn't vote for either power forward because I've become more onboard with Mikal, Cam, and Kelly manning the majority of the 3/4 minutes next year. That said, I wouldn't mind looking to taking a look at the position, especially if we aren't able to retain Dario.

There are plenty of free agents of varying skill levels/salary expectations for us to take a look at this offseason. Guards like Fred VanVleet, Goran Dragic, Jordan Clarkson, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Joe Harris, Malik Beasley, DJ Augustin, Jeff Teague, Alec Burks. Forwards like Christian Wood, Danilo Gallinari, Davis Bertans, Jerami Grant, Juancho Hernangomez. I feel like Jones' plan is to keep building solid depth around Booker and expect that the development of Ayton, Bridges, and Cam gets us where we need to be.

With how Saric played - I don't feel the need is there for one of those forwards you mention. Maybe on the MLE

As for the guards, I thought of Goran. I think Bogdan is going to cost money. Fred VV will cost money too. Maybe Alec Burks
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#16 » by Saberestar » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:20 pm

Backup PG/SG for me.

I love the combination of Rubio, Payne, Carter and Booker for the PG and SG spots, but we need at least another good player there for a long regular season and (hopefully) playoffs.

We can spend the full mid-level exception on this player after retaining Saric, Carter, Baynes... so we can have access to some very good players. Reggie Jackson would be one of my favourite options.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,461

Post#17 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:45 pm

[
Spoiler:
quote="bigfoot"]

Rubio, Payne, Draft
Booker, Carter, DRAFT
Bridges, Oubre
Johnson, Saric, Diallo
Ayton, Baynes, Diallo

I'm not disagreeing that we bring back most of our roster. I'm just wondering the position people think is the weakest that needs some bolstering through either the draft and/or free agency.[/quote]

We desperately need to improve our defense in terms of rim protection and a switchable perimeter combo guard. Basically a 1/2 and a switchable long athletically explosive 4/5 ( has the ability/ versatility to cover 2-5 honestly). I say this because throughout the season, As well as the bubble, We've given up far too many leads by allowing teams to easily score at the rim, with little to no contests from our bigs.This becomes a critical issue, As it allows our opponents to get into an offensive rythym and then they start torching us from the perimeter. Which leads to the resulting need for more lockdown perimeter defenders to help Bridges shoulder the defensive load. I'm not suggesting that we should drastically change our team, Rather add 2 maybe 3 prospects from the draft to address these issues and add depth by them replacing Okobo/ Diallo/ Kaminskys' roster spots? Then we'll look to bring everyone else back, And run it back again! :nod:

Best options via draft are:

For Shooting Guard

-Devin Vassell.
A very elite versatile defender with a knockdown perimeter game. Could guard the 1-4.
- Isaac Okoro.
A very strong, explosive versatile wing defender in the mold of a Justice Winslow. Not a good shooter yet though.

- Josh Green.
He's a really strong versatile wing defender in the Raja Bell mold. Not a great playmaker, And scorer at the rim. But shoots 36% from three.

- Tyler Bey.
*** Can switch and guard multiple positions between 2-5 ( *Small ball option).

- Tyrese Maxey.
Can be a Pat Beverly/ Lou Williams type combo guard. Not sure we'd need him that much with Carter honestly though.

- Trevelin Queen.
He offers the best value for a versatile defensive wing ( 2/3) in the Josh Richardson mold. He averages an insane amount of steals and deflections. Also shoots around 38% from three.

- Tyshon Alexander. ** Primary 1/2 option. And also (a late 2nd extreme value option). He's a knockdown 3 point shooter, decent playmaker, And is a strong defender in the Dejounte Murray mold.

For 3 and D Big man 4/5 option-

- Toppin.
He's strong, Athletic, and very explosive. A very potent scorer and roll man. Too much emphasis being put on his hips, lateral movement and mobility. He'll be a very solid defender in the NBA in a professional environment.

- Oneyka Okungwu .
The Top defensive Big in the draft. Would be a great defensive compliment next to Ayton. But isn't yet a good shooter. He'll be a strong pick n' roll defender in the Biyombo/ Bam mold.

- Jalen Smith.
*** Can space the floor, And guard both the 4/5 positions. Giving us premium backup value. He's an ELITE shotblocker and rebounder that is also shooting around 37% from three with an advanced offensive skillset.

-Paul Reed.
*** Can guard positions 2-5. And will give us tremendous defensive versatility and additional value as a switchable defender. He's in the Jerami Grant/ Pascal Siakim mold. Very fluid and versatile as a perimeter and rim protector.

- Precious Achiuwa.
*** Can guard MULTIPLE POSITIONS. Basically 1-5, And has an improving perimeter game. And he has the size/ strength/ versatility to switch on any position, including the 5. He'd offer tremendous value due to his switchability.
- Aleksev Pokusevski.
*** Can offer limitless versatility, And has the highest potential upside for a big in the entire draft.

- Isiah Stewart.
Can play the 4/5 positions. And is very long, very strong. Basically 6'10 with a 7'4 wingspan, And is a wrecking ball in the post. *** Has an improving perimeter game. He's a very strong post defender in the Emeka Okafor/ Dwight Howard ( brute force in the post) mold.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#18 » by Crives » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:55 pm

I get the feeling that we finally have options now, and that we can go after the best player on a fair/value contract regardless of position after what Payne/Dario/Carter did in the bubble.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,622

Post#19 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:03 am

Initially thought back up PG because after Rubio it's Payne and Carter but considering we've run a lot of Payne and Carter at the back up 1 and 2 during the bubble, that probably says we are in need of a back up 2 guard.

Officially we don't have a SG behind Book so I think it makes sense to try and bring in someone who can pick up that guard scoring when Book is sitting. And as good as Payne have been in the bubble with his unexpected scoring, to rely on that during an 82 game season would be suicide. I think we should be thankful we have Payne and Carter but certainly we shouldn't think that's enough.

I also thought perhaps some depth up the front might be needed as we're not particularly deep after Ayton, Cam (who is my starting 4 now) and Saric. Baynes is a FA so we'll see if he's picked up and I'd be keen to get an upgrade over Frank and Chiek.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#20 » by nevetsov » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:17 am

Definitely play making guard (can be at the point or the two).

Remember how much we sucked when we had the G-League rotation at PG?

Then, we became nearly adequate overnight when an NBA calibre player (Tyler Johnson) joined the team for the last 10 games of that season? And he's not even great PG, but he could defend and keep the ball moving at an NBA level. Which was enough.

Then we get Rubio, a playmaking guard, a true floor general, and all of a sudden our offense looks great. We're seeing NBA leading lineups now. Oubre, Johnson, whoever, Rubio has been the catalyst.

Forget the point Book nonsense, kill it with fire. The true barometer of this team will always be play making from the PG spot. We go as far as the general goes, because he unlocks the potential of the other guys (Booker included).

Edit - I do love what Cam Payne has brought and I love having him as a change-of-pace PG off the bench. I think it's an ideal role for him. But should something happen to Rubio, if our only options are Carter at starting PG, or point Book... yikes.

Return to Phoenix Suns