ImageImageImageImageImage

A Tech Guy with a Jumper - Spencer Dinwiddie Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Re: A Tech Guy with a Jumper - Spencer Dinwiddie Thread 

Post#721 » by ProspectPark » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:55 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Dinwiddie is miles better than Ross, and he's not a good defender. Plus, we have backup wing options galore, I'd despise that deal. Spencer stats unless it's part of a deal for that elusive 3rd superstar.

You have to take into account that Dinwiddie is on an expiring contract and we’re over the cap.

The Harris, TJ, and Chiozza contracts, plus the MLE and the Philly pick will put us $30 million over the luxury tax line. If Dinwiddie walks in free agency, which he probably will, we get nothing in return, not even cap space.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#722 » by Paradise » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:35 am

7footMONSTER wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Dinwiddie is miles better than Ross, and he's not a good defender. Plus, we have backup wing options galore, I'd despise that deal. Spencer stats unless it's part of a deal for that elusive 3rd superstar.

You have to take into account that Spencer is on an expiring contract.

Yeah, so why move him until the trade deadline if it indeed does come down to that? We could have a Top 3 record in the East by then.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#723 » by ProspectPark » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:40 am

Paradise wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

Yeah, so why move him until the trade deadline if it indeed does come down to that? We could have a Top 3 record in the East by then.

Because we’re so over the cap, that if he walks, we get nothing beneficial in return. It doesn’t create any cap space for us.

If a deal isn’t made at the deadline, that means we just lost our ability to acquire a $12 million dollar player.

T Ross had a similar contract, but has 3 years left.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#724 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:54 am

I definitely wouldn’t go this far.

He could easily be traded for a better fit/different position whose not as good a player.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#725 » by Paradise » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:20 am

7footMONSTER wrote:
Paradise wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

Because we’re so over the cap, that if he walks, we get nothing beneficial in return. It doesn’t create any cap space for us.

If a deal isn’t made at the deadline, that means we just lost our ability to acquire a $12 million dollar player.

Again, if we have a Top 4 record he will get us even more assets in return, if not Beal or Lavine.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#726 » by ProspectPark » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:57 am

Paradise wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
Paradise wrote:Yeah, so why move him until the trade deadline if it indeed does come down to that? We could have a Top 3 record in the East by then.

Again, if we have a Top 4 record he will get us even more assets in return, if not Beal or Lavine.

At next year’s trade deadline, he will be three months away from becoming an unrestricted free agent. I’m not sure how much trade value he’ll have at that point.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#727 » by DarkXaero » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:45 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

He could easily be traded for a better fit/different position whose not as good a player.
Okay but there's a big difference between Ross and Dinwiddie. Dinwiddie was posting like 25/7 as a starter and main guy on the team, with very little help around him. The guy is a fringe all star caliber player, Ross is just a good rotation player. I would trade Prince + assets for Ross, I think that makes a lot of sense.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#728 » by DarkXaero » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:51 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
Paradise wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

At next year’s trade deadline, he will be three months away from becoming an unrestricted free agent. I’m not sure how much trade value he’ll have at that point.
Bird rights matter though.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#729 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:07 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Okay but there's a big difference between Ross and Dinwiddie. Dinwiddie was posting like 25/7 as a starter and main guy on the team, with very little help around him. The guy is a fringe all star caliber player, Ross is just a good rotation player. I would trade Prince + assets for Ross, I think that makes a lot of sense.

Oh I'm with you, I wouldn't trade him for Ross. Ross is too basketball dumb in my book, borderline low BBIQ and he's not nearly a good shooter from deep as one would assume given his label as a 3&D guy.

I agree, I'd definitely be good if Marks wound up dealing something less significant for him such as Prince and our '21 1st and maybe Rodi, Musa or Claxton for him.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#730 » by ProspectPark » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:23 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
Paradise wrote:Again, if we have a Top 4 record he will get us even more assets in return, if not Beal or Lavine.

Luxury tax brackets. Google them.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#731 » by ProspectPark » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:25 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

You’re not trading Dinwiddie for Ross.

You’re trading Dinwiddie’s expiring contract for Ross’s contract.

Do you understand the difference?
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#732 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:23 am

7footMONSTER wrote:You’re not trading Dinwiddie for Ross.

If anything, looking at it through this lens makes it worse. Guys like Ross are flashy and can score in bunches, but he is far from a 3&D stud. Both his defense and his shot from long-range are streaky. I would much rather have a guy like TLC on a minimum contract, than Terrance for 8X the price.

One year of Spencer is worth more in the win-loss column than 3 years of Ross. That's before you even factor in bird rights. Even if we can't afford to keep SD long-term at the number he'll garner, we may be able to negotiate a sign-and-trade for an expiring contract and an asset in return.

There are many other variables we could consider, the bottom line is we're not trading Spence for spare parts. I can't even fathom the thought, this dude was torching the league when Kyrie went down. He's a ridiculous luxury off the bench, we just haven't seen enough of it while Kyrie is healthy truly understand what a gem we have in him.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#733 » by DarkXaero » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:58 am

7footMONSTER wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

Luxury tax brackets. Google them.
I know what luxury tax is. I'm saying teams will see the ability to have his bird rights as a plus. Is that hard to understand?
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#734 » by DarkXaero » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:00 am

7footMONSTER wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

You’re not trading Dinwiddie for Ross.

Thanks for the clarification, I understand the difference now. And yeah, the answer is still the same. Even if Dinwiddie bolts in free agency, 1 year of Dinwiddie can still be a huge help for team trying to contend for a championship.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#735 » by Claud » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:30 pm

Not sure how the math will work out but would love to keep Spencer home.

It's beautiful to see guys that were in the trash bin continue to work hard and find a spot in the league.

Dinwiddie has far surpassed what we all expected. Remember Yogi vs. Dinwiddie days? :lol: 8-)

Kyrie hasn't played 70 games in a season in 5 + years(correct me if i'm wrong I might be) so we need a really good backup option.

Dinwiddie and Caris give us cover for such situations. I understand he could be a starter and get more money on other teams though.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#736 » by ProspectPark » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:56 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:

If anything, looking at it through this lens makes it worse. Guys like Ross are flashy and can score in bunches, but he is far from a 3&D stud. Both his defense and his shot from long-range are streaky. I would much rather have a guy like TLC on a minimum contract, than Terrance for 8X the price.

One year of Spencer is worth more in the win-loss column than 3 years of Ross. That's before you even factor in bird rights. Even if we can't afford to keep SD long-term at the number he'll garner, we may be able to negotiate a sign-and-trade for an expiring contract and an asset in return.

There are many other variables we could consider, the bottom line is we're not trading Spence for spare parts. I can't even fathom the thought, this dude was torching the league when Kyrie went down. He's a ridiculous luxury off the bench, we just haven't seen enough of it while Kyrie is healthy truly understand what a gem we have in him.

No one said Dinwiddie is not great. No one said Terrance Ross is a “3&D stud” and 3&D studs are rarely available in the NBA.

Dinwiddie will get $20+ million in free agency + a chance at being a starter in the NBA.

After signing Harris, we will have the most expensive roster in the NBA. We will be in the most expensive luxury tax bracket.

Acquiring a player like Ross solidifies our bench. TJ / Ross / Prince / Rodi / Allen.

Having Ross’s contract also adds to our trade capital. If at some point, a better player becomes available, we can use Ross’s contract to make the salaries match (Prince + Ross) without having to move one of our core players. Let’s say in two years, a $30 million player becomes available, now we can package Ross in a trade without having to lose LeVert or Harris. That’s the point of this. More contracts on the books to increase roster flexibility in the future.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#737 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:41 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

No one said Dinwiddie is not great. No one said Terrance Ross is a “3&D stud” and 3&D studs are rarely available in the NBA.

Dinwiddie will get $20+ million in free agency + a chance at being a starter in the NBA.

After signing Harris, we will have the most expensive roster in the NBA. We will be in the most expensive luxury tax bracket.

Acquiring a player like Ross solidifies our bench. TJ / Ross / Prince / Rodi / Allen.

Having Ross’s contract also adds to our trade capital. If at some point, a better player becomes available, we can use Ross’s contract to make the salaries match (Prince + Ross) without having to move one of our core players. Let’s say in two years, a $30 million player becomes available, now we can package Ross in a trade without having to lose LeVert or Harris. That’s the point of this. More contracts on the books to increase roster flexibility in the future.

Ross specifically just isn't close to good enough to deal Spencer for imho. Way far apart. If you told me it was Evan Fournier I'd like it though.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#738 » by ProspectPark » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:15 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:If anything, looking at it through this lens makes it worse. Guys like Ross are flashy and can score in bunches, but he is far from a 3&D stud. Both his defense and his shot from long-range are streaky. I would much rather have a guy like TLC on a minimum contract, than Terrance for 8X the price.

Ross specifically just isn't close to good enough to deal Spencer for imho. Way far apart. If you told me it was Evan Fournier I'd like it though.

Dinwiddie = expiring contract

Are you aware players on expiring contracts are not worth their face value?
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#739 » by LOUiS-D » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:35 am

This isn't directed at anyone in particular. Try to debate each other with a bit more generosity of spirit. You can disagree and present counter arguments without trying to dunk on people. This is a small community, the difference between what we have and a ghost town is people feeling like they have a place here.

Dunking is fun no doubt, just don't forget the camaradie part.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#740 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:50 am

7footMONSTER wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

Dinwiddie = expiring contract

Are you aware players on expiring contracts are not worth their face value?

I’d take a year of Spencer over 3 of Terrence Ross any day of the year from our team’s perspective, or really just in general.

Return to Brooklyn Nets