ImageImageImage

Young players have made huge strides during lockdown. We need to sign the right ones in FA.

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Young players have made huge strides during lockdown. We need to sign the right ones in FA. 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:34 pm

Looking at how some of these guys like Mitchell, Doncic, Burke, and other young guys seemingly have grown during the break its like an entire extra offseason of growth. Its insane to think about, but we're seeing young players who have moved ahead a year with an extra offseason to work on their games and skillset.... study the NBA and become smarter and better players.

When you think about the fact that most people can't travel outside the country or do much besides stay at home, it makes sense that players are seeing that some young players are seeing some really great growth.

I have high hopes that we will also see some insane growth in our young guys like Luke, Brown, Svi, Sekou.

That said, during free agency, especially from the teams that didn't make it to the bubble, there are going to be some really good young FA steals possible. I think its safe to say, if these players don't get a chance to display the work they have put into their games, that there will be some highly underpaid young players that have big years beyond the smaller contracts they sign based on their pre-pandemic play. These are the types of players we should be considering going after.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Re: Young players have made huge strides during lockdown. We need to sign the right ones in FA. 

Post#2 » by rmfc » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:31 pm

bstein14 wrote:insane growth in our young guys like Luke, Brown, Svi, Sekou.

By this logic, every one in the NBA should see insane growth. Outside of Sekou (we will see what happens with him this season), no "young" player on this roster has even average starter potential. We have seen enough already.

EDIT: Players like Doncic and Mitchell were always considered players with elite potential. Our own players are barely average level potential. They were never considered players with elite potential by anyone (excluding homers, player fans).
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Re: Young players have made huge strides during lockdown. We need to sign the right ones in FA. 

Post#3 » by bstein14 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:57 pm

rmfc wrote:
bstein14 wrote:insane growth in our young guys like Luke, Brown, Svi, Sekou.

By this logic, every one in the NBA should see insane growth. Outside of Sekou (we will see what happens with him this season), no "young" player on this roster has even average starter potential. We have seen enough already.

EDIT: Players like Doncic and Mitchell were always considered players with elite potential. Our own players are barely average level potential. They were never considered players with elite potential by anyone (excluding homers, player fans).

I think you're going to see the most growth from younger guys in years 2/3/4. I think its just giving them the time to better add to their skillsets. I don't think its something you're going to see huge growth from someone like Blake.

That said, I agree this gives several younger teams a better chance at taking a jump forward. Look at the Suns, who were one of the younger teams in the bubble and how well they did once they got there. You could tell they had young players working on their game. Alternatively, Zion appeared to have added even more weight to his body and perhaps he doesn't have the work ethic to really be great. He might be more Shaq than Kobe when it comes to his drive to be great.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#4 » by chrbal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:16 pm

Trey Burke could have made sense for us last season or even when the sixers cut him. I don’t think he helps us moving forward because I feel like he’s better in spurts.

I think the pistons should look to add some young free agents this offseason looking to prove themselves, but I wouldn’t go nuts. Sign maybe 2 or 3 younger guys looking to prove themselves/clearer path at playing time to smallish 2 year deals ( or 1 plus 1s).

But I still think we are better off helping other teams shed salary for whatever draft capital we can add.

Boston and Minnesota have 3 picks this draft and a lot of players already under contract.
Also a lot of teams could be above the luxury tax line and in danger of paying the repeater tax
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#5 » by detroitKG » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:00 am

Pistons Talk on twitter posting some clips from the scrimmages..

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#6 » by Pharaoh » Fri Oct 9, 2020 7:53 am

detroitKG wrote:Pistons Talk on twitter posting some clips from the scrimmages..

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Would be nice to find the full footage

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#7 » by Billl » Fri Oct 9, 2020 1:42 pm

I'm still waiting on one beat writer to say a young player stunk it up in these off season workouts.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#8 » by rmfc » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:42 pm

Billl wrote:I'm still waiting on one beat writer to say a young player stunk it up in these off season workouts.

You remember those Jason Maxiell articles every off-season/preseason?
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#9 » by vic » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:53 pm

Pgotf: Luke Kennard
Backup pgotf: Jordan Bone
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#10 » by DBC10 » Fri Oct 9, 2020 6:49 pm

I like Sekou's shot. It's pretty darn smooth and not too high of a release too. If he works on that even more, he can potentially light it up behind the arc.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,610

Post#11 » by Snakebites » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:15 pm

Alright, the preseason "everything is wonderful" hype train started right on schedule despite the delay to the start of the season. That's comforting.

Though we did miss the summertime "all of our draft picks are the second coming" summer league bash, obviously due to the draft being delayed.

Baby steps, baby steps.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#12 » by vege » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:01 pm

Boone/Kennard/Svi/Sekou/Wood seems like a lock to be a championship contender and a possible dinasty. Our future looks great. Not to mention our new future hall of fame GM.
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#13 » by TPA » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:13 pm

Our draft pick is undoubtedly a ROY frontrunner.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#14 » by The_Irony » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:07 pm

detroitKG wrote:Pistons Talk on twitter posting some clips from the scrimmages..

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This is what i expect them to look like...in a scrimmage and unfortunately there is nothing to be excited about here. Combined with Detroit having a bottom 3-5 talent pool, its a not so subtle reminder how horrible the Stan regime has put this franchise.

At the very least we should have Sekou and KPJ to overhype so Stefanski isnt all the way in the clear. They cannot blow the 7th pick.

Return to Detroit Pistons