ImageImageImage

what pick are the Cavs going to have after the drawing?

Moderator: ijspeelman

which pick we getting?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:23 pm

No votes
40%
No votes
No votes
20%
40%

Total votes: 5

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

what pick are the Cavs going to have after the drawing? 

Post#1 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:23 pm

predict the pick position
MY CRYSTAL BALL says the order will be
SAS
CLE
MEM
GSW
MIN
ATL
DET
NY
CHI
CHA
WAS
PHO
NOP
SAC
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Re: what pick are the Cavs going to have after the drawing? 

Post#2 » by gflem » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:27 pm

No crystal ball, just feel like 1 and 2 will be GS and the Cavs. It's a good story line after 4 straight finals, both teams going 1/2.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#3 » by Revenged25 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:40 pm

1) MEM - Anthony Edwards
2) NYK - LaMelo Ball
3) SAS - James Wiseman
4) MIN - Onyeka Okongwu
5) GSW - Deni Avdija
6) CLE - Isaac Okoro?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:06 am

Revenged25 wrote:1) MEM - Anthony Edwards
2) NYK - LaMelo Ball
3) SAS - James Wiseman
4) MIN - Onyeka Okongwu
5) GSW - Deni Avdija
6) CLE - Isaac Okoro?

Okoro would be tempting but imo Vassell or Hayes are the bpa in that scenario and Vassell the better fit.
Im still not sold Avdija is a top ten pick let alone top 5 ...just wish he was a better shooter than hed make some sense for CLE. It will be interesting what the result is come Oct. He probably will not have any private workouts if hes still overseas, i mean if he came over he might not get back into his home country given the damn rejection Americans are getting around the planet. Virtual combines should be weird.
Anyway
Right now im pretty sure my idea of a good prospect like having sekou and kpj at 5 last draft and altmans ideas are significantly different.
I might even think about Poku at 6th before deni
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#5 » by Revenged25 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:21 pm

Stillwater wrote:
2) NYK - LaMelo Ball
3) SAS - James Wiseman
4) MIN - Onyeka Okongwu
5) GSW - Deni Avdija
6) CLE - Isaac Okoro?

Okoro would be tempting but imo Vassell or Hayes are the bpa in that scenario and Vassell the better fit.
Im still not sold Avdija is a top ten pick let alone top 5 ...just wish he was a better shooter than hed make some sense for CLE. It will be interesting what the result is come Oct. He probably will not have any private workouts if hes still overseas, i mean if he came over he might not get back into his home country given the damn rejection Americans are getting around the planet. Virtual combines should be weird.
Anyway
Right now im pretty sure my idea of a good prospect like having sekou and kpj at 5 last draft and altmans ideas are significantly different.

I think Deni is going to be a better Batum. Someone who does everything a team needs him to do but not a star player and won't carry a team himself. Deni being able to run an offense, play reasonable defense with his BBIQ, rebound, and even score when needed, though not ideal as a primary scorer. I think that actually works well for us since we already have 3 guards that love to shoot, a center that can is good with lobs, and a PF that likes taking catch & shoot 3s. I also love the potential of Poku but I wouldn't take him top before Deni or Wiseman. Though if the top 5 played out like I listed then I would say Poku is as good as any other option at #6. Also Vassell vs Okoro seems to be more about whether you think Vassell can put on the weight to be a legit SF and if Okoro can improve his shot is more likely.
Pistol King
Junior
And1: 457

Post#6 » by Pistol King » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:22 pm

Stillwater wrote:He probably will not have any private workouts if hes still overseas, i mean if he came over he might not get back into his home country given the damn rejection Americans are getting around the planet. Virtual combines should be weird.

He landed yesterday in the US (at the P3 training complex in Atlanta) for a 6 weeks training purpose.

Read on Twitter
/
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:26 pm

Pistol King wrote:
Stillwater wrote:He probably will not have any private workouts if hes still overseas, i mean if he came over he might not get back into his home country given the damn rejection Americans are getting around the planet. Virtual combines should be weird.

He landed yesterday in the US (at the P3 training complex in Atlanta) for a 6 weeks training purpose.

Read on Twitter
/

thanks for that, it will help his stock immensely.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:28 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
2) NYK - LaMelo Ball
3) SAS - James Wiseman
4) MIN - Onyeka Okongwu
5) GSW - Deni Avdija
6) CLE - Isaac Okoro?

Anyway

I think Deni is going to be a better Batum. Someone who does everything a team needs him to do but not a star player and won't carry a team himself. Deni being able to run an offense, play reasonable defense with his BBIQ, rebound, and even score when needed, though not ideal as a primary scorer. I think that actually works well for us since we already have 3 guards that love to shoot, a center that can is good with lobs, and a PF that likes taking catch & shoot 3s. I also love the potential of Poku but I wouldn't take him top before Deni or Wiseman. Though if the top 5 played out like I listed then I would say Poku is as good as any other option at #6. Also Vassell vs Okoro seems to be more about whether you think Vassell can put on the weight to be a legit SF and if Okoro can improve his shot is more likely.
I dont see him running a pro offense at all despite the IQ. I hope I am wrong though if they do love him and go that route.
right now there are just so many needs the biggest ones should be filled by a prospect with not only a high floor but the highest upside of those available.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#9 » by Revenged25 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Okoro would be tempting but imo Vassell or Hayes are the bpa in that scenario and Vassell the better fit.
Anyway

I dont see him running a pro offense at all despite the IQ. I hope I am wrong though if they do love him and go that route.
right now there are just so many needs the biggest ones should be filled by a prospect with not only a high floor but the highest upside of those available.

I mean if it's just highest ceiling the I think that's by far Poku. Who all do you have as fitting the high floor with high upside?
Pistol King
Junior
And1: 457

Post#10 » by Pistol King » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:13 pm

I'd recommend reading this article with some interesting insiders thoughts about the prospects and about the difference between mocks and how the teams view the prospects:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2905180-2020-nba-draft-lottery-buzz-the-mystery-begins-right-at-the-top

-Not surprised to see teams with deep scouting work are high on Deni (or ranking him higher than LaMelo). Always felt he's a sleeper even by people who seem high on him (I don't agree with the claim he doesn't have a star potential, especially with his work ethic and consistent improvement).
-About Puko, Wasserman says some teams hope he falls to their spots and some others think he's only worth a second round pick.

Read on Twitter

I'm pretty hesitant on him. I personally never understood the confident of people having him as a lottery prospect let alone a top 6 pick since he played in a really weak league and even there didn't stand out with some 'can't miss stats'. I wouldn't consider a slow behind the back dribbles against a very low level competition in highlights as some 'high upside' since I have no idea what his floor is. What if he's not even playable the first two years, that is still worth a top 10 pick? how often it happens that someone who is barely playable at his first NBA year turned to be a cornerstone? I just personally feel people really reaching with him. In the other hand, as a mid to late first round I'd take the gamble on him even though I don't see any certainty with him and I'd like to get some degree of certainty in that spot.

-He also mentioned people view Pat Wil higher than mocks and said teams view Jalen Smith as a lottery talent.

- He also mentioned Tyrell Terry has "grown to over 6'3" in sneakers, which could be a big deal for teams questioning his size."

-About Hayes- "There are international scouts with Killian Hayes top five, and college scouts who "don't see it."

An interesting article in general.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I mean if it's just highest ceiling the I think that's by far Poku. Who all do you have as fitting the high floor with high upside?

yeah good question... thats the problem there really are not many high floor options that also have substantial upsides in this one
but Vassell and Okongwu are the highest floor defenders imo that also have offensive chops and high bb iq to become more versatile and impactful as time goes on so their upsides are high.
I mean if Vassell attacked the rim like Okoro or if Okongwu passed like BAM or shot like Love they would both be top 5 locks in any of the last 10 drafts.
But neither have the entire package yet like most sure fire early lottery picks should.
The Wiseman or Edwards type coulkd be considered medium high floors because they can get by without improvement one with elite measureables and rim protection in JW or explosive athleticism paired with a highly impressive handles and decent shooting mechanics in AE, but the sad reality is neither are a high iq prospect so that makes the floor although not bad, nothing worth a top pick.

The biggest concern I have is the orgs overvaluing of the elite passer Ball making him a high floor high impact prospect , but who is not a good shooter at all but always jacks it up anyway and never shows any interest in playing defense never sacrificing himself like he is afraid of contact or something.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Pistol King wrote:I'd recommend reading this article with some interesting insiders thoughts about the prospects and about the difference between mocks and how the teams view the prospects:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2905180-2020-nba-draft-lottery-buzz-the-mystery-begins-right-at-the-top

-Not surprised to see teams with deep scouting work are high on Deni (or ranking him higher than LaMelo). Always felt he's a sleeper even by people who seem high on him (I don't agree with the claim he doesn't have a star potential, especially with his work ethic and consistent improvement).
-About Puko, Wasserman says some teams hope he falls to their spots and some others think he's only worth a second round pick.

Read on Twitter

I'm pretty hesitant on him. I personally never understood the confident of people having him as a lottery prospect let alone a top 6 pick since he played in a really weak league and even there didn't stand out with some 'can't miss stats'. I wouldn't consider a slow behind the back dribbles against a very low level competition in highlights as some 'high upside' since I have no idea what his floor is. What if he's not even playable the first two years, that is still worth a top 10 pick? how often it happens that someone who is barely playable at his first NBA year turned to be a cornerstone? I just personally feel people really reaching with him. In the other hand, as a mid to late first round I'd take the gamble on him even though I don't see any certainty with him and I'd like to get some degree of certainty in that spot.

-He also mentioned people view Pat Wil higher than mocks and said teams view Jalen Smith as a lottery talent.

- He also mentioned Tyrell Terry has "grown to over 6'3" in sneakers, which could be a big deal for teams questioning his size."

-About Hayes- "There are international scouts with Killian Hayes top five, and college scouts who "don't see it."

yeah I dont pay attn to br much at all...
Poku to me is a stash project pick and should go in the late first but could go sooner and brought over right away if somebody sees him playing on the wing.
I do think he could become an NBA player but it would be a long term investment
I wouldnt actually pick him 6th , but I am lower on Avdija than most and dont see him as better prospect other than bbiq
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#13 » by gflem » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:54 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Pistol King wrote:I'd recommend reading this article with some interesting insiders thoughts about the prospects and about the difference between mocks and how the teams view the prospects:

Read on Twitter

yeah I dont pay attn to br much at all...
Poku to me is a stash project pick and should go in the late first but could go sooner and brought over right away if somebody sees him playing on the wing.
I do think he could become an NBA player but it would be a long term investment
I wouldnt actually pick him 6th , but I am lower on Avdija than most and dont see him as better prospect other than bbiq

Interesting article, I like to get different perspectives on prospects. As for Poku, he seems like the kind of player the Spurs wind up with. I could see them buying a late first and taking him, and turning him into "Dirk lite" or something along those lines.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,126

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:05 am

Well, that sucked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#15 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:48 am

fd again...
I have Edwards to MINN
GSW will pick WIseman or Ball regardless of if they keep or trade the pick
CHA will take whomever GSW doesnt take of JW or Ball
CHI will take Okoro or Okongwu unless they really love Hayes or Anthony
so...
my top to bottom non lead guard board
Okongwu
Vassell
Okoro
and sleeper there is Oturu
and maybe somebody like Avdija or Toppin if they trade down with NY or somthing although highly doubtful unless NY gives up a future 1st.
If they go true BPA though lead guards with size and defensive potential like;
Halliburton and Hayes are definitely in the mix for us.
On the bright side we wont have to deal with Lamelo or Klutch
I was really hoping for a top 3 pick to have a lock to get 1 of Wiseman or Okongwu now just gotta hope 1 slides
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#16 » by Revenged25 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:56 am

I think picking 5th puts the Cavs even more likely to draft Avdija honestly.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#17 » by JonFromVA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:17 am

On the brightside maybe someone falls to us at 5 and we can imagine we got good value rather than overdrafting some kid and being disappointed when he doesn't play like a top pick.

Like Wiseman at 5? I doubt too many would be unhappy with that or if we end up with Deni because the Cavs fell in love with him ... at least we wouldn't have wasted the #2 pick...
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#18 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:26 pm

5 was a fall. But I take solace in not having the #2 pick.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,126

Post#19 » by jbk1234 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:59 pm

I just hope that whoever the like, they keep it to themselves, or better yet, lie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#20 » by JonFromVA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:54 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I just hope that whoever the like, they keep it to themselves, or better yet, lie.

Are you implying the Hawks traded up to #4 last year to steal Hunter from us?

We'd been sending out smokescreens that we were going to draft a PG in theory to encourage one of the teams that needed a PG to trade up with us, and as it turned out - we did take a PG and we didn't trade him.

It shouldn't be that hard to find 5 players in the draft we'd want on the team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers