ImageImageImage

Sophmores, 2020-21 – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko; (Green, Poirier) 

Post#581 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Aug 9, 2020 7:09 pm

Bazley with a 23-7. Just turned 20 y/o. Must be nice having a 6'9" SF, an athlete with high BBIQ, who can score on all three levels, great defender, and has great size and length for his position. Someone that could have been contributing right away and groomed to take over the starting position once Hayward left so we wouldn't miss a beat. Too bad he wasn't available for us to take...oh wait, Danny passed on him twice.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko; (Green, Poirier) 

Post#582 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Aug 9, 2020 7:33 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:Bazley with a 23-7. Just turned 20 y/o. Must be nice having a 6'9" SF, an athlete with high BBIQ, who can score on all three levels, great defender, and has great size and length for his position. Someone that could have been contributing right away and groomed to take over the starting position once Hayward left so we wouldn't miss a beat. Too bad he wasn't available for us to take...oh wait, Danny passed on him twice.

You're an angry person. I feel like there's not a lot of joy in your life? True or false?
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#583 » by themoneyteam2 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:36 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:Bazley with a 23-7. Just turned 20 y/o. Must be nice having a 6'9" SF, an athlete with high BBIQ, who can score on all three levels, great defender, and has great size and length for his position. Someone that could have been contributing right away and groomed to take over the starting position once Hayward left so we wouldn't miss a beat. Too bad he wasn't available for us to take...oh wait, Danny passed on him twice.

You should really be hired as a scout by every NBA team. Seems like you’d nail every pick in the draft... that is of course after you get to see them all play 50+ games. And also to judge picks off of a 50 game sample size is absurd on its own.

And Bol Bol with another DNP-CD since the Nuggets had their starters healthy now. That’s odd. I thought you said he’s a big contributor to their team and in the rotation. If only Danny would’ve picked him at 14!
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#584 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:39 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:

You should really be hired as a scout by every NBA team. Seems like you’d nail every pick in the draft... that is of course after you get to see them all play 50+ games. And also to judge picks off of a 50 game sample size is absurd on its own.

And Bol Bol with another DNP-CD since the Nuggets had their starters healthy now. That’s odd. I thought you said he’s a big contributor to their team and in the rotation. If only Danny would’ve picked him at 14!

you'd sound clever except for the fact that I wanted these players BEFORE the draft. So what now?

Bazley with a 22-10-3 game. Bol played 21 minutes and contributed 8-5-2 with a block even with Jamal Murray back. So 2 out of the 5 games he's played he's logged 20 minutes while playing big games with playoff implications in the bubble. That's the same amount of times Edwards has logged in THIRTY SIX games!!! Langford has only played 20 minutes five times out of 30 games. Remember when Danny passed on Bazley and Bol multiple time lol? Keep defending him. Don't worry, it's a good look...oh wait
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#585 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:42 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:

You're an angry person. I feel like there's not a lot of joy in your life? True or false?

says the clearly triggered poster apparently angry enough about my posts that you have to project. You needing to post this brings me joy
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#586 » by Parliament10 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:06 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

says the clearly triggered poster apparently angry enough about my posts that you have to project. You needing to post this brings me joy

STOP the Baiting and Adversarial posts.
Express your opinions without being Adversarial.

~ Parl
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#587 » by themoneyteam2 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:56 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

you'd sound clever except for the fact that I wanted these players BEFORE the draft. So what now?

Bazley with a 22-10-3 game. Bol played 21 minutes and contributed 8-5-2 with a block even with Jamal Murray back. So 2 out of the 5 games he's played he's logged 20 minutes while playing big games with playoff implications in the bubble. That's the same amount of times Edwards has logged in THIRTY SIX games!!! Langford has only played 20 minutes five times out of 30 games. Remember when Danny passed on Bazley and Bol multiple time lol? Keep defending him. Don't worry, it's a good look...oh wait

Sorry but picking Bazley over Romeo at #14 would not have been a good choice. You can argue Bazley over Grant at 22 sure but would’ve been a major reach to pick Bazley or Bol Bol at 14.

The Nuggets played all their bench guys in the 4th so he’s not at all surprising he got 20 mins. If they cared about winning that game they would’ve played their starters in the 4th so spare me the “playing big games with playoff implications”. And they were still without Harris and Barton.

8/5/2 looks solid until you actually watch the games and see he was by far the worst Nuggets defender since he can’t defend in space and got absolutely bullied on the glass. 3 separate Lakers players got and 1s on Bol Bol fouls.

I tend not to make judgements on rookies after 50 games and wait until at least year 2 to start judging how a GM did in the draft. And, now is the time in the NBA season where the last few games with playoff spots locked up guys like Tyler Ulis will get 40 mins a night and give you 25 and 10 and suddenly people think he’s a steal of the draft, only to be outta the league the next year. Hence why I don’t make judgments on guys until they’re in their 2nd year.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#588 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:25 am

Bazley with another great game-21-9-4 with a steal and a block. Man, how nice would it be to have him instead of Grant Williams. Damn :( He JUST turned 20 y/o in June? And Grant Williams turns 22 y/o in a few months. Yikes
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#589 » by Elrod is Back » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:54 pm

Boston Couch GM— every team can be flame broiled for missing draft picks. Danny has passed on guys who seemed better to me that what they took at the time: Jimmy Butler, Draymond, Giannis come to mind. Red, as great as he was, passed on Willis Reed.

Just let it go and revel in the players we did get that proved brilliant choices: Smart, Brown, Tatum. And we are not far from a league wide discussion on How the hell did Danny Ainge steal Robert Williams at the end of the God damned 1st round?
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#590 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:27 am

Elrod is Back wrote:Boston Couch GM— every team can be flame broiled for missing draft picks. Danny has passed on guys who seemed better to me that what they took at the time: Jimmy Butler, Draymond, Giannis come to mind. Red, as great as he was, passed on Willis Reed.

Just let it go and revel in the players we did get that proved brilliant choices: Smart, Brown, Tatum. And we are not far from a league wide discussion on How the hell did Danny Ainge steal Robert Williams at the end of the God damned 1st round?

Did you know BostonCouchGM never misses on draft picks? He’s amazing. I’m shocked he hasn’t been hired yet.

The Celtics have arguably the most homegrown talent in the league and never tanked but he still acts like Danny Ainge is an idiot and can’t draft.

Also, he said we should have picked Kendrick Nunn over Timelord lol. Even though you know if we picked a 6-2 PG at #27 while Robert Williams was there on the board he would have flipped out.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#591 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:11 pm

Bol had a nice 8-4-2 with 3 blocks. The most important stat being he only played 15 minutes which was around what the starters did. It looks like they view him as an integral part of their rotation going into the playoffs. Good for him. Still can't believe we passed on him three times. If Langford can ever stay healthy maybe the 2019 draft won't be a complete bust.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#592 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:25 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:Boston Couch GM— every team can be flame broiled for missing draft picks. Danny has passed on guys who seemed better to me that what they took at the time: Jimmy Butler, Draymond, Giannis come to mind. Red, as great as he was, passed on Willis Reed.

ain't that the truth. I cannot believe how bad teams are at drafting. But they seemingly have everyone convinced it's real hard when it doesn't appear to be. How many times have we all laughed at picks teams have made? How many times has Michael Jordan taken the worst possible player, passing on so many better players? People rightfully consider him a joke when it comes to the draft. Thing is, Danny has been just as bad really if you take out the 2 top 3 picks, equalling MJ's ineptitude. I can't let it go because the vast majority actually think Danny is a good drafter and they vocalize this so I feel impelled to disagree. It doesn't mean he's a bad overall G.M. because I honestly think he's great (not so much recently) at finding plug and play players for Brad's system that he gets on the cheap because they're under appreciated elsewhere. And we know he's made two of the best trades in NBA history. You'd think that'd make my haters happy but no, they want people to blindly praise Danny Ainge for all things and I just can't do it. It makes enemies but so be it.

And I don't think he "stole" Robert Williams. He's a 6'9" center who can't shoot. His defensive IQ is terrible. He makes splash plays because he's one of the best leapers in the NBA for someone his size and has good length but it's far outweighed by his bumbling about and often incapable of playing due to injuries and conditioning. I wouldn't use Robert Williams as proof that Danny is a good drafter. I thought Mitchell Robinson was a lottery talent in that draft and should have been our pick so Williams is actually someone I use to help in my argument that he constantly leaves better players on the board during drafts. And it's not "revisionist history" because I was very vocal about Mitchell Robinson and how we should have taken him. Once Robinsons is on a good team and his coaches allow him to shoot (he can) people will see why. As is, everyone already knows what an actual steal he was for the Knicks as a 2nd rounder.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,344

Post#593 » by Red2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:36 pm

Romeo can’t catch a break . That said the 2019 draft will go down as another wasted draft by Danny . All he had to do was make the onbvious pick in Brandon Clark
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,894

Post#594 » by CelticsPride18 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:50 pm

Red2 wrote:Romeo can’t catch a break . That said the 2019 draft will go down as another wasted draft by Danny . All he had to do was make the onbvious pick in Brandon Clark

I don’t think you can say that yet. Edwards looks like a bust but the rest of the class has shown some flashes.
Red2
RealGM

Post#595 » by Red2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:25 pm

Boy I wish Danny had drafted Brandon Clarke .
Red2
RealGM

Post#596 » by Red2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:31 pm

Grant Williams is a great kid but he’s undersized as a big and too slow as a wing . I’m not seeing it with Edwards and Tremont .. too small
Red2
RealGM

Post#597 » by Red2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:34 pm

And you can throw Vincent the pants in there as well
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,051

Post#598 » by Dogen » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:07 pm

Red2 wrote:Boy I wish Danny had drafted Brandon Clarke .

I was all about Sekou or Herro with the first pick and Clarke with second pick, so that could have been a reality (not Herro obviously, but the other two). It would have been a great trade if Clarke had lasted a few more picks, but I don't think anyone thought he'd be there at 24, so it seems apparent Danny wasn't that big on him.

As soon as the Grant pick was in, I figured I'd be comparing Herro/Sekou/Romeo and Clarke/Williams for years to come, and thus far it is.... not looking too good honestly, but it's still early. Watching Thybulle, Herro and Clarke is particularly hard. Those guys already have some veteran skills.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#599 » by Elrod is Back » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:01 pm

The jury is out on All our kids for another year. Romeo looked terrific at the things he was supposed to suck at: defense, court awareness. He needs to develop the part of his game that was his calling card: creating shots, scoring, finishing at the rim.

Grant will go as far as his shooting takes him. He will never be an all-star but he can be a fine rotation player. Let’s see where he is in a year.

Edwards was the talk of the NBA after summer league and training camp. If he gets comfortable shooting he can be a useful bench guy.

Waters was drafted 51st so anything we get from him is pure gravy. I think he will have an NBA career. Great pick.

Give Poirier and Tacko another year. They were freebies, by the way. Vince gets trashed widely but he deserves another year to develop.

These guys are all relatively cheap.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#600 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:00 pm

Grant’s box score stats look horrendous but then you see he has the 2nd best +/- on the team behind Tatum. Take that with a grain of salt of course but just gives you an idea of all the stuff he does that doesn’t show up in the box score.

He’s probably never gonna give you 12 and 6 as a 6th or 7th man off the bench but I think he’ll just be a really solid role player for a long time. Now, the question is if that’s worth the #22 pick and most would probably say no. Clarke was the pick most wanted. I wonder if Ainge passed since Clarke was already 23 and Grant is 2 years younger? No idea but I will say Grant was 2x SEC POY so was far from a scrub. I’m still hopeful he’ll be a lot better next year.

I’m just not ready to judge this past draft class after 60 games. Give them at least midway until next season and we can start talking.

Return to Boston Celtics