ImageImageImage

Sophmores, 2020-21 – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko; (Green, Poirier) 

Post#601 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:02 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:The jury is out on All our kids for another year. Romeo looked terrific at the things he was supposed to suck at: defense, court awareness. He needs to develop the part of his game that was his calling card: creating shots, scoring, finishing at the rim.

Grant will go as far as his shooting takes him. He will never be an all-star but he can be a fine rotation player. Let’s see where he is in a year.

Edwards was the talk of the NBA after summer league and training camp. If he gets comfortable shooting he can be a useful bench guy.

Waters was drafted 51st so anything we get from him is pure gravy. I think he will have an NBA career. Great pick.

Give Poirier and Tacko another year. They were freebies, by the way. Vince gets trashed widely but he deserves another year to develop.

These guys are all relatively cheap.

Agreed on all but Poirier. He’s already like 27 yrs old and has no NBA future. He just simply isn’t an NBA player. There’s a reason he’s never been signed lol he absolutely sucked in summer league a few years back and nobody even gave him a tryout. He’s a lost cause at this point and unfortunately has a guaranteed deal next year. I wonder if they might just stretch his contract to create an extra roster spot for a rookie.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,520

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko; (Green, Poirier) 

Post#602 » by snowman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:10 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:The jury is out on All our kids for another year. Romeo looked terrific at the things he was supposed to suck at: defense, court awareness. He needs to develop the part of his game that was his calling card: creating shots, scoring, finishing at the rim.

Grant will go as far as his shooting takes him. He will never be an all-star but he can be a fine rotation player. Let’s see where he is in a year.

Edwards was the talk of the NBA after summer league and training camp. If he gets comfortable shooting he can be a useful bench guy.

Waters was drafted 51st so anything we get from him is pure gravy. I think he will have an NBA career. Great pick.

Give Poirier and Tacko another year. They were freebies, by the way. Vince gets trashed widely but he deserves another year to develop.

With 3 FRP's, a decision on our two way players and a roster crunch coming, here is my hot takes on the rookies:

I 100 % agree with on Langford. We have to remember he missed all of training camp, and the first part of the season, completely changed his shot mechanics and had to learn a Pro style offence and defense. This next year I believe he is going to show why he was picked 14th, and should have been higher. Definite keeper.

Waters I think will be a really good 3rd point guard, after Wannamaker is gone. Definite keeper.

Grant has had his good games, but I'm afraid he is just to slow and is just a lesser version of Semi. We have a decision to make between Semi and Grant. If Semi gets his option picked up, look for Grant to possibly be moved.

Edwards has had all season to have just 1 regular season game like the preseason game against Detroit. Hasn't happened.
Edwards is on a short rope and will be moved in preseason if not a big jump in hitting shots. Will be replaced by one of our picks.

Poirier and Tacko are a toss up. Tacko is better in the offence and rim protection, Poirier is better in the switch and on P&R's, because he can move laterally. If Fall is signed to a regular contract, look for Poirier to be moved. I really think Poirier needs to be replaced by a draft pick.

Green will be released before his option is picked up. Waters will get his roster spot.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#603 » by Elrod is Back » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:36 pm

Grant is a “lesser version of Semi.” Yikes. Is that possible? I think he is better than that. In fact I think he will win that competition if it comes to pass. He has limitations that will prevent him from being a star, but he will have a career, and a decent one if his 3 point shot develops.

Carsen is a longshot, but unless he is unimpressive behind the scenes, you don’t throw him overboard yet. Eddie House wasn’t built in a day.

The odds are longest on Poirier, and he probably won’t make it. But he came to the game late in life. Plus he could actually have a role on the team: Someone who could give us six well earned fouls when we matchup with the Embiids, Gasol and Lopezes of the world. I’d give him another’s year.

It is unlikely we will find much better in this draft, at least for the short term. And given the cap situation I doubt the Cs will be doing much in free agency beyond maybe one grizzled veteran.

PS— The NBA is filled with role players who were unable to make an NBA roster until their mid 20s or later. And everyone trashed them as hopeless until they did. Daniel Theis in exhibit A on the current Cs.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,857

Post#604 » by 24istheLAW » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:54 pm

Romeo looked terrific at a bunch of little things he wasn't expected to do. But the main thing he was expected to suck at is shooting, and he did in fact suck at it. 5-27 from three which is .185. 0-3 from 16 feet out. 18-25 from the line.

I'm glad he showed some NBA skills out there, but if he can't fix his shot, it isn't going to matter.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#605 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:04 am

Read on Twitter

Add that to Grant whose impact showed up in the box score tonight. Both are already plus defenders and know how to play on a top 5 team in the league.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#606 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:40 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#607 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:05 pm

Small sample but still... Grant FTW!
Read on Twitter
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#608 » by floyd » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:13 pm

[list=]l[/list]
ConstableGeneva wrote:Small sample but still... Grant FTW!
Read on Twitter

Wow. Think he’ll play a lot in the next round(s). No Semi please.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#609 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:28 pm

lmao MPJ, they can barely keep him on the floor unless he's shooting 75%. How is he so bad? He has the literal perfect frame and athleticism to be a DPOY kind of player.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,520

Post#610 » by snowman » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:48 pm

With 3 1st round picks, unless a trade to move up or out of the first round is made, 3 roster spots are going to be needed. I think Poirier, Edwards and Green are gone if that is the case. Wannamaker too, if Waters really show up, but that may have to be a training camp battle, unless Wannamaker leaves for more money. As far as Grant goes, I think he can replace what Semi brings to the team, with better defense. Semi's option needs to be picked up by Oct 1st. (I think hoopshype has that in the salary info on Semi) So we'll see if they pick up his option.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#611 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:53 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:lmao MPJ, they can barely keep him on the floor unless he's shooting 75%. How is he so bad? He has the literal perfect frame and athleticism to be a DPOY kind of player.

because he's a rookie and his coach sucks and has him switching onto quicker guards. It took KD a decade to become a solid defender
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,894

Post#612 » by CelticsPride18 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:59 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:lmao MPJ, they can barely keep him on the floor unless he's shooting 75%. How is he so bad? He has the literal perfect frame and athleticism to be a DPOY kind of player.

because he's a rookie and his coach sucks and has him switching onto quicker guards. It took KD a decade to become a solid defender

He has no defensive instincts and his lateral quickness is poor.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#613 » by themoneyteam2 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:16 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

He has zero defensive awareness because he's never had to play defense a day in his life. He can't guard wings or forwards that's kinda the issue lol. You want to put him on a big so they can bully him in the post as opposed to him getting cooked by wings? Take your pick.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#614 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:44 pm

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#615 » by Parliament10 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:06 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Another great video.
I so Love this team's camaraderie.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#616 » by 31to6 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:07 pm

It's astounding that we are contenders with 7 rookies on the roster.
(and that from all of them we have just one rotation player!)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#617 » by Parliament10 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:12 pm

31to6 wrote:It's astounding that we are contenders with 7 rookies on the roster.

Williams and Langford, I think will continue to improve. I also see Waters & Fall on the 15-Man next season.
Not so sure about Edwards, Green & Poirier.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#618 » by djFan71 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:12 pm

31to6 wrote:It's astounding that we are contenders with 7 rookies on the roster.

(and he played all of 8 min in game 1)
31to6
RealGM

Post#619 » by 31to6 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:06 pm

djFan71 wrote:

(and he played all of 8 min in game 1)

(I thought about typing 'borderline rotation player' but decided I didn't want to get into a "is Grant Williams a rotation player?" argument)
31to6
RealGM

Post#620 » by 31to6 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:09 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

Williams and Langford, I think will continue to improve. I also see Waters & Fall on the 15-Man next season.
Not so sure about Edwards, Green & Poirier.

Agreed, unless Water is replaced by a PG with better size in the draft. That man can and should be playing basketball for a living for the next decade at least though!

I'm a big Tacko believer, hope he gets a guaranteed deal soon after the season ends (with banner 18:).

The fact that Edwards has been the biggest disappointment of the season means we've had a pretty awesome season.
Green has been a good story and I think Poirier can have an NBA career if we works at it.

Still, add all those guys up and it's got to be a record amount of flotsam and jetsam to be 11 wins from a title!

Return to Boston Celtics