PLAYOFFS: Lakers v Blazers game 1 thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Free Rider
Veteran
And1: 1,567

Re: PLAYOFFS: Lakers v Blazers game 1 thread 

Post#161 » by Free Rider » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:39 am

NippySudz wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:Kobe would of went one on one with Lillard. LeBron just doesn't have that, and that's why I'm not a huge LeBron fan.

TBF, at least lebron showed up. Not at the ft line, but he showed up. Your boy AD was no where to be seen for most of the game. He had one good quarter if that.

Kobe called Pau out for not showing up and being soft.

Yea, I'm much less worried about LeBron than I am with the complete and utter lack of shooting from the rest of the team. I'm not convinced that the poor shooting is something that will right itself any time soon. Danny Green is just widely inconsistent and can't seem to make more than one shot in a row in any game. Kuzma is essentially the best long range option for us and he definitely has games where he's MIA. Unless LeBron and AD both completely go off every night this is going to be an uphill series for us. I was worried about this matchup but honestly I'm also worried about what happens even if Lakers do make it past Portland. Our offense is just atrocious at this point. I think the Clips would absolutely destroy us the way we've been playing in the bubble.
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#162 » by lazybatman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:04 am

Lakers coaches might be one of the worse offensive minds in the league!

We need to have like 3-4 basic sets when Lebron's resting / not running the possession, where the role players can kinda settle in with some easy layups or open jumpers and get some rhythm going before they get hit with a Lebron rocket. Anything that reduces that atrocity of an offense where dudes are just aimlessly driving into a bunch of bigs in the middle, or chucking up contested jumpers. I'd rather take trip down to Waiters' island than that garbage. :banghead: :banghead:

Kuz, Green & KCP are reasonably gifted offensive players, who would flourish under a slightly more sophisticated offensive system. Off the cuff I can't think of even one easy shot Kuz took today. Just copy some of these plays that don't need any dribbling ffs.

WHITESIDE THE DIFFERENCE-MAKER - Dame and CJ did what they do, and nobody has an answer to them in this league. Meanwhile, Whiteside just treated Dwight and AD like little boys in the second half after we had 14 ORBs the first half(3 in the second half). Dominant and controlled 8 rb, 5 blk game. Also clogged up the paint big time for Bron and the rest of the drivers(56 pts first half; 37 pts 2nd half). We only converted 3/17 of those ORBs all game, which is another story for another day.

On the other hand Nurk couldn't handle Dwight and Lebron in the post. Still had a good first half, but Scotts realized that and immediately subbed him out for Whiteside again after only playing a minute in the final stretch. Vogel / Kidd are incredibly daft In understanding and making such in game adjustments. It's Something we need to react to and can exploit by shuffling line ups the next game. Perhaps going to small ball lineups and forcing AD to shoot 10-12 3s if they wanna switch Whiteside on him. AD is a 33% 3pt shooter, which still means 12 points on 12 shots, and gets Whiteside out of the post.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#163 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:14 am

Mamba Mentality wrote:35% from the field, 16% from three, and 64% from the stripe. That right there is an automatic L.

Yes I get it we’re not shooting well in the bubble but we aren’t this bad either. I look at this game as more of a mirage more than anything else. Outside of LeBron no one showed up. I’d argue Caruso was our second best player and he didn’t even make a dent in the box score.

Vogel has a lot of adjustments to make most notably figuring out what to do with the guard rotation. KCP has to be on a very short leash, atleast in this series. I’m willing to take a hit on defense if it means we have a much more reliable shooter on the floor who can take advantage of Portland’s mediocre defense.
Cafu
Rookie
And1: 398

Post#164 » by Cafu » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:44 am

Such a frustrating match.
Can’t believe KCP missing that many wide open 3. Oh everyone could not shoot for ****.
I’m disappointed but it is still too early. So I remain hopeful that we could find our form sooner that later.
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#165 » by lazybatman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:32 am

Kilroy wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:Kobe would of went one on one with Lillard. LeBron just doesn't have that, and that's why I'm not a huge LeBron fan.

Moreso than that, A Kobe team would have gotten aggressive when the other team started getting chippy and talking smack... LeBron teams always seem to get like introspective or something.
Dwight and sometimes Caruso are the only guys who seem to take offense and show some fire.

LeBron is so used to just being so superior to the next best player on the court, I think he may think it a sign of weakness to respond or something. But Kawhi and Giannis are already better than him individually, and his gap over the rest of the league is rapidly shrinking.
He needs to get that vet edge guys like MJ and Kobe got as the clock started winding down.

And AD still thinks he's a kid... He needs to get some of that Dwight mentality too... When a dude knocks you down, don't cry to the ref... Go after the whole other team and make them pay. I don't think he realizes yet that he's better than 99% of the NBA right now, and can exert his will if he wanted.

Kobe and MJ were killers... We got a Businessman and a NiceGuy...

Dude, pipe down with your Lebron hate and Kobe/MJ metality comparison BS again. Analyse the game that happened if you want. There are forums about that crap on the General Board. Find those, if that's your thing.

Lebron had the first 20-15-15 triple double in NBA playoff history tonight, and before you start the stat padding argument, be warned about the numbers I'm gonna throw out next about two players, I have much love and appreciation for. That stat line's dumbed down offensive contribution tonight was 57 pts(23+35 assisted) on a night where the rest of the team shot 14% 3FG and 32% FG. Maybe that feels more killer to you.

Lebron's not a 25 year old, who can realistically guard one of the best PGs in the game and distribute and rebound. He did guard the lights out of MVP Rose in 2011, which is definitely a tougher assignment than Mike or Kobe ever took on, but safe to say, it would be a fool's errand to try that now, given his reduced speed and ball handling and distribution responsibilities on this joke of a team.

Dwight picked up 3 dumba** fouls(really 5 dumba** fouls in 15 mins, only one of which came in a shooting situation) in his first 5 minutes in the 2nd qtr, which put us in the penalty way too early and forced Vogel to have to sit him down all of the 3rd quarter. He's been shown the door from his last 3 teams for a reason. Don't confuse Dwight's yelling and chest bumping BS with having a competitive attitude. It's just dumba** theatrics, is what it is. I get why you would miss that during these pandemic ridden times. Maybe catch some shows on HBO.

Kobe, probably spoke less words than Klay's 11 dribbles in his 81 point game. It's the definition of killer mentality, when you become unf*ckwithable and stop caring about the noise.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#166 » by chefy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:42 am

If we play the same way again in game 2 then consider this season over.
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#167 » by lazybatman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:57 am

Read on Twitter
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#168 » by tugs » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:39 am

I know uptempo and 3s offense is LA's bread and butter but during the playoffs, shouldn't be they slowing it down?

Multiple possessions I've seen the PnR initiator to wave off the big to go iso, specific example was with AC going iso and shooting a three against a Portland big when AD had a guard on him SMH

And really can't gamble on a champ like JR to get minutes over an ice cold KCP? Though overall rotation was questionable when Frank went with his closers instead of who had the hot hand, a typical coach's dilemma.

All I know is when you're behind and in need of scoring, you put a hot Kuz there over reputations of KCP or DG.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#169 » by Pythagoras » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:41 am

Yawn. A hot Blazers team caught the Lakers on a cold shooting night. Not sweating this game or the series. Lake show in 5. Real playoffs start next round against a good Houston team...
Numbers rule the universe.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,165

Post#170 » by God Squad » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:46 am

Kobe would have loved and accepted the challenge.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#171 » by Revived » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:50 am

Read on Twitter
bballfan1234
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#172 » by bballfan1234 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:52 am

God Squad wrote:

God would done better than Kobe or Lebron!! Shesssh! They are different players and have their own way trying to win games. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#173 » by NippySudz » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:58 am

God Squad wrote:

At 35?

Come on dude.

Not saying impossible. LeBron has shown it this year but in spurts. Lakers didn't do a bad job defending Lillard for the most part. He hit some bombs. AB is not there to be inside his jersey full court. That's the only thing

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
God Squad
RealGM

Post#174 » by God Squad » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:03 am

NippySudz wrote:
God Squad wrote:

At 35?

Come on dude.

Not saying impossible. LeBron has shown it this year but in spurts. Lakers didn't do a bad job defending Lillard for the most part. He hit some bombs. AB is not there to be inside his jersey full court. That's the only thing

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Well maybe not 35 year old Kobe, But Kobe would have accepted the challenge. Especially once you guys clawed back to tie the game. I think LeBron defers a little too much when he should be imposing his will against this portland team. They have no one at SF that can check him.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#175 » by God Squad » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:06 am

bballfan1234 wrote:
God Squad wrote:

God would done better than Kobe or Lebron!! Shesssh! They are different players and have their own way trying to win games. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I agree that they're different players. Let's be honest Lebron overall is better. But Kobe had that killer in him. LeBron needed to stop deferring to shooters (who missed all of em) and impose his will. Maybe I'm just in awe to see him slowing down. Especially after years of dominance.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#176 » by God Squad » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:10 am

Anyways biggest take away would be terrible three-point shooting and a lack of true guards who can actually play basketball. KCP, Caruso, Waiters, Cook, and Smith ain't gonna cut it and green looks like garbage. You guys need Bradley back in the worst way. Anyways it's one game no need to overreact.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#177 » by Kilroy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:19 am

lazybatman wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Moreso than that, A Kobe team would have gotten aggressive when the other team started getting chippy and talking smack... LeBron teams always seem to get like introspective or something.
Dwight and sometimes Caruso are the only guys who seem to take offense and show some fire.

LeBron is so used to just being so superior to the next best player on the court, I think he may think it a sign of weakness to respond or something. But Kawhi and Giannis are already better than him individually, and his gap over the rest of the league is rapidly shrinking.
He needs to get that vet edge guys like MJ and Kobe got as the clock started winding down.

And AD still thinks he's a kid... He needs to get some of that Dwight mentality too... When a dude knocks you down, don't cry to the ref... Go after the whole other team and make them pay. I don't think he realizes yet that he's better than 99% of the NBA right now, and can exert his will if he wanted.

Kobe and MJ were killers... We got a Businessman and a NiceGuy...

Dude, pipe down with your Lebron hate and Kobe/MJ metality comparison BS again. Analyse the game that happened if you want. There are forums about that crap on the General Board. Find those, if that's your thing.

Lebron had the first 20-15-15 triple double in NBA playoff history tonight, and before you start the stat padding argument, be warned about the numbers I'm gonna throw out next about two players, I have much love and appreciation for. That stat line's dumbed down offensive contribution tonight was 57 pts(23+35 assisted) on a night where the rest of the team shot 14% 3FG and 32% FG. Maybe that feels more killer to you.

Lebron's not a 25 year old, who can realistically guard one of the best PGs in the game and distribute and rebound. He did guard the lights out of MVP Rose in 2011, which is definitely a tougher assignment than Mike or Kobe ever took on, but safe to say, it would be a fool's errand to try that now, given his reduced speed and ball handling and distribution responsibilities on this joke of a team.

Dwight picked up 3 dumba** fouls(really 5 dumba** fouls in 15 mins, only one of which came in a shooting situation) in his first 5 minutes in the 2nd qtr, which put us in the penalty way too early and forced Vogel to have to sit him down all of the 3rd quarter. He's been shown the door from his last 3 teams for a reason. Don't confuse Dwight's yelling and chest bumping BS with having a competitive attitude. It's just dumba** theatrics, is what it is. I get why you would miss that during these pandemic ridden times. Maybe catch some shows on HBO.

Kobe, probably spoke less words than Klay's 11 dribbles in his 81 point game. It's the definition of killer mentality, when you become unf*ckwithable and stop caring about the noise.

There's no arguing with someone who thinks Prime Rose is a tougher assignment than either Kobe or MJ ever took on...

LeBron **** the bed tonight... Came up small in the 4th... Missed key freethrows and inexplicably tried to sink a near half court 3 when we'd just started building some momentum. Not to mention missing some key defensive assignments and being barely able to win a jump ball against freaking CJ Mccallum. He always gets stats, but he routinely has games like this, especially later in his career, where they mean basically nothing.

We have a team that's essentially built around him and cannot succeed without him. So I feel like it's fair to call out when the effort or intensity isn't there. Being the King is good, but it's always the Kings fault when it's bad.

LeBron's focus hasn't really been there all Bubble to be honest. We need him to find it and fast. Hopefully tonight will help.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#178 » by tugs » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:28 am

It's gonna sound like a very poor excuse but you guys think Bron not used to not performing under the pressure of fans and the spotlight? Live that is
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#179 » by Slava » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:00 am

Everything that can go wrong, went wrong and the team needs to figure this **** out fast.

McGee's ass needs to be stapled to the bench and Howard needs to start if AD is not comfortable playing center.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#180 » by slifersd » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:42 am

Can Anthony Davis stop thinking he is Dirk Jr? Nobody on the blazers could match his speed and skills and yet he just settles for those long jumpers that defenders don't even bother contesting. Until he puts his foot down and attack, his shooting percentage won't improve at all. Not to mention he has hardly been steller on defense either.

Green, McGee and KCP need to be benched. These guys simply haven't earned their minute since the restart. Green is at this point an elite 3 and D who can't shoot threes or play D. KCP is in vacation mode already. McGee is...well McGeeing I guess. Coaching staff really should've made these decisions before this game, and now have to think about bringing in the bench guys who can actually contribute to take their places.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers