Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Re: A Tech Guy with a Jumper - Spencer Dinwiddie Thread 

Post#741 » by ProspectPark » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:00 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Ross specifically just isn't close to good enough to deal Spencer for imho. Way far apart. If you told me it was Evan Fournier I'd like it though.

Dinwiddie = expiring contract

Are you aware players on expiring contracts are not worth their face value?

I’d take a year of Spencer over 3 of Terrence Ross any day of the year from our team’s perspective, or really just in general.

I’d rather take Ross and have the flexibility to use his contract to make trades in the future which will protect us from losing LeVert and Harris.

Ross + Prince = $30 million in salaries we can use in trades in the future.

Plus we’re already stacked at PG. I want to see Dinwiddie get paid and be a starter. He took a discount the last time, but he has a daughter now and just had COVID. Letting him go ensures him and his family are set for the next 10 generations and gives the Nets an valuable asset for the future.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,554

Post#742 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:17 am

7footMONSTER wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
Dinwiddie = expiring contract

Are you aware players on expiring contracts are not worth their face value?

I’d take a year of Spencer over 3 of Terrence Ross any day of the year from our team’s perspective, or really just in general.

I’d rather take Ross and have the flexibility to use his contract to make trades in the future which will protect us from losing LeVert and Harris.

Plus we’re already stacked at PG. I want to see Dinwiddie get paid and be a starter. He took a discount the last time, but he has a daughter now and just had COVID. Letting him go ensures him and his family are set for the next 10 generations and gives the Nets an valuable asset for the future.

Spencer is not staying. He's been politically correct in his comments but I can read the tea leaves. He needs to get his big pay day, and the Nets would be insane to sign him to what he would command on the open market. With the emergence of Caris LeVert, this isn't going to work long term.

The best scenario is to trade Spencer to a team that he would want to go to who would sign him to an extension, so both sides walk away with something. Sean Marks will handle this the right way.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#743 » by ProspectPark » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:27 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I’d take a year of Spencer over 3 of Terrence Ross any day of the year from our team’s perspective, or really just in general.

Spencer is not staying. He's been politically correct in his comments but I can read the tea leaves. He needs to get his big pay day, and the Nets would be insane to sign him to what he would command on the open market. With the emergence of Caris LeVert, this isn't going to work long term.

The best scenario is to trade Spencer to a team that he would want to go to who would sign him to an extension, so both sides walk away with something. Sean Marks will handle this the right way.

Agree. Plus he just saw DLo get a max. LeVert got paid. Harris is about to sign a big contract. He is next.

With LeVert’s injury history and our need for a defensive wing, if we could get T Ross or AG, that would be better than nothing is my opinion.

I don’t want us to be in an elimination game and have to rely on inexperienced G League call ups because one of our core players are injured. Ross and AG are at least legit NBA players who have enough experience to play in big games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#744 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:17 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

Agree. Plus he just saw DLo get a max. LeVert got paid. Harris is about to sign a big contract. He is next.

With LeVert’s injury history and our need for a defensive wing, if we could get T Ross or AG, that would be better than nothing is my opinion.

I don’t want us to be in an elimination game and have to rely on inexperienced G League call ups because one of our core players are injured. Ross and AG are at least legit NBA players who have enough experience to play in big games.

Can I ask a question?

Let me preface this and say with the flurry of activity on the boards I do not remember which camp you lie in, but...

Why are so many posters who pine after Aaron Gordon, or at least have substantial interest in the idea of trading for him, the same people who are so against Harrison Barnes and to a lesser extent, Tobias Harris, yet the latter two are obviously better players than Gordon?

Do the flashy dunks and run and jump athleticism, and, “untapped potential”, tag put the blinders on?

Every stat out there, every scouting report will let you know, not only are Barnes and Harris better players than Gordon, but they are easily the better fit here.

I just don’t get it... :dontknow:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#745 » by ProspectPark » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Can I ask a question?

Let me preface this and say with the flurry of activity on the boards I do not remember which camp you lie in, but...

Why are so many posters who pine after Aaron Gordon, or at least have substantial interest in the idea of trading for him, the same people who are so against Harrison Barnes and to a lesser extent, Tobias Harris, yet the latter two are obviously better players than Gordon?

Do the flashy dunks and run and jump athleticism, and, “untapped potential”, tag put the blinders on?

Every stat out there, every scouting report will let you know, not only are Barnes and Harris better players than Gordon, but they are easily the better fit here.

You have to account for the contract the player is on.

I would rather have AG for 2 years at $17 million per year than Tobias Harris at $35 million per year for 4 years. Tobias is owed $41 million in his last year.

For Barnes, we don’t really have anything expendable that they would want. They already have Fox.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#746 » by MGrand15 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:51 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Can I ask a question?

Outside of money, I think it's agreed on that Aaron Gordon is not playing the right role in Orlando. Part of it is definitely him thinking he's better than he is. A big part of it is Orlando not having enough offensive firepower to let him be a super roleplayer. Lots of people think if you force him to focus strictly on defense + rim running + passing instead of trying to be Paul George - he'd be a lot more valuable. That kind of big wing defender who can guard Simmons, Tatum, Siakam + also play smallball 5 in spurts is something we're really missing.

He has a track record of already being a really good defender + an elite finisher at the rim so it's not all untapped potential.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#747 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:20 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

Can I ask a question?

Outside of money, I think it's agreed on that Aaron Gordon is not playing the right role in Orlando. Part of it is definitely him thinking he's better than he is. A big part of it is Orlando not having enough offensive firepower to let him be a super roleplayer. Lots of people think if you force him to focus strictly on defense + rim running + passing instead of trying to be Paul George - he'd be a lot more valuable. That kind of big wing defender who can guard Simmons, Tatum, Siakam + also play smallball 5 in spurts is something we're really missing.

He has a track record of already being a really good defender + an elite finisher at the rim so it's not all untapped potential.

This is what I figure and to me it's the classic case of a guy with out of this world athleticism fooling people into thinking he can be better than and a different style of player than what he already has been for 6 or 7 years, simply with a change of scenery.

Now that has happened in the past, but 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work like that.

I do like Gordon as a low cost option. Like if you can somehow nab him for Prince, a 1st round pick(even the Sixers pick), Musa and one of Rodi or Claxton, I'd be all for it, assuming other better moves weren't out there. He's an OK player, he has that athleticism we lack, he's shown glimpses of being a serviceable 3 point shooter and has the tools to be a good defender.

That's the one other thing I wanted to touch on, or more so ask of people who have watched more of him than me the last couple years... When did this track record of being a really good defender begin? Is it really true? I'm not even being sarcastic, I'm asking matter of factly, because between watching him literally maybe 5 to 10 times a season max the last few years, reading boards here, Basketball Twitter, reading stuff on the Athletic and seeing some stats, I've never thought of him, nor heard of him from anyone else then Orlando Magic fans and Nets Gordon Stans, called anything other then at best, an average defender. I've heard people say he has the potential to be a really good one in the right circumstances and some of the stats and his length and athleticism certainly point to that being very possible... But I don't know that he's currently anything better than passable on that end, or maybe average.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#748 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:29 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

Can I ask a question?

You have to account for the contract the player is on.

I would rather have AG for 2 years at $17 million per year than Tobias Harris at $35 million per year for 4 years. Tobias is owed $41 million in his last year.

For Barnes, we don’t really have anything expendable that they would want. They already have Fox.

True, Harris' contract is pretty much crippling, even for an over the cap/luxury tax team.

As for Barnes, I could see them simply wanting to pick up some assets for him, something like Prince, Musa, Temple, 1st round pick and maybe one of Rodi or Claxton for him.

Even if it were for Dinwiddie or LeVert, there are plenty of teams who would want either of those guys who have stuff like a prospect, a pick and an expiring and we could make it a three team deal.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#749 » by MGrand15 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:02 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Can I ask a question?

This is what I figure and to me it's the classic case of a guy with out of this world athleticism fooling people into thinking he can be better than and a different style of player than what he already has been for 6 or 7 years, simply with a change of scenery.

Now that has happened in the past, but 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work like that.

I do like Gordon as a low cost option. Like if you can somehow nab him for Prince, a 1st round pick(even the Sixers pick), Musa and one of Rodi or Claxton, I'd be all for it, assuming other better moves weren't out there. He's an OK player, he has that athleticism we lack, he's shown glimpses of being a serviceable 3 point shooter and has the tools to be a good defender.

That's the one other thing I wanted to touch on, or more so ask of people who have watched more of him than me the last couple years... When did this track record of being a really good defender begin? Is it really true? I'm not even being sarcastic, I'm asking matter of factly, because between watching him literally maybe 5 to 10 times a season max the last few years, reading boards here, Basketball Twitter, reading stuff on the Athletic and seeing some stats, I've never thought of him, nor heard of him from anyone else then Orlando Magic fans and Nets Gordon Stans, called anything other then at best, an average defender. I've heard people say he has the potential to be a really good one in the right circumstances and some of the stats and his length and athleticism certainly point to that being very possible... But I don't know that he's currently anything better than passable on that end, or maybe average.

1. Orlando's been a good defense - at times really good - the last couple years while playing Augustine, Fournier, and Vucevic heavy minutes. AG is in charge of guarding the best offensive player night after night. Not gonna dig into stats but I think it's widely accepted that he's a good defender. I don't think he's just an athletic guy that people assume is good. Passable seems way too harsh.

2. A lot of guys never change even with a new team. Def true. I think people are hoping that if he's a 4th/5th option - he'll be straight up banned from taking mid-range shots and fadeaways and the rest of his game will fall into place.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#750 » by ProspectPark » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:52 am

Read on Twitter
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#751 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:08 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I’d take a year of Spencer over 3 of Terrence Ross any day of the year from our team’s perspective, or really just in general.

Signing spencer and trading levert is the correct move.

Dinwiddie is the only reliable, durable player who is capable of being a 1/2 option on this team. Levert is at his apex for trade value but still presents a real risk from an injury standpoint (compounded when Kyrie/Durant have injury questions) and he has still yet to prove he can be effective as a 2nd/3rd option or for a stretch longer than 10-12 games.

Dinwiddie is unlikely to make much more than what levert makes now, and you get to kick that can down the road 1 more year. Unless you need to trade both, or spencer commans more via trade, the move should be to bring him back. If he does go a18+ ppg scorer you can count on for 70+ games needs to come back our way. obviously if he is in a deal for someone like Holiday, its all moot. but you cant deal him for a 3 & D wing and not be realy concerned about our injury risk
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#752 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:44 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

Dinwiddie is the only reliable, durable player who is capable of being a 1/2 option on this team. Levert is at his apex for trade value but still presents a real risk from an injury standpoint (compounded when Kyrie/Durant have injury questions) and he has still yet to prove he can be effective as a 2nd/3rd option or for a stretch longer than 10-12 games.

Dinwiddie is unlikely to make much more than what levert makes now, and you get to kick that can down the road 1 more year. Unless you need to trade both, or spencer commans more via trade, the move should be to bring him back. If he does go a18+ ppg scorer you can count on for 70+ games needs to come back our way. obviously if he is in a deal for someone like Holiday, its all moot. but you cant deal him for a 3 & D wing and not be realy concerned about our injury risk

It's a risk if you think there's the possibility that beyond just the money, Dinwiddie also wants a starting job and/or more recognition by being a top option on a team. He won't get that as long as Kyrie is here.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#753 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:49 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

It's a risk if you think there's the possibility that beyond just the money, Dinwiddie also wants a starting job and/or more recognition by being a top option on a team. He won't get that as long as Kyrie is here.

If thats the case you do what you need to obviously. to me spencer seems more of a money then a fame guy with lots of post NBA plans. I also think he would take 50 cents more and play for a lotto team vs taking 50 cents less to play for a contender. So it could very well end up making more sense to move him.

if we do, i think we need some durable insruance with someone who can score. I think the over-under on combined games play for Kyrie/Levert/KD is probably in the 150-165 range.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#754 » by ProspectPark » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:10 pm

Joe Tsai donated a lot of money towards COVID relief and BLM. He also just made JV the highest paid assistant coach in the league. I’m starting to think the luxury tax isn’t an issue for him. If we make a deep run with Dinwiddie, then there is a possibility that Tsai spends whatever it takes to retain both Dinwiddie and Allen.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#755 » by Paradise » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:01 pm

Dinwiddie also addressed his clear love of tweaking Knicks fans on social media, saying he’s not trolling so much as truth-telling.

“No, so it’s not really shots. Like, I tell the truth: Y’all just don’t like truth and it turns into this whole big [thing]. Hey look, if y’all are bums, y’all are bums,” Dinwiddie said jokingly, before shouting out former Nets teammate Theo Pinson, now on the other side of the East River with the rival Knicks.

“Y’all got my guy Theo Pinson. I know y’all bench is going to be lively and dancing and stuff. It’s gonna be phenomenal to see. Still going to get your heads cracked. It is what it is.”

Well, damn.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#756 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 4:01 pm

Paradise wrote:
Dinwiddie also addressed his clear love of tweaking Knicks fans on social media, saying he’s not trolling so much as truth-telling.

“No, so it’s not really shots. Like, I tell the truth: Y’all just don’t like truth and it turns into this whole big [thing]. Hey look, if y’all are bums, y’all are bums,” Dinwiddie said jokingly, before shouting out former Nets teammate Theo Pinson, now on the other side of the East River with the rival Knicks.

“Y’all got my guy Theo Pinson. I know y’all bench is going to be lively and dancing and stuff. It’s gonna be phenomenal to see. Still going to get your heads cracked. It is what it is.”

Well, damn.

BRUTAL! And, I see no lies.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#757 » by kamaze » Sat Oct 3, 2020 6:26 pm

Paradise wrote:

Well, damn.

Gotta love Spencer lol I'm all for keeping him he's been a steady presence for the team when other players get hurt.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#758 » by GTR11 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 6:21 pm

Bums sound good to me :lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#759 » by kamaze » Sun Oct 4, 2020 7:08 pm

GTR11 wrote:Bums sound good to me :lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

As individuals they're bums as a unit they're buns. :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :lol:
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,554

Post#760 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:13 am

GTR11 wrote:Bums sound good to me :lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Where I'm from, calling a team "buns" means that they're trash. Buns = ass cheeks :lol: Spencer just needs to let it ride.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to Brooklyn Nets