NBA 2020 Playoffs | R1 G2 | Mavs vs Clippers, Wednesday 9PM ET 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:33 pm

60/21/10
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Re: NBA 2020 Playoffs | R1 G2 | Mavs vs Clippers, Wednesday 9PM ET 

Post#2 » by dirkforpres » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:02 pm

Horrendous reffing in the first game and it’s games like that that are to blame for the steep ratings decline. It all feels so controlled in order to ensure an LA vs LA WCF series.

Doesn’t matter in the long run because I don’t think many of us expected a Mavs win, but i wouldn’t be surprised to see the refs give this game to Dallas though to make up for it
FIRE JASON KIDD
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#3 » by Bob8 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:37 pm

I have seen that some here didn’t like Luka’s game yesterday. Unfortunately it’s much more probable that he will be near his TO number than his fantastic scoring number from yesterday. Mavs can win only if team will have very good 3-pts %.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#4 » by deb » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:05 pm

Bob8 wrote:I have seen that some here didn’t like Luka’s game yesterday. Unfortunately it’s much more probable that he will be near his TO number than his fantastic scoring number from yesterday. Mavs can win only if team will have very good 3-pts %.

Who said we didn't like his game. 11 TOs is really really bad though. It wasn't just that the clips came out strong, he seemed completely lost in the beginning and just kept turning it over at an unacceptable rate. He recovered and had a monster game later, but he dug the mavs a huge hole they needed a lot of energy to climb out of...

How great would it be though, if the mavs had Goran Dragic instead of Delon Wright right now...
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#5 » by Mr B » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:59 am

deb wrote:
Bob8 wrote:I have seen that some here didn’t like Luka’s game yesterday. Unfortunately it’s much more probable that he will be near his TO number than his fantastic scoring number from yesterday. Mavs can win only if team will have very good 3-pts %.

Who said we didn't like his game. 11 TOs is really really bad though. It wasn't just that the clips came out strong, he seemed completely lost in the beginning and just kept turning it over at an unacceptable rate. He recovered and had a monster game later, but he dug the mavs a huge hole they needed a lot of energy to climb out of...

How great would it be though, if the mavs had Goran Dragic instead of Delon Wright right now...

It really wasn’t that huge of a hole to dig out of considering they had erased that horrendous start by mid way through the 1st. They missed that second option in the second half, that’s what done them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#6 » by Heezzi » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:01 am

If we score on even half of those TOs we win the game.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#7 » by Mr B » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:43 am

I don’t know, Luka was able to get to the rim at will against 4 very tough defenders. He can score whenever he wants. I would be shocked if he score under 30 the rest of the games. Obviously they rely on the 3 but if the Clippers can’t figure out a way to stop Luka from getting the paint whenever he wants this is going to be a long series. If KP doesn’t get ejected the Clippers likely doesn’t not win this game in spite of Luka’s 11 turnovers (5 of which he got in the first 2 min of the game).

Bob8
General Manager

Post#8 » by Bob8 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:41 am

deb wrote:

Look. It's completely normal to say 11 TO's was to much. It was. But you have to mention monstrous 42 points with only 21 shots attempted too. He lost some points with TO's but he make it up with incredible shooting efficiency, especially for a playoff game against great defensive team.

I kinda doubt that they would have won, if he had few TO's less. I doubt very much they would have won if he has normal 30 points game with his normal TS% and his normal TO's number. On the other hand I believe they would have great chances with KP playing. It's not only better offensive game with him, it's also better D.

I don't believe Luka can play much better overall at this moment. Others will have to step up, if they want win or 2.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#9 » by Bob8 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:50 am

Heezzi wrote:

If we score on even half of those TOs we win the game.

Like I said your expectations for winning against Clippers looks unrealistic to me. Luka has to have maybe even better offensive game than 42 points with only 21 shots, which is absurd number for his first playoffs game against Clippers. He scored more than half second half points. Has to have only 5 TO's while doing everything with incredible 43% usage. Won't happen in this series.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#10 » by Bob8 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:57 am

Mr B wrote:

I don’t know, Luka was able to get to the rim at will against 4 very tough defenders. He can score whenever he wants. I would be shocked if he score under 30 the rest of the games. Obviously they rely on the 3 but if the Clippers can’t figure out a way to stop Luka from getting the paint whenever he wants this is going to be a long series. If KP doesn’t get ejected the Clippers likely doesn’t not win this game in spite of Luka’s 11 turnovers (5 of which he got in the first 2 min of the game).

Luka's offensive numbers were absurd. 42 points with only 21 attempts, 67 Efg% and 76 TS% is something you cannot do every day against Clippers. If we add monstrous 43% usage, you can be sure this is not sustainable. Others will have to take much bigger burden, if Mavs wants to do something.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#11 » by Darren » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:29 am

From my understanding, Doncic has injury issue. And most of the turnovers are from first quarter. Don't want to discourage fellow Mavs fan. But KP is listed as questionable while Burke is probable with some injury issues. Besides Maxi and DFS, everyone play very well in game 1. The Mavs stay closed because Curry, Hardaway and surprisingly MKG produces. I rarely see the Mavs contend Beverely and Williams the whole game. Indeed, George and Kawhi are not particularly effective. But the frontcourt lose unexpectedly. Harrell, Morris and Zubac gets too many opportunities in game 1. To defend well and have a A+ offensive game, the Mavs can win one. Against the Finals MVP, the rooms for mistake is slim. Unfortunately, the Mavs is playing the most probable champion in the first round. The chance is win a game is still very low. The difference in athleticism, experience and talent are still significantly. Some of the players have to step up into elite categories to give the Mavs a chance. or else, the Mavs has to bet on injury luck favoring the Mavs in a significant way.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#12 » by Bob8 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:52 am

Darren wrote:

From my understanding, Doncic has injury issue. And most of the turnovers are from first quarter. Don't want to discourage fellow Mavs fan. But KP is listed as questionable while Burke is probable with some injury issues. Besides Maxi and DFS, everyone play very well in game 1. The Mavs stay closed because Curry, Hardaway and surprisingly MKG produces. I rarely see the Mavs contend Beverely and Williams the whole game. Indeed, George and Kawhi are not particularly effective. But the frontcourt lose unexpectedly. Harrell, Morris and Zubac gets too many opportunities in game 1. To defend well and have a A+ offensive game, the Mavs can win one. Against the Finals MVP, the rooms for mistake is slim. Unfortunately, the Mavs is playing the most probable champion in the first round. The chance is win a game is still very low. The difference in athleticism, experience and talent are still significantly. Some of the players have to step up into elite categories to give the Mavs a chance. or else, the Mavs has to bet on injury luck favoring the Mavs in a significant way.

Yes, people don’t understand that Mavs played fantastic game before KP was ejected. Who cares about 2:18 start, if Mavs were 14 up in Q2? They really had fantastic chance for the win, but...Mavs need KP desperately, in offense and D. Luka will lower his TO’s, but unfortunately his efficiency will be hit much more. I wouldn’t be surprised, if game 1 will be his best game in the end. I cannot see him having much better game. KP and fantastic 3-points shooting is path to win, they were decent yesterday. (great first half and bad second half means they were near average.)
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#13 » by Darren » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:16 am

To get an overlook for 3, the Mavs just need Boban to set a pick for KP for a wide-open 3. Sadly, the Mavs does not have the luxury in game 1. And Curry is on severe check in key moments. I wonder if KP plays in game 2. Right now, KP is questionable for game 2. While the Mavs is already shorthanded up front, they cannot avoid losing KP at all.
deb
Senior

Post#14 » by deb » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:45 am

Bob8 wrote:
deb wrote:

Look. It's completely normal to say 11 TO's was to much. It was. But you have to mention monstrous 42 points with only 21 shots attempted too. He lost some points with TO's but he make it up with incredible shooting efficiency, especially for a playoff game against great defensive team.

I kinda doubt that they would have won, if he had few TO's less. I doubt very much they would have won if he has normal 30 points game with his normal TS% and his normal TO's number. On the other hand I believe they would have great chances with KP playing. It's not only better offensive game with him, it's also better D.

I don't believe Luka can play much better overall at this moment. Others will have to step up, if they want win or 2.

Sure, but he definitely should keep his assists/turnover ratio above 1 going forward.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#15 » by Bob8 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:25 am

deb wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
deb wrote:

Sure, but he definitely should keep his assists/turnover ratio above 1 going forward.

Sure, if someone else will be able to score a basket or two, if you have to do everything yourself and have 43% usage, TOs are inevitable. Unfortunately nobody except Luka was able to score in last 5 minutes. In second half Luka scored 23 points with great efficiency, all other players together had 18 second half points with very bad efficiency. There you have a reason for a loss. Luka made 4 TOs in second half. Knowing these data, it looks to me that Luka was the only reason they were in the game till the end and not vice versa. I would be very happy, if he can replicate similar game today. It would mean Mavs have a chance for a win with better supporting cast, especially from KP, who unfortunately wasn't in the game almost all second half. I honestly don't believe Luka can have similar game, even if he cut TOs to half, Clippers are just to good defensively. He will score less points with worse efficiency. The hope still remains, if team has great shooting night and/or KP great game.

They really had fantastic chance in game 1. KP's ejection unfortunately ended that dream.
deb
Senior

Post#16 » by deb » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:14 am

Bob8 wrote:
deb wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Sure, if someone else will be able to score a basket or two, if you have to do everything yourself and have 43% usage, TOs are inevitable. Unfortunately nobody except Luka was able to score in last 5 minutes. In second half Luka scored 23 points with great efficiency, all other players together had 18 second half points with very bad efficiency. There you have a reason for a loss. Luka made 4 TOs in second half. Knowing these data, it looks to me that Luka was the only reason they were in the game till the end and not vice versa. I would be very happy, if he can replicate similar game today. It would mean Mavs have a chance for a win with better supporting cast, especially from KP, who unfortunately wasn't in the game almost all second half. I honestly don't believe Luka can have similar game, even if he cut TOs to half, Clippers are just to good defensively. He will score less points with worse efficiency. The hope still remains, if team has great shooting night and/or KP great game.

They really had fantastic chance in game 1. KP's ejection unfortunately ended that dream.

Sometimes you, and I do mean personally you, Bob8, have to learn to accept a fact without making excuses. I agree, Doncic had a good game. But the TOs were bad, really bad. Second worst in the history of the playoffs bad. No need to be Luka's PR agency. Accept the fact he turned the ball over too much. Noone is saying Luka is not one of the best players in the world, nobody is saying what he's doing at a young age isn't exceptional, nobody's even saying he had a bad game. But accept the warranted criticism without deflections and without passive aggression and condescending :wink:s.

You know who is critical of his performance himself?

Read on Twitter
Bob8
General Manager

Post#17 » by Bob8 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:26 am

deb wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
deb wrote:

Sometimes you, and I do mean personally you, Bob8, have to learn to accept a fact without making excuses. I agree, Doncic had a good game. But the TOs were bad, really bad. Second worst in the history of the playoffs bad. No need to be Luka's PR agency. Accept the fact he turned the ball over too much. Noone is saying Luka is not one of the best players in the world, nobody is saying what he's doing at a young age isn't exceptional, nobody's even saying he had a bad game. But accept the warranted criticism without deflections and without passive aggression and condescending :wink:s.

Read on Twitter

Somebody said his TOs are the reason for defeat. Do you know, how many points more is expected on average to be scored from Mavs, if Luka had 6 TO's less? Now do the math what happens, if he had his normal 28 points with 58% TS or knowing Clippers D. even less? You cannot beat Clippers, if all players except Luka made only 18 points and only 2 3s in entire second half. While 11 TOs look bad, they weren't decisive, because majority of them were in first Q, and Mavericks were leading by 14 in Q2. KP's ejection and inability from others to score was crucial on the other hand.
deb
Senior

Post#18 » by deb » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:37 am

Bob8 wrote:
deb wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Somebody said his TOs are the reason for defeat. Do you know, how many points more is expected on average to be scored from Mavs, if Luka had 6 TO's less? Now do the math what happens, if he had his normal 28 points with 58% TS or knowing Clippers D. even less? You cannot beat Clippers, if all players except Luka made only 18 points and only 2 3s in entire second half. While 11 TOs look bad, they weren't decisive, because majority of them were in first Q, and Mavericks were leading by 14 in Q2. KP's ejection and inability from others to score was crucial on the other hand.

Again deflecting and making excuses. Nobody knows what would have happened if he didn't turn the ball over so much, maybe mavs win, maybe they get blown out. What we do know is, he had 11 TOs. Too many.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#19 » by Bob8 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:46 am

deb wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
deb wrote:

Read on Twitter

Again deflecting and making excuses. Nobody knows what would have happened if he didn't turn the ball over so much, maybe mavs win, maybe they get blown out. What we do know is, he had 11 TOs. Too many.

Numbers means nothing without context. Anybody, who has watched the game has seen that 2:18 and many TOs in first few minutes didn't meant much in this game. KP's ejection was crucial for the outcome. But you're, like I, entitled for your opinion of course. My prediction is, Luka will have less TOs and worse game tonight.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,843

Post#20 » by dirkules_41 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:57 pm

Let's go Refs! err Mavs

Return to Dallas Mavericks