Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Re: Prospect Thread: Killian Hayes 

Post#2 » by yosemiteben » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:27 am

Really not interested in Ball so this is my guy.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#3 » by BigSlam » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:34 am

I think this is the guy I could most easily be talked into.

There seems to be something about him that is intriguing to me - and could be a great fit at the 2 spot for us between Tae and Bridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#4 » by wilson115 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:23 am

1. Well, a tall ballhandler who can shoot looks like the most valuable archetype going forward.
2. Picking #3 in a draft with no guaranteed stars. Play it safe. Not as high-ceiling as a Ball brother, but probably higher-floor.
= Killian Hayes
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,517

Post#5 » by LofJ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:34 am

Players whose names start with K or L tend to do really well in the league for some reason.

Kobe Bryant
Larry Bird
Lebron James
Luka Doncic
Kemba Walker
Kyrie Irving
Kevin Durant
Kevin Love
Klay Thompson
Kawhi Leonard
Kris Middleton
Kyle Lowry
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar / Lou Alcindor

Going by this the pick should be Killian Hayes or Lamello Ball (although his brother Lonzo might have killed his L luck).
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,820

Post#6 » by Diop » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:58 am

this guy intrigued me. Has a cool name and is a UNCNYC guy.

I mean if a got a cool hair cut, he would be clear favourite.
bravor
Starter
And1: 736

Post#7 » by bravor » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:26 am

Considering the 'luck' this franchise has with frenchies, i'd rather see him get picked elsewhere. Especially because i like him a lot (much more than Maledon since they are with Cazalon the leaders of this generation).
Detroit would be my favorite for him since he knows Doumbouya pretty well and Sekou is a coach nightmare (behavior wise). Hopefully he could help fix his motivation and commitment while providing the Pistons a good boost on both ends.

Vassell might be a better fit if Edwards it not available and if Kupchak wants a sg that can fit with Graham. Even though i hope the plan is to get one of the bigs (Wiseman or Okongwu) in this case.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,517

Post#8 » by LofJ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:33 pm

bravor wrote:Considering the 'luck' this franchise has with frenchies, i'd rather see him get picked elsewhere. Especially because i like him a lot (much more than Maledon since they are with Cazalon the leaders of this generation).
Detroit would be my favorite for him since he knows Doumbouya pretty well and Sekou is a coach nightmare (behavior wise). Hopefully he could help fix his motivation and commitment while providing the Pistons a good boost on both ends.

Vassell might be a better fit if Edwards it not available and if Kupchak wants a sg that can fit with Graham. Even though i hope the plan is to get one of the bigs (Wiseman or Okongwu) in this case.

If this team loves Hayes but passes on him because of what happened with Diaw and Batum I will be really disappointed because that's ridiculous reasoning. If Wiseman and Edwards aren't available I'd pick Hayes over Ball. The only other player that has a comparable floor to Hayes is Haliburton. And Hayes is a better shooter and passer, I love him.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,232

Post#9 » by amcoolio » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:54 pm

I like Hayes if Wiseman isn't there. We should probably take Edwards over Hayes though. Agree I'd rather have Hayes than Ball
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#10 » by BigSlam » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:26 pm

B B M F 'ers
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#11 » by Braggins » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:11 am

amcoolio wrote:I like Hayes if Wiseman isn't there. We should probably take Edwards over Hayes though. Agree I'd rather have Hayes than Ball

I like Hayes. He and Wiseman are my guys as well. I might honestly take him over Edwards. Read an article that quoted a scout saying Edwards might have the worst BBIQ of any player hes ever seen in contention for the number one pick. I dont want to overreact to one opinion, but the scouting video I watched of his also gave the impression that hes low IQ and he looks like a big time chucker.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#12 » by KingCat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:24 am

Ehh. He feels like this years Alexander-Walker. Pretty good shot creator for at his level. Only an ok athlete. Maybe good for an 8-11 pick. Not sure about 3. Haven't completely ruled him out yet
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#13 » by DY_nasty » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Braggins wrote:
amcoolio wrote:I like Hayes if Wiseman isn't there. We should probably take Edwards over Hayes though. Agree I'd rather have Hayes than Ball

I like Hayes. He and Wiseman are my guys as well. I might honestly take him over Edwards. Read an article that quoted a scout saying Edwards might have the worst BBIQ of any player hes ever seen in contention for the number one pick. I dont want to overreact to one opinion, but the scouting video I watched of his also gave the impression that hes low IQ and he looks like a big time chucker.

French Jerryd Bayless doesn't get you hyped? :lol:
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#14 » by Braggins » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:55 pm

KingCat wrote:Ehh. He feels like this years Alexander-Walker. Pretty good shot creator for at his level. Only an ok athlete. Maybe good for an 8-11 pick. Not sure about 3. Haven't completely ruled him out yet

I see some similarity, but Hayes just seems better. Walkers skills were that of a secondary ball handler at best, whereas Hayes has the passing and ball handling of a lead guard. He is quite good in both of these areas. He also looks faster and seems to have a decent amount better burst than Walker. His frame looks like it will fill out better as well. He probably has more shot making potential as well.

Taking him 3rd may seem like a bit of reach, but the reality is that this draft is just weak at the top and someone who seems like more of a 5-10 pick might end up being the best option at 3. I like this guy better than Ball and Edwards, but would definitely rather have Wiseman. I just don't think Wiseman will be there.
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by wilson115 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:30 am

Clippers-Mavs has been an eye-opener. The Dallas second unit has thrived even when it's typically a big, a wing playing at the 4, and three point guards. It seems having multiple guys you can trust with the clock running out is the way the game's trending. If Mitch went and drafted both Haliburton and Hayes, I'd understand the thinking even if it's obviously redundant. In any case, Mitch apparently has a good eye for point guards so I wouldn't blink if he picked one at #3 regardless of who's left on the board.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,154

Post#16 » by JMAC3 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:13 am

He is really good in the pick and roll, but that’s pretty much all he does. Can make all the passes out of that system, but isn’t a very explosive athlete.

He also turned the ball over in 25% of his pick and roll possessions.

My biggest concern with him though is he has no right hand at all. He is the most left hand dominate player I have ever watched. Struggles going right and can’t finish with his right hand at alllllllll.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#17 » by yosemiteben » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:31 pm

JMAC3 wrote:He also turned the ball over in 25% of his pick and roll possessions.

:o

That's a pretty crazy stat.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#18 » by UNCNYC » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Braggins wrote:

That's what I walked away with as well... Didn't seem to have a feel for the game, and just saw lots of chucking. I also think his athleticism is a bit overrated. I think he will make a good 6th man. I would rather take Karim Mane over Edwards.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by wilson115 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:15 am

Took another look at Hayes, the thing that stood out most the first time is this kid flat-out has moves, and the impression's held up. If a team wanted to pick him solely for his scoring, they could -- one write-up compared him to Devin Booker, another prospect who was only an average athlete but had the skill to score from anywhere on the court entering the league. It just so happens Hayes can easily play lead guard in an NBA offense.

Unfortunately, the flaws are still there, but it seems some are overblown. The turnovers, it turns out he had a stretch where he was slinging passes like he was on the Globetrotters -- including racking up 8 TOs in one game. Then his coaches clamped down and he was down to less than three a game the rest of the season. That at least says he's coachable, and he only turned 19 last month.

Another encouraging sign is the type of turnovers, multiple write-ups praise his solid handles ("ball security"), his TOs mostly come down to attempting crazy passes. What's more troubling is Pearlman asking if there's a depth perception problem, which certainly begs looking into.

Three-point shooting is definitely an area of improvement, but considering he's averaged over 60 and 80 respectively on 2FG% and free throws, there seems to be reason for optimism. Victor Oladipo also shot under 30% in college but has gone on to average over 40 at one point in his NBA career.

The handedness is what has me uncertain, seeing teams have consistently schemed to force him to go to his right hand this early. It didn't keep someone like Brandon Jennings from being a productive NBA player, but it arguably limited him.

https://streamable.com/d351se

https://bballwriters.com/profiles/2020-nba-draft-the-overseas-elite/
https://www.thestepien.com/2020/02/14/killian-hayes-scouting-report-collaboration/
https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2020/5/4/21215018/2020-nba-draft-stop-overthinking-killian-hayes
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#20 » by UNCNYC » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:26 pm

wilson115 wrote:Took another look at Hayes, the thing that stood out most the first time is this kid flat-out has moves, and the impression's held up. If a team wanted to pick him solely for his scoring, they could -- one write-up compared him to Devin Booker, another prospect who was only an average athlete but had the skill to score from anywhere on the court entering the league. It just so happens Hayes can easily play lead guard in an NBA offense.

Unfortunately, the flaws are still there, but it seems some are overblown. The turnovers, it turns out he had a stretch where he was slinging passes like he was on the Globetrotters -- including racking up 8 TOs in one game. Then his coaches clamped down and he was down to less than three a game the rest of the season. That at least says he's coachable, and he only turned 19 last month.

Another encouraging sign is the type of turnovers, multiple write-ups praise his solid handles ("ball security"), his TOs mostly come down to attempting crazy passes. What's more troubling is Pearlman asking if there's a depth perception problem, which certainly begs looking into.

Three-point shooting is definitely an area of improvement, but considering he's averaged over 60 and 80 respectively on 2FG% and free throws, there seems to be reason for optimism. Victor Oladipo also shot under 30% in college but has gone on to average over 40 at one point in his NBA career.

The handedness is what has me uncertain, seeing teams have consistently schemed to force him to go to his right hand this early. It didn't keep someone like Brandon Jennings from being a productive NBA player, but it arguably limited him.

https://streamable.com/d351se

https://bballwriters.com/profiles/2020-nba-draft-the-overseas-elite/
https://www.thestepien.com/2020/02/14/killian-hayes-scouting-report-collaboration/
https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2020/5/4/21215018/2020-nba-draft-stop-overthinking-killian-hayes

On a site years ago I actually said that turnovers can be a good thing and people thought I was nuts lol. What I meant by that is just because a player turns the ball over a little more than they should could mean the player is trying to create an offense rather than be passive and play to avoid a turnover which can be good as well but it's all about the eye test. I am not a stat guy at all. The only stat imo that ever really tells the truth is rebounding. I think Hayes will start out slower than most other rooks and improve over a couple years
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman

Return to Charlotte Hornets