ImageImageImageImageImage

The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#341 » by gigantes » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:32 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:But still, something must’ve been big enough to push Kenny out during the run to the playoffs.

Pretty clear that he did it himself, based on chronic resistance from a subset of players.

Where I differ from most is that... well, fluff... this stuff happens! I hate it, but this is also just reality. I guess?
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,247

Post#342 » by Papi_swav » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:44 pm

They're saying Thibs is a candidate for the Nets. CHRIST NO !!! Hope it's just speculation.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Post#343 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:51 pm

Papi_swav wrote:They're saying Thibs is a candidate for the Nets. CHRIST NO !!! Hope it's just speculation.

Irving would fall apart under Thibs, he runs players into the ground. Absolutely not
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Truebiscuit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,005

Post#344 » by Truebiscuit » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:14 pm

Bulls fan, I come in peace... wanted to get your thoughts on Kenny Atkinson. I thought what he did for your team and its culture was nothing short of outstanding. Were there any major complaints about him as a head coach? If I'm not mistaken, he did not like the mid-range 2 which upset some players.
Working on becoming Titletown:
Bears - 9
Bulls - 6
Blackhawks - 6
Cubs - 3
White Sox - nobody cares :D
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#345 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:24 pm

Truebiscuit wrote:Bulls fan, I come in peace... wanted to get your thoughts on Kenny Atkinson. I thought what he did for your team and its culture was nothing short of outstanding. Were there any major complaints about him as a head coach? If I'm not mistaken, he did not like the mid-range 2 which upset some players.

Main KA negatives:
1) Slow to make adjustments in-game. He's stubborn and usually like the stick to his pregame plan(which is usually good tbh) instead of switching things on the fly. He's honestly stubborn in general
2) He only like 3pt shots or shots at the rim. He seriously hates the mid-range. Might make exceptions for certain players but even then still pushes for more 3's/rim attacks.
3) Questionable time out usage. Let's teams go on long runs sometimes without using time outs.
4) Sometimes he ice's his hot players by benching them(for long stretches) when they are cooking.
5) He def has his favorites and its frustrating when his fav players gets more play time than another player that is playing better.
6) Nets gave up TONS of leads(especially in the 4th Q). Some of it is dumb mistakes by players but a lot of it is on Kenny as well.

KA is great coach and should be a good fit for the Bulls. He'll def improve culture, work ethic, preparedness, excellent offense scheme, modernize the franchise/coaching philosophies and help develop young players. However, I have reservations if he'll be a championship level coach unless he fixes/adjusts a bit.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#346 » by Claud » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:20 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:
Truebiscuit wrote:Bulls fan, I come in peace... wanted to get your thoughts on Kenny Atkinson. I thought what he did for your team and its culture was nothing short of outstanding. Were there any major complaints about him as a head coach? If I'm not mistaken, he did not like the mid-range 2 which upset some players.

Main KA negatives:
1) Slow to make adjustments in-game. He's stubborn and usually like the stick to his pregame plan(which is usually good tbh) instead of switching things on the fly. He's honestly stubborn in general
2) He only like 3pt shots or shots at the rim. He seriously hates the mid-range. Night make exceptions for certain players but even then still pushes for more 3's/rim attacks.
3) Questionable time out usage. Let's teams go on long runs sometimes without using time outs.
4) Sometimes he ice's his hot players by benching them(for long stretches) when they are cooking.
5) He def has his favorites and its frustrating when his fav players gets more play time than another player that is playing better.
6) Nets gave up TONS of leads(especially in the 4th Q). Some of it is dumb mistakes by players but a lot of it is on Kenny as well.

KA is great coach and should be a good fit for the Bulls. He'll def improve culture, work ethic, preparedness, excellent offense scheme, modernize the franchise/coaching philosophies and help develop young players. However, I have reservations of his he'll be a championship level coach unless he fixes/adjusts a bit.

Very good summary of Kenny. I agree 100%.

He would be a great choice for a young talented team that is under-performing. Would love to see Kenny with the Pels or Bulls.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#347 » by Arsenal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Would Kenny Atkinson be a good fit for the Sixers? We're in desperate need of a great coach to fix the utter mess our front office has made in the last few years.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#348 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Arsenal wrote:Would Kenny Atkinson be a good fit for the Sixers? We're in desperate need of a great coach to fix the utter mess our front office has made in the last few years.

In all honestly feel he’s at best a mediocre fit for the Sixers, especially as currently constructed.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#349 » by Sharcm1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:03 pm

He would make them play hard. Something they might need.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#350 » by Arsenal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:03 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Would Kenny Atkinson be a good fit for the Sixers? We're in desperate need of a great coach to fix the utter mess our front office has made in the last few years.

In all honestly feel he’s at best a mediocre fit for the Sixers, especially as currently constructed.

Why, because we have no 3 point shooting?
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Post#351 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:09 pm

The first thing Kenny would do is force Ben to take jumpshots in games to expand his overall game. Do you think Ben would buy in?

Embiid probably wouldn't get many post up opportunities in Kenny's system since he believes in threes and rim attacks are the most efficient ways to generate offense. How efficient has Simmons and Embiid been in the pick and roll?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#352 » by Arsenal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:13 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

The first thing Kenny would do is force Ben to take jumpshots in games to expand his overall game. Do you think Ben would buy in?

Embiid probably wouldn't get many post up opportunities in Kenny's system since he believes in threes and rim attacks are the most efficient ways to generate offense. How efficient has Simmons and Embiid been in the pick and roll?

What you are saying he would do is exactly what we need. A big problem was that Ben was coddled by Brett Brown. We NEED someone who will force him to shoot. If Kenny is that guy, then sign him now!
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#353 » by DarkXaero » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:29 pm

Not for that roster. Kenny has a preference for perimeter centric offenses, Sixers are far from one.

Return to Brooklyn Nets