ImageImageImage

Offseason plan : Fixing this mess

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,461

Offseason plan : Fixing this mess 

Post#1 » by elchengue20 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:39 pm

Last offseason was a disaster. This team isn't a real contender. Tobias and Horford clearly don't fit with Embiid, let alone Embiid and Simmons.

Let's discuss moves to try to fix this mess.

1)Fire Brett, Brand and the FO.

2)Simmons doesn't fit with Embiid.Trade him and bring an elite scorer and playmaker.

The best trade i can imagine is a 3 team trade where we get Bradley Beal, Wolves get Simmons and Wizards get the #1 pick.

With OKC struggling maybe they want to trade Simmons, Tobias for CP3, Shae, Gallinari and a pick.

Another one could be to the Bulls for Lavine. In that case i would also demand to them to take Tobias terrible contract and to give us some more assets.

3)Trade Horford for a better fit. I don't know wich teams coul be interested because of his age and contract. Maybe to Sacramento for Buddy Hield or Harrison Barnes.

4)With any money avaible bring 3+D players.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 483

Re: Offseason plan : Fixing this mess 

Post#2 » by Stribor » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:51 pm

WE just need your number 1. Let them see what they want and do not want of players. But Brand and Brett have to go. Perhaps there is a coach that can fit Embiid and Ben, I doubt it but you never know. And than we need competent manager and realistic goals. We will not be perenial contender. We can go for a contender in 2 years if we change a lot or even try again next year if they think they can replace the mess immediately, but avoid fire sales and go for the opportunities and not for the quick success.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#3 » by SparksFly87 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Embiid for Wiggins, paschal and 3rd pick.

Simmons for 1st pick in draft from Minn .

Def moving Tobias and filler for Paul regardless of Embiid or Simmons moves.

Horford and JRich with picks for Redick and Jrue.

Or Hield package.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#4 » by Sixerscan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:18 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:Embiid for Wiggins, paschal and 3rd pick.

I've seen this getting thrown around a bit and just wanted to get on the record that I would legit stop following the team until Harris sold if they did this short of Embiid publicly demanding it.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#5 » by Kobblehead » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:28 pm

Look at the big pieces the Thunder have brought in through trade over the recent years:

- Victor Oladipo
- Paul George
- Shai Alexander
- Chris Paul

All of these guys are defensively excellent. Why would they all the sudden be interested in a defensive zero like Tobias Harris? It would go against everything they have demonstrated to believe in.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,461

Post#6 » by elchengue20 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Look at the big pieces the Thunder have brought in through trade over the recent years:

- Victor Oladipo
- Paul George
- Shai Alexander
- Chris Paul

All of these guys are defensively excellent. Why would they all the sudden be interested in a defensive zero like Tobias Harris? It would go against everything they have demonstrated to believe in.

Maybe they are so high on Simmons(who by the way is excellent defensively) and they think taking Tobias is worth it.

If we trade Simmons it should be to a team who still believes he can be a superstar, and is willing to give a lot for him.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#7 » by davesilver » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:42 pm

Simmons for 1st pick in draft from Minn .

Def moving Tobias and filler for Paul regardless of Embiid or Simmons moves.

Horford and JRich with picks for Redick and Jrue.

Or Hield package.

If I'm Sam Presti, why would I take Tobias who will be getting paid nearly 40m in 4 years who is a mediocre scorer and below-average defender? I'd demand a haul -- multiple first rounders. If I'm the 6ers, I'd be limiting our championship window with an old injury-prone Paul to 1-2 years, although I'd still love him on this team. Just don't see OKC saying yes without too big of a sacrifice for the 6ers to make.

Horford and Jrich for Redick and Jrue works for me, but again I feel like NOP have all the leverage here, and would demand some assets that would be tough to give up (i.e. Matisse/Shake).

I think we need to bite the bullet on the Harris contract unfortunately. Our best bet is to offload Horford + Jrich for pieces that would expire faster while keeping us in contention and being better fits around Ben and Joel. I think JJ + Jrue would do that. JJ would make Joel happy, and Jrue would add to the perimeter defense, be a nice homecoming story, and add some shot creation ability. A Jrue - JJ - Tobias - Ben - Joel lineup is very enticing with a bench of Shake - Furk - Matisse - ? - ?

We need to hold on to our first rounders and draft well over the next few years. We can only hope Tobias improves enough to be a legitimate championship piece, while Ben and Joel hopefully improve to be truly elite. **** the celtics.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,665

Post#8 » by Negrodamus » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:49 pm

We should get the gang back together and trade for Thad, Turner, Jrue, Bynum, and sign Hawes out of the G-League.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,685

Post#9 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:07 pm

It would be a fun experiment to see how many picks Hinkie and company could get from auctioning off this entire roster.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#10 » by Kobblehead » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:17 pm

76thBearCub wrote:It would be a fun experiment to see how many picks Hinkie and company could get from auctioning off this entire roster.

Probably a bunch of fake 1st rounders that don't convey, though.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#11 » by Kobblehead » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Get a time machine.

2017: stay at #3 and take De'Aaron Fox
2018: stay at #10 and take Shai Alexander
2019: do the same deal with Boston for Matisse Thybulle

Max out Jimmy Butler

De'Aaron Fox
Shai Alexander / Matisse Thybulle
Jimmy Butler
Ben Simmons
Joel Embiid

Championshipssss
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 723

Post#12 » by Lou_23 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Yeah, we need radical changes like the last two years. Fantastic plan

Are you Elton Brand? Or Josh Harris?
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#13 » by SparksFly87 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:51 pm

We need high level guards.

Chris Paul for Tobi , Zhiare and scott.

Jrue and Redick for Horford , Thybulle or JRich and 2 1sts. Rights to Micic.
NYSixersFan
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#14 » by NYSixersFan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:56 pm

No way would I trade for Wiggins.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#15 » by Black Mage » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Sixerscan wrote:

I've seen this getting thrown around a bit and just wanted to get on the record that I would legit stop following the team until Harris sold if they did this short of Embiid publicly demanding it.

Could do an Embiid/Josh for Nurkic/McCollum/Trent Jr. trade and I'd actually be ok with that.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#16 » by VDT » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:16 pm

Most of these trades are bringing us closer to a rebuild than helping us. No need to take risks like trading Paul or Wall, let alone sending assets for them.

First move is to get a competent GM. Then players and fans need to understand that the team is likely not going to win the title next year or even the year after. It is hard to fix this mess and any trade done out of desperation, when the value of the players is that low will make things harder.

Keeping the same team and sending Horford to the bench, with some internal growth and better chemistry will net us 50-55 wins and maybe a second round, or more, exit assuming health. It will give us time to build up the trade value of the players and to search for sensible trades. In the end it is pretty clear that we need a perimeter star that can score and facilitate. Spending assets for anything less that doesnt does not help us. If Simmons can become that star great, if not we should be looking for opportunities to trade him for said star.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#17 » by Kobblehead » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:22 pm

Gotta shop Josh Richardson for a guy that can either defend or score off the dribble.

Try to package Korkmaz/Milton for a guy that can defend.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,932

Post#18 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Gotta shop Josh Richardson for a guy that can either defend or score off the dribble.

Try to package Korkmaz/Milton for a guy that can defend.

We have guys that can defend, but we have nobody that can score off the dribble in a reliable manner. That has to be our ONLY priority going forward, go get a guy that can score on the ball and then we will worry about how to scheme on defense.
Horrible takes since 2016
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#19 » by Kobblehead » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:38 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:We have guys that can defend, but we have nobody that can score off the dribble in a reliable manner. That has to be our ONLY priority going forward, go get a goy that can score on the ball and then we will worry about how to scheme on defense.

Not really. Of the non-Cs in our rotation, only two guys can defend (Simmons and Thybulle). We clearly don't have enough perimeter defenders.

Scoring off the dribble is a hugely important need, but we can't stop anyone right now even if we could score in the halfcourt. We just let incomplete offensive players like Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown look like unstoppable offensive forces. That's because we got defensive zeroes like Tobias Harris, Josh Richardson, Shake Milton, Furkan Korkmaz, and Mike Scott in our playoff rotation.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#20 » by Black Mage » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:44 pm

1. Agreed. Brett is gone. While I like Brand, I'm afraid for the psyche of the team and city he and everyone beneath him have to go. Mike O'Connor posted to the Ricky website a good list of potential FO candidates via poaching the assistants from Heat/Raptors/Celtics. I'd be happy with those options. As for head coach, I'd consider Atkinson, Wright or maybe Becky Hammond from the Spurs.

2. I don't agree with trading Ben at this point. I want to see if a new FO and coach could get his head straightened out. If not, then move him at the trade deadline. I will give points on that 3-way deal as it actually makes sense and I've wanted Beal for a long time.

3. Some possibly realistic trades???:

A. Josh straight up for DInwiddie (this one might actually make sense);

B. Horford & 2nd Rnd for Eric Gordon & PJ Tucker - makes more sense than you'd think given age/contracts of Harden/Russ;

C. Tobias & a pick for Myles Turner/Victor Oladipo (helps Pacers clear their own bad contract with a player that actually fits their current roster, Dipo helps as his contract 21mil comes off and Sixers take gamble he has something left after injuries)

D. Horford & 1st for DeAndre Jordan and Taurean Prince (swap albatross but who makes sense with Durant/Kyrie for two more easily moveable contracts)

E. ::WARNING AVERT EYES:: Tobias straight up for Blake (Sixers get out of contract within 2 years, Pistons get an actual usable player)

F. Simmons straight up for Jamal Murray (I doubt Nuggets do it unless but it's not too much of a stretch).

Return to Philadelphia 76ers