ImageImageImage

Who'd you rather "overpay"

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#1 » by Bluelabel24 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:58 pm

obviously no franchise would want to overpay anyone but it has become a need to acquire a game changer the past years. Its a matter of choosing the right one to "overpay" id share a few names that i think might get overpaid this offseason and next.

Josh Richardson
Bam Adebayo
Davis Bertans
Og Anunoby
Montrezl Harrell
Fred Vanvleet

someone else first suggested it.. i think the prospect to target should be OG Anunoby. This guy is the perfect fit for us.
Only 23yrs old, one of the best defenders in the league and a knockdown 3pt(40%) shooter.
The best part is he can guard C's
https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2020/08/05/og-anunoby-swallowed-bam-adebayo-and-it-unlocked-torontos-team-defense/
he was able to handle Adebayo who's one of the strongest guys in the league.
He checks all the boxes that we need. A tough guy who can rebound and defend any position, athletic, another lob target for luka.
https://www.nba.com/draft/2017/prospects/og_anunoby#/
7'6 wingspan according to nba.com

Ive done a little research on what might be the numbers to get him away from the Raptors. Given that they just locked Siakam for 4yr/130m.
"For Anunoby, his cap hold will be $11.6 million (300% of his previous year’s salary). If the Raptors believe they can sign Anuonby to a new deal at $11.6 million or less then it makes sense to lock him up this offseason. However, if the Raptors believe Anunoby’s new contract will start at a figure higher than $11.6 million, it makes sense to wait."
https://raptorsrapture.com/2020/05/11/toronto-raptors-anunoby-contract/3/

it might be somewhere between 14-20m/yr which i think is reasonable for a guy of his caliber. He's still young and is developing bigtime. I dont think he is in the same mold like Otto porter jr who the wiz definitely overpaid by giving 27m/yr
id love to read about other players who you guys believe are deserving of that kind of contract ahead of OG.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#2 » by ejs78 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:16 pm

Bam hands down for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#3 » by matt6715 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:57 pm

Bam is a franchise cornerstone for Miami so I don't think he's getting away. Out of that list - Give me Anunoby
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#4 » by Mr B » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:50 pm

None, find a way to get Dame Lillard without giving up KP. If you’re going to over pay I’d rather do it for an established star. I know this could never happen but Luka, Dame, and KP would be really fun to watch.

No way Miami lets Bam get away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#5 » by BlueSan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:31 am

Bam...
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#6 » by Darren » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:17 am

Bam is not going to be underpaid for all the triple doubles. Among the list, I think I won't target a forward or a 3D player who's clearly not on elite class. That being said, I'd go for FVV. Realistically, the Mavs could only get UFA. That leaves the Mavs with FVV or Harrell. I consider FVV more impactful player. Took at the Toronto roster, it's nowhere close to Eastern Champion but FVV makes the case, at least for regular season. People keep pointing out the lack of efficiency of FVV. Don't forget FVV is being guarded by the best defenders on whatever team as a first option. The Mavs need quick and clutch players to win close games.
And FVV is indeed among elite in steals and shooting. I'm not impressed by Anunoby. DFS passes my eyetest a little more. I don't consider og elite in defense. As for Richardson, I think that's the same Harrison Barnes situation. I doubt the fit alongside Doncic. Richardson is more natural 3 than 2. If you put Doncic at 4, shot-blocking at both frontcourt is compromised.

Realistically, the Mavs couldn't overpay any with the current payroll. To do so, the Mavs have to stay way under the cap. Unless there's any Powell + Wright trade, the Mavs is likely not in mix. To me, it's a decision between FVV or oladipo as Giannis likely stays in Milwaukee for pure money issue. Among the two, I'd target FVV as most teams have a powder dry plan in 2021. Why not just take what's available? If the Mavs couldn't draft Vessell, Nesmith or Bey, I am all for trading the pick to unload Powell and Wright for an expiring big who can somewhat hit the rotation. Then overpay FVV from Toronto and from Grant from Denver. I think both players have legitimate interests to play alongside Doncic and KP. The Mavs could still get 2-3 firsts from Kleber, Brunson and Curry trade. So the Mavs keep the young core under 26. Then, that's a 5-year windows with 1-3 options, clutchness and fit alongside each other. As long as the Mavs get a steal for a starting 2, the Mavs is bound to contend for a lot of years. Some scramble projects, such as Ntilikina, should be available for 31 pick or Brunson. Why not give 2020 a try? The Mavs could also keep Kleber, Brunson and Curry for a deep bench. I'd also target Broekhoff for backup 4 role. I may also try 31 for Bjelica and future second rounder.

C - KP / Kleber / Boban
PF - Grant / Bjelica for 31 / Broekhoff with min
SF - Doncic / DFS / Reaves with min or expiring veteran from 18 + Powell + Wright trade
SG - Hardaway / Curry / Ntilikina for Brunson
PG - FVV / Burke with 3M / Barea with min

Jackson not picked up. If Ntilikina works out well, take Hardaway's spot. That's how things work out. I kinida like Burke's speed and decision, I'm actually comfortable with Burke instead of Brunson. I want to keep Barea's leadership and ability to perform at big stage. I'd trade Brunson + 31 for NYK for Ntilikina and future pick instead. If the Mavs end up with 31 pick, I may try out some leftover bigs from first round pool instead. KP, Grant, Kleber are also shot-blocking presence. Grant, DFS and Ntilikina are all among elite defenders. Curry, FVV and Broekhoff are all elite shooters. FVV, Burke and Barea are quick as hell. Boban and KP are big enough to give the Mavs favorable mismatches at time. The Mavs win with flexibility, teamworks and coaching. That's my thought. I'm against Powell and Wright signing last offseason. That's exactly how things turn out.

The Mavs lack athleticism, clutchness and defense in general. Getting them all from the above trade. I think at least one team will buy on 18th pick taking both Powell + Wright. There's always some teams which are not attractive to FA. The price of a 1st rounder is growing this couple of seasons. I expect the Mavs to find a suitor easily. Wright is technically on only 2-year contract. Powell is only 11M per. It is not too difficult to move them both if the Mavs come to term early with a team.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,817

Post#7 » by dirkforpres » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:28 pm

Bam is a max player. Sucks we chose Dennis friggin Smith over him
FIRE JASON KIDD
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#8 » by Darren » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:08 am

dirkforpres wrote:Bam is a max player. Sucks we chose Dennis friggin Smith over him

Yes, it is. The Mavs also prioritized larkin over Giannis and Gobert. Bam is not attainable. But I think the Mavs could target key staff for Miami young player development. Many of the Miami young players have made a name these couple of season. Derrick Jones, Duncan Robinson, Bam... to name a few. I think Sproetra is very underrated coach. Another one is luke Walton.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#9 » by arkuo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:20 am

Miami will be in a bind soon. Bam Adebayo, Duncan Robinson, Kendrick Nunn will all be RFA at a time when they want to also bid for Giannis. So it's a matter of saving that cap space for Giannis or matching all other offers for their players. They will also have to pay to keep Derrick Jones Jr and Goran Dragic this summer. At some point you have to think these contacts will pile up and something has got to give.
Bluelabel24
Junior

Post#10 » by Bluelabel24 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:47 am

arkuo wrote:Miami will be in a bind soon. Bam Adebayo, Duncan Robinson, Kendrick Nunn will all be RFA at a time when they want to also bid for Giannis. So it's a matter of saving that cap space for Giannis or matching all other offers for their players. They will also have to pay to keep Derrick Jones Jr and Goran Dragic this summer. At some point you have to think these contacts will pile up and something has got to give.

yeah.. Bam was my first choice but i factored in the feasibility to acquire said individual. according to multiple sites and Windhorst, the heat can indeed offer bam max money. now whether or not they will is another issue. its possible they wont given the bad taste with the Tyler Johnson and Whiteside(27m this yr alone) contract they gave not so long ago. i do think that bam is different from those guys and will not slack off once he gets paid.

regarding OG anunoby here are some article backed by facts and stats that show how good and versatile a defender he is.
https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/is-og-anunoby-the-best-isolation-defender-in-the-nba
https://ca.nba.com/news/the-incredible-defensive-versatility-of-toronto-raptors-forward-og-anunoby-in-one-play/1krmg2hfeqaip1hin4y1p4x5bi

hes been tasked to guard explosive guys from Irving/westbrook to brute force guys like Joker/Bam and he has done so with great efficiency. I think thats rare and a big asset in todays nba. Hes also in that same scenario as Malcolm Brogdon was a year ago.
Obviously the bucks didnt want to let go of Brogdon whos a young guy, great defender, and a member of the 50-40-90 club but they just didnt have the cap to sign him. right now, unless toronto made drastic cap clearing measures, it seems as though they could only give OG below 14m per year which is reasonable but if some other franchise offers more i think he takes it. The guy is only 23 and already an nba champ so hes not ring chasing.

right now i think that the offense is already at an all-time great level. we dont have much issues in that area.
what we badly need is grit, toughness and defense.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#11 » by Michaellam1987 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:27 am

It is impossible to overpay a young all star player like Bam, because it cost you a max to resign the player. OG will become too expensive if take more than 20m per year to sign.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#12 » by Teffer10 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:40 am

Bluelabel24 wrote:obviously no franchise would want to overpay anyone but it has become a need to acquire a game changer the past years. Its a matter of choosing the right one to "overpay" id share a few names that i think might get overpaid this offseason and next.

Josh Richardson
Bam Adebayo
Davis Bertans
Og Anunoby
Montrezl Harrell
Fred Vanvleet

someone else first suggested it.. i think the prospect to target should be OG Anunoby. This guy is the perfect fit for us.
Only 23yrs old, one of the best defenders in the league and a knockdown 3pt(40%) shooter.
https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2020/08/05/og-anunoby-swallowed-bam-adebayo-and-it-unlocked-torontos-team-defense/
He checks all the boxes that we need. A tough guy who can rebound and defend any position, athletic, another lob target for luka.

Ive done a little research on what might be the numbers to get him away from the Raptors. Given that they just locked Siakam for 4yr/130m.
"For Anunoby, his cap hold will be $11.6 million (300% of his previous year’s salary). If the Raptors believe they can sign Anuonby to a new deal at $11.6 million or less then it makes sense to lock him up this offseason. However, if the Raptors believe Anunoby’s new contract will start at a figure higher than $11.6 million, it makes sense to wait."

it might be somewhere between 14-20m/yr which i think is reasonable for a guy of his caliber. He's still young and is developing bigtime. I dont think he is in the same mold like Otto porter jr who the wiz definitely overpaid by giving 27m/yr
id love to read about other players who you guys believe are deserving of that kind of contract ahead of OG.

Richardson would be the most realistic and best fit from that bunch. I think he'd be great playing next to Luka and might be able to take his game to another level playing with him.
I'd be happy with any of those that are achievable on that list though in the right deal.

I think we'll end up overpaying Hardaway when all is said and done.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#13 » by Pinkyring » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:27 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Bam is a max player. Sucks we chose Dennis friggin Smith over him

In the long run it wouldn't have mattered, either he's traded for kp or kp isnt here. Dsj was the centerpiece of that deal
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#14 » by Dundalis » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:55 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:obviously no franchise would want to overpay anyone but it has become a need to acquire a game changer the past years. Its a matter of choosing the right one to "overpay" id share a few names that i think might get overpaid this offseason and next.

Josh Richardson
Bam Adebayo
Davis Bertans
Og Anunoby
Montrezl Harrell
Fred Vanvleet

Richardson would be the most realistic and best fit from that bunch. I think he'd be great playing next to Luka and might be able to take his game to another level playing with him.
I'd be happy with any of those that are achievable on that list though in the right deal.

Which would be idiotic when we overpaid then traded Barnes for nothing, who is the better player
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#15 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:34 pm

Dundalis wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Josh Richardson
Bam Adebayo
Davis Bertans
Og Anunoby
Montrezl Harrell
Fred Vanvleet

Which would be idiotic when we overpaid then traded Barnes for nothing, who is the better player

Yep, he's been really a bright spot, but the guy should be a $10-$11-mill/yr player. The same type of contract that Will Barton got for Denver, a year after he averaged 15ppg, 5arpg and 4apg. If we can get him for that, would be a great deal and fill a really good role for this team.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#16 » by Heezzi » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:05 am

The best to overpay for would be Davis Bertans.
Bluelabel24
Junior

Post#17 » by Bluelabel24 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:22 am

id be okay if they offered Bam/OG around 18-22m/yr.. to me they should be 1a and 1b targets.

might seem to be a far fetched thought of landing either but would still be helpful not to have that defeatist attitude and be like" this guy is probably not gonna sign so lets not even bother calling" if they sign elsewhere thats fine but gotta atleast try..

then sign Jae Crowder.. i believe what Luka did the past 10 games boosted the appeal of playing in dallas. others are gonna want to play with him easily..
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#18 » by wolfram » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:19 am

I'm not sure many players (free agents) will want to play with Luka. He is very young, white and a franchise player. I don't see many playing "under" him. But I understand the appeal - he makes players better. But don't expect star players going to Dallas - but maybe elite role players.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#19 » by deb » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:08 pm

Dallas doesn't need a third star imo. Who's the third star on the Lakers or Clippers? Howard and Rondo may have been stars a decade ago, burt aren't now. Is Lou Williams a star? Morris? Beverly or Zubac? What Dallas needs now is better role players to complement KP and Luka. Basically a bunch of versatile 3&D guys with grit.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#20 » by arkuo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:26 pm

from that list, Bam for sure.

Return to Dallas Mavericks