All Elite Wrestling - Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,291

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#981 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:19 am

The TNT title looks gorgeous with the gold plating finally in.

I was a little disappointed with the Scorpio Sky/Cody match. It feels like Cody has these competitive matches with these semi-unknown Indy wrestlers (Starks, Kingston, Warhorse), but then put away Scorpio rather quickly/easily. Now, that’s probably just to give these semi-unknown wrestlers additional exposure (i.e., not just having them appear on national tv but showing that they can go with a big name), but still, Scorpio should be one their mainstays for the future.

MJF with another great promo. Interested to see the match between he and Moxley at All Out, but I don’t think he’s going to win (MJF).
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#982 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:57 am

3 of the worst dragon screw leg whips, in a row, by Orange Cassidy. To be fair, Jericho doesn’t have the mobility to take it the right way, but why the hell would you do it 3 straight times when it’s obvious it won’t go right ?

That was terrible.

Edit: the finish was terrible also. Jericho looked horrible throughout. He has such limited flexibility/mobility these days.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#983 » by Spens1 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:34 am

Why would you not have Scorpio sky win that match, just why?

Also put a fork in it, Jericho is done, he had to be carried by Orange Cassidy in ring of all people.

OC is underrated in ring but when you need to be carried by him, your days as a top wrestler are done.

Sent from my CPH1877 using RealGM mobile app
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#984 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Jericho was god awful last night and this is coming from a total Canadian wrestling shill.

Just so bad. That was the worst Jericho match I’ve ever seen and I’m not even harshly exaggerating.

Not only did he botch the dragon screws repeatedly, he botched the “mouse trap” pin too, it just looked so bad as a finish.

Also he conveniently left his leg hanging for OC to apply the ankle lock, killed any believability in that match.

Botch after botch and OC was visibly frustrated.

They should’ve saved Sky vs. Cody for All Out, would’ve had Sky win that tbh.

Is Cody just going to beat everyone week after week? I really don’t think the title needs to be defended this often, it really hurts the prestige and exhausts a lot of matchups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Clutch0z24
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#985 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:05 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:Jericho was god awful last night and this is coming from a total Canadian wrestling shill.

Just so bad. That was the worst Jericho match I’ve ever seen and I’m not even harshly exaggerating.

Not only did he botch the dragon screws repeatedly, he botched the “mouse trap” pin too, it just looked so bad as a finish.

Also he conveniently left his leg hanging for OC to apply the ankle lock, killed any believability in that match.

Botch after botch and OC was visibly frustrated.

It was odd, because Jericho and Orange had a very good match a few weeks ago. Maybe they needed more practice and just couldn't get the practice time. Jericho obviously is at a point where he seems to have trouble staying in shape and at an age where if he doesn't stay in shape - he can't do things athletically that he used to do easily. Hopefully, he can lose the flab.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#986 » by The_Brecht » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:24 am

Cody = Triple H
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#987 » by Scott Hall » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:33 am

Mike Chioda joining AEW was the only thing that interested me last night

Where was Zack Ryder?

AEW is not really good at progressing storylines they seem to rotate most of the roster week to week
which kills a lot of the momentum.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#988 » by JohnPferdelack » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:05 am

Pineapple Pete is no longer an AEW member. His recent tweet:

6 months longer than anyone, even myself, predicted. A worthwhile journey for every single second. But as the song goes:

I still haven’t found what I’m looking for…

Think I’ll go find it. My phone is on, just not planning to wait by it.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#989 » by bondom34 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:06 am

Yeah the OC/Jericho match was odd. They really built it up, and I'm a Cassidy fan but Jericho just looked a little slow, he's been mostly solid in AEW but a few matches has shown some age. The end was bizarre as well.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach

Post#990 » by JohnPferdelack » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Aew and nxt takeover are today at the same night, aren't they?

Sent from my SM-G930F using RealGM mobile app
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#991 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:08 pm

QT Marshall is terrible. His selling, his movement, his look. It’s all awkward and sloppy looking. The Butcher and the Blade aren’t interesting to watch. Luchasaurus throws strikes with half the intensity he should be throwing them with — they don’t look like they or hurt, and don’t look believable.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#992 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:42 am

Great episode. Brodie winning the title in convincing fashion was an unexpected move, but I like it. A dominant win against a top talent was long overdo for Brodie, and Cody has had a more than adequate run in the last 7-8 months so it’s not like he ate an unnecessary loss. It had a Lesnar vs Cena at Summerslam 2014 kind of storyline to it.

I thought it was a bit much that Dark Order went back stage to get Dustin and QT (would’ve looked better if they came out to make the save but got overwhelmed by the numbers of Dark Order). I already forget her name, but the girl that choked out Brandy has a GREAT look.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach

Post#993 » by JohnPferdelack » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:19 am

I only watched the Cody match, but this was very very good. Brodie destroyed Cody from the beginning to the end.
Also good: Dark Order knocked cody's whole entourage.
Interesting to see what will happen in the next episodes of Dynamite...
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#994 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:07 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:QT Marshall is terrible. His selling, his movement, his look. It’s all awkward and sloppy looking. The Butcher and the Blade aren’t interesting to watch. Luchasaurus throws strikes with half the intensity he should be throwing them with — they don’t look like they or hurt, and don’t look believable.

QT honestly offered nothing to me previously, but I love his mid life crisis gimmick so much. The hair plugs, thinking he is a lot cooler than he is, being with the smoking hot girl... it’s one of the best subtle gimmicks.

Luchasauras has not been the same since his injury, he’s a lot slower now and far more hesitant. I was watching the old Aew ppv’s and he was so different, but he’s one of wrestlers that needs a crowd really badly, they go crazy for his comebacks.

Thank you Clutch0z24
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#995 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:18 pm

One of the better episodes of dynamite in a long time and major props for them for doing so against NXT Takeover. And the amazing part is, it was all done without the major world title feud being the focal point. That’s a sign of a deep show with fun storylines.

First off, apologies to JR. he was awful last week, but he was so good this week, it was like classic jr all over again. ““that young beautiful woman is nothing but a damn jezebel” , he made that last segment even better. Tazz is a great addition, I really enjoyed commentary last night.

I’m so happy they booked Brodie the way they did, people were really turning on Cody and giving HHH comparisons when he’s been putting people over in big matches. I’m glad they did this to shut people up and to also make Brodie the legit monster he needs to be.

Brodie Lee has looked super good lately, carrying the dark order single handily to win the tag match against the elite, carrying Colt to get some gimme wins, just looks like lebron carrying the 2007 Cleveland Cavaliers

Loved everything about the match and the post attack, just smashed through the entire family. Huge win!!!

Also, really glad Nightmare Sisters didn’t win the draw, another team could’ve used it, good call.

Thunder Rosa debut! No idea who she is, but more top female stars is a huge addition. Right on!!!

Eddie Kingston is awesome, he just makes everything feel legit on the mic. I love that guy already lol

Ftr is a lot more interesting going forward, Jericho/Cassidy mimosa match sounds so silly but I love how creative works. The Britt baker quip about making out and Jericho/OC tying in the bubbly and orange juice, love how wrestling creative works sometimes to make little things connect and make sense.

Amazing episode tbh

Thank you Clutch0z24
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#996 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:05 pm

Another thing I forgot to mention, Tazz obviously > Excalibur on commentary. It makes for a much more compelling presentation/broadcast when there’s a heel on the mix on commentary. 3 baby faces can work, but having a heel (one who knows what he’s doing at the level of a Tazz or Jericho is necessary, IMO).

Nothing against Excalibur, but I wouldn’t mind not having him on commentary for the foreseeable future.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#997 » by Spens1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:06 am

Honestly good job finally getting the title off of Cody (never should have won the tornuament over Archer, should have lost to Sky the other week but at least Mr Brodie Lee is champ). Also i really shouldn't have but i did pop at seeing the nightmare family all strung out, easily my least favourite part of the show (all of them, QT Marshall is bang average, great trainer given who he has trained but as a wrestler he's very unnoticable, Dustin Rhodes is every part of his 50+ years, Brandi, whilst making huge strides is still very much on the bottom tier of womans wrestlers and honestly her and Allie shouldn't have made it past the first round of the deadly draw as well and thats before we get to Cody).

JR calling woman Jezabels :lol: glad to see there is some of that good ol' JR magic still there.

Loved Kingston coming in and creating a stable with Butcher, Blade and the Lucha Bros, hopefully this frees up both Pentagon jr and Fenix for runs at the singles titles (I know the bros love teaming up, but Pentagon Jr is a main eventer and Fenix honestly could be the most loveable babyface in the company and is far more convincing as a face rather than a heel, they need to hire Chris DeJoseph honestly, he did an amazing job of handling these two and making them absolute stars). Kingston as a part time wrestler and manager for these guys could do wonders, also give me Pentagon Jr challenging Moxley for the title (and potentially winning it as well).

Dark Order vs the Elite I guess was standard for the course.

Overall very good show, they finally established Dark Order as more than some lovable goons and put them over as something very serious.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#998 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:15 am

Also what impressed me is their world title feud was barely highlighted and Jericho/OC had one segment, and there wasn’t any real standout matches... yet this episode was stacked from top to bottom for me.

Very good sign on how strong the product is and the storylines along with it.

Thank you Clutch0z24
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#999 » by daoneandonly » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:49 pm

Agreed, great episode of Dynamite. From FTR having a great match with PP, to their manipulation of Page, and Brodie's dominating win.

I'm very curious to see Cody's reaction, especially to his Elite members not coming out to help him and his wife.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach

Post#1000 » by JohnPferdelack » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:00 am

Cody's out!
He has to make a movie.

Return to Pro Wrestling