ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the League 2020 Playoffs

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#1 » by therealbig3 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:45 am

If mods wants to sticky this, they can. Figured we could have a thread where we can discuss everyone else in the playoffs, and can put in our thoughts on the different series and who we think will come out of the East.

My predictions:

Round 1:
Bucks-Magic: Bucks
Raptors-Nets: Raptors
Celtics-Sixers: Celtics
Pacers-Heat: Heat

Lakers-Blazers: Lakers
Clippers-Mavs: Clippers
Nuggets-Jazz: Nuggets
Rockets-Thunder: Rockets

What have you guys got?

I think overall, Lakers-Celtics Finals, and I’ve got Lakers in 6 or 7 games. I’m very high on the Celtics, they don’t really have an obvious weakness, and they have multiple guys that can go off scoring-wise, including a legitimately elite go-to scorer in Tatum imo.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Re: Around the League 2020 Playoffs 

Post#2 » by GTR11 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:51 am

I wouldn't sleep on Heat. They could take any EC team out right now. To me Bucks still team to beat for obvious reasons.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:07 am

This is a worthwhile thread for discussion, thanks. Here are my predictions all the way:

Bucks over Magic in 4 (easy money)
Nets over Raptors in 6 (#bubblemania)
Celtics over Sixers in 5 (no Simmons, hobbled Joel)
Heat over Pacers in 7 (very evenly matched)

Blazers over Lakers in 7 (again, #bubblemania, Dame is on a mission)
Clippers over Mavericks in 4 (clutch vs unclutch)
Nuggets over Jazz in 5 (Utah has no shooters right now)
Thunder over Rockets in 6 (poetic justice, Morey is washed)

Celtics over Nets in 4 (we're powerless against their P&R)
Bucks over Heat in 6 (no answer for Giannis)
Blazers over Thunder in 6 (ditto)
Clippers over Nuggets in 7 (2 superstars are better than 1)

Celtics over Bucks in 7 (too many weapons, GA starts free agency plans)
Clippers over Blazers in 5 (heartbreaker, Pat Beverly is a cornball)

Clippers over Celtics in 7 (Doc's and Klaw's ego go thru the roof, LAC become the most annoying champs ever)
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,540

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:00 am

I think that there will be at least two first round upsets but I can't call them. However, I'm focusing on these two series:

Houston/OKC is definitely one to watch because OKC has some size that will be a factor in the playoffs and Houston's small ball will bite them in the ass. Harden will not get the calls he's used to in the regular season. I expect Chris Paul to be out for blood.

Lakers vs Portland is hard to call. The Lakers have played like garbage since they got into the Bubble while Portland has been playing playoff games from day 1. Yet, Portland is not a good defensive team and they basically will have to outgun you to win.

HOWEVER...I think the best player in this series overall is Lillard. He has been dropping the hammer. Add that with Portland's size being able to match up with the Lakers size (and outside of AD, Nurkic/Whiteside vs. McGee/Howard...)...this will be an interesting series.

the East top seeds should hold serve, but Miami vs Indiana could go 7 games if Warren and Oladipo bring their A games. Magic, Nets, and Sixers are outmatched.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#5 » by therealbig3 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:41 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I think that there will be at least two first round upsets but I can't call them. However, I'm focusing on these two series:

Houston/OKC is definitely one to watch because OKC has some size that will be a factor in the playoffs and Houston's small ball will bite them in the ass. Harden will not get the calls he's used to in the regular season. I expect Chris Paul to be out for blood.

Lakers vs Portland is hard to call. The Lakers have played like garbage since they got into the Bubble while Portland has been playing playoff games from day 1. Yet, Portland is not a good defensive team and they basically will have to outgun you to win.

HOWEVER...I think the best player in this series overall is Lillard. He has been dropping the hammer. Add that with Portland's size being able to match up with the Lakers size (and outside of AD, Nurkic/Whiteside vs. McGee/Howard...)...this will be an interesting series.

the East top seeds should hold serve, but Miami vs Indiana could go 7 games if Warren and Oladipo bring their A games. Magic, Nets, and Sixers are outmatched.

You're willing to give Lillard the nod over James at this point as an overall player? I can't go there personally.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#6 » by gigantes » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:56 am

LeBron has an enormous impact as a player, and I fully expect him to ramp things up in the playoffs and drag his team along with him not matter how flawed it might be at this point. We've seen that movie several times before, of course. But they're missing some pretty key people in Howard, Bradley and Rondo IIRC, and probably aren't going to be as good as they were pre-Bubble. In the end I expect they'll get knocked off short of the goal unless AD elevates his play, or key people play above their heads.

The Bucks are going to be pretty interesting because they were kind of 'broken' just before the Bubble, and didn't show they had returned to form. Unless there's a dramatic shift in play, I expect Toronto or the Celts to come out of the East this year, putting Milwaukee in a tight spot this mini-offseason.

I'm not sure I can remember a season in which the complexion shifted so dramatically for the top contenders so late in the year. Altho this has been an incredibly anomalous season, of course. But I like the idea of the inevitable asterisk to come not meaning what people are going to assume... instead meaning that this was one of the most arduous championships, in fact. I think it was Giannis who put that out there a month ago.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#7 » by Papi_swav » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:41 am

Round 1:
Bucks-Magic: Bucks in 4
Raptors-Nets: Raptors in 5
Celtics-Sixers: Celtics in 6
Pacers-Heat: Heat in 6

Lakers-Blazers: Lakers in 5
Clippers-Mavs: Clippers in 6
Nuggets-Jazz: Nuggets in 7
Rockets-Thunder: Rockets in 7

I think it's inevitable that it's going to be a Laker/Clippers WCF. I got Lakers pulling it off in 7 but it will be a dog fight. I got Bucks/Craps in ECF with the Bucks taking it. Bucks/Lakers finals. LeBron gets his last ring as a top player. Then we will have to listen to all the annoying GOAT conversations of him and Jordan.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#8 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:32 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I think that there will be at least two first round upsets but I can't call them. However, I'm focusing on these two series:

You're willing to give Lillard the nod over James at this point as an overall player? I can't go there personally.

I mean, as of right now, can you say that Lebron has been playing better than Lillard? Lillard has been averaging 40pts and 10asts per game in the bubble on 50/46/90. Who else is even coming close to his level of play right now?

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#9 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:44 pm

The Mighty Mos Def as the theme music!
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#10 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Man, Denver has a squad. So many young legit stars, so much depth.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:24 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Man, Denver has a squad. So many young legit stars, so much depth.

Michael Porter Jr. is the real deal

vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#12 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:39 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Man, Denver has a squad. So many young legit stars, so much depth.

Shades of KD for real.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#13 » by Paradise » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:18 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Yo, I kept telling people.

Denver will be the next Golden State real soon since last year. Jokic, MPJ, Bol, Murray, Harris, Craig. They are loaded with homegrown talent.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#14 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:40 pm

Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yo, I kept telling people.

Denver will be the next Golden State real soon since last year. Jokic, MPJ, Bol, Murray, Harris, Craig. They are loaded with homegrown talent.

Yep, if they can stay healthy that is the next top team in the west.

I would love to steal Milsap from them in the meantime.

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#15 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:48 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I would love to steal Milsap from them in the meantime.

Yes, Paul would be a dream MLE signing. Ultimately, I think he'll sign for New Orleans. They need a mentor / replacement starter for Zion, they can pay and he's from Louisiana.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#16 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Donovan Mitchell is a PROBLEM.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#17 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:57 pm

Murray is cooking though!
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#18 » by Papi_swav » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:04 pm

Mitchell with 51 , Utah deserves this win. Hope they can pull it off in OT. I'm switching to YES to watch Nets now
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#19 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:09 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Mitchell with 51 , Utah deserves this win. Hope they can pull it off in OT. I'm switching to YES to watch Nets now

This game is bananas, I set the DVR on the YES and will jump in once this is over and fast forward through commercials til I'm live.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#20 » by Papi_swav » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:56 pm

Embiid is about to dominate the Saltics this series. He's already dogging them in the 1st

Return to Brooklyn Nets