ImageImage

6th pick :evil:

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

myrak433
Sixth Man
And1: 226

6th pick :evil: 

Post#1 » by myrak433 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 am

what could the Hawks get with the 6th pick?
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,337

Re: 6th pick :evil: 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:47 pm

John Hollinger wrote:Atlanta wants to push to make the playoffs and dropped to sixth in the lottery, likely consigning the Hawks to selecting another secondary player in this draft. With a hoard of cap room heading into a blah free-agent market, and an oft-stated mission to return to relevance this season, the Hawks have a clear incentive to put their pick in play. Although if they don’t, they’re in great position to select Florida State’s 3-and-D wizard Devin Vassell.
The Athletic
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#3 » by saloonyk8 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:35 pm

I was very disappointed as usual

We need another TOP 20 player. Need to hit a homerun at 6 or a home run in FA next year. Both options seem not too likely.

Will be hard to get championship roster without a home run at this point
Commit to the process
saloonyk8
Rookie

Post#4 » by saloonyk8 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:11 pm

I'm guessing Halliburton or Hayes at 6
Commit to the process
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#5 » by jayu70 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:12 pm

saloonyk8 wrote:I was very disappointed as usual

We need another TOP 20 player. Need to hit a homerun at 6 or a home run in FA next year. Both options seem not too likely.

Will be hard to get championship roster without a home run at this point

No homeruns in this draft class.
Championship rosters take time to develop. It took LBJ teaming up with 2 allstars to get his 1st.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#6 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:43 pm

An already big star at #5, a #4, 10 and two over-performing #19s is a lot of internal talent. Add another #6 to that. TS has been golden with his drafting. Believe in the plan
saloonyk8
Rookie

Post#7 » by saloonyk8 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:02 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:An already big star at #5, a #4, 10 and two over-performing #19s is a lot of internal talent. Add another #6 to that. TS has been golden with his drafting. Believe in the plan

We have a nice young core don't get me wrong. But there's nothing logical that says Huerter, Hunter or Reddish will ever be top 20 players.

Yes I'm obsessed with that cut off because plenty of teams have nice players and great players, but I want a championship, not to become the Pacers or Blazers or any other team that will NEVER win a title with their core.
Commit to the process
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by myrak433 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:25 pm

saloonyk8 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:An already big star at #5, a #4, 10 and two over-performing #19s is a lot of internal talent. Add another #6 to that. TS has been golden with his drafting. Believe in the plan

We have a nice young core don't get me wrong. But there's nothing logical that says Huerter, Hunter or Reddish will ever be top 20 players.

Yes I'm obsessed with that cut off because plenty of teams have nice players and great players, but I want a championship, not to become the Pacers or Blazers or any other team that will NEVER win a title with their core.

Sign Derozan, Jeff Teague, and Milsap to one and/or two year deals then see what the young hawks can do with some High end backup players. And keep draft pick.
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#9 » by kg01 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:31 pm

myrak433 wrote:
saloonyk8 wrote:

Sign Derozan, Jeff Teague, and Milsap to one and/or two year deals then see what the young hawks can do with some High end backup players. And keep draft pick.

Whaaaa? A myrak post i don't totally disagree with? Am I off my meds? :)

Agree with all the above except Zerozan. He's done but likely to sign for more than we should be offering for the role we'll have for him.
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#10 » by jayu70 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:40 pm

myrak433 wrote:
saloonyk8 wrote:

I wouldn't mind Milsap coming back. Would like a Teague upgrade. DeRozan is instant offense but not much else. On a right FA deal I'm not opposed, just not trading anything good for him.
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by myrak433 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:59 pm

kg01 wrote:
myrak433 wrote:
saloonyk8 wrote:

Just give me until a little closer to the draft, I am sure I will come up with something that you hate. :D

Agree with all the above except Zerozan. He's done but likely to sign for more than we should be offering for the role we'll have for him.

Just give me until a little closer to the draft, I am sure I will come up with something you will hate.

But post lottery I don’t feel with the sixth pick we will be able to trade for a substantial upgrade. So I would rather keep what we have and get players like I mentioned. Derozan could be instant offense off the bench as well as in crunch time when Trae is getting trapped and doubled at half court. Millsap is a skilled vet that plays excellent defense and could mentor Hunter hell Collins too. Teague is someone I believe we can get cheap and he is steady. I would still take Lavine :nod: :nod:

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#12 » by kg01 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:01 pm

myrak433 wrote:
kg01 wrote:
myrak433 wrote:
Just give me until a little closer to the draft, I am sure I will come up with something that you hate. :D

Just give me until a little closer to the draft, I am sure I will come up with something you will hate.

But post lottery I don’t feel with the sixth pick we will be able to trade for a substantial upgrade. So I would rather keep what we have and get players like I mentioned. Derozan could be instant offense off the bench as well as in crunch time when Trae is getting trapped and doubled at half court. Millsap is a skilled vet that plays excellent defense and could mentor Hunter hell Collins too. Teague is someone I believe we can get cheap and he is steady

I don't think Zerozan thinks of himself as a bench player. Certainly not one willing to be benched in favor of two unproven players. That could be another Crabbe/Turner situation aka lockerroom problem.
king01 :king:
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by myrak433 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:06 pm

kg01 wrote:
myrak433 wrote:
kg01 wrote:

But post lottery I don’t feel with the sixth pick we will be able to trade for a substantial upgrade. So I would rather keep what we have and get players like I mentioned. Derozan could be instant offense off the bench as well as in crunch time when Trae is getting trapped and doubled at half court. Millsap is a skilled vet that plays excellent defense and could mentor Hunter hell Collins too. Teague is someone I believe we can get cheap and he is steady

I don't think Zerozan thinks of himself as a bench player. Certainly not one willing to be benched in favor of two unproven players. That could be another Crabbe/Turner situation aka lockerroom problem.

To me it doesn’t matter. Start him have him come off the bench.... either way he would get 30-34 minutes a game. More than likely he would be on the court in crunch time anyway (if we are fighting for a playoff bid). I think he would be ok with that.

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
saloonyk8
Rookie

Post#14 » by saloonyk8 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:49 pm

Given the cap and Covid situation, I think there will be a LOT of players taking one year deals to bide time until the following offseason. Just my guess. I don't think it's unreasonable to get Derozan on a one year deal without much committment. Not sure he would want to be in Atlanta, may prefer contender but who knows.
Commit to the process
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by myrak433 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:23 pm

saloonyk8 wrote:Given the cap and Covid situation, I think there will be a LOT of players taking one year deals to bide time until the following offseason. Just my guess. I don't think it's unreasonable to get Derozan on a one year deal without much committment. Not sure he would want to be in Atlanta, may prefer contender but who knows.

sure he would prefer a contender.... but can a contender offer more for a 1 year deal than we can.... money still is a highly motivational factor.

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#16 » by King Ken » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:27 pm

Draft BPA. The end
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Post#17 » by HMFFL » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:03 pm

I'd like to see us move up, but it's not a must, and I doubt we do. Last year was the first time I had a difficult time predicting the first round or at least the players to go in the first round. So, the mock drafts don't mean much to me, because anyone can slide. More so the injury prone guys.

I hoped for better luck but I'm content with 6th due to the options.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM

Post#18 » by jayu70 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:03 pm

saloonyk8 wrote:Given the cap and Covid situation, I think there will be a LOT of players taking one year deals to bide time until the following offseason. Just my guess. I don't think it's unreasonable to get Derozan on a one year deal without much committment. Not sure he would want to be in Atlanta, may prefer contender but who knows.

I think it's more likely he picks up his $27 mil option.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,337

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:54 pm

My two cents -- I'd like to see us trade back and take a couple of swings on high ceiling players later in the draft.

Seeing top players taken outside the top-10 like Giannis, Gobert, Donovan Mitchell, John Collins, Bam Adebayo, Jokic, Jimmy Butler, Michael Porter Jr., Siakam, Kawhi makes me believe we can get a top player anywhere. We just have to find them and develop them

Any two of Killian Hayes, Patrick Williams and/or ALEKSEJ POKUSEVSKI.

Three very young players with tons of upside. If this is indeed our last foray into the lottery, let's take a swing on a steal.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#20 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:01 am

Well 6 aint bad, because 2020 draft is the same as the 2019 draft.

Last year it was Zion and then 10 guys who were good enough to be #2. Same with 2020, there is Edwards at #1 and 10 guys good enough to go 2nd overall.

I'm a big fan of Jalen Smith and Okongwu, so I would probably look to trade down and get an extra pick, maybe with New York or Washington, or the Kings.

At the end of draft night, if the Hawks end up with Jalen Smith, Wiseman, or Okongwu, I would still be very happy.

I would only be upset if the Hawks make another bone head pick like LaMelo Ball, Killian Hayes, or Isaac Okoro. Like upset on the same level as picking Childress over Deng and Iggy upset.

Return to Atlanta Hawks