ImageImageImage

Are there any positives about Brett Brown as our Head Coach?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,006

Re: Are there any positives about Brett Brown as our Head Coach? 

Post#41 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:26 pm

Nice, it took 3 years for Brett to convince Ben about playing PF, now maybe it takes him another 3 years to convince him that he needs to shoot lmao
Horrible takes since 2016
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,631

Post#42 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:44 am

The thing is, you guys don't need a coach who's just competent at deciding and teaching Xs and Os -- you need one who's exceptional. Embiid is a unique player; schemes need to be very different with him on and off the floor. Ditto Simmons (indeed, perhaps even more so). You basically need 3-4 different systems at each end of the floor, all executed with reasonable competence, and some executed a lot better than that.

Brown, to put it mildly, is not that guy.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,122

Post#43 » by Arsenal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:31 am

Who cares about Brett Brown? Just a distraction for the fans, since he's already GONE.

Why aren't people calling out the incompetent front office and ownership with the same venom and fury?
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#44 » by Simmons25 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:33 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:The thing is, you guys don't need a coach who's just competent at deciding and teaching Xs and Os -- you need one who's exceptional. Embiid is a unique player; schemes need to be very different with him on and off the floor. Ditto Simmons (indeed, perhaps even more so). You basically need 3-4 different systems at each end of the floor, all executed with reasonable competence, and some executed a lot better than that.

Bretts gone but its not all his own fault. You can't put schemes in for talent that is not there. Both Embiid and Simmons need to be surrounded by outside shooters in the same way Giannis is... and there is virtually no above average to elite outside shooting on this team. It's just a horribly put together team and for that Elton Brand needs to go as well.

Elton traded like more like a fantasy GM where you try and get the best players for the amount of points you have... instead of the best players for the fit.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#45 » by rzzzzz » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:55 am

Arsenal wrote:Who cares about Brett Brown? Just a distraction for the fans, since he's already GONE.

Why aren't people calling out the incompetent front office and ownership with the same venom and fury?

hard to fire Harris. his one insightful move was hiring Hinkie, but everything his fingerprints have been on since then have been bad Karma. i care about giving a good coach a crack at the guys we're invested in. at least a year too late, but we still got to find out what Biid and Ben can be capable of under anybody else.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#46 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:32 am

Simmons25 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:The thing is, you guys don't need a coach who's just competent at deciding and teaching Xs and Os -- you need one who's exceptional. Embiid is a unique player; schemes need to be very different with him on and off the floor. Ditto Simmons (indeed, perhaps even more so). You basically need 3-4 different systems at each end of the floor, all executed with reasonable competence, and some executed a lot better than that.

Bretts gone but its not all his own fault. You can't put schemes in for talent that is not there. Both Embiid and Simmons need to be surrounded by outside shooters in the same way Giannis is... and there is virtually no above average to elite outside shooting on this team. It's just a horribly put together team and for that Elton Brand needs to go as well.

Elton traded like more like a fantasy GM where you try and get the best players for the amount of points you have... instead of the best players for the fit.

Any chance these guys would shoot better in a better scheme? Harris, Horford, and Richardson all have lower 3pt%s than on their previous teams. At least Alec Burks is an exception to that rule. ;)
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#47 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:34 am

rzzzzz wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Who cares about Brett Brown? Just a distraction for the fans, since he's already GONE.

hard to fire Harris. his one insightful move was hiring Hinkie, but everything his fingerprints have been on since then have been bad Karma. i care about giving a good coach a crack at the guys we're invested in. at least a year too late, but we still got to find out what Biid and Ben can be capable of under anybody else.

I know it's been a while, and he's a business side guy anyway, but how good, bad or irrelevant was Adam Aron? I ask because I have a minor personal connection to the guy.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#48 » by Simmons25 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:28 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

Any chance these guys would shoot better in a better scheme? Harris, Horford, and Richardson all have lower 3pt%s than on their previous teams. At least Alec Burks is an exception to that rule. ;)

The fact all these players are playing below what they were at their other teams... tells me how badly put together the team is more than anything else.

Anyway I can't wait for this team to be blown up... I said it a few weeks into the season that this was going to be the least enjoyable season I can remember in a while because it was like watching a car crash knowing it is about to happen... but taking months for it to happen. This way this team was constructed was never going to even make a conference final never mind win a ring.
BB_Fan
Junior
And1: 52

Post#49 » by BB_Fan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:59 am

The team is a misfit and pieces are not complimentary. Most of the coaches figure out the rotation before the regular system .
Brown is still figuring out his starters in the playoff.

As a coach Brown has reached his ceiling. In western conference he might make the team reach playoffs.

Elton Brand was taken to cleaners in the Harris Trade.
NYSixersFan
Veteran
And1: 1,535

Post#50 » by NYSixersFan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:28 pm

Is this a trick question?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,122

Post#51 » by Arsenal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:40 pm

He knows he's gone. He totally deserves to get FLUSHED for his part in the disastrous series of moves that have put this team into the gutter, for his coddling of Ben Simmons, and for running Jimmy Butler out of town. Those are far worse sins than being a mediocre coach.

Good riddance.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#52 » by sixers hoops » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:33 am

Not much we can do about the owner, but if Brand and the same horrible front office are back, we are screwed either way.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,536

Post#53 » by SixthStreet » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:45 am

Brand only got the job because he was willing to be the PR shield for the owners meddling. Everyone knew from day 1 he didn't have the credentials for the job. I operate on the assumption that he has no real authority and the equity partners are playing fantasy basketball with the roster and Brand's role is just giving high fives at all their ideas in the boardroom while wearing a Franklin costume.

I still view Brett as mostly a victim to roster construction. But his coddling of Simmons is reason enough to terminate him at this juncture. If he had pushed Simmons out of his comfort zone beginning with his redshirt season we could have overcame the disastrous series of personnel moves ownership has driven the last two years or known that we needed to prioritize a primary ballhandler and shotcreator before today.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#54 » by rzzzzz » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:08 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:I know it's been a while, and he's a business side guy anyway, but how good, bad or irrelevant was Adam Aron? I ask because I have a minor personal connection to the guy.

idk, but i'll always remember that tweet at Collins after the team turned a 5 point lead into a one point loss.

"That was the worst last minute of 76ers basketball I’ve seen in ages. Mind-numbingly bad."
— Adam Aron (@SixersCEOAdam) March 22, 2013
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#55 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:33 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:I know it's been a while, and he's a business side guy anyway, but how good, bad or irrelevant was Adam Aron? I ask because I have a minor personal connection to the guy.

idk, but i'll always remember that tweet at Collins after the team turned a 5 point lead into a one point loss.

"That was the worst last minute of 76ers basketball I’ve seen in ages. Mind-numbingly bad."
— Adam Aron (@SixersCEOAdam) March 22, 2013

I tried to check out his account, and it's suspended from Twitter. :) And that's not a matter of misspelling. Perhaps it got abandoned and then got hacked, and nobody cared about recovering it?

https://twitter.com/SixersCEOAdam
RealAlex01
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#56 » by RealAlex01 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Thank You!

A voice of reason
Save Our 76ers...Oust Josh Harris and his entire regime!

Return to Philadelphia 76ers