ImageImageImageImage

#1 seed up 2-1 over injury-ravaged #8 seed...what’s next?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Re: #1 seed up 2-1 over injury-ravaged #8 seed...what’s next? 

Post#21 » by Skybox » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:39 pm

...and what would they give?

Why Sacramento? Many thought there was some Divac Eastern Euro lovefest but he's gone. Who would they send back-Hield? not sure I'm down. Doesn't KP primarily play center now? He's so versatile I suppose they could both go in and out with tons of pick and roll with Luka but nothing on Dallas' roster excites me.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#22 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:08 pm

Skybox wrote:...and what would they give?

Why Sacramento? Many thought there was some Divac Eastern Euro lovefest but he's gone. Who would they send back-Hield? not sure I'm down. Doesn't KP primarily play center now? He's so versatile I suppose they could both go in and out with tons of pick and roll with Luka but nothing on Dallas' roster excites me.
Powell was the Dallas center before he tore his achilles. Sacramento would probably give Heild and probably swap picks. He'll make a couple million less than Vuc and has a descending contract also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#23 » by Gomagic44 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:22 pm

Trade Vuc now that he's shown he can play in the playoffs. Trade Gordon. I'm ok with rebuilding or retooling. I'm not on board with running it back again.

Sent from my HD1900 using RealGM mobile app
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#24 » by PrimeThyme » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:49 pm

Spoiler:
drsd wrote:
#1 seed up 2-1 over injury-ravaged #8 seed...what’s next?

For Orlando: all fans should only answer,

The sooner we can accept that this organization needs an ownership change and a complete teardown the sooner that trophy can become a reality. Until then, purgatory it is.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#25 » by Xatticus » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:02 pm

j-ragg wrote:We got our 1 game. Just take solace in that. It'll hurt less.

I think it's better if you interpret it as a fluke event as opposed to a reason for optimism. People can make really dumb decisions when they believe what they'd prefer to be true as opposed to what the evidence is actually telling them.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#26 » by TheGlyde » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:17 pm

To the original question, if we had a full healthy roster would we expect to beat MIL? Well, no, but if we had the full healthy roster I wouldn't expect to play MIL in the first round (having said that, I'm not sure a fully healthier roster gets us higher than #7).

If we are fully healthy, then listen, we have no great star who can consistently get buckets, but we have some serious depth with the pickups of Clark and Ennis.

In fact, I think we have too much depth when healthy, so we need to look to try and package some guys in 2 for 1 (or 3 for 1) talent upgrades.

Its riskier, because you put 2-3 sets of 'eggs' into one player 'basket', more money committed to one guy, and if he goes down injured we are in an even worse spot, but if we have done anything we have shown that we can find servicable pieces at the deadline (Fultz/Ennis) or off the waiver wire (MCW/Clark) for cheap.

At the start of the season Cliff was forced to play 10 guys in his rotation (more than he wanted) because MCW just efforted his way into the rotation.

The fully healthy rotation right now would be:
Fultz/DJ
Fournier/Ross
Gordon/Ennis
Isaac/Aminu
Vucevic/Bamba

That's 10 deep and thats giving DNP-CD or mop up minutes to MCW, Clark, Birch & Iwundu who are getting major minutes at the moment... Take Isaac out for next year and insert Okeke and #15 and still, its too much depth.

Clark, MCW, Aminu... None are perfect NBA players but all are too good to rot on the bench... Which likely means either MCW or DJ won't be resigned for one... MCW will be cheaper, but we know Cliff loves DJ.

Compare that to the roster we are rolling out right now aganist the best (regular season) team in the league:
Fultz/DJ
Fournier/Ross/Johnson/Law
Ennis/Iwundu/Frazier
Clark/Birch
Vuc/Birch

Anyway, I think I just wrote a page on the first sentence of your post... :/

What do I hope we can get out of this series?

I want to give Milwaukee a hard time. If they beat us, maye them earn it. Be scrappy. Get on the floor for loose balls. contest shots and don't allow gimmies. Make them earn it from the foul line.

A scare would be great... to do that we would have to somehow win Game 4, and to do that, after the last 2 games, I just can't see improvement coming from the guys who played those games.

Their confidence is down and they are running scared.

The team needs a lift... MCW is not ready, the only thing that could maybe do it, would be if AG's hamstring was healed enough to play (and play well).

If he can frustrate Giannis on a few plays 1 on 1, maybe block a shot from nowhere, a couple of strong post ups and one of those dunks he pulled out against the Lakers... He could be the spark we need to steal Game 4 and have everyone wondering how the Orlando Magic are still playing and the Philadelphia 76ers are on the plane home.

Problem is, best case I see from AG is 5-6minutes a half of conservative team defence and shooting spot up jumpers if he is left open, a whole bunch of turnovers and missed open shots, and the Magic go down 3-1 and then they do start telling themselves 'at least we got game 1'
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#27 » by Bensational » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:25 pm

Here are the takeaways I think management will make from this playoff series:

- Vuc is good - keeper. He stepped up against the best defense in the league, in the playoffs. He's justified his payday, and Mo is nowhere near in a position to challenge him. They will see him as an even more reliable pillar to build around in the short term.
- DJ is important to this team's success - resign. They will see that in our wins against Toronto and Milwaukee, he was a playmaking X Factor, Fultz isn't ready and we will need a 'veteran floor general' at times.
- Ross has been neutralised in both playoff series (so far). He's on a good value deal, with a highly valued skill set. Good trade bait.
- Fournier has been neutralised in both playoff series (so far). He's likely to opt in, with cap projections being unpredictable. Possible good trade value as an expiring with a coveted skill set. Likely appealing to playoff teams.

- Isaac - unreliable, but game-changing talent. Plan without him, but be prepared for him when he returns.
- Mo - unreliable, but due to unforeseen circumstances. Due further evaluation.
- Wes - reliable depth piece. Gritty hustler. Worth a min deal.
- Clark - reliable depth piece. Gritty hustler. Good shooter. Worth a min deal.
- Birch - reliable depth piece - keeper.
- MCW - you know what you're getting with him. He's a keeper, at the right price.
- Aminu - underwhelming. Look to move if possible.
- Gordon - tbc.

So basically, look into changing up the backcourt this summer, with Aminu as trade fodder/cap filler.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#28 » by Skin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:27 am

Here is the plan...

The Magic will say that Vucevic's 9th season here and Fournier's 7th season here will be PURE MAGIC.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#29 » by Xatticus » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:51 am

Missing the playoffs next season would force them to do something. They will look pretty stupid if the team wins 35 games and has little to show from their draft picks.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#30 » by Def Swami » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:59 am

I genuinely wonder what ownership's breaking point with Weltman and Hammond is. I'm personally giving them this off-season to do something to change my impression of them. I think the status quo or missing the playoffs next season (definitely in the cards if we make no changes) would warrant new eyes overseeing this team.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,764

Post#31 » by OrlandoNed » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:37 am

Def Swami wrote:I genuinely wonder what ownership's breaking point with Weltman and Hammond is. I'm personally giving them this off-season to do something to change my impression of them. I think the status quo or missing the playoffs next season (definitely in the cards if we make no changes) would warrant new eyes overseeing this team.

Imagine Vuc, Evan, Ross and AG possibly reaching their 3rd different GM. Wish I could get paid accomplishing nothing for years.
Husky1
Senior
And1: 301

Post#32 » by Husky1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:17 am

serious question? How many games would we win in a 7 game series against the Raptors bench? I reckon they would beat us. Take out their starting 5 and I would say they win in 5. My mind is blown that some still think we don't need to tear this dumpster fire down.
I couldn't tell if @bensational was serious when you said resign DJ as he's important to our success? Evan as possible trade bait? ur kidding right? They should be Priority A1 and A2 of getting as far away from this team as possible. Trade Vooch for picks and younger talent, his value might never get higher. Use AG to trade up, I wanna see a complete new direction.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,072

Post#33 » by SOUL » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:08 am

Husky1 wrote:serious question? How many games would we win in a 7 game series against the Raptors bench? I reckon they would beat us. Take out their starting 5 and I would say they win in 5. My mind is blown that some still think we don't need to tear this dumpster fire down.
I couldn't tell if @bensational was serious when you said resign DJ as he's important to our success? Evan as possible trade bait? ur kidding right? They should be Priority A1 and A2 of getting as far away from this team as possible. Trade Vooch for picks and younger talent, his value might never get higher. Use AG to trade up, I wanna see a complete new direction.

I don't think those are his personal opinions, he said that's what he thinks the management will come away with from this series.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#34 » by Bensational » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:57 am

SOUL wrote:
Husky1 wrote:serious question? How many games would we win in a 7 game series against the Raptors bench? I reckon they would beat us. Take out their starting 5 and I would say they win in 5. My mind is blown that some still think we don't need to tear this dumpster fire down.

I don't think those are his personal opinions, he said that's what he thinks the management will come away with from this series.

Bingo.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,389

Post#35 » by GelbeWand09 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:12 am

Xatticus wrote:Missing the playoffs next season would force them to do something. They will look pretty stupid if the team wins 35 games and has little to show from their draft picks.

So far they had the luck that in the east its enough to have 2-3 above average veterans & solid defense to get that 8th spot.
All the young teams can't play defense or are still tanking.
Next season gonna be interesting. The Nets were our main competitor for the 7/8th spot but are prolly at least a semi contender next year. All the other teams ahead of us are still young & much better than us. Only teams i dont fully trust are Indiana & Philly, but probably any trade the Sixers can do, gonna make them better because they cant really make that roster more unbalanced lol
Indiana, i'm still not a believer in Superstar Oladipo. He had one fluke year & looked much worse already before his injuries. Sabonis & Brogdon are winning & impact player + McMillan is like the Clifford deluxe version. His teams play slow, organized & very good defense and always kinda overachieve. They have alotta trade chips & every year they find hidden gems on other teams benches. They probably fight again for the 4th-6th seed next year, no matter the roster.

Question is, if one of the young teams behind us take a step foward to challenge us.

I never believed the hype about the Hawks before the season, because when your 2 best players are one of the worst defenders at there position (Collins was improved this year) you wont reach the playoffs as a young roster.
Next season with Capela, full season of Collins & the young players a year older they could be a threat but Traes defense is so unbelievable bad & Collins just doesnt have a body to be a impact defender, i still have doubts about there defense & there coach.

Detroit probably full tank mode

Chicago could be interesting but they still have the handicap of the worst coach in the leaque & most of there potentially good players are enigmas. Lavine was never a positive player despite his scoring. White got the worst shot selection in the leaque & is either super hot or super cold. Lauri forget to play over last years offseason.
They lack shooting like us but doesnt have the defense to offset that over the regular aseason.

Charlotte tank mode but with modern offense and a lot shooting. They maybe are a threat if we end up in the 33-35 region again.

Knicks. Well... probably the only organization with Detroit & maybe Cavs in a worse situation than us.

Washington. Modern fun offense like Charlotte but without any kind of defense. They could be a threat with a trade or 2 but big chance they wont do win now moves. Beal maybe traded anyway.

Cleveland. No defense, young & not much talent. There 2 high draft picks are both undersized combo guards with Lou Williams trajectory.

Before the offseason, i see us as the 8th seed again. Atlanta with better D & offensive concistency or Chicago with 1 or 2 shooters and a coaching change could be a threat but i still doubt it. Unlike these teams we gonna play d every night & our better players are more consistent. Thats enough in the east.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#36 » by pepe1991 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 am

Pacers could easly do fire sale, especially if Oladipo walks. They got swpet by lower seed in first round. They can comfor themselfs that Sabonis was out i guess :dontknow:

76ers are still in funk and without any direction. Blowing up roster won't be ouside realm of possibility. Getting swept in first round without any hope of improving roster.

This teams that are currently outside playoffs of East... I just don't see who will make leap up. Maybe Bulls, maybe Hawks.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#37 » by drsd » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:34 am

Xatticus wrote:
j-ragg wrote:We got our 1 game. Just take solace in that. It'll hurt less.

I think it's better if you interpret it as a fluke event as opposed to a reason for optimism. People can make really dumb decisions when they believe what they'd prefer to be true as opposed to what the evidence is actually telling them.

Dude: I cried.

Gary Clark played up on Antetokounmpo - that one game probably made Clark millions in a new NBA contract (somewhere). The win was remarkable and, for me, one of the 10 greatest single wins in Magic history.

I was breathless.

drsd
RealGM

Post#38 » by drsd » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:36 am

pepe1991 wrote:Pacers could easly do fire sale ....

Orlando's #15 for Doug McDermott would be a forward updrade for Orlando.
drsd
RealGM

Post#39 » by drsd » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:38 am

J-Mezzy wrote:We will continue supporting this team, as painful as it may be to do so

Just gotto hope that change comes, though I highly doubt it

Fournier and Ennis were meant to come off the books so Orlando could make a splashy upgrade at SG. That looks to be delayed a year.

But after "doing nothing" these last 6-years, what's one more !
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,649

Post#40 » by stormi » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:13 am

I still like what y'all are building barring Bamba takes that leap.

Vuc for the Warriors pick? Would GS be interested in something like that? He's at that age where his value is probably peaking and they probably want to squeeze the last few drops out of Steph and Klay. Vuc >>> Wiseman. Especially since they like their centers being rim protectors / lob catchers it almost seems like a waste of such a valuable pick especially when they have Looney capable of doing that job.

Use 2 on... whomstever you'd like.

Fultz, #2, Okeke, Bamba is a promising young core.

Maybe poach FVV in FA? Y'all would be like one draft pick blowing up away from being a Utah type team.

Return to Orlando Magic