Image ImageImage Image

It's early, but Already Time to show COBY WHITE some Appreciation in Chicago

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

It's early, but Already Time to show COBY WHITE some Appreciation in Chicago 

Post#1 » by Chi » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:41 pm

It's really starting to become a little irritating seeing some Bull's fans perception of Coby White.
You know who I'm talking to, the "He's not a good playmaker" group... WHAT?? :o

WHO CARES?! - This is not the John Stockton 90's PGs...

EXPLOSIVENESS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Playmaking

It's not even CLOSE... Not even debatable...
... ...

Do you think Portland is upset that Damian Lillard isn't the "Playmaker" that Rajon Rondo is? (Don't answer that) You know why they don't care. Because Damian Lillard is EXPLOSIVE Offense. Steph Curry the same.

Coby is Explosive on Offense! (Speed, Size, Dribbling Penetration AND Shooting - not many on the planet have the combination that he has - Maybe even, None)

Go ahead, use the weak argument "Oh he's an idiot he compared Coby to Dame Lillard"...

Don't worry I can take it down notches... No one cares if Kemba Walker isn't the playmaker Ricky Rubio is... No one cares that Nate Robinson isn't the playmaker Arcidiancoono is :noway: ... Who do you want Jamal Murray or Jalen Brunson???

My point is, No one cares about Lonzo Ball or Ricky Rubio or Rajon Rondo or Jalen Brunson... But Ppl sure like to overhype their skillsets.
This is 2020... Playmaking is not anywhere near the conversation of the impact "Explosiveness" has on winning in this league.

Chicago - You have an EXPLOSIVE PG... And you need to learn to Appreciate him...
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Re: It's early, but Already Time to show Coby some Appreciation in Chicago 

Post#2 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:01 pm

Love the guy but No
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#3 » by ATRAIN53 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:11 pm

Chi wrote:This is 2020... Playmaking is not anywhere near the conversation of the impact "Explosiveness" has on winning in this league.

Chicago - You have an EXPLOSIVE PG... And you need to learn to Appreciate him...

Totally agree, Preach on man -

I LOVE this kid. Have since I saw him running past everyone at UNC and looking like a wild gazelle.
Never thought he'd end up here.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#4 » by drosereturn » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:16 pm

I like Coby but he is far from the core. In a team that doesnt have a number1,2 everyone is a trade option.
AKs not going to develop a Lou Will type for his fans when he wants to win #7. If he gets traded blame the team and the owner not his antics.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Chi
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Chi » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:20 pm

Showtime23 wrote:I like Coby but he is far from the core. In a team that doesnt have a number1,2 everyone is a trade option.
AKs not going to develop a Lou Will type for his fans when he wants to win #7.

Far from the core?

What does that even mean?

Do you have to be Jordan or Lebron or Kareem to be part of "the core"?

Players like Coby fit on ANY core...
Size, Speed, Aggressiveness, Competitiveness etc.

The Lakers could use him (A lot) right now. The Clippers... Mavs... Blazers...

There's not a single team in the playoffs who wouldn't want a guy like him to be a part of their "Core"...
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#6 » by wonderboy2 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:24 pm

Showtime23 wrote:I like Coby but he is far from the core. In a team that doesnt have a number1,2 everyone is a trade option.
AKs not going to develop a Lou Will type for his fans when he wants to win #7.

Funny thing is he doesn’t play Like Lou Williams at all though. He doesn’t play like Ben Gordon at all. It’s like this board has archetypes for players. Good scoring guard “6th man”, Pass first low mistake, won’t shot point guard has to be the “starting point guard”. That’s not how it works. Coby is already better defensively than Lou Williams and Ben Gordon combined. He also better than Lou Will was at that age. Ben Gordon and Lou Williams are unstoppable bucket getters. Coby game is already alittle more well rounded. Honestly some of the passes he threw last season was some of the most impressive passes I’ve seen from any bull all season. He’s also bigger than both Gordon and Lou Williams. If he gets to Lou Williams level of scoring than look out because he would be Allstar level. He just have to keep developing and working on his game. He’s already probably the second or third most talented player on the team and he’s only 20.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,640

Re: It's early, but Already Time to show COBY WHITE some Appreciation in Chicago 

Post#7 » by sco » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:55 pm

I think Coby improved over the course of the season. Is he great - well I learned my lesson about springtime player improvements...they can be an illusion.

I am no Kingpin fan, but I will give JB some credit for not starting Coby all season. I think that coaches need to motivate rookies to do the right things. Coby was playing plenty of "developmental" minutes before that, anyway.

Do I think we need a playmaking PG (vs. a scoring PG)? No. In fact the league is trending toward having a F be the distributor or even having that role distributed.
:clap:
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Re: It's early, but Already Time to show COBY WHITE some Appreciation in Chicago 

Post#8 » by CBS7 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:03 pm

Man, his 26/4/4 9 game stretch to end the season just seems like ancient history. A lifetime ago. I almost forgot it happened, but he was the only reason to watch Bulls games before the season got postponed.

You compare him to Dame but even he averaged 6.5 assists a game his rookie season. It is too early to say what kind of player Coby will become. Maybe he can become a better playmaker, but that just wasn't his role last season. Can't even judge him. He gets an incomplete grade on that, not a failing grade.

He could be a nice piece, but its hard to get super excited about him or anyone on this roster because "could be a nice piece" is what describes the entire team.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#9 » by MrFortune3 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:25 pm

Coby and Zach get way too much hatred on this board. Coby barely played starters minutes early on and he was in the role as a microwave scorer off the bench. Once he moved to the starting lineup he showed a lot of progress as a player.
He was never going to instantly come in and be a stud playmaker.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#10 » by MrFortune3 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:31 pm

CBS7 wrote:Man, his 26/4/4 9 game stretch to end the season just seems like ancient history. A lifetime ago. I almost forgot it happened, but he was the only reason to watch Bulls games before the season got postponed.

You compare him to Dame but even he averaged 6.5 assists a game his rookie season. It is too early to say what kind of player Coby will become. Maybe he can become a better playmaker, but that just wasn't his role last season. Can't even judge him. He gets an incomplete grade on that, not a failing grade.

He could be a nice piece, but its hard to get super excited about him or anyone on this roster because "could be a nice piece" is what describes the entire team.

I don't think he was comparing him to Dame. He mentioned several guys as a reference point of not being top tier player makers and being more of a scoring PG.
In college Dame was not much of a play maker from an assists standpoint, he was the man on his team and relied on heavily to score.
Coby's role in college was similar as was his role last season early on, just score.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,098

Post#11 » by Hugi Mancura » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:39 pm

OP's player comparisons are weird. He did brings up Brunson, but leaves out Luka who is best play maker in Dallas and slow and Trae Young and Harden are neither very athletic. They are just smart. OP is comparing second tier play makers to top athletic guards. And even then he loses. Rondo is a champion, Lillard ain't, so does really being athletic guard mean you are winning player?

Last champions have been on top of assist per game as a team or they have had Lebron / Kawhi on their team. Lebron sure is athletic player, but he is also one of the best play makers in NBA. And Kawhi is not explosive. He is just smart. So to win the near history has proven you need play making more that athletism. But what you really need is smart players. Is Coby smart player? Well, time will tell.

To be a winner. Is not about athletism, or play making, or shooting. It is about making right decisions at the right moment.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,529

Post#12 » by Andi Obst » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:56 pm

I wanted to respond to the OP but don't even know where to start. There's just so much crazy stuff going on there at the same time.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Chi
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Chi » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:14 pm

Hugi Mancura wrote:OP's player comparisons are weird. He did brings up Brunson, but leaves out Luka who is best play maker in Dallas and slow and Trae Young and Harden are neither very athletic. They are just smart. OP is comparing second tier play makers to top athletic guards. And even then he loses. Rondo is a champion, Lillard ain't, so does really being athletic guard mean you are winning player?

Last champions have been on top of assist per game as a team or they have had Lebron / Kawhi on their team. Lebron sure is athletic player, but he is also one of the best play makers in NBA. And Kawhi is not explosive. He is just smart. So to win the near history has proven you need play making more that athletism. But what you really need is smart players. Is Coby smart player? Well, time will tell.

To be a winner. Is not about athletism, or play making, or shooting. It is about making right decisions at the right moment.

There are no perfect comparisons, especially when comparing players with contrasting skill sets.

But the point was to show, with real life players that we all have seen, how much more Valuable scoring PG's are than the "Distributors" that people think they want this team to have.

I tried not to compare superstars like Dame and Curry, so the goal was to bring it down a notch. Perhaps I could compare Nate Robinson to Satoransky instead.

These are just to be used as real life examples, instead of blindly comparing skill sets.

I understand that people want guys who can both score and distribute at a high level, but waiting around to get Doncic, Bron, Harden etc. is not the thing to do in my opinion.

Thinking that Coby isn't capable of ever avg 5 or 6apg is irresponsible to me. But not as irresponsible as it is to think that he has to do that in order to win.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,640

Post#14 » by sco » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:53 pm

I don't think Coby is going to be an allstar or even be gifted the starting job next season, but he should definitely be given the chance to compete for it.

I think that Coby is a guy who puts in the work to get better...not just the "prescribed work" by the Bulls, but the extra-crap too. I think Zach is that way too. I think Lauri is just the "prescribed work" sorta guy. I don't even think Dunn was that.
:clap:
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,522

Post#15 » by dice » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:06 am

first ever appreciation thread for a guy who wasn't just traded?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#16 » by drosereturn » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:30 am

MrFortune3 wrote:Coby and Zach get way too much hatred on this board. Coby barely played starters minutes early on and he was in the role as a microwave scorer off the bench. Once he moved to the starting lineup he showed a lot of progress as a player.

How do you not get hated? Then stop playing 1 on 1 like your on ymca and play team ball.
Involve others, let Lauri have his 20/10 and then have your way your turn.
Even Boylen knew White would be a disaster bc putting 2 microwave scorers is unprecedented in a NBA team.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,528

Post#17 » by DuckIII » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:33 am

He’s okay. Showed the ability to have some big games. I’m not in any hurry to trade him or anything. There’s some basis for optimism, but come on.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#18 » by GimmeDat » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:58 am

I have zero hate for Coby, he had a great rookie season. But the whole premise OP lays out about 'explosiveness' (whatever you quantify that as) over play-making is ridiculous.

Scoring ability is important. If you're a good scorer like Coby, you likely need the ball in your hands a lot. If you have the ball in your hands a lot, you need to be a smart decision maker/passer to translate it to a high level of team success. White's young and he can score for himself at a pretty good level (If I was wanting to be critical I'd point out the horrific .506 TS% but iirc his efficiency improved towards the back-end of the season so I'm not going to go in on him). Right now he has shown flashes of making good reads but largely does not create for others and is not a PG.

To compare a quality volume scorer like Coby to fringe-NBA talents like Rondo or Brunson... you're being disingenuous and you know it to compare All-Stars like Lillard, Kemba, etc.

Dion Waiters can score but is a liability. Wiggins can score, is definitely explosive, but is largely a liability. Jabari Parker was explosive and could score, but was a liability.

Guys like Lillard and Kemba are not 'playmaker' type PG's but they make the right reads.

I think most people on this board would agree that White had a really promising season, and he has been given a lot of credit -everyone has basically listed him as a highlight of the season. They've also discussed just where his role fits in to the scheme of things long term - a credit to his play given he's only a rookie.

So whose the group with the over the top, reactionary perspective, the above, or OP?
bulls_troy
General Manager
And1: 270

Post#19 » by bulls_troy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:47 am

Sometimes it seems unless the players name is Michael Jordan or Scottie Pippen, you're not gonna be appreciated here.
Twitter: @bulls_troy
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#20 » by wonderboy2 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:53 am

Showtime23 wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:Coby and Zach get way too much hatred on this board. Coby barely played starters minutes early on and he was in the role as a microwave scorer off the bench. Once he moved to the starting lineup he showed a lot of progress as a player.

How do you not get hated? Then stop playing 1 on 1 like your on ymca and play team ball.
Involve others, let Lauri have his 20/10 and then have your way your turn.
Even Boylen knew White would be a disaster bc putting 2 microwave scorers is unprecedented in a NBA team.

Go to bed lol.

Return to Chicago Bulls