Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Re: Prospect Thread: LaMelo Ball 

Post#41 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:03 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:How different is an elite playmaker with a busted jump shot to an elite defender with a busted jump shot?

Once bitten?

I dont think Balls jumper is busted at all though. Through my draft analysis watching YouTube videos (sarcasm) he seems to at least be able to hit open shots.

His percentages, Vs much lesser than NBA competition, has not been good though. And never has been good.

And he has that awful motion.

It's not like someone like Walker, who was a bad shooter but at least had good form which might have helped his improvement.

Ball's J is all sorts of gross - like Shawn Marion and Kidd-Gilchrist had a love child.

I want Wiseman or Haliburton, but if we swung for the fences for Ball I wouldn't be too displeased. He'd at least be fun to watch.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#42 » by CuseMayne » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:04 pm

There's inconsistent shooting, and then there's the god awful form that he shoots with. He literally shoots 2 handed. His feet are all over the place. His mechanics just look super ugly. Do we really want to go through MKG 2.0? Guards HAVE to be able to shoot in today's NBA.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#43 » by countryboi » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:04 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:I dont get the issue with him having a bad shot.

How different is an elite playmaker with a busted jump shot to an elite defender with a busted jump shot?

Once bitten?

I dont think Balls jumper is busted at all though. Through my draft analysis watching YouTube videos (sarcasm) he seems to at least be able to hit open shots.

his shot is not nearly the project MKG was
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#44 » by BigSlam » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:24 pm

B B M F 'ers
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#45 » by BlackOutBuzz » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:43 pm

I'm not that worried about the "drama." Was listening to a podcast on the top prospects a few months back and, by all accounts, Lonzo has been a + lockerroom guy throughout his career. And Lavar has been a lot quieter with him out of LA. LaMelo didn't make any negative waves while overseas (that I know of?) so it all kinda feels like a non-issue to me.

That said, hopefully it scares off Minnesota and Golden State.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#46 » by amcoolio » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:49 pm

The highlights look good, but if you look his team is losing or even way behind in those clips. He reminds me of Russell without a good shot. I just don't think we can take a player like that.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#47 » by DY_nasty » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:10 pm

I could go on about how this dude's numbers don't even project that well. But its kinda not what I'm trying to say yet.

*Even if Ball becomes an all-star*

I don't want him here
geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Post#48 » by geraldwallace » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:50 pm

DY_nasty wrote:I could go on about how this dude's numbers don't even project that well. But its kinda not what I'm trying to say yet.

*Even if Ball becomes an all-star*

I don't want him here

Face of the Hornets 2026
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#49 » by MPM » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:17 pm

Let's just say I hope that Minny or GSW free us from the burden of Lamelo consideration.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#50 » by King Ken » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:23 pm

I think he could be the choice for Charlotte, just not sure it's the best selection but y'all have the right system.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#51 » by euphorbus » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:05 am

He looks pretty good, but will not make me forget Magic Johnson any time soon. There is no height to his jump shot, his quickness is merely above average, he lacks strength. How well does LaMelo defend?
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#52 » by Rays Pompadour » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:06 am

I watch the feet. He thinks he's Curry with the shoulder flick shot/push shot. But the feet thrust forward and he's all kinds of out of balance. It is fixable, but goodness it's ugly. Ball also has no mid-range game because he can't get his shot off in traffic - too low of a trajectory. Cody Zeller has this problem, too. Again, if Ball could learn to release close to the apogee of his motion, he'll be a weapon when combined with his elite skills.

The real question is this: is LaMelo Ball coachable? The Hornets already have one of those on the roster in Monk. Don't know if they can stand another. If Mitch is smart, he'll note the obvious deficiencies and dig deep to determine how much Ball wants to be great. Ball needs Kemba-level desire to improve. If he doesn't, best to move on.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#53 » by 316Hornets » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:06 am

Look at how effortlessly he launches a deep 3 here at 2:03. This guy is springy and has great strength. Passing is elite. There is concern about his consistency but this guy plays with a chip on his shoulder. He seems like someone who will put in the work and walk the walk to back up the talk.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#54 » by KingCat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:13 am

The fanbase is convinced that LaMelo is a complete scrub with no positives, and it's all just media hype. I personally think there has to be a reason why so many scouts and analyst are very high on this kid
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Post#55 » by geraldwallace » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:42 pm

For me, I think he has huge potential to be a bust, but I also think with his body, handles, vision he has some superstar potential within him.

We always take the safer pick, but with the third overall IMO we might as well swing for the fences it's very unlikely we will pick top four again within the next few years.

I prefer Wiseman and Edwards but I'd leave happy with Ball
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#56 » by LofJ » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:02 pm

geraldwallace wrote:For me, I think he has huge potential to be a bust, but I also think with his body, handles, vision he has some superstar potential within him.

We always take the safer pick, but with the third overall IMO we might as well swing for the fences it's very unlikely we will pick top four again within the next few years.

I prefer Wiseman and Edwards but I'd leave happy with Ball

With the new flatter odds teams that finish in the middle to late middle part of the lottery will move up a lot more often. So it is not out of the realm of possibility that we could get another top 4 pick in the next few drafts. You're right though that now is not the time to play it safe. Mitch should draft the player with the most upside.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#57 » by DY_nasty » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:48 pm

People saying Ball has *elite* court vision when he's been essentially playing high level scrimmages for the past two years bruhhhhhhhh
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#58 » by DY_nasty » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:51 pm

KingCat wrote:The fanbase is convinced that LaMelo is a complete scrub with no positives, and it's all just media hype. I personally think there has to be a reason why so many scouts and analyst are very high on this kid

they are 'high' on him because everyone else has the same or even more question marks

its not indicative of his qualities as a prospect in another year...
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#59 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:06 pm

LaMelo goes 1st or 2nd IMHO.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
4pointkiller
Junior
And1: 423

Post#60 » by 4pointkiller » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:59 pm

DY_nasty wrote:People saying Ball has *elite* court vision when he's been essentially playing high level scrimmages for the past two years bruhhhhhhhh

Zion played at some no name high school in South Carolina. If you have the talent, it doesn't matter where you play before the NBA. LaMelo plays like a man among boys and he'll continue doing it in the NBA. In case you haven't figured it out, NBA has become really soft with not allowing contact and that will make it easy for LaMelo to dissect defenses and get his shot or find the open man. His court vision is elite and you can find countless examples of him throwing full court passes to an open man.

Return to Charlotte Hornets