ImageImageImageImageImage

Portland series, adjustments for GM 2

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,537

Portland series, adjustments for GM 2 

Post#1 » by stan francisco » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:26 pm

Portland series, please share your game 2 strategies, what you think Vogel and staff should do. PJ always said playoffs are about making adjustments.

Here are a few changes I think are necessary for game 2:

1)

Start Caruso for this series, bench Green. It’s a matchup thing. I’m not a stats digger but I’m sure stats will prove that Lillard did worse when Caruso guarded him, compared to all other Lakers defenders. Lillard is the head of the snake. Also, Danny Green off the bench will help revive his shooting and relegate KCP deeper on the bench. I’d give Caruso strict orders to make sure Lillard has to play physical defense every possession; like post him up and make him run through screens etc.

2)

Start Howard for this series, bench JMG. It’s a matchup thing. Nurkic is very bothered by Howard’s strength and size. I’d give Dwight strict orders to post him up and ask for the ball in an inside out situation where Nurkic has to work on defense.

3)

Hope that McCollum continues his slump until this series is over.

4)

Vogel and Co need to wake up. This is not the regular long term season! In-game adjustments and momentum stopping timeouts are necessary.

As much as I appreciate his analytical approach, that time is over. The purpose of that mindset was to get us to the playoffs. We’re here.

The playoffs are short term. It’s win or die time. We have to win every next possession until we’re through to the next round. That’s got to be the mindset. The coaching staff seemed to feel no urgency at the end of game one. Weird. As if they could analyze the loss later, or if there’s something else that gave them some level of comfort in losing. I hate losing. Why doesn’t our coaching staff? I didn’t see the fire in their eyes, that fully intense focus.

What’s up, Frank? It’s the playoffs. Gut instinct decisions on the fly are needed and what you’re paid for. Long term mindset must be gone. It served its purpose. Immediate ‘win every possession as if your life depended on it’ mindset needs to enter your brain or we might lose this series.

5)

Let’s make sure that we don’t shoot threes as horrifically poorly as we did in game one. Get in the gym, get the aim and your shooting legs dialed in.

My starting lineup for game two and rest of series:

Caruso
LBJ
Kuz
AD
DH

Your adjustments?
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Portland series, adjustments for GM 2 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:54 pm

Start Caruso but for McGee, not Green

Do not play McGee, at all, same with Morris unless foul trouble or need for spacing at C

Keep always one of LeBron/Kuzma on the floor, stay with Davis at Center the whole game, more minutes for Waiters

Caruso-Waiters
KCP-Waiters
Green-Kuzma
James-Kuzma
Davis-Howard/Morris
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Post#4 » by Slava » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:27 pm

I strongly suspect McGee did not train at all during the lockdown owing to being asthmatic and not risking the virus. He needs to sit for his own good.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:40 pm

There is something going on there... Some sort of chemistry thing... I go back to the McGee bubble blogs and how LeBron just didn't seem that engaged... I don't know how he was during the season, but it seemed like he was always out there and participating with his team mates... In the bubble he seemed to be distant. And his comments about off the court issues... I just think there's some sort of chemistry issue going on and I think it's focused around LeBron in some way.
If you watch the sidelines during the bubble, LeBron in particular doesn't seem to be having the same amount of fun as he was before, and guys like AD and McGee seem to be following suit.
Maybe it's 'playoff mode' or something... IDK. But whatever is going on, it needs to end pretty quick or we're going to be down 0-2...

We clearly didn't get top performance Portland in GM1 either... If they come in on fire, and we don't do the same, it'll be ugly.

Props to Kuz though... And Caruso and Dwight... Those guys seem ready for playoff ball... Good for them.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#6 » by slifersd » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:20 pm

Start Caruso, bench Green or KCP. Neither Green nor KCP earned the right for any minute and in all honesty shouldn't play at all if JR or Dion can contribute at all;

Bench McGee for Howard. McGee, even at his best, was not a good post defender and can't really box out bigger centers like Nurk and Whtieside. His current form basically makes him useless so off the bench he goes to shoot his vlog;

Give Rondo all the minutes his body can handle. I know it's unpopular but Rondo is our only other playmaker other than lebron. We already struggle with shooting and need Rondo's ability to set up the offense correctly and give guys their open shots. I might even play Rondo with LBJ at this point so LBJ can focus more on scoring. Spacing would be bad but it's not like it's good right now;

Increase Kuz's minutes at the expense of Green or even AD if he can't get it going. Kuz has been good in the bubble and we are short on guys who are in form right now. We need to utilize the hot hand not bench him because Green has "playoff pedigree". If Davis insists on being Dirk Jr, then he can go sit down too since his **** jumpers were a problem for us on offense;

I would give Dion a few more minutes in this game just to see what he can do. I mean, I hate that we are still experiementing with lineups in the playoffs but well, Vogel didn't do crap during the bubble games so it is what it is at this point. Again, KCP and Green have done nothing in Orlando, so let's not keep banging our heads against the same wall and expect a different result.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#7 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:25 pm

One adjustment- recalibrate that 3 point shooting
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
slifersd
Analyst

Post#8 » by slifersd » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:02 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:One adjustment- recalibrate that 3 point shooting

I don't think they can. The so called shooters on this team haven't been able to hit anything in the bubble and its not going to change over night. We need to attack the rim and attack it hard. Yeah they are a big team who will block a lot of shots, but we have no other way to win right now so we have to get to the rim and get fouled and hopefully actually hit a couple of freethrows this time around.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#9 » by kblo247 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:49 pm

Start Rondo. Make Rondo the primary ball handler and let him go. Then make Lebron the finisher over the initiator of the offense and into a 30 plus point guy who eats their ass up on offense.

Start Kuz and Dwight. Take out Nurkic and CJ by letting those two start versus them and make them work on the other end of the floor for their full time.

Bring Caruso, KCP, Green, Javale/Morris off the bench with one of Bron, AD, or Kuz never leaving the floor
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#10 » by Beethoven » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:02 pm

Just hone in on the fundamentals. No need for any no look passes or fancy plays just run the LeBron pick and rolls , play good defense , make your fts and a couple more 3pters and we should be fine.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#11 » by lazybatman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 pm

stan francisco wrote:Portland series, please share your game 2 strategies, what you think Vogel and staff should do. PJ always said playoffs are about making adjustments.

Here are a few changes I think are necessary for game 2:

1)

Start Caruso for this series, bench Green. It’s a matchup thing. I’m not a stats digger but I’m sure stats will prove that Lillard did worse when Caruso guarded him, compared to all other Lakers defenders. Lillard is the head of the snake. Also, Danny Green off the bench will help revive his shooting and relegate KCP deeper on the bench. I’d give Caruso strict orders to make sure Lillard has to play physical defense every possession; like post him up and make him run through screens etc.

2)

Start Howard for this series, bench JMG. It’s a matchup thing. Nurkic is very bothered by Howard’s strength and size. I’d give Dwight strict orders to post him up and ask for the ball in an inside out situation where Nurkic has to work on defense.

3)

Hope that McCollum continues his slump until this series is over.

4)

Vogel and Co need to wake up. This is not the regular long term season! In-game adjustments and momentum stopping timeouts are necessary.

As much as I appreciate his analytical approach, that time is over. The purpose of that mindset was to get us to the playoffs. We’re here.

The playoffs are short term. It’s win or die time. We have to win every next possession until we’re through to the next round. That’s got to be the mindset. The coaching staff seemed to feel no urgency at the end of game one. Weird. As if they could analyze the loss later, or if there’s something else that gave them some level of comfort in losing. I hate losing. Why doesn’t our coaching staff? I didn’t see the fire in their eyes, that fully intense focus.

What’s up, Frank? It’s the playoffs. Gut instinct decisions on the fly are needed and what you’re paid for. Long term mindset must be gone. It served its purpose. Immediate ‘win every possession as if your life depended on it’ mindset needs to enter your brain or we might lose this series.

5)

Let’s make sure that we don’t shoot threes as horrifically poorly as we did in game one. Get in the gym, get the aim and your shooting legs dialed in.

My starting lineup for game two and rest of series:

Caruso
LBJ
Kuz
AD
DH

Your adjustments?

Love the shout out to Vogel and Co. These guys need to be quicker on their feet making pregame and in-game adjustments.

I'm wary about the Kuz & Caruso starting line up. All for Kuz getting more minutes, but he can't be the primary guard on CJ or Dame. Just a combination of poor defensive footwork and lack of awareness in seeing plays develop and countering. I maybe proved wrong during this playoff run, but it's what I've seen so far.

Starting Howard against Nurk is a great idea, but so is going small ball(AD / Morris / Bron at the 5) as soon as they they bring in Whiteside. Playing DH / McGee against him is just playing into their hands IMO. And AD / Lebron gotta pray on Whiteside. Pull him out to the perimeter> Iso drives > draw double teams and hit open shooters / pop and shoot 3s to render him unplayable. Idc if they both shooting 20% from 3, just do it.. Nurk looked gassed at the beginning of the third yesterday, taking punishment from Dwight, AD and Lebron in the post, before Whiteside took over and erased the Lakers bigs out of there for good. 14 & 3 ORBs in the two halves. AD + Dwight 7 + 2 points in the second half.
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#12 » by lazybatman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:19 pm

slifersd wrote:Start Caruso, bench Green or KCP. Neither Green nor KCP earned the right for any minute and in all honesty shouldn't play at all if JR or Dion can contribute at all;

Bench McGee for Howard. McGee, even at his best, was not a good post defender and can't really box out bigger centers like Nurk and Whtieside. His current form basically makes him useless so off the bench he goes to shoot his vlog;

Give Rondo all the minutes his body can handle. I know it's unpopular but Rondo is our only other playmaker other than lebron. We already struggle with shooting and need Rondo's ability to set up the offense correctly and give guys their open shots. I might even play Rondo with LBJ at this point so LBJ can focus more on scoring. Spacing would be bad but it's not like it's good right now;

Increase Kuz's minutes at the expense of Green or even AD if he can't get it going. Kuz has been good in the bubble and we are short on guys who are in form right now. We need to utilize the hot hand not bench him because Green has "playoff pedigree". If Davis insists on being Dirk Jr, then he can go sit down too since his **** jumpers were a problem for us on offense;

I would give Dion a few more minutes in this game just to see what he can do. I mean, I hate that we are still experiementing with lineups in the playoffs but well, Vogel didn't do crap during the bubble games so it is what it is at this point. Again, KCP and Green have done nothing in Orlando, so let's not keep banging our heads against the same wall and expect a different result.

I like that. Dion is hungry and can be advantageous given the funk our shooters are in.

I'm okay with Green scoring 5-10 every night over 30 mins, cos of his savvy defense. So, essentially, I'd start Caruso+Green against Dame+CJ and perhaps the rest of the playoffs. Let KCP, Dion, JR, Cook, Dud and THT earn their minutes based on whose hot(or less cold :lol: :lol: ) that day.

Also more Morris/AD at Center minutes to torch Whiteside as soon as we see him.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#13 » by Beethoven » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:54 am

Trade Danny green for McCollum
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#14 » by Spanish_Laker » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:12 am

McGee and Green shouldn't play any more minutes. They haven't earned any minutes during this restart. Apart from sending these two guys to the deep bench, we need to make open 3s. It's simple, if we make them, we win, if we miss 80% of the threes, automatic L and series over.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#15 » by chefy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:03 am

Beethoven wrote:Trade Danny green for McCollum

:lol:
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#16 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:59 pm

Intensity. Intense focus on the shot. Intense defense. Intensity in demeanor. All in. Some dudes lookin like they ready to go home. Man up and represent the Nation!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#17 » by yoyoboy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:35 pm

It comes down to making shots.

Read on Twitter

Alos bench McGee.
slifersd
Analyst

Post#18 » by slifersd » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:59 pm

Watching that video, man, Green and KCP are just useless. Spend less time on their hair, and more time practicing in the gym. Those shots are so open, even I can hit a few.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#19 » by Ball so hard » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:14 pm

lazybatman wrote:
slifersd wrote:Start Caruso, bench Green or KCP. Neither Green nor KCP earned the right for any minute and in all honesty shouldn't play at all if JR or Dion can contribute at all;

I like that. Dion is hungry and can be advantageous given the funk our shooters are in.

I'm okay with Green scoring 5-10 every night over 30 mins, cos of his savvy defense. So, essentially, I'd start Caruso+Green against Dame+CJ and perhaps the rest of the playoffs. Let KCP, Dion, JR, Cook, Dud and THT earn their minutes based on whose hot(or less cold :lol: :lol: ) that day.

Also more Morris/AD at Center minutes to torch Whiteside as soon as we see him.

I'm ok with keeping Green in the starting lineup also. It is quite clear that we can't start KCP + Green in the same backcourt. I'm a bit hesitant to put Caruso in the starting lineup due to his inept offense. With regard to who's worse on offense right now, It's probably a toss up between he and KCP. We're not going to stop Dame or CJ; at the very least we should have someone who can have either of those 2 exert some energy on defense. This is one of the reasons why i'm in favor or starting Waiters. Another reason is Waiters' ball handling ability. Neither Danny nor KCP can dribble... both these guys are almost solely spot up shooters on offense.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#20 » by Kilroy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:25 pm

I wouldn't say this all season but I'd be inclined to start Kuz over Green at this point. I don't see anything Green is bringing to the table that Kuz isn't right now. Give him a really short leash if it looks like the smaller/quicker guards start to exploit him, but as long as he's effective on D, let Kuz keep playing.
Basically Kuz and Green are most effective against the same type of player on D right now... They're good at guarding small slow forwards... But Kuz is a little more flexible so far in the bubble.
I'd start Waiters, Caruso, Kuz, AD, McGee... Only because you can't play Dwight all game and McGee is best for his limited minutes to start or after HT...
If Rondo's ready, I'd start him over Waiters, for the same reason as McGee.
I'd have a hair trigger getting Green and Dwight in the game though if Kuz gets exploited, and I feel like Morris is a nice body to throw at Whiteside.

But all things considered, I feel like no matter who we start, it still comes down to how aggressive LeBron is. The rest of the team is going to feed off him if he goes into beast mode... So just unleash it and the rest will fall into place.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers