NBA 2020 Playoffs | R1 G2 | Mavs vs Clippers, Wednesday 9PM ET

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Re: NBA 2020 Playoffs | R1 G2 | Mavs vs Clippers, Wednesday 9PM ET 

Post#61 » by Heezzi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:27 am

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:KP needs to be more assertive on offense to get his points. Paid like a max player, gotta score like a max player.

They need to feed him the ball more. When Luka is out of the game (and sometimes when he’s in the game) the need to feed KP the way Dirk used to get fed. Especially against a team like the Clippers, they have no one that can guard him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would require Luka passing him the ball. 70% of the time, it looks like Luka just drives for his own shot or passes for the corners.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#62 » by fuller4379 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:28 am

Mr B wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:Curry and Burke have been huge today.

I don't understand how Burke keeps getting let go. He has positive impact any time he's been given consistent mins since he landed with the Knicks.

That trade just keeps getting worse and worse for the Knicks.

but, but, but the Knicks were going to get KD and Kyrie with all that cap space. :lol:
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#63 » by arkuo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:29 am

I'd still trade Delon for Josh Richardson if Elton Brand plans to blow it up in Philly. Both can play defense but Richardson adds another 3 pt scoring threat.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#64 » by dirkforpres » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:29 am

Great win. Everyone played fantastic and it was nice to see the bench step up with Luka and/or KP out.

Hopefully they carry it forward. Mavs have outplayed the Clips in this series minus the bogus Porzingis ejection
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#65 » by Mr B » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:42 am

Heezzi wrote:
Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:KP needs to be more assertive on offense to get his points. Paid like a max player, gotta score like a max player.

They need to feed him the ball more. When Luka is out of the game (and sometimes when he’s in the game) the need to feed KP the way Dirk used to get fed. Especially against a team like the Clippers, they have no one that can guard him.

That would require Luka passing him the ball. 70% of the time, it looks like Luka just drives for his own shot or passes for the corners.

If the result is a win then I’m perfectly fine with Luka taking over. He’s a superstar and the Clippers have not proven they can stop him yet. He’s getting deep in the paint and either scoring or driving and kicking anytime he wants. He’s the main reason Beverly and Paul George have been non factors in game 1 and game 2.

My point is that I would love to see a two man game between Luka and KP (similar to Dirk/JET). But when Luka goes out of the game they should be feeding KP. He should touch the ball on every possession even if he doesn’t shoot it.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#66 » by Mr B » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:48 am

fuller4379 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
I don't understand how Burke keeps getting let go. He has positive impact any time he's been given consistent mins since he landed with the Knicks.

That trade just keeps getting worse and worse for the Knicks.

but, but, but the Knicks were going to get KD and Kyrie with all that cap space. :lol:

I never said that. I always thought KD was going to the Nets. No one wants to play for the Knicks right now. And it was a no brainer that you trade DSJ for KP. The trade was already lopsided before THJ and Burke turned out to be players, even though technically he was signed as a free agent. Burke was still part of that trade.

Heezzi
Pro Prospect

Post#67 » by Heezzi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:00 am

Mr B wrote:
Heezzi wrote:
Mr B wrote:They need to feed him the ball more. When Luka is out of the game (and sometimes when he’s in the game) the need to feed KP the way Dirk used to get fed. Especially against a team like the Clippers, they have no one that can guard him.

If the result is a win then I’m perfectly fine with Luka taking over. He’s a superstar and the Clippers have not proven they can stop him yet. He’s getting deep in the paint and either scoring or driving and kicking anytime he wants. He’s the main reason Beverly and Paul George have been non factors in game 1 and game 2.

My point is that I would love to see a two man game between Luka and KP (similar to Dirk/JET). But when Luka goes out of the game they should be feeding KP. He should touch the ball on every possession even if he doesn’t shoot it.

He does this at the expense of getting the team involved. That's why at times KP doesn't get the ball until he plays with the second unit.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#68 » by fuller4379 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:07 am

Mr B wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:
Mr B wrote:That trade just keeps getting worse and worse for the Knicks.

I never said that. I always thought KD was going to the Nets. No one wants to play for the Knicks right now. And it was a no brainer that you trade DSJ for KP. The trade was already lopsided before THJ and Burke turned out to be players, even though technically he was signed as a free agent. Burke was still part of that trade.

I was mocking Knicks fans who thought they were going to get two stars with their cap space and not you. I am laughing with you. Unless one of those first round picks works for them, they got nothing in that trade.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#69 » by Mr B » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:09 am

Heezzi wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Heezzi wrote:That would require Luka passing him the ball. 70% of the time, it looks like Luka just drives for his own shot or passes for the corners.

He does this at the expense of getting the team involved. That's why at times KP doesn't get the ball until he plays with the second unit.

That’s true. That’s where Luka’s game can actually get better.

Heezzi
Pro Prospect

Post#70 » by Heezzi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:14 am

Mr B wrote:
Heezzi wrote:
Mr B wrote:If the result is a win then I’m perfectly fine with Luka taking over. He’s a superstar and the Clippers have not proven they can stop him yet. He’s getting deep in the paint and either scoring or driving and kicking anytime he wants. He’s the main reason Beverly and Paul George have been non factors in game 1 and game 2.

I think him having the ball 50% of the time is a good balance for keeping Luka on the court for longer periods. There are times where only 3 people on the court touch the ball.
Luka, THJ, and either Maxi or DFS. The whole team needs to touch the ball, regardless of who shoots.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#71 » by Mr B » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:15 am

fuller4379 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:

I was mocking Knicks fans who thought they were going to get two stars with their cap space and not you. I am laughing with you. Unless one of those first round picks works for them, they got nothing in that trade.

Hahaha! My bad. You’re absolutely right. All I heard was KP is injury prone and has maxed out his talent. And that the Knicks were going to sign KP and Kyrie.

I’m now wondering how can the Mavs get Kevin Knox?

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#72 » by HMFFL » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 am

Great win tonight.
I will eat some crow since we won a game.
Thankful it was a team effort. Lets win game 3!

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#73 » by Darren » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:27 am

The Mavs has learnt some smart between 2 games. The zone defense and trap defense on Kwahi early. Maxi exactly defend Kwahi pretty hard and try to force Kawhi to another tall defenders. While Rivers figures it out how to solve this, the Mavs early build a comfortable lead behind Curry, KP and Burke. The Mavs learn a lesson to get to the line to sustain a lead. And dunking on people is more effective compared to soft layup attempts by Hardaway in 4 quarters. Getting to the foul line will allow Maxi to get rest and putting better defense on Kawhi. That's what I learn from game action. DFS still can't defend effectively. And Wright is still making dumb decision in playmaking. Hardaway is still playing soft. Missing consecutive layups is unacceptable. Hardaway should dunk and draw fouls instead. Clippers is in foul and stamina trouble by 4th quarters. Some smart is missing from Hardaway. I think the Mavs should have ended up with 20-point win if the team play smart and waste time harder on the offensive end. The Mavs is lucky that George misses a lot of open looks. And Beverely is out. I think it's a little bit lucky for the Mavs this game.

And I think Boban and Curry both deserve more minutes. Clippers frontcourt players are dumb. And get punished blutantly by Boban and Doncic today. I think the Mavs could take more advantage against Harrell and Zubac in pick-n-roll and switch. Boban's pick is pretty valuable to create space to operate. So is Curry at the corner. In case, everything remain the same, I could see Maxi, Curry, Boban and Burke take minutes away from Hardaway, DFS and Wright. Shot selection is not very good at time. Hopefully, the Mavs learn from it. DFS has no business to stick with Kawhi. Maybe DFS should trace Williams instead. Williams look too comfortable without any resistance.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#74 » by Mr B » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:28 am

Heezzi wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Heezzi wrote:He does this at the expense of getting the team involved. That's why at times KP doesn't get the ball until he plays with the second unit.

I think him having the ball 50% of the time is a good balance for keeping Luka on the court for longer periods. There are times where only 3 people on the court touch the ball.
Luka, THJ, and either Maxi or DFS. The whole team needs to touch the ball, regardless of who shoots.

I would have no problem with that. It would actually make Luka more efficient. I would also still like Luka to be a better free throw shooter. There is no reason he shouldn’t be in the high 80% or low 90%. Same goes for KP.

Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#75 » by Darren » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:30 am

I think the Mavs should design a clutch play for KP. 7-3 tall with good shooting and quickness is unmatchable. To buy a bucket, RC should invent an effective way. KP is still under used.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect

Post#76 » by Heezzi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:30 am

Mr B wrote:
Heezzi wrote:
Mr B wrote:That’s true. That’s where Luka’s game can actually get better.

I would have no problem with that. It would actually make Luka more efficient. I would also still like Luka to be a better free throw shooter. There is no reason he shouldn’t be in the high 80% or low 90%. Same goes for KP.

He's been killing his FTs since the bubble. If he stays like this through the season, he's shooting 85%+ from the line.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#77 » by Mr B » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:39 am

Darren wrote:The Mavs has learnt some smart between 2 games. The zone defense and trap defense on Kwahi early. Maxi exactly defend Kwahi pretty hard and try to force Kawhi to another tall defenders. While Rivers figures it out how to solve this, the Mavs early build a comfortable lead behind Curry, KP and Burke. The Mavs learn a lesson to get to the line to sustain a lead. And dunking on people is more effective compared to soft layup attempts by Hardaway in 4 quarters. Getting to the foul line will allow Maxi to get rest and putting better defense on Kawhi. That's what I learn from game action. DFS still can't defend effectively. And Wright is still making dumb decision in playmaking. Hardaway is still playing soft. Missing consecutive layups is unacceptable. Hardaway should dunk and draw fouls instead. Clippers is in foul and stamina trouble by 4th quarters. Some smart is missing from Hardaway. I think the Mavs should have ended up with 20-point win if the team play smart and waste time harder on the offensive end. The Mavs is lucky that George misses a lot of open looks. And Beverely is out. I think it's a little bit lucky for the Mavs this game.

And I think Boban and Curry both deserve more minutes. Clippers frontcourt players are dumb. And get punished blutantly by Boban and Doncic today. I think the Mavs could take more advantage against Harrell and Zubac in pick-n-roll and switch. Boban's pick is pretty valuable to create space to operate. So is Curry at the corner. In case, everything remain the same, I could see Maxi, Curry, Boban and Burke take minutes away from Hardaway, DFS and Wright. Shot selection is not very good at time. Hopefully, the Mavs learn from it. DFS has no business to stick with Kawhi. Maybe DFS should trace Williams instead. Williams look too comfortable without any resistance.

Darren wrote:The Mavs has learnt some smart between 2 games. The zone defense and trap defense on Kwahi early. Maxi exactly defend Kwahi pretty hard and try to force Kawhi to another tall defenders. While Rivers figures it out how to solve this, the Mavs early build a comfortable lead behind Curry, KP and Burke. The Mavs learn a lesson to get to the line to sustain a lead. And dunking on people is more effective compared to soft layup attempts by Hardaway in 4 quarters. Getting to the foul line will allow Maxi to get rest and putting better defense on Kawhi. That's what I learn from game action. DFS still can't defend effectively. And Wright is still making dumb decision in playmaking. Hardaway is still playing soft. Missing consecutive layups is unacceptable. Hardaway should dunk and draw fouls instead. Clippers is in foul and stamina trouble by 4th quarters. Some smart is missing from Hardaway. I think the Mavs should have ended up with 20-point win if the team play smart and waste time harder on the offensive end. The Mavs is lucky that George misses a lot of open looks. And Beverely is out. I think it's a little bit lucky for the Mavs this game.

Boban played great but he wouldn’t be as effective with heavy minutes. Carlisle exploited a matchup problem for the Clippers by putting Boban in every time Montrezl Harrell went in. Great move by Carlisle.

OpiumDose
Sophomore
And1: 228

Post#78 » by OpiumDose » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:47 am

I agree with those who said that KP needs to be more involved on the offense - feed him the ball some more. He had only 13 FGA in this one, that's very low. It worked out this time because role players hit their shots, but is that going to work every time? It won't. THJ should not be taking as many shots as KP. When Luka sits and KP is still on court, he should be getting the ball way, way more than he did in this game.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#79 » by Mr B » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:12 am

OpiumDose wrote:I agree with those who said that KP needs to be more involved on the offense - feed him the ball some more. He had only 13 FGA in this one, that's very low. It worked out this time because role players hit their shots, but is that going to work every time? It won't. THJ should not be taking as many shots as KP. When Luka sits and KP is still on court, he should be getting the ball way, way more than he did in this game.

KP should be at about at least 20 shots per game. There is no reason DFS should be handling the ball and driving towards the defense, give the ball to KP in the paint. Post him up and give him the ball. He can shoot over everyone on the Clippers. Just keep feeding him the ball. Or a nice 2 man game between Luka and KP. With the experience they’re getting now in the playoffs coupled with another training camp together under their belt they will learn how to play together.

agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#80 » by agentofatlas » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:06 pm

Awesome win. They need to jump to an early lead again next game and set the tone on offense.

Return to Dallas Mavericks