[2020] Team Needs Master List

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Re: [2020] Team Needs Master List 

Post#41 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jun 6, 2020 1:27 pm

Love this thread, but as I read through the OP, one thought came to mind:

The NBA has had stretches where defense was emphasized - a little
But offense is what gets the fans interested (true in most sports).
each team should probably begin with "Need defense and ..." :lol:

Denver doesn't list defense in the OP but our coach tends to not play players because of weak defense (except Barton, he'll always play Barton).

The OP says Denver needs "better wings + rotation big" and there's no doubt that's quite true.
I would have said, "backup center" (afraid Plumlee leaves) plus we need half of our young players to become consistent :wink: (Murray, Porter, Harris, Grant, Morris, Bates-Diop, Dozier, Bol) I'd be happy with just two or three of those living up to potential and finally, we need Jokic to be more assertive on the offensive end (my opinion) but his game is what it is and I'll take it all day long.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#42 » by malik959 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 2:13 pm

Good tread, for the Knicks I would love for them to go after Oladepo and sign Woods this offseason. At guard we have quite a few options in the draft with Halliburton, Hayes, and Cole. Randle (puts up some great numbers) does not fit because he is unable to space the floor.

Halliburton/Frank
Oladepo/Bullock/C.Stanley
Barrett/Brazdeikis
Woods/Patrick Williams
Robinson/Wooten
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#43 » by Buzzard » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:43 pm

getrichordie wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Spoiler:
Got bored and decided to create a master list of all team needs. It's a rough list, so if anyone wants to debate it, add to it, or thinks something needs to be changed, please feel free to suggest changes. I will do my best to keep it as updated as possible.

Thanks
GROD.

atlanta hawks
— defensive-minded 2 + better 2nd string point + better back up 5

1. Hawks are hopeful Cam Reddish is that defensive minded SG. As bad as his offense was to start his early NBA career, his defense kept him on the court. He started putting it together on offense once the calender switched to 2020.
2. Yes to 2nd string PG
3. Dewayne Dedmon is adequate as the backup 5 to Capela.
4. Hawks need a backup PF behind John Collins, none currently on the roster.

Changed back up 5 to "2nd string 4"

I see the Hawks as 7 deep right now:
Trae, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, Collins, Capela, Dedmon

BU PG is a need
BU PF is a need

They really need a shooter and one defender coming off the bench. I don't care if its a draft pick or free agent acquisition. They can be a PG or PF, even a forward tweener.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#44 » by Buzzard » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:17 pm

gom wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:
gom wrote:Miami's biggest need isn't at wing or point guard, where the team is pretty well served. I expect Miami will keep its young pieces like Nunn & Herro, especially in the face of salary cap constraints. I feel Miami needs a power forward to run next to Adebayo more than help in the backcourt.

I predict this offseason Miami will resign Crowder and Derrick Jones Jr to one-year deals and draft a front court player to develop (C or PF, Precious Achiuwa, Aleksej Pokuševski, Vernon Carey, or Jalen Smith), but Miami's next significant piece should be someone like Giannis or Davis rather than Beal.

I expect Miami to resign Dragic too, so money will be scarce. It's the same everywhere though.

The end goal should be to pair Butler & Adebayo with another key piece.
Gallinari looks very good for miami

Yeah, that's a pretty easy pass for the Heat. Pat opted not to trade for him during the season, so I don't see it happening now.

Besides FVV, I think Dragic is one of the more interesting point guard free agents available. He won't command a huge pay day; but he could command a more long term one than Riley wants to give out. Crowder is MLE territory all day.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
theocratic_n'_nature
Pro Prospect
And1: 372

Post#45 » by theocratic_n'_nature » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:28 pm

Raps don't need scoring guards (Lowry/FVV/Powell/Davis II/Matt Thomas), nor starting bigs (Gasol/Ibaka/Siakam), and we actually have too many wings right now we can't give them minutes (OG/RHJ/McCaw/Watson Jr/Brissett/Miller- hell, even Stanley freaking Johnson has shown up those last 2 games of the bubble).

We need a star closer that's defensively responsible.

A 3rd string pg and back up center might be nice too although more of a want than a need.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#46 » by Norm2953 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:35 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
NBAhipster24 wrote:Portland having a guy that's a legit 6'7 or 6'8 play the three would be incredible. Just someones who's a body and hit C&S 3's at 35% would be perfect

Nic Batum come on down!!!!

The Batum of 2015 was a perfect fit in Portland
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#47 » by Wizop » Fri Sep 4, 2020 2:03 pm

pacers33granger wrote:indiana pacers
— floor-spacing 2 + wing depth

I would say this is likely close for Indy. We have 12 guys signed so our needs are limited, though Lamb is out. But the roster is largely set.</quote]

disagree strongly. we might add something on the wing particularly if we can't resign JHolla but it isn't a huge problem. We have Olakipo, AHoliday, Warren, McDermott, Sumner, and even Alize and Bowen.

pacers33granger wrote:We also need an emergency big. That could be just resigning Sampson or Alize Johnson if management feels he's ready for a real role. It could be someone else. But we don't have a real PF on the roster.

this is the need and I would leave out emergency. we need a true rotation 4 who can pair with either Turner or Sabonis. Goga is the emergency center and can be expected to be better in a second year. if Leaf is back, he is also an emergency center. perhaps the new coach will rebuild his confidence. he's shown not to be a 4 but he is athletic enough to be serviceable as a 2nd or 3rd unit 5. Sampson surprised but he has no ability to stretch the floor. McDermott and JHolla are not 4's unless you always play small ball or like this year have no other good options.

now I suppose one could say Warren can play some second unit 4 and I suppose he could and if that is the plan maybe we do need some wing depth as you said, but I'm putting the priority on backup 4.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#48 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Sep 6, 2020 2:34 am

Dallas needs:

more high end talent
21 cap space
defender against big wings
2-way wing period
Additional playmaker
emergency big
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#49 » by Wizop » Sun Sep 6, 2020 2:03 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Dallas needs:

more high end talent
21 cap space
2-way wing period
Additional playmaker
emergency big
Sure sounds like you need a year of Oladipo and the cap space his leaving after a year would provide. You might also poach Jakaar Sampson.

Sent from my phone.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,199

Post#50 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:12 am

Wizop wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Dallas needs:

more high end talent
21 cap space
2-way wing period
Additional playmaker
emergency big
Sure sounds like you need a year of Oladipo and the cap space his leaving after a year would provide. You might also poach Jakaar Sampson.

Sent from my phone.

I thought Oladipo had 2 years left. Is one an option?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#51 » by Wizop » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:33 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:I thought Oladipo had 2 years left. Is one an option?

just 1 year and while Pacers offered to extend there is a limit to the bump that you can put in an extension and he wants more. he can only get what he thinks he deserves (and he does deserve if he returns to pre-injury form) if he is allowed to become a free agent at the end of the coming season.
clippertown
Veteran
And1: 928

Post#52 » by clippertown » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:38 pm

Clips need a point guard. They have both Lou and Beverly who are both combo guards. They need a true point to run the offense.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Post#53 » by meekrab » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:48 pm

ChettheJet wrote:Bulls:

Pure pass first PG, a guy that's going to try and average 8-9 assists per game not 18PPG they've got White and Lavine to score

While I agree with the idea, White and LaVine need the ball for a lot of their scoring, so I think 5-7 APG is a more realistic target.

And a guy who can play 75 games a year at SF rather than the 15 they've gotten from Porter.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#54 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:20 pm

Lakers needs as of now before any resigns happen
Back up SF/C
Back up PG.

Assets
DG
Kyle Kumza
1st
Javal.

I dont expect us make any big moves but a back up sf would be our top priority.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#55 » by getrichordie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:38 am

Updated.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#56 » by Biff Cooper » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:49 pm

Can the Wolves have a Need of Playing Time together? I believe we turned over 2/3 of our roster in January and February, and then KAT was out with injury from February until the Covid shut down. It is very difficult for me to say with any certainty what the team really needs under these circumstances.

I believe the current list on the first page has us with "Star - Defense - Shot Blocking PF - Two way Wing"

I really do think that TWolves Management believes that KAT is our star and D'Angelo Russell is our 2nd star. I'm sure we are looking for a third star.

Sure it would be great to have a shot blocking PF, but we also seem to value our PF stretching the floor and getting and also being able to get out and defend the perimeter so that KAT doesn't have to guard the other team's best outside shooting big. This seems to be too much to ask for in a single person. I guess I could see wanting a shot blocking PF who gets limited minutes depending on matchups.

The two-way wing is definitely a need, but I personally think Culver will eventually fill that role.

Defense is definitely a huge need when KAT and D'Angelo are both worse than average defenders and are your two best players...

I would personally put our needs as:

Defense - 3rd Star - PT Together - Two way wing - Shot Blocking Rotational PF
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#57 » by getrichordie » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:36 am

Okay, guys. I plan on simplifying this list and re-making into an excel sheet for readability purposes.

To achieve that, please tell me your favorite team's 3 biggest needs.

Only 3, please!

If you think you have a good pulse on another team's situation (one other than your favorite), please do share what you think the 3 biggest needs for that team would be.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#58 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:49 pm

gswhoops wrote:Spot on for GSW.

Yep....for sure.

I think Warriors are likely to bring in Jerremy Lin as backup point.

So they need some size. However, size must have a skillset and not just be a guy that rim runs. Warriors already have that.
Definition of a great Warrior big is 6.9-10", guard 1 and 2 position, shoot from 3 and guard the 3 point line in a switching defense. High basket ball IQ.

So that's not Goober types....

It's guys like Nikola Vucevic....Ibaka. Tough to get those guys but those are the types.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#59 » by vege » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 pm

Detroit need a new Owner, everything else is irrelevant. The franchise went downhill since Mr Davidson died. We are currently, easily the worst run franchise in the league. So even a new GM won't be able to fix this mess.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#60 » by loserX » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:21 pm

Unstickying this one, but if someone would like to create a 2021 version, please feel free! They come in very handy.

Return to Trades and Transactions