Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#301 » by Pinkyring » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:01 am

clyde21 wrote:not what I would do but what I think teams would do right now if they had the chance to redo the 19 lottoish:

1. New Orleans: Zion Williamson
2. Memphis: Ja Morant
3. New York: Coby White
4. Atlanta: R.J. Barrett
5. Cleveland: Tyler Herro
6. Minnesota: Brandon Clarke
7. Chicago: Cameron Reddish
8. New Orleans: Jaxson Hayes
9. Washington: P.J. Washington
10. Atlanta: Kevin Porter Jr.
11. Phoenix: Nickeil Alexander-Walker
12. Charlotte: De'Andre Hunter
13. Miami: Matisse Thybulle
14. Boston: Goga Bitadze
15. Detroit: Sekou Doumbouya
16. Orlando: Rui Hachimura
17. New Orleans: Darius Garland
18. Indiana: Chuma Okeke

Reddish is god awful he's the 129th ranked sg in RPM for Pete's sake, add in that he'll be 21 before his rookie season even starts meaning he was an old college freshman and it's just all bad. B2b terrible seasons and he moves up 3 spots for u ... ok
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#302 » by nolang1 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:54 am

Pinkyring wrote:
clyde21 wrote:not what I would do but what I think teams would do right now if they had the chance to redo the 19 lottoish:

Reddish is god awful he's the 129th ranked sg in RPM for Pete's sake, add in that he'll be 21 before his rookie season even starts meaning he was an old college freshman and it's just all bad. B2b terrible seasons and he moves up 3 spots for u ... ok

Didn't like him very much before the draft (had him somewhere outside the lottery) but he shot it better every single month and post all-star break until the season was suspended (which is a larger sample than the bubble games) averaged 16 a game on .622 TS% and was Atlanta's best perimeter defender. Really for anyone except Zion, Ja, and Clarke (who has a 3+ year head start on most of the competition), you're left choosing who had the best flashes in small stretches of play.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,569

Post#303 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:55 am

Klomp wrote:Let me give you a deeep sleeper: Naz Reid.

Went undrafted, and is on a minutes restriction at the summer league, but he's still putting up 11/4/2 in just 18 mpg. Most importantly, he just looks good. If he continues to get himself in better shape, the Wolves have themselves a nice little steal on a two-way deal.

Called it all the way back after 2019 summer league, but even I didn't expect him to do what he did in his first year. First of all, that summer league performance described above netted him a 1+3 contract heading into the season. After spending most of the first half of the year in the G League (averaging 18/10), Minnesota cleared room for him to step into the rotation at the deadline by trading Gorgui Dieng. Not only that, but Karl-Anthony Towns goes down two games later, thrusting Reid into the starting lineup where he averaged 12/6 the rest of the way. Not star production, but pretty solid for an undrafted rookie. Keep in mind he will only be turning 21 at the end of August and is paid under $2 million for each of the next three seasons.

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#304 » by Pinkyring » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:30 am

nolang1 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

Didn't like him very much before the draft (had him somewhere outside the lottery) but he shot it better every single month and post all-star break until the season was suspended (which is a larger sample than the bubble games) averaged 16 a game on .622 TS% and was Atlanta's best perimeter defender. Really for anyone except Zion, Ja, and Clarke (who has a 3+ year head start on most of the competition), you're left choosing who had the best flashes in small stretches of play.

A handful of good games doesn't negate the fact that he's trash
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#305 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:01 am

Pinkyring wrote:

1) read the first sentence, not what I would do, just how I think it would go

2) Cam is a hot commodity, a legit 6-8 wing that can defend multiple positions, hit 3s and run the court are extremely valuable

3) Cam by the end of the season was a completely different player than the beginning of the season

4) RPM for rooks is a completely useless stat
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#306 » by Pinkyring » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:29 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

2) Cam is a hot commodity, a legit 6-8 wing that can defend multiple positions, hit 3s and run the court are extremely valuable

3) Cam by the end of the season was a completely different player than the beginning of the season

He shot 33% from 3 that's awful
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#307 » by King Ken » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:34 pm

Pinkyring wrote:

I dislike Basketball noobs with a passion. WOAT basketball fans.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#308 » by Pinkyring » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:57 pm

King Ken wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

Good for you, i dislike D riding homers, so i guess we've now both shared our opinions of dislike. Would you like to talk basketball now or continue to make unnecessary statements?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#309 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Reddish is god awful he's the 129th ranked sg in RPM for Pete's sake, add in that he'll be 21 before his rookie season even starts meaning he was an old college freshman and it's just all bad. B2b terrible seasons and he moves up 3 spots for u ... ok

thats your response? really?
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#310 » by King Ken » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:56 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Reddish is god awful he's the 129th ranked sg in RPM for Pete's sake, add in that he'll be 21 before his rookie season even starts meaning he was an old college freshman and it's just all bad. B2b terrible seasons and he moves up 3 spots for u ... ok

Good for you, i dislike D riding homers, so i guess we've now both shared our opinions of dislike. Would you like to talk basketball now or continue to make unnecessary statements?

I don't dislike anyone for their opinions regardless if it's trash or not. But I hate people who say really stupid **** like it's a fact or without context. Those are the worst fans in the world. This is the NBA draft forum, the one things where there is no really trash opinion due to the fact that this is about projections, expectations and different views.

When a guy comes saying this guy is bad because of some goofy ass stat without any context and then acting like his stupid ass is correct is the Worst freaking fans in the world. Unbearable and truly, they are plain garbage. I rather you just give opinions like everyone else does or else provide reasoning. None of which the WOAT fans tend to do.

This isn't the general board. Please don't come here with your rubbish.

Example: I think Michael Duncan. I do not see him becoming a star or sure why others do. When I watched him, I didn't see a star.

This is a typical opinion on this site. No one dislikes these opinions because it's just an opinion.

Another example: Michael Duncan analytics do not tell a good story. See example A, B, C.
If Michael becomes a star, we have never had a data point saying this, so unless this guy breaks the mold, I am going to take the high road.

This might not be great posting but its reasonable.

I could care less what you think of me personally or want to think of me. You are free to have your own opinion. Making you happy or comfortable isn't my goal but I try not to be a **** poster either. I want my post to add value. I wish you could do the same or at least try.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#311 » by Pinkyring » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:32 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Yes you're saying a guy can hit threes when in fact he clearly can't at anywhere near an efficient level
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#312 » by Pinkyring » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:35 pm

King Ken wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
King Ken wrote:I dislike Basketball noobs with a passion. WOAT basketball fans.

I don't dislike anyone for their opinions regardless if it's trash or not. But I hate people who say really stupid **** like it's a fact or without context. Those are the worst fans in the world. This is the NBA draft forum, the one things where there is no really trash opinion due to the fact that this is about projections, expectations and different views.

When a guy comes saying this guy is bad because of some goofy ass stat without any context and then acting like his stupid ass is correct is the Worst freaking fans in the world. Unbearable and truly, they are plain garbage. I rather you just give opinions like everyone else does or else provide reasoning. None of which the WOAT fans tend to do.

This isn't the general board. Please don't come here with your rubbish.

Example: I think Michael Duncan. I do not see him becoming a star or sure why others do. When I watched him, I didn't see a star.

This is a typical opinion on this site. No one dislikes these opinions because it's just an opinion.

Another example: Michael Duncan analytics do not tell a good story. See example A, B, C.
If Michael becomes a star, we have never had a data point saying this, so unless this guy breaks the mold, I am going to take the high road.

This might not be great posting but its reasonable.

I could care less what you think of me personally or want to think of me. You are free to have your own opinion. Making you happy or comfortable isn't my goal but I try not to be a **** poster either. I want my post to add value. I wish you could do the same or at least try.

Regardless to what you think of the stat it's still a form of evaluation, as is he 38/33 shooting splits and his 9 per, all pathetic and shows he's a trash player.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,603

Post#313 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Knicks would take RJ again
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
clyde21
RealGM

Post#314 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:56 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:He shot 33% from 3 that's awful

Yes you're saying a guy can hit threes when in fact he clearly can't at anywhere near an efficient level

you do realize we're talking about rookies right? projection is a huge part of the equation for drafting or re-drafting exercises. GMs will weigh Cam's last 2 months in NBA a lot heavier than his first 2 months

for instance Cam shot 42% at 5 attempts per game from 3 in the last 2 months of the season, also shot 46% from the field and dropped 85% of his FTs.

if GMs want to extrapolate those numbers out on a 6-8 athletic wing who's a legit 3-position defender, then yes, they're gonna take him in the top 10 in a redraft...pretty standard stuff.

also...not sure why you're so mad and offended...you don't think Cam would be top 10 in a redraft? how far do u think he drops instead?
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#315 » by Pinkyring » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

you do realize we're talking about rookies right? projection is a huge part of the equation for drafting or re-drafting exercises. GMs will weigh Cam's last 2 months in NBA a lot heavier than his first 2 months

for instance Cam shot 42% at 5 attempts per game from 3 in the last 2 months of the season, also shot 46% from the field and dropped 85% of his FTs.

if GMs want to extrapolate those numbers out on a 6-8 athletic wing who's a legit 3-position defender, then yes, they're gonna take him in the top 10 in a redraft...pretty standard stuff.

also...not sure why you're so mad and offended...you don't think Cam would be top 10 in a redraft? how far do u think he drops instead?

Not in the top 10, hayes, thybulle, rui have all looked better than him and its cute to single out two months when theres a two full seasons that show he's a poor shooter.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#316 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:33 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Yes you're saying a guy can hit threes when in fact he clearly can't at anywhere near an efficient level

Not in the top 10, hayes, thybulle, rui have all looked better than him and its cute to single out two months when theres a two full seasons that show he's a poor shooter.

It will take 3-4 seasons before anyone knows for sure if Reddish will reach his hyped ceiling which was he rode right into the lottery despite the terrible season at Duke, his ceiling was and remains high based on body type if you beleived in him developing his game working for it...etc I did not and still dont, never liked his poor attacking ability which is a big nono imo when you have those physical gifts and I still dont buy him being a consistent defensive player even though he has shown the ability. He should be able to stay in the league if he has someone else drawing & keeping defenders off him, but I dont think he will ever be a first option or even 2nd option without significant improvement attacking the basket in traffic so there are definitely some others I would have taken ahead of him with higher floors and realistic ceilings instead of pie in the sky dream on level fantasy goals.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM

Post#317 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Yes you're saying a guy can hit threes when in fact he clearly can't at anywhere near an efficient level

couple of those guys are older and wings are just valued more heavily than a C like Hayes

again, how far do you think he drops...specifically. you're the one that thinks it's ludicrous to have him that high.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#318 » by Pinkyring » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:55 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

couple of those guys are older and wings are just valued more heavily than a C like Hayes

again, how far do you think he drops...specifically. you're the one that thinks it's ludicrous to have him that high.

I said it was ludicrous that he moved up following a liss poor season. Probably mid first round
clyde21
RealGM

Post#319 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:59 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Not in the top 10, hayes, thybulle, rui have all looked better than him and its cute to single out two months when theres a two full seasons that show he's a poor shooter.

I said it was ludicrous that he moved up following a liss poor season. Probably mid first round

i don't think you realize just how good he was the last couple months of the season tbh, but ok, that's your opinion.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#320 » by clyde21 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:24 pm

Herro is a legit starting level guard for a PO team already

Return to NBA Draft