Image ImageImage Image

It's early, but Already Time to show COBY WHITE some Appreciation in Chicago

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Re: It's early, but Already Time to show COBY WHITE some Appreciation in Chicago 

Post#21 » by Dan Z » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:01 am

I've head many people on this board say that Coby will never be a point guard and will only be a 6th man.

I get it, but why is he limited already? He's only 20 years old and didn't even get to play a full season. Plus our coaching staff was questionable at best.

What would this board have said about a rookie Kyle Lowry or Chauncey Billups?
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Re: It's early, but Already Time to show COBY WHITE some Appreciation in Chicago 

Post#22 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:15 am

Showtime23 wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:Coby and Zach get way too much hatred on this board. Coby barely played starters minutes early on and he was in the role as a microwave scorer off the bench. Once he moved to the starting lineup he showed a lot of progress as a player.
He was never going to instantly come in and be a stud playmaker.

How do you not get hated? Then stop playing 1 on 1 like your on ymca and play team ball.
Involve others, let Lauri have his 20/10 and then have your way your turn.
Even Boylen knew White would be a disaster bc putting 2 microwave scorers is unprecedented in a NBA team.

Other people have to prove they can and want to score consistently if you want team ball. Coby and Zach can get their own offense and create their own shot.
It's not about "letting" Lauri have his 20-10, he can't create his own shot and was wildly inconsistent.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#23 » by 2018C3 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:24 pm

Taj Gibson got the same fan treatment here, because many including myself was sold on Blair.

Once Taj started earning minutes over the "Amazing James Johnson" who was picked earlier. This type of nonsense just opened up even more hate towards Taj. In his rookie year Taj also dealt with lots of doubt from the fan base. He became one of my favorite players from the Pax era, especially do to where he was drafted, and team first attitude.

Today there are few people left who still hate Taj, He has pretty much earned every fans respect. Once some time passes, I suspect Coby will too.

I wounder where Coby would go in this draft if he stayed another year in college? Maybe if the 4-5 Range? I don't see him falling. I bet he would have put up some good numbers.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,607

Post#24 » by DuckIII » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:39 pm

2018C3 wrote:Taj Gibson got the same fan treatment here, because many including myself was sold on Blair.

Once Taj started earning minutes over the "Amazing James Johnson" who was picked earlier. This type of nonsense just opened up even more hate towards Taj. In his rookie year Taj also dealt with lots of doubt from the fan base.

Today there are few people left who still hate Taj, He has pretty much earned every fans respect. Once some time passes, I suspect Coby will too.

I wounder where Coby would go in this draft if he stayed another year in college?

I gotta say, I don’t get the impression at all that this board is anti-Coby White. Not on the whole by the time Chicago’s season had ended anyway.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,322

Post#25 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:50 pm

Coby definitely has shown flashes. But until this team starts winning it's pretty hard to feel like anybody is a "core piece" of a team that matters. I mean Zach put up 26/5/4 but how much did that matter without winning?

Does Coby have Trae/Steph/Lillard level upside? I guess maayyybee you could squint hard enough and believe so. But that's a big leap still. But on a team in a pretty crummy position, he's one guy we can dream big on.
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,570

Post#26 » by JimmyButler21 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:56 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:Coby and Zach get way too much hatred on this board. Coby barely played starters minutes early on and he was in the role as a microwave scorer off the bench. Once he moved to the starting lineup he showed a lot of progress as a player.

He started one game last year, the very last game
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#27 » by SHO'NUFF » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:50 pm

Love Coby White. He’s gonna be a good one.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#28 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:26 pm

JimmyButler21 wrote:

He started one game last year, the very last game

My bad. Misspoke on that one. Should have said once he got a more defined role and minutes.
I always consider the Pelicans game where he became a starter for some reason. Don’t know why.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#29 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:38 pm

Showtime23 wrote:

How do you not get hated? Then stop playing 1 on 1 like your on ymca and play team ball.
Involve others, let Lauri have his 20/10 and then have your way your turn.
Even Boylen knew White would be a disaster bc putting 2 microwave scorers is unprecedented in a NBA team.

Lauri needs to earn his 20/10. Sorry if you think it should be handed to him. He sucked last season independent of what Zach and Coby did and that is just a fact. Hopefully the new regime brings back the hungry player we saw the first two seasons.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#30 » by Chi town » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:30 am

I see Coby becoming a Kemba Conley type of PG.

Look up their stats and they are eerily similar for their rookie season. Kemba and Conley both look good as secondary scorers for Celts and Jazz now.
Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

Post#31 » by Chi » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:23 am

GimmeDat wrote:I have zero hate for Coby, he had a great rookie season. But the whole premise OP lays out about 'explosiveness' (whatever you quantify that as) over play-making is ridiculous.

Scoring ability is important. If you're a good scorer like Coby, you likely need the ball in your hands a lot. If you have the ball in your hands a lot, you need to be a smart decision maker/passer to translate it to a high level of team success. White's young and he can score for himself at a pretty good level (If I was wanting to be critical I'd point out the horrific .506 TS% but iirc his efficiency improved towards the back-end of the season so I'm not going to go in on him). Right now he has shown flashes of making good reads but largely does not create for others and is not a PG.

To compare a quality volume scorer like Coby to fringe-NBA talents like Rondo or Brunson... you're being disingenuous and you know it to compare All-Stars like Lillard, Kemba, etc.

Dion Waiters can score but is a liability. Wiggins can score, is definitely explosive, but is largely a liability. Jabari Parker was explosive and could score, but was a liability.

Guys like Lillard and Kemba are not 'playmaker' type PG's but they make the right reads.

I think most people on this board would agree that White had a really promising season, and he has been given a lot of credit -everyone has basically listed him as a highlight of the season. They've also discussed just where his role fits in to the scheme of things long term - a credit to his play given he's only a rookie.

So whose the group with the over the top, reactionary perspective, the above, or OP?

Disingenuous? Those players are literally as good as it gets as far as modern day "pass first" distributing PG's. There are literally no Pass First Star PG's left in this league, Rubio is probably the Elite of the category. It just goes to show just how much more impactful Scoring/Shooting PG's are than the Distributors I see so many fans saying that they want their own PG to be.

I've even taken it as far as comparing Nate Robinson to Satoransky, both in the 6th man border line starter range. But are they really close in terms of which you would want on your team? 1 qualifies as "Explosive" offense, and the other as a "Distributor. The explosive offense guy Wins every time in the modern NBA. Even if he's not a great/good/decent or average playmaker.

Have you seen what Donavan Mitchell is currently doing playing some of his first moments at PG? That "Explosive" offensive display Looks (and Is) a lot better than what the Veteran distributor Conley has done in that position.

That's the only point I wanted to make. And as far as the people you mentioned who agree with me, who like and appreciate what Coby brings to the table.

I was never talking to you...
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#32 » by drosereturn » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:35 am

Dan Z wrote:I've head many people on this board say that Coby will never be a point guard and will only be a 6th man.

I get it, but why is he limited already? He's only 20 years old and didn't even get to play a full season. Plus our coaching staff was questionable at best.

ok i give up. so now White is becoming Lowry when his bbiq is off the charts. I am not saying im not 100% of the time right but not even Masai is. What I am trying to say is play the probability and try to eliminate uncertainties when you evaluate a prospect.
You can claim im giving up easily but usually 1st seasons are very important and I would rather get a refund on the number 7 pick asap rather than take risks with him in a team that has no system at all my turn your turn.

Same with Carter. There is no need to take risks on starter/6thman type players although they may blossom in other teams.
I will still not regret 1 bit bc Luka wouldnt be Luka here as opoosed to Dallas.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#33 » by GimmeDat » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:42 am

Chi wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I have zero hate for Coby, he had a great rookie season. But the whole premise OP lays out about 'explosiveness' (whatever you quantify that as) over play-making is ridiculous.

Scoring ability is important. If you're a good scorer like Coby, you likely need the ball in your hands a lot. If you have the ball in your hands a lot, you need to be a smart decision maker/passer to translate it to a high level of team success. White's young and he can score for himself at a pretty good level (If I was wanting to be critical I'd point out the horrific .506 TS% but iirc his efficiency improved towards the back-end of the season so I'm not going to go in on him). Right now he has shown flashes of making good reads but largely does not create for others and is not a PG.

To compare a quality volume scorer like Coby to fringe-NBA talents like Rondo or Brunson... you're being disingenuous and you know it to compare All-Stars like Lillard, Kemba, etc.

Dion Waiters can score but is a liability. Wiggins can score, is definitely explosive, but is largely a liability. Jabari Parker was explosive and could score, but was a liability.

Guys like Lillard and Kemba are not 'playmaker' type PG's but they make the right reads.

I think most people on this board would agree that White had a really promising season, and he has been given a lot of credit -everyone has basically listed him as a highlight of the season. They've also discussed just where his role fits in to the scheme of things long term - a credit to his play given he's only a rookie.

So whose the group with the over the top, reactionary perspective, the above, or OP?

Disingenuous? Those players are literally as good as it gets as far as modern day "pass first" distributing PG's. There are literally no Pass First Star PG's left in this league, Rubio is probably the Elite of the category. It just goes to show just how much more impactful Scoring/Shooting PG's are than the Distributors I see so many fans saying that they want their own PG to be.

I've even taken it as far as comparing Nate Robinson to Satoransky, both in the 6th man border line starter range. But are they really close in terms of which you would want on your team? 1 qualifies as "Explosive" offense, and the other as a "Distributor. The explosive offense guy Wins every time in the modern NBA. Even if he's not a great/good/decent or average playmaker.

Have you seen what Donavan Mitchell is currently doing playing some of his first moments at PG? That "Explosive" offensive display Looks (and Is) a lot better than what the Veteran distributor Conley has done in that position.

That's the only point I wanted to make. And as far as the people you mentioned who agree with me, who like and appreciate what Coby brings to the table.

I was never talking to you...

You're using the term 'pass-first' to define players that are good passers but big liabilities as scorers, though... any player in the league who is a major liability as a scorer will not be a good player.

Again, why are you comparing a 32 year old Conley having the worst season of his career to their star player in Mitchell? It's not a fair comparison and has little to do with actual play-style.

What makes someone like Doncic prolific is his ability to make the right play every time on the court. He's not 'explosive'. If Trae young was exactly the same but a below average passer, then he'd be a mediocre bench piece. Ditto Ja Morant.

It's not so much that 'pass-1st PG's' are out of style, more-so that the evolution of basketball players has meant there are more capable on-ball players at a variety of positions, which means point guards are requiring a greater level of off-ball utility, and are asked to dominate the ball less.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Post#34 » by Dan Z » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:50 am

Showtime23 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:I've head many people on this board say that Coby will never be a point guard and will only be a 6th man.

ok i give up. so now White is becoming Lowry when his bbiq is off the charts. I am not saying im not 100% of the time right but not even Masai is.
You can claim im giving up easily but usually 1st seasons are very important and I would rather get a refund on the number 7 pick asap rather than take risks with him in a team that has no system at all my turn your turn.

Same with Carter. There is no need to take risks on starter/6thman type players although they may blossom in other teams.
I will still not regret 1 bit bc Luka wouldnt be Luka here as opoosed to Dallas.

My point with Lowry is that it took him time to become the player he later became. For example, it took him 6 seasons before he was able to shoot well from three. Some players take time to develop.

In Coby's case he had an up and down season, but has upside (and is only 20 years old). Will he reach his full potential? That remains to be seen.

I get it; you don't like him. What kind of "refund" do you think the Bulls could get for him?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#35 » by Chi town » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:56 am

Gimme “ It's not so much that 'pass-1st PG's' are out of style, more-so that the evolution of basketball players has meant there are more capable on-ball players at a variety of positions, which means point guards are requiring a greater level of off-ball utility, and are asked to dominate the ball less.”

This is why I think Coby can be a PG.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#36 » by GimmeDat » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:35 am

Chi town wrote:Gimme “ It's not so much that 'pass-1st PG's' are out of style, more-so that the evolution of basketball players has meant there are more capable on-ball players at a variety of positions, which means point guards are requiring a greater level of off-ball utility, and are asked to dominate the ball less.”

This is why I think Coby can be a PG.

I certainly think in some situations he could be, but that's determinate on having a primary initiator who is a better play-maker. Right now we don't have that and would be leaning more on our PG position for that.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#37 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:30 am

I have no idea why so many people are writing off that White can be a competent PG as far as facilitation goes. He has literally only played the position for two years. He showed some really good vision and passing skills in flashes last season. No reason think a 20 year old won't continue to improve. Most teams don't even use traditional PGs as starters any more so I'm hardly worried about whether he can dish out 10 assists a game.

Any player that can get his own shot efficiently is underappreciated here. Some of you would love a team full of Dengs and Korvers with a non-scoring PG dishing 12 asts per game. And that team would go nowhere.
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#38 » by wonderboy2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:34 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:I have no idea why so many people are writing off that White can be a competent PG as far as facilitation goes. He has literally only played the position for two years. He showed some really good vision and passing skills in flashes last season. No reason think a 20 year old is won't continue to improve. Most teams don't even use traditional PGs as starters any more so I'm hardly worried about whether he can dish out 10 assists a game.

Any player that can get his own shot is underappreciated here. Some of you love team full of Dengs and Korvers with non-scoring PG dishing 12 asts per game. And that team would go nowhere.

100 percent agree!!
satriales
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#39 » by satriales » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:42 am

Showtime23 wrote:

ok i give up. so now White is becoming Lowry when his bbiq is off the charts. I am not saying im not 100% of the time right but not even Masai is. What I am trying to say is play the probability and try to eliminate uncertainties when you evaluate a prospect.

Why would you want a refund on a guy coming off what has been rather widely lauded as a good rookie year? Don't was incredibly effective when his usage soared in Feb-Mar. Hammer that.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#40 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:55 pm

Nice podcast/interview with Coby here I listened to yesterday-

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/bulls-coby-white-mentoring-and-guiding-youth-vital-personal-mission

I LOVE this kid :love:

I will be so mad if they don't build around him. He walks and talks everything I like in an NBA player and he's just a baby still!

Getting dissed on the Rookie Challenge game woke this kid up and told him you have to earn it if you want it.
It's not getting handed to you in the NBA.

Like remember when Tyrus Thomas had all that talent and DIDN'T GET IT?

Return to Chicago Bulls