ImageImageImageImageImage

"The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

"The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME. 

Post#1 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:22 pm

I'm starting a new thread. The restart worked for the NBA. I think this is a good idea. We shall see...

FEEL FREE TO AGREE, TRASH, HATE, LOVE but DO comment on anything that follows:
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: Wizards fans Restart Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:26 pm

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/04/02/nba-global-scout-app

Above is just something I came across...Below is something I cherish ATM. While it's still free that is.

https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/scouting-reports/

Over the years, a lot of good things went away in order for others to monetize. Stats Inc and Draft Express come to mind. Then, ESPN started paying dudes who USED TO BE ACCESSIBLE FOR … free. More power to Insiders and writers for the Atlantic and Ken Pomeroy. BEST THING ABOUT COVID is it has leveled the playing field and dudes LIKE ME ARE STILL COOL not getting paid, while lots are suffering for not getting pay.

I do what I can because this is all I've got and I'm not too proud to give it away and I'm comfortable with what I do have. Thank YOU, Alan Lu, and others who still have "free" content out there. Great scouting reports!!!

This draft, the top 10 NCAA players I have in mind are:

James Wiseman https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/james-wiseman-scouting-report/

Onyeke Okongwu https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/onyeka-okongwu-scouting-report/

Jalen Smith https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/jalen-smith-scouting-report/

Paul Reed https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/paul-reed-scouting-report/

Xavier Tillman https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/xavier-tillman-scouting-report/

Udoka Azubuike https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/udoka-azubuike-scouting-report/

Austin Wiley https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/austin-wiley-scouting-report/

Tyler Bey https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/tyler-bey-scouting-report/

Obi Toppin https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/obi-toppin-scouting-report/

Vernon Carey https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/vernon-carey-jr-scouting-report/

(Isaac Okoro is #11 https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/isaac-okoro-scouting-report/)

I am going to affix the scouting reports as soon as I study up on those 10 players

Musings/stream of thoughts. New normal, COVID style, restart thoughts:

What wins games is one dominant transition+paint scoring (who also hits threes) player; PLUS a bunch of pace and space perimeter shooters who are also plus defenders and plus rebounders. The Wizards don't have a superstar, but they've got enough talent to leverage/trade and draft a very competitive roster right away. How? Let's assume at worst, John Wall comes back as an effective, still-above-average NBA starting PG. His court vision will be terrific. He's playing alongside peak Beal. I suspect John will be physically stronger and a better shooter when open. Beal's really good, but a notch below superstar. He's not Kobe Bryant. He's IMO almost Damian Lillard. Not quite, but close. Beal and Wall will have to be the foundation.

How do the Wizards turn it around? EASY!!! Look at the Miami Heat, the Phoenix Suns, and even the Orlando Magic.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#3 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:26 pm

IF YOU WORK FOR THE WIZARDS, you know who Kevin Broom is. He knows me. (So do at least a couple of you).

He's contributing again. This time with Bullets Forever.

Me? I'm out there, just being me. My next post is WHY ... I'm interested again in the draft.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#4 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:35 pm

This was my original post:

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Today, the Orlando Magic just defeated the Milwaukee Bucks in playoff game #1. Why is this significant? Who's playing and who's playing well?

The last few restart games, I noticed a trend. Hella good, undrafted players contributing. Today, one such player who we talked about two years ago:

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The Wizards in the second round (as of 1/3/18) should select Gary Clark of Cincinnati.

https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/gary-clark-scouting-report

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/gary-clark

This guy does have a little Paul Millsap in him. He's really good defensively. He's a very good rebounder. Does the little things well.

(I'm also looking at Bryson Scott, Mike Watkins, Isaiah Wilkins and a lot of other players. So far, I'd rate Clark as a fit for what the Wizards need most. TOUGHNESS. FINISHER AROUND THE HOOP. DEFENDER. PLUS GUY).

About the Magic:
Another three players on Orlando are all reclamation success stories: MARKELLE FULTZ, Terrence Ross, James Ennis. GUESS WHO ELSE is on the Magic and got playing time: KHEM BIRCH. Fultz was a potential bust who had to straighten out confidence and mechanical issues. He has done so! Ross and Ennis are alot like past Wizards players Martell Webster, the last Rasual Butler, and Trevor Ariza. They're solid journeymen who can stretch the floor. Vucevic is good enough in the paint to be consider a star on the order of Beal and Wall.

WITH THE WIZARDS IN MIND, I see the Magic and other teams like the Suns and Miami Heat are showing various ways to reload and be competive right away. The Magic have done really well using solid cast-offs and overlooked players. The Wizards can, too.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#5 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:53 pm

I'd draft Jalen Smith and Paul Reed, even if I had to TRADE DOWN. Those two give what the Wizards lack, defense on the wings and rim protection.

A STUD who's better than either of them and my #1A player for the Wizards to draft: OKONGWU. Just like Bam Adebayo and Pascal Siakim, this dude's got the frame and athleticism and game at either end to become a star.

Wiseman? Too big and too great inside to pass on, particularly for this team. He's #1B.

Count me out on Edwards and Anthony simply because of the $$ Beal and Wall make and their collective cache in DC. They're foundational and I can't see moving either long-time Wizards G for various reasons.

Who's also not right for this team ATM? I don't like Obi Toppin with Hachimura. No defense at all. Plus, Toppin is a couple years older than Jalen Smith; who, I think is without a doubt the most underrated player BESIDES Reed. Do not draft more offense, even if Toppin's fast-twitch, explosive, and unlike any player on the roster. He's a no-go UNLESS you trade Hachimura for the rights to Jalen Smith. HINT, HINT HINT … nah, you're not going to hear that even if it's freaking GENIUS. Rui's a star in the future of the Tobias Harris ilk. Keep him and add defense makes sense but above's even better IMO.

If you REALLY WANT TO CLOWN the rest of the league, then pick up both Tillman and Reed; trade Hachimura, and draft a stud wing player, either T Bey or Isaac Okoro. The trade Hachimura is one with a bunch of caveats. One, Bey or Okoro each are special perimeter defenders. Tillman is a good, tough, big. You have to think of adding both of them (Tillman and Reed, or one with either Okoro or Tyler Bey); and becoming a defensive-oriented team around Wall and Beal if you move Hachimura. Otherwise, BUILD ON RUI who you love for character and scoring efficiency.

Draft three plus defenders who are never going to cost too much. Trade down.

Shoot, I'd be HAPPY with just Jalen Smith with Xavier Tillman. They each can play alongside Hachimura. Reed would be even better but I'm a Maryland Homer.

The Wizards need two-way players.

They need to REMEMBER THE PACE WITH WALL SHOULD BE FASTER. So, who better to add than transition finisher Jalen Smith? Toppin is a stud. But, you draft him and your defense still SUCKS. Where are the minutes going? I think Smith fits seamlessly and so do Reed and Tillman.

LAST THING: If Davis Bertans is resigned, the Wizards have a deadly three point threat. What they'd need is a defender (Smith/Reed/Tillman/T Bey) INSTEAD OF Rui (because his defense is way bad) starting. Hachimura, OTH is a great scorer who with a stretch 5 like JALEN SMITH would be ideal.

This isn't that hard.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#6 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:12 am

SOMETIMES THE BEST PLAYERS are either undrafted or at the very end of round two.

Austin Wiley

Udoka Azubuike

One of them is going to be like Hassan Whiteside, or Kyle O'Quinn. Count on it. Either guy is a fit for the right team. Both would be be good fits for the Wizards.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#7 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:19 am

Seventh and final (ORIGINAL THOUGHTS, today) post:

I feel like life's about finding our purpose. I've seen some ROUGH times in my life. OTOH, I've had some real HIGHS.

That time the Wizards called up Morris Almond... :) I damn near fainted!!! I'll NEVER forget that.

Being on a movie set and having not one, but a couple of people notice me??? (NDA prevents me from telling either) And on even just being on any kind of set no matter how lowly of an extra (Both H50 and MPI)? WOW.

Those were highs. So has been being a regular on this board for ALMOST 20 YEARS

So, today, I'm just letting this go. I realize I'm not as up-to-date or on top of this draft as a lot of you. But, I'm STILL me! :)

Yes, I'm cocky. I gotta be good at SOMETHING. :)

If you guys want a team that'll make the playoffs and peak at playoff time (if there's a season next season), it's doable.

I'm no Dat2U when it comes to the draft (no tiers or tears!); but I will say just prioritize those 11 guys, or add a few more to the list. BPA one through 10. That is all.
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#8 » by doclinkin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:55 am

UM. re-name the thread "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ". ?

I'll post in that :clown:
doclinkin
RealGM

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ". ? 

Post#9 » by doclinkin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:57 am

Ha! The topic is Paul Millsapp: Go!
RealGM

Post#10 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:57 am

I thought about you, doclinkin. Metaphysical posts of times past.

Consider the above Big Cat/Bipolar Bear Ken. :)

Check the name of the thread … THANKS. :nod:
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#11 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:00 am

doclinkin wrote:Ha! The topic is Paul Millsapp: Go!

(EDITED: snipped out some self-aggrandizing, "told you so" comments about Millsap.)

doclinkin, I'm thinking Michael Porter Jr along with your guy Bol Bol are going to be phenomenally good sooner than later. Denver kills it with player evaluation. Monte Morris, another player who looked great statistically and what little I recall watching of him at Iowa State, is also killing it with the Nuggets. Yet another guy not named Tim Frazier or Jason Smith or whatever else EG traded for. I digress... Porter Jr. is on the rise. He should start, I'm guessing more at PF than SF. Millsap? Veteran leader off the bench IMO. Maybe, they use him at PF but then the Nuggets are not athletic to defend with the Joker at C.

EDITED TO ADD: Wondering about the health of two bigs: Jontay Porter and Justin Patton. Those guys and players we've discussed, like Nerlens Noel, are the type of players who can make a huge difference if healthy.
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#12 » by doclinkin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:01 am

FWIW I'd also love a Stix Smith and Xavier Daddy Tillman draft. That'd make me grin right wide.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:29 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Seventh and final (ORIGINAL THOUGHTS, today) post:

I feel like life's about finding our purpose. I've seen some ROUGH times in my life. OTOH, I've had some real HIGHS.

That time the Wizards called up Morris Almond... :) I damn near fainted!!! I'll NEVER forget that.

Being on a movie set and having not one, but a couple of people notice me??? (NDA prevents me from telling either) And on even just being on any kind of set no matter how lowly of an extra (Both H50 and MPI)? WOW.

Those were highs. So has been being a regular on this board for ALMOST 20 YEARS

So, today, I'm just letting this go. I realize I'm not as up-to-date or on top of this draft as a lot of you. But, I'm STILL me! :)

Yes, I'm cocky. I gotta be good at SOMETHING. :)

If you guys want a team that'll make the playoffs and peak at playoff time (if there's a season next season), it's doable.

I'm no Dat2U when it comes to the draft (no tiers or tears!); but I will say just prioritize those 11 guys, or add a few more to the list. BPA one through 10. That is all.

I love it - this is my new go-to thread here to read. And count me in on Okongwu plus Poku, Bane, Riller, and Terry.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME. 

Post#14 » by pcbothwel » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:09 pm

CCJ, I know you love digging up the obscure, but do me a favor and go back and scout Cole Anthony. He was one of my favorites (Im a UNC fan) that really feel down my draft board for a number of reasons (Hurt, Older Freshman, meager advanced stats).
But now im looking back and seeing a few things:

1) UNC really has a terrible offensive system. They play 90's basketball with two bigs and no spacing. They shot 30% from 3 as a team and only had one guy shoot above 32% in Brandon Robinson. There Bigs (Bacot - 0%, Black - 22%, and Pierce - 25%) were awful and provided no outside shooting.

2) Before Cole got injured, UNC started 6-1 and he was averaging 20 / 7 / 3 with two steals (Albeit poor efficiency).

3) Spacial Awareness / Touch / Pace: One thing that pops off the screen with Cole is his ability to understand/utilize space. His 6 Rebounds/36 is only comparable to another High IQ PG, Haliburton. Thats no mistake. You can see on offense how he handles the ball, comes off PnR, gets creative at the rim, uses his floater, uses jabs and step back to right or left... He understands space, sees the floor, and stays incredibly balanced.

I think his issues with passing/shot selection can be improved with the right environment and guidance. Im usually very weary of high profile recruits that are old for their class and under-perform as Freshman, but I have to do my due diligence. Thoughts?
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME. 

Post#15 » by payitforward » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Make my day, Ken!!!! :)

Trade down in R1; pick up Smith, Reed or Bey, & Tillman.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:04 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

(EDITED: snipped out some self-aggrandizing, "told you so" comments about Millsap.)

doclinkin, I'm thinking Michael Porter Jr along with your guy Bol Bol are going to be phenomenally good sooner than later. Denver kills it with player evaluation. Monte Morris, another player who looked great statistically and what little I recall watching of him at Iowa State, is also killing it with the Nuggets. Yet another guy not named Tim Frazier or Jason Smith or whatever else EG traded for. I digress... Porter Jr. is on the rise. He should start, I'm guessing more at PF than SF. Millsap? Veteran leader off the bench IMO. Maybe, they use him at PF but then the Nuggets are not athletic to defend with the Joker at C.

EDITED TO ADD: Wondering about the health of two bigs: Jontay Porter and Justin Patton. Those guys and players we've discussed, like Nerlens Noel, are the type of players who can make a huge difference if healthy.

It'll be interesting how things shake with Denver. Millsap's a free agent after the playoffs. Is he going to go for money, or is he going for a ring? I think he takes less to go for a ring. Is Grant also a free agent? If yes, he'll go for more money.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:07 pm

doclinkin wrote:FWIW I'd also love a Stix Smith and Xavier Daddy Tillman draft. That'd make me grin right wide.

Ooh, that is not attractive - stop mooning us.
RealGM

Post#18 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

It'll be interesting how things shake with Denver. Millsap's a free agent after the playoffs. Is he going to go for money, or is he going for a ring? I think he takes less to go for a ring. Is Grant also a free agent? If yes, he'll go for more money.

Mill sap (thanks a freaking lot autocorrect) is most compelling. As right as I might have been pre draft (IIRC he went 47th and I said he’s lottery good, broke all kinds of rebound records, and was definitely better than Duke’s big, FSUs Alexander, and whichever of Percherov or Vesely) about Millsap...

I also said Morris Almond would be WAY BETTER than Nick Young or IIRC Mario Belinelli. Jon Givony and Joe Teutlin(sp?) TRIED to point out Morris Almond’s weaknesses (athleticism, weak competition at Rice) but I was not impressed with them and their mere mortal (come to find out CORRECT) to my wrong AF opinions.

Almond 6-0, montestewart!!!

Back to Millsap, Wizards....
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#19 » by closg00 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:23 am

CCJ - Thanks for keeping the faith all of these years and providing your great insights into young hoops talent, it's been very valuable. :rock:
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#20 » by payitforward » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:36 am

What's the weather like on Oahu today, CCJ?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards