Oladipo for Jrue Holiday

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Oladipo for Jure Holiday, the best option trade for Pacers?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:39 am

Yes
64%
No
27%
Very soon to know
No votes
Keep Oladipo
9%

Total votes: 11

jofanitres
Ballboy
And1: 0

Oladipo for Jrue Holiday 

Post#1 » by jofanitres » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:39 am

Oladipo (28) wants a max contract but should Pacers take a chance?
He is fundamental, last season without him, the Pacers did not have a squad as balanced as now, making in my opinion not to risk the max contract. So trying to maximize an asset, not letting it out in the FA.
We have another All-Star Sabonis, an experienced J. Lamb, Myles block and 3 Turner, Malcom, TJ Warren and to close Oladipo's exit.

About Jrue Holiday (30), one of the most respected players of the Pelicans, almost 20 ppg, a good PER and essentially has a contract at Oladipo level at this point. And it was a way to put him in the team with his brothers and in a way be able to have one of the 3 and D Justin in the squad for another year, because players with his characteristics are essential for the modern NBA.
The Pelicans, I am not aware of their day-to-day lives, it seems that they need a stir because their NBA bubble was a pure failure.

I think it could be a win-win situation.

What do you think?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Re: Oladipo for Jrue Holiday 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:27 pm

I would absolutely keep Oladipo, all things being equal and value him higher than Jrue.

BUT!

If Oladipo we’re destined to walk no matter what, I would prefer to get back Jrue Holiday of all players on the league in a deal for Oladipo. I would love to have all 3 Holidays, and Jrue is an awesome player that would replicate 80-90% of what Vic does here.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#3 » by Jake0890 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:18 pm

Jrue Holiday is currently playing at a higher level than Victor Oladipo. But I think the answer depends on the context of the situation. If the only alternatives to trading Oladipo are letting him walk for nothing or signing him to a maximum contract, I would probably choose to trade him for Jrue. This team isn't 'Oladipo and co.' since his injury and so I think his contract needs to be aligned with that. Not sure what that contract or dollar figure is though.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#4 » by Topofthekey » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:35 pm

Well, the short answer is no

But ok, sure, let's play along

Say, Vic informs the Pacers to pursue a sign and trade for him

There are three types of trades I would consider

The first, is to simply trade Vic for the best replacement the Pacers can get. Although Jrue is a nice two way player, and there's the bonus achievement of getting all three Holiday brothers on the same team, I would prefer someone like CJ McCollum over Jrue Holiday. He's two years younger, and therefore closer to Domas in age. Alternatively, I would also consider Zach Lavine, or Bradley Beal if the Wizards are willing to listen. The common denominator between the three of them is, they are all very good in scoring while being terrible to below average in defense. And that's fine, because the team sorely needs a boost in offense, much more than defense. Plus there's always Dan Burke for defense

The second approach I would consider is to package Vic together with either Warren or Brogdon, to fetch one star player in return. Maybe something like Vic + Brogdon for Ben Simmons, or Vic + Warren for Klay Thompson, if the 76ers or Warriors decide to shake things up. The added benefit of this type of trade is that it'll open up an opportunity for someone else to step up, be it Aaron, or Sumner, or maybe even Doug. We'll be looking at something like

Myles
Domas
Warren
Aaron/Sumner
Simmons, or

Myles
Domas
Doug
Klay
Brogdon

The spacing in the second lineup in particular should be fantastic

The third and final approach would be to simply move on from Vic and hand the team over to Domas, give Aaron or Sumner a chance in the starting lineup, and trade Vic for a combination of prospects and quality picks. Maybe trade Vic to the Warriors for their 2020 pick and Wolves' 2021 pick, or trade him to the Hawks for their 2020 pick plus some combination of Huerter, Hunter, and Reddish

The idea is that the team is actually still quite young, what with Domas, Myles, Aaron, and Goga all below 25 years old, so the team can be patient and wait for a few years for everyone to develop. It's not like the team would suck in the mean time as well, they have shown that they are already a very good team even without Vic
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Well, the short answer is no

The first, is to simply trade Vic for the best replacement the Pacers can get. Although Jrue is a nice two way player, and there's the bonus achievement of getting all three Holiday brothers on the same team, I would prefer someone like CJ McCollum over Jrue Holiday. He's two years younger, and therefore closer to Domas in age. Alternatively, I would also consider Zach Lavine, or Bradley Beal if the Wizards are willing to listen. The common denominator between the three of them is, they are all very good in scoring while being terrible to below average in defense. And that's fine, because the team sorely needs a boost in offense, much more than defense. Plus there's always Dan Burke for defense

The second approach I would consider is to package Vic together with either Warren or Brogdon, to fetch one star player in return. Maybe something like Vic + Brogdon for Ben Simmons, or Vic + Warren for Klay Thompson, if the 76ers or Warriors decide to shake things up. The added benefit of this type of trade is that it'll open up an opportunity for someone else to step up, be it Aaron, or Sumner, or maybe even Doug. We'll be looking at something like

Myles
Domas
Warren
Aaron/Sumner
Simmons, or

Myles
Domas
Doug
Klay
Brogdon

The third and final approach would be to simply move on from Vic and hand the team over to Domas, give Aaron or Sumner a chance in the starting lineup, and trade Vic for a combination of prospects and quality picks. Maybe trade Vic to the Warriors for their 2020 pick and Wolves' 2021 pick, or trade him to the Hawks for their 2020 pick plus some combination of Huerter, Hunter, and Reddish

The idea is that the team is actually still quite young, what with Domas, Myles, Aaron, and Goga all below 25 years old, so the team can be patient and wait for a few years for everyone to develop. It's not like the team would suck in the mean time as well, they have shown that they are already a very good team even without Vic

Oh, Jrue is just a much better player than McCollum or Lavine.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#6 » by Vorda » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:06 am

Oladipo for Jrue or Beal is a good deal… He isnt old Dipo anymore… now is time for trade
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Topofthekey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:21 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Myles
Domas
Warren
Aaron/Sumner
Simmons, or

Myles
Domas
Doug
Klay
Brogdon

I don't disagree

But McCollum or Lavine might fill a bigger need. The team needs an elite bucket getter
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:13 pm

Vorda wrote:Oladipo for Jrue or Beal is a good deal… He isnt old Dipo anymore… now is time for trade

If you think he’s done, why wouldn’t the GM’s also know and not trade for him?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:15 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Myles
Domas
Warren
Aaron/Sumner
Simmons, or

Myles
Domas
Doug
Klay
Brogdon

I don't disagree

But McCollum or Lavine might fill a bigger need. The team needs an elite bucket getter

Maybe, but guys like Lavine cost you more buckets than they give you.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Post#10 » by boomershadow » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:08 pm

If it is true Oladipo is destined to go to Miami, I am not sure why NO would give anything of value for him. If he isn't, I am not sure why we would trade him.

On the face of it, I wouldn't mind getting Jrue Holiday though. For sure.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Topofthekey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:17 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I don't disagree

Probably. But the team will be fine, maybe. Pacers are pretty solid defensively. When weighing between the drop off in defense due to having CJM/Lavine/Beal/etc and the gains from having an elite scorer, I think it's a nett positive
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:33 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:I don't disagree

Probably. But the team will be fine, maybe. Pacers are pretty solid defensively. When weighing between the drop off in defense due to having CJM/Lavine/Beal/etc and the gains from having an elite scorer, I think it's a nett positive

We could theoretically do a drop in defense overall for an increase in offense, but if Lavine is a net negative, that brings our overall net lower as well.

That means we lose more games.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#13 » by Vorda » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:09 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Vorda wrote:Oladipo for Jrue or Beal is a good deal… He isnt old Dipo anymore… now is time for trade

If you think he’s done, why wouldn’t the GM’s also know and not trade for him?

Maybe he will… we'll see
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#14 » by Moooose » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:02 am

With the way Vic's been playing and the possibility of him not coming back to his all-star form, I'd expect someone with lesser value than Jrue.
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Post#15 » by 8305 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:03 am

If this trade were offered I’d take it. 18 months removed from the injury Vic looks like a shadow of the athlete he was. Doesn’t look like he can jump. Looking like he does now I don’t think he commands a player like Jrue.

Return to Indiana Pacers