ImageImageImage

The Jarrett Culver Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#641 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:59 am

jpatrick wrote:Obviously shooting is the swing skill for Culver. His form wasn’t great last year with a slow release; and let’s not forget the disaster he was on the free thrown line. However, I had forgotten That in the last 30 games or so, he had shot 37-38% from three. Not on huge volume, but it’s definitely progress.

He had some improved looking moments later in the season because he was finally getting development minutes strictly off bench roles in more games with more limited assigned tasks. It was wiser. Occasionally they still gave him too much on the plate and the results would drop again. I'm not going to accept a final stretch of 30 games was better at many things, or overstating his stats. He shot 45% FG and 36.1% 3FG over his final 30 games. Yes that was still an improvement outside the FT%.

It was a classic need to slow roll it for the rookie and limit what they were asking him to do yet. Why they couldn't have kept the 16-18 minute games his number all season I just can't fathom. Probably somehow team PR calling the shots demanding more court time and even Starts for the new pick.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#642 » by packforfreedom » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:36 am

I think he's as good as gone. Rosas will use him as an asset as long as he holds some value. Can't see a guy who's such a bad shooter sticking around when Rosas is in charge.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#643 » by jpatrick » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:09 pm

packforfreedom wrote:I think he's as good as gone. Rosas will use him as an asset as long as he holds some value. Can't see a guy who's such a bad shooter sticking around when Rosas is in charge.

Begs the question why he was someone Rosas moved up for in the first place. His shot form was bad at Texas Tech too.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#644 » by minimus » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:15 pm

Culver and Tyler Bey
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#645 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:19 pm

minimus wrote:

Culver and Tyler Bey

Thanks for the link. Do you know when this was taken?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#646 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:21 pm

packforfreedom wrote:I think he's as good as gone. Rosas will use him as an asset as long as he holds some value. Can't see a guy who's such a bad shooter sticking around when Rosas is in charge.

If we draft Edwards somebody is gone. Beasley, Culver or Okogie.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#647 » by jpatrick » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:25 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

Culver and Tyler Bey

Thanks for the link. Do you know when this was taken?

Good question. Culver’s shot form looks the same as last year in the video with the elongated follow through.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#648 » by NebWolvesFan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:27 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

If we draft Edwards, I'm gone. I can't take watching another rookie launch 20 bad shots a game. I lived through Wiggins. I'm not living through Edwards. But to answer your question, Beasley will be gone.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#649 » by Worm Guts » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:46 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

If we draft Edwards, I'm gone. I can't take watching another rookie launch 20 bad shots a game. I lived through Wiggins. I'm not living through Edwards. But to answer your question, Beasley will be gone.

I always thought Wiggins was coached up to shoot as a rookie, he was pretty passive coming out of Kansas. With Edwards, I think it's the opposite issue, he's going to have to be coached to be more selective with his shots.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#650 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:55 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I'm in the Wiseman or Okongwu camp myself, but don't be too quick to jump ship over Edwards. There are lots of examples of college chuckers who get more efficient in the NBA.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#651 » by Dewey » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:27 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:If we draft Edwards somebody is gone. Beasley, Culver or Okogie.

I'm in the Wiseman or Okongwu camp myself, but don't be too quick to jump ship over Edwards. There are lots of examples of college chuckers who get more efficient in the NBA.

I’m Real high on okungwu and I get the ?? on Edwards, but at this point, I don’t think I could write off anyone yet until we get to see workouts and hold interviews. A new/good teammate that fills a need is simply all we can ask right now
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#652 » by Jedzz » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:16 am

Worm Guts wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:If we draft Edwards somebody is gone. Beasley, Culver or Okogie.

I always thought Wiggins was coached up to shoot as a rookie, he was pretty passive coming out of Kansas. With Edwards, I think it's the opposite issue, he's going to have to be coached to be more selective with his shots.

Wiggins was in the 12 FGA range at Kansas.

Culver was in the 9 and 15 FGA range at Texas Tech. I saw Culver like a Stanley Johnson type player (currently Raptors-former #8 overall) who was in the 10-11 FGA range at Arizona. Led his team but more like a SG/SF.

Edwards was in the 15+-16 FGA range at Georgia with 7.7 3FGA/g, highest for both.

Wiggins big 12, Culver big 12, Stanley Johnson pac 12
Edwards SEC
They all seem more like small forwards, maybe Edwards has more guard ball skills than these others. None shooting at highest accuracy levels.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#653 » by Neeva » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:46 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Bye, Antman has a 50/50 chance he becomes the wolves version of Mitchell. I will take the chances. If he has a rookie year similar to Wiggins he won’t be here long (unless he shows something really special). trade for Booker is invitable (like the DLO trade)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#654 » by Klomp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:32 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#655 » by Neeva » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:35 pm

On his way to MIP award, please god.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#656 » by TheProdigy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:53 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

It looks like it's a more fluid motion. His shot last year had a hitch between the wind-up and release. Hopefully he gets that right elbow tucked in a bit too.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#657 » by Mattya » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:30 pm

That shot looks infinitely smoother. Hopefully it translates.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#658 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:41 pm

TheProdigy wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

It looks like it's a more fluid motion. His shot last year had a hitch between the wind-up and release. Hopefully he gets that right elbow tucked in a bit too.

I sure hope so and appreciate all the positivity here this morning. I'm the Debbie Downer not getting too much out of one shot in an 8 second video. I'm hoping, but skeptical. On the other hand I did get a bit psyched over a Wiseman 6 second video with a crossover. :crazy:
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 363

Post#659 » by gandlogo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:09 pm

That kid still has a great NBA body. And not only do his mechanics look better, I wonder if they changed how much he jumps on threes now? One of his problems was he shot on the way down. Less of a jump now - less chance of shooting on the way down. It's like a big leg kick for a hitter in baseball. Sometimes changing that to a short leg kick can dramatically improve that hitter's results.

And in a weird way, COVID could actually have been a blessing to guys like Culver and Reid. They were both thrown in at different points of their rookie seasons because the team had limited options (a bad team with no depth will do that). During the throws of an NBA season players do not have a lot of time to work on individual skills. With the team not in the playoffs, individuals have more time to actually work on their individual skills.

The team also gets to evaluate their progress too - which may impact its decisions regarding draft and free agency.

Hats off to Naz too, because by the looks of his face he's been able to keep his body weight where he can be most productive.

Definitely feeling like the cup is more than half full today (meds must be working)!
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#660 » by Neeva » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:18 pm

gandlogo wrote:That kid still has a great NBA body. And not only do his mechanics look better, I wonder if they changed how much he jumps on threes now? One of his problems was he shot on the way down. Less of a jump now - less chance of shooting on the way down. It's like a big leg kick for a hitter in baseball. Sometimes changing that to a short leg kick can dramatically improve that hitter's results.

And in a weird way, COVID could actually have been a blessing to guys like Culver and Reid. They were both thrown in at different points of their rookie seasons because the team had limited options (a bad team with no depth will do that). During the throws of an NBA season players do not have a lot of time to work on individual skills. With the team not in the playoffs, individuals have more time to actually work on their individual skills.

The team also gets to evaluate their progress too - which may impact its decisions regarding draft and free agency.

Hats off to Naz too, because by the looks of his face he's been able to keep his body weight where he can be most productive.

Definitely feeling like the cup is more than half full today (meds must be working)!

Same here and now Im optimistic about playoffs next year and wanting to trade picks, to become a better overall team and get better depth.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves