ImageImageImageImage

#1 seed up 2-1 over injury-ravaged #8 seed...what’s next?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,606

Post#1 » by Skybox » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:43 pm

Here’s a pragmatic thread...Did anyone expect to beat MIL even before we lost Isaac, Aminu, Gordon, Bamba? Would have been exciting but, of course, unlikely. Due to injuries, things looked even worse. What do you expect/hope for in the remaining games? Realistic Takes would probably be useful.

For me...
-I’d REALLY like to see Fultz just tear apart MIL’s guards in a game or two. Mostly for the sake of his confidence that he can be a star next season. Story goes...he comes out and hits 3 uncontested 3’s in the first quarter. This puts him on the attack and in a, until now, rare state of “Mamba Mentality” - he knows and they know that he’s too fast, too long, too good for any of them. He eurosteps, switches hands, tomahawks, and hits turnarounds at will. He’s, once again, the best player on the floor, like nearly his whole life. He’s fired up, talking junk, chasing down blocks, and pissed off at his NBA career to this point. They lose the series 4-3 but notice is given that Markelle will be a premier player in this league starting now.

-AG is healthy and, completely reactive to the above scene, he falls right in line, playing off of Fultz’s new gravity. He follows him for lobs and drop off dunks, he hits open 3’s from the corners, and he enjoys the defensive frustration the two of them can inflict on less dominant athletes. The pressure on the perimeter leads to a slam dunk highlight reel on the other end. The FO imagines what this could look like when Isaac returns and which young coach might best deploy these weapons most effectively.

-Ennis emerges as the Marcus Smart of this team. Embracing a versatile supporting role as a fiery leader and clutch playmaker. He’s staying in Orl.

-Vuc has a great series and nobody can continue to deny his dominant post play, his improved defense, and his mental toughness in big games. GSW determine that they can’t win without him And begin to prepare an offer to outbid all of the others :wink:

-TRoss shows that he can be much more than a wild streaky gunner. He plays with poise and, like AG, plays off of Markelle’s penetration game by cutting, finishing strong and getting to the line, and hitting 3’s all day. Evan is getting nervous and should be.

-Bamba, Okeke, and Aminu are healing well, developing their bodies and minds for a big season next year.

-Giannis has to go completely berserk to preserve this series victory. Budenholzer has to adjust constantly to mitigate the varied barrage of threats. The better team prevails but both give ORL credit as a fierce team on the rise. “They may just be one piece away from contending“. Potential “one pieces” around the league take notice and consider how they could fit. ORL is once again considered a FA destination with a young talented team, great climate, great organization and facilities, no taxes.

*That got a little out of hand but you get the idea.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Re: #1 seed up 2-1 over injury-ravaged #8 seed...what’s next? 

Post#2 » by Def Swami » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:08 pm

j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#3 » by j-ragg » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:29 pm

We got our 1 game. Just take solace in that. It'll hurt less.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Dubious Kitty
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#4 » by Dubious Kitty » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:31 pm

We really need ownership that actually gives a damn about results like Mark Cuban and his Dallas Mavericks.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#5 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:50 pm

What’s next: the same exact roster + 15th pick as we run it back for the nth time hoping this misfit roster figures it out.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
j-ragg
RealGM

Post#6 » by j-ragg » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:58 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:What’s next: the same exact roster + 15th pick as we run it back for the nth time hoping this misfit roster figures it out.

If our rookie even plays a quarter of the season it'll feel like a championship :rockon:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#7 » by MagicStarwipe » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:04 pm

"What are we going to do next season?"

"Same thing we do every season Pinky. Buddy Ball them to death."
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Skybox
RealGM

Post#8 » by Skybox » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:29 pm

Always good insights from this crowd...pick another team :banghead:
j-ragg
RealGM

Post#9 » by j-ragg » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:33 pm

Skybox wrote:Always good insights from this crowd...pick another team :banghead:

Sort of like people who want America to do better in certain aspects right. They should all leave America?

I'm sort of joking, it's not that serious. But trust me we are dick heads on here because we love the team and hate the way it's being managed. I've seen you agree with us on many occasions. It is what it is though just gotta ride it out.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#10 » by drsd » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:35 pm

For Orlando: all fans should only answer,

J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,216

Post#11 » by J-Mezzy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:39 pm

We will continue supporting this team, as painful as it may be to do so

Just gotto hope that change comes, though I highly doubt it
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,917

Post#12 » by MagicMatic » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:31 pm

If anything, this series should show why this roster doesn’t make sense. That should be the “hot take” from the results in the injuries.

I like that you are optimistic about this team as it’s currently constructed. Some here are just being realistic about what we’ve seen for many years now.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,584

Post#13 » by Rainwater » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:07 pm

The injuries have made the magic look even worse?!?!? The same issues that plagued the magic during the regular season when they were healthy are the same issues that causing them to lose this series when hurt. The results would have been the same regardless, they would have looked the same regardless.

In terms of play going forward, more bad play play.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#14 » by zaymon » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Skybox my man, this is as far from PRAGMATIC as you can get :P Most optimistic deductions i can make right now:

1. Weltman team building philosophy seems working in the playoffs. We are causing some problems to leagues most dominant regular season team. Thats without our whole forward rotation (a key to modern defense). If we had average nba pg Bucks would be in for a long ride with us.

2. Vucevic is good enough to win in the east with better supporting cast. There is no way to guard him when he is shooting from distance. When centers close out he dribbles past them. When they double him he finds the open man. Our defense is completely fine with him on the floor. He rebounds, rotates well, even doesnt get smoked on the perimeter (Bledsoe is very hesitant to attack him). He is 29, almost 30. With his skill set he has at least 5-6 more years in him. (dodging a dagger from half the board).

3. We will need a lot of luck to move up in next 2 years. Isaac healthy is a must. Okeke shooting from 3 is a must. Fultz is not looking like a future star, we need some outside lottery draft magic.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skybox
RealGM

Post#15 » by Skybox » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:03 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Skybox wrote:Always good insights from this crowd...pick another team :banghead:

Sort of like people who want America to do better in certain aspects right. They should all leave America?

I'm sort of joking, it's not that serious. But trust me we are dick heads on here because we love the team and hate the way it's being managed. I've seen you agree with us on many occasions. It is what it is though just gotta ride it out.

Not at all. I do agree it's a dumpster fire and a mismatched roster...I'm just hoping for direction, not reassurance...I'm not even looking for wins or moral victories - just hoping for signs that would give us better direction in what (I hope) is a dramatic offseason.

As far as leaving America...the Magic are presently in better hands, but I see signs of hope there too. Just like NBA, perhaps you have to bottom out to get better. We're there. :crazy:
Skybox
RealGM

Post#16 » by Skybox » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:15 pm

zaymon wrote:Skybox my man, this is as far from PRAGMATIC as you can get :P Most optimistic deductions i can make right now:

1. Weltman team building philosophy seems working in the playoffs. We are causing some problems to leagues most dominant regular season team. Thats without our whole forward rotation (a key to modern defense). If we had average nba pg Bucks would be in for a long ride with us.

2. Vucevic is good enough to win in the east with better supporting cast. There is no way to guard him when he is shooting from distance. When centers close out he dribbles past them. When they double him he finds the open man. Our defense is completely fine with him on the floor. He rebounds, rotates well, even doesnt get smoked on the perimeter (Bledsoe is very hesitant to attack him). He is 29, almost 30. With his skill set he has at least 5-6 more years in him. (dodging a dagger from half the board).

3. We will need a lot of luck to move up in next 2 years. Isaac healthy is a must. Okeke shooting from 3 is a must. Fultz is not looking like a future star, we need some outside lottery draft magic.

Don't get me wrong. I recognize that they suck as presently constructed and shouldn't win any more games...the pragmatic part was "what can we learn from the whuppings to come? what signs will help our FO reveal what to do and who to dump and what we're lacking and what is a sensible path to respectability? I'm no snowflake but "we suck, the FO doesn't want to win, more buddy ball, etc" doesn't really seem like it's worth the time to read or say.

I have to admit it's hard to stick to my guns re: Vuc being relocated when I see how he dismantles a great team with NO help. But imagine him on a team where he's the third option (BOS, BRK, GSW...) I don't think moving him makes us better, but depending on the return and the upside of the remaining roster, who knows...maybe building a bruising, disciplined plodding half-court team around Vuc (what we have) IS the better move and Fultz was just an opportunistic rehab project that should be moved for a shooter. We DO have lots of pieces, just don't match.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,700

Post#17 » by Viper1500 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:28 pm

Love Vuc, but trade him and Gordon for picks/young talent. Let Fournier walk. It's rebuilding time! Seriously.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#18 » by zaymon » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:54 pm

Skybox wrote:
zaymon wrote:Skybox my man, this is as far from PRAGMATIC as you can get :P Most optimistic deductions i can make right now:

Don't get me wrong. I recognize that they suck as presently constructed and shouldn't win any more games...the pragmatic part was "what can we learn from the whuppings to come? what signs will help our FO reveal what to do and who to dump and what we're lacking and what is a sensible path to respectability? I'm no snowflake but "we suck, the FO doesn't want to win, more buddy ball, etc" doesn't really seem like it's worth the time to read or say.

I have to admit it's hard to stick to my guns re: Vuc being relocated when I see how he dismantles a great team with NO help. But imagine him on a team where he's the third option (BOS, BRK, GSW...) I don't think moving him makes us better, but depending on the return and the upside of the remaining roster, who knows...maybe building a bruising, disciplined plodding half-court team around Vuc (what we have) IS the better move and Fultz was just an opportunistic rehab project that should be moved for a shooter. We DO have lots of pieces, just don't match.

I am not against trading Vucevic, but only for a right price. Wiggins + 2020 gsw frp+ 2021 wolves frp + Looney + Poole for Vucevic + Gordon + 2020 magic srp. They take it or they can try to win with Wiggins.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skybox
RealGM

Post#19 » by Skybox » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:59 pm

What teams might value Vuc? To me, it would have to be a win-now team that is lacking the inside (and out) offensive presence at Center...I don't see any lottery teams other than GSW making sense due to his contract...but maybe I'm just brainwashed by all of the Vuc haters on RealGM...is he outdated, nobody pays for centers, nobody drafts centers, etc...None of that makes sense to me as it's a league of stars and a game of mismatches (stars have lots of them). Or, maybe it's easier to love the one you're with. Cliff is obviously a half-court coach...Basically, teams that are already good without a serious offensive threat at Center could be contenders with Vuc is what I'm thinking...Talk me out of that logic or suggest potential trade targets.For example, every time GSW comes up, people over there say things like "Golden State doesn't pay for Centers"...why not? Golden State, to me, is perfect as they can unload Wiggins' salary and a pick. Or people actually call him a negative value...that's absurd! How nasty would BOS be with Vuc? Double Tatum and Vuc goes for 30...all from inside of 6'. That's, IMO, a killer system with multiple DIFFERENT offensive threats.

So who wants Vuc and what would they give?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#20 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:29 pm

Skybox wrote:What teams might value Vuc? To me, it would have to be a win-now team that is lacking the inside (and out) offensive presence at Center...I don't see any lottery teams other than GSW making sense due to his contract...but maybe I'm just brainwashed by all of the Vuc haters on RealGM...is he outdated, nobody pays for centers, nobody drafts centers, etc...None of that makes sense to me as it's a league of stars and a game of mismatches (stars have lots of them). Or, maybe it's easier to love the one you're with. Cliff is obviously a half-court coach...Basically, teams that are already good without a serious offensive threat at Center could be contenders with Vuc is what I'm thinking...Talk me out of that logic or suggest potential trade targets.For example, every time GSW comes up, people over there say things like "Golden State doesn't pay for Centers"...why not? Golden State, to me, is perfect as they can unload Wiggins' salary and a pick. Or people actually call him a negative value...that's absurd! How nasty would BOS be with Vuc? Double Tatum and Vuc goes for 30...all from inside of 6'. That's, IMO, a killer system with multiple DIFFERENT offensive threats.

So who wants Vuc and what would they give?
Sacramento or Dallas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Orlando Magic