ImageImage

Free agents potentially of-interest

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Re: Free agents potentially of-interest 

Post#61 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:57 am

Jamaaliver wrote:How about this guy as our backup PF?

Jerami Grant

Jerami Grant is apparently leaning toward declining his $9.3 million player option, a decision that suggests he can get more than the MLE, or that he's fine with signing a long-term deal at a near-identical annual salary.

The Denver Nuggets will be in a bizarre position if he explores free agency. They can pay him more than anyone, but his fit hasn't proved seamless. He's nailing 40 percent of his treys and is one of the few players who can capably defend four to five positions, and yet, his on-off numbers aren't pretty. Denver is 8.6 points per 100 possessions worse on defense with him in the game and losing the minutes he plays with Nikola Jokic.

Wonky splits aren't end-all barometers. Grant hasn't played poorly...and at age 26, he might consider playing for a one-year balloon payment.
Bleacher Report

Good choice, except.....

1. He wants to start, not gonna displace Collins. Possible he could start at SF, but you have a lot more young talent at that position.

2. He wants to play for a contender and while the Hawks are definitely on an upswing, over-paying for Grant isn't getting you into contender status, may playoffs but seems like a step-back for his desires.

3. With the salary cap regressing, ATL's caps space could/should be directed toward bigger steps, more than a bench player. Also, to avoid taking a step back in the West, DEN needs to keep a player like Grant, can offer him a starting position, was/is starting to take a stronger role in the Jokic-offense and might get a bit of a smaller raise ($12-14Myr range, a $2-4M raise over his $9.6 PO) while the Nuggets continue to develop some good potential talent in MPJ and Bol Bol.

Homer thoughts, hope you can appreciate the thought process without any perceived insults, as not were intended. I do like the idea of you going after Malik Beasley, he's much better potential on both ends of the court IMO, and I watch Malone keep him on the bench without any good reason,
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#62 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:39 am

I'm aware of what Grant's said publicly about leaning toward opting out. But if he does, and if there have, indeed, been some verbal behind-the-scenes discussions had, I strongly suspect those discussions have been with DEN, and for some of the reasons stated immediately above.

In fact, all of those are valid points, imo. What the DEN poster wouldn't necessarily know is that Schlenk has been candid in recent months that he's going to be looking for players who can challenge the current starters, and who are mid-career. And before, Schlenk has candidly spoken about the importance of being able to add a key high-caliber veteran just before one's cap space becomes an issue. He offered GSW's acquisition of Iggy as an example.

Virtually no one in this free agent class qualifies. And the ones who do are likely to end up in either LA (Davis) or in NY (Ingram), which has nearly as much space as ATL, assuming NOP doesn't resign him.

So, the alternatives are to roll the dice in a trade now, or roll the dice on the next free agent marketplace, which yes has more intriguing high-caliber talent, but also will have nearly the entire league's GMs at the table with serious cap space. And if we assume that Collins' contract situation will impact Schlenk's ability to maneuver in next summer's market, it just makes it that much more imperative to consider doing something sooner instead of later.
skywalker33

Post#63 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:42 am

You correct, I am not privy to what Schlenk may or may not have said, one thing that does stand out is if ATL does sign Grant and he does displace Collins in the starting lineup, what does that do for your chance to resign Collins when he becomes a FA ?? Surely HE wants to start and if he felt that easily replaced, could be difficult. Guess you could move Grant over to SF but you just drafted Hunter there, but talent can be moved.

Just my opinion, but over the course of his next contract, I feel Denver has a much better chance of winning a championship than does ATL. I also feel there are a few other options including DEN, MIA perhaps even NOP that could all offer better contender opportunities than ATL. That said, I only wish I could see the future, I'd own the stock market if it were so.......
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#64 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:53 pm

In the what-if scenario that Grant ended up somehow in ATL in spite of all the reasons he shouldn't, (a) an often overlooked but important fact is that, for most teams, a player might not start, but may still earn starters' minutes (~30) as long as he's part of a 7 or 8 player rotation; and (b) some (not me) believe Collins could be more valuable as a trade piece, and it is true that last time Schlenk had this same sort of situation, he did find an offer he liked, and moved on from Taurean Prince.
skywalker33

Post#65 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:53 pm

Well, Schlenk talks like a he wants to keep the town engaged but when the cap and income go awry going into next season again, do you really think he's going to want to be paying the kinda money you're talking about to a potential bench guy ?? I just think this new Salary Cap is gonna be more impactful on 2nd tier free agents than you think.

_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#66 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:11 pm

1) I think Schlenk will pay what the market dictates, which indeed, almost certainly will contract rather than expand over the next 12 months, and thus given his luxury of being one of the few teams with significant cap space, there could be some bargains simply b/c he can pay slightly more than most.

2) Based on what he's said, it seems oblivious to think his priority list starts with anything but the top-most tier of players who his peers are willing to talk about trading; and of course, it goes without saying, he'll make the phone call to AD's agent and to Ingram's agent, just to make sure he doesn't presume too much and miss an opportunity there.

3) Only after Schlenk is satisfied that he's exhausted the options in the top-most tier realm will he turn his attention to some lesser options.

Having said that, he did comment specifically that he perceives there is some number of players who have just finished their rookie contracts, thus RFAs, and who he considers to be ripe to elevate their game to some level of significance that wasn't achieved in their first years. An earlier analysis of the best RFAs he might possibly be talking about rendered these as the best bets as to who he might have been referencing:

- Kris Dunn
- Malik Beasley
- Brandon Ingram
- Dario Saric
- Jakob Poeltl

Poeltl, in particular, stands out because it was widely reported in February that he was someone Schlenk had trade discussions about, and there is going to be a need to fill one slot on the depth chart among the bigs.

4) It stands to reason that Schlenk will turn his attention to Grant and other similar options only after he's (a) turned over every rock and, ideally, made that Iggy-type (by definition, big-money) acquisition, and (b) waded into the RFA market and, ideally, acquired whoever is at the top of his list there, and maybe even two.

Whether there's enough cap space left after those moves to add a Grant--who, there's little argument from my perspective would be a tremendous get and exceptional fit--is a real question.
skywalker33

Post#67 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:37 pm

I'm not so sure all the free agents are going to wait around while ATL makes it's decisions, but it's a nice dream, hope Schlenk's koolaid is tasty. I also, as you have pointed out with Grant, believe the teams that want to keep their own free agents have already discussed potential "what it would take" deals which may be detrimental to your option 4. If money is comparable, then other qualifiers like playoff, TV exposure, etc will come into play as well.

The Hawks have never been THE biggest draw down in ATL and much like DEN, I see the Hawks as a team that needs to build thru the draft and trades, hard for me to see many top-tier free agents beating down Schlenk's door. We could debate more, I do appreciate the banter but in the long run, we'll just both have to take our ouija boards and wait until the offseason, I'm waiting for the results of what I hope will be another good showing in this playoff* run.

_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#68 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:30 pm

skywalker33 wrote:I'm not so sure all the free agents are going to wait around while ATL makes it's decisions, but it's a nice dream, hope Schlenk's koolaid is tasty.

Two thoughts.

1) Not sure that we'd be talking very much time involved, at least insofar as it concerns the scenario I've suggested is consistent with Schlenk's previous comments.

- Calling AD and Ingram's agents to affirm what is conventionally likely would take 5-10 minutes.
- ATL has sufficient cap space to make multiple RFA offers at the same time if Schlenk would choose (though, I don't think there would be more than one, me)
- There now is a 48 hour clock on RFA offers being met or not, which for any UFA interested to see what the team with the most cap space might put on the table, isn't much waiting

2) That last point is it's own major point--when six teams total have any cap space to speak of, and only two of those have something approaching 50% of the entire salary cap, it is a buyer's market like plausibly none other in NBA history. It is reasonable to think agents will be loathe to recommend signing until it is clear that the deepest pockets have no interest in their clients.

skywalker33 wrote:The Hawks have never been THE biggest draw down in ATL and much like DEN, I see the Hawks as a team that needs to build thru the draft and trades, hard for me to see many top-tier free agents beating down Schlenk's door.

Again, we're on the same page. Schlenk's capacity in 2020 to attract a top tier free agent is limited by inventory. AD and Ingram are the only options, and not likely to end up in ATL. Schlenk's capacity in 2021 to do so is limited by the fact that there will be so many more GMs with similar cap space at the table.

Hence... Schlenk's only best option is the trade market. And that doesn't necessarily have to wait until draft night. The Prince trade was reported weeks ahead of draft night 2019, and the higher ATL's draft pick ends up on lottery night, the more active Travis Schlenk's cell phone probably will be for the succeeding several days.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,339

Post#69 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:53 pm

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#70 » by Spud2nique » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don’t like this cheap shot artist Gallo, plus he’s always hurt and doesn’t fit our time, will take reps away from young, nah, I’m good on him.
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#71 » by Radioblacktive1 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:11 am

I really like Harry Giles
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#72 » by jayu70 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 3:40 pm

Thoughts?
Read on Twitter
?s=20
myrak433
Sixth Man
And1: 226

Post#73 » by myrak433 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 4:11 pm

I like Gallinari (starting at SF), Milsap (backup PF), and Crowder (backup SG,SF,and PF).
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#74 » by kg01 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 4:27 pm

jayu70 wrote:Thoughts?
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Thoughts? I think Crowder's reputation is unearned. Pass unless for dirt a** cheap.

Get me Millsap though. That's the vet presence we need.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 5, 2020 4:51 pm

myrak433 wrote:I like Gallinari (starting at SF), Millsap (backup PF), and Crowder (backup SG,SF,and PF).

Adding those 3 alongside Capela and Dedmon while keeping our young 3 wings? That feels like a deep, veteran, surefire playoff team.

Maybe a 2nd round team if we get the right draw.

Is it worth compromising any possible chance at a better FA haul in 2021?

I honestly don't know. But we'd immediately be improved.
myrak433
Sixth Man
And1: 226

Post#76 » by myrak433 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 6:14 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
myrak433 wrote:I like Gallinari (starting at SF), Millsap (backup PF), and Crowder (backup SG,SF,and PF).

Adding those 3 alongside Capela and Dedmon while keeping our young 3 wings? That feels like a deep, veteran, surefire playoff team.

Maybe a 2nd round team if we get the right draw.

Is it worth compromising any possible chance at a better FA haul in 2021?

I honestly don't know. But we'd immediately be improved.

not sure how much Gallinari and Millsap would command both are 30+. Maybe a 3 year deal around 10M (a year) last year player option, a two year contracted around 12.5M (a year) last year team option or a one year deal at 20M, offer both the same deal. With Crowder offer him 2 year 8M (a year).
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#77 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Aug 5, 2020 10:33 pm

There is practically no way that Nemanja Bjelica's non-guaranteed 3rd year of his contract isn't picked-up, but if through some weird turn of events it wouldn't be, he would make for an ideal frontcourt rotation piece. And I certainly would hope Schlenk would have him on the radar for next summer's free agent market, when it seems fairly plausible we'll be declining Dedmon's non-guaranteed 3rd year and looking to fill the void.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#78 » by Spud2nique » Wed Aug 5, 2020 10:42 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:I really like Harry Giles

I heard he likes you too. :wink:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#79 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:27 pm

Not technically a Free Agent, but someone I'd make a swing at acquiring:

Read on Twitter
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#80 » by saloonyk8 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:29 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Not technically a Free Agent, but someone I'd make a swing at acquiring:

Read on Twitter

He looked terrible in the restart.... But what would it take to get him in Atlanta? I don't think they want Dedmon back, they'll want at least Huerter I imagine
Commit to the process

Return to Atlanta Hawks