Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Re: Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread Part 3 

Post#441 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:34 pm

Any thoughts on trading for this guy?

His contract is too big, but it's structured pretty well. His salary actually descends in value each season -- meaning he'll be making less annually at the end of the contract.

Making him eminently tradable down the line.

Read on Twitter
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#442 » by kg01 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Any thoughts on trading for this guy?

His contract is too big, but it's structured pretty well. His salary actually descends in value each season -- meaning he'll be making less annually at the end of the contract.

I'm afraid the role he's in for the Kings is the role he'd have here. So, would we be bringing in a problem guy?

I'd like us to start establishing a defensive identity this offseason. Hield would not be good for that effort.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#443 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:35 pm

kg01 wrote:I'm afraid the role he's in for the Kings is the role he'd have here. So, would we be bringing in a problem guy?

Perhaps.

I'm envisioning an offensive role for him similar to THJ in Dallas, feasting off the offensive attention Collins & Trae pull -- and making teams pay from deep.

He's easily a 20 ppg scorer in a fast paced offense next to Trae.

Now, I wouldn't give up much value for him. But the fact he'll be making less than $20 million per season by the end of this contract means he can be packaged in another deal down the line if it doesn't work out.
kg01
General Manager

Post#444 » by kg01 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:45 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:I'm afraid the role he's in for the Kings is the role he'd have here. So, would we be bringing in a problem guy?

Perhaps.

I'm envisioning an offensive role for him similar to THJ in Dallas, feasting off the offensive attention Collins & Trae pull -- and making teams pay from deep.

He's easily a 20 ppg scorer in a fast paced offense next to Trae.

Now, I wouldn't give up much value for him. But the fact he'll be making less than $20 million per season by the end of this contract means he can be packaged in another deal down the line if it doesn't work out.

... perhaps. (Did I do it right? Added about a 10% smug factor to my post.)

Isn't that what he's doing in SAC though, just not starting. Isn't that what he's upset about?

I'm not arguing, because I actually don't know. Just asking.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#445 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:08 pm

kg01 wrote:... perhaps. (Did I do it right? Added about a 10% smug factor to my post.)

Isn't that what he's doing in SAC though, just not starting. Isn't that what he's upset about?

Sacramento is a clown show.

I believe that larger role on a more competitive team with a better-run franchise can keep him happy. Also...I'd offer him the starting spot at SG.

I like Reddish and Huerter, but they aren't ready just yet to play an integral role for a playoff bound team.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#446 » by shakes0 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Any thoughts on trading for this guy?

Read on Twitter

no interest at all. He already cried about coming off the bench in Sactown. He's a terrible defender. We don't need a guy like that in any capacity.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,870

Post#447 » by jayu70 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:26 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:... perhaps. (Did I do it right? Added about a 10% smug factor to my post.)

I believe that larger role on a more competitive team with a better-run franchise can keep him happy. Also...I'd offer him the starting spot at SG.

I like Reddish and Huerter, but they aren't ready just yet to play an integral role for a playoff bound team.

I disagree. I think it's more important to find out if our young draft picks can be the catalyst for the playoffs supplemented by an nba quality bench. Find out if they are part of the building blocks or not.
Now Schlenck did say, competition amongst the young players if he trades for one is a good thing. So just having Heild start particularly when he was demoted and not play defense is a non starter for me.
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#448 » by saloonyk8 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:34 pm

I'm guessing the cost of moving up from 6 to 1 would be Hunter OR Huerter and a future first round pick to get Edwards. I wonder if Schlenk would love him enough to do that.
Commit to the process
saloonyk8
Rookie

Post#449 » by saloonyk8 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:35 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I disagree. I think it's more important to find out if our young draft picks can be the catalyst for the playoffs supplemented by an nba quality bench. Find out if they are part of the building blocks or not.
Now Schlenck did say, competition amongst the young players if he trades for one is a good thing. So just having Heild start particularly when he was demoted and not play defense is a non starter for me.

Hield would a great third wheel on an established team like Lakers or a playoff type team. His lack of defense doesn't feel that exciting to add on current team. Plus, he's not going to be traded in a salary dump. You would need to trade D Hunter OR Huerter.
Commit to the process
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#450 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:41 pm

Every NBA Team's Dream Offseason Trade Target

Atlanta Hawks: SG Jrue Holiday

In order to be considered true playoff contenders in the East next season, the young Hawks will need to develop quickly or trade for an All-Star guard who's one of the best two-way players in the league.

A backcourt of Trae Young and Jrue Holiday would be among the best in the conference. A terrific defender, Holiday could take on the toughest assignment every night while allowing Young to save his energy for the offensive end.

Head coach Lloyd Pierce could stagger the minutes between the two, allowing Holiday to play some backup point guard, as well. Playing alongside Lonzo Ball with the New Orleans Pelicans this season, Holiday still ranked 17th in the NBA with 6.7 assists per game, second-best among all shooting guards and trailing only James Harden.

Holiday's 36.4 percent mark on catch-and-shoot threes would help improve Atlanta's league-worst 33.3 percent three-point shooting as a team, and his veteran leadership would also be valuable for a squad losing Vince Carter to retirement.
Bleacher Report
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,870

Post#451 » by jayu70 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:52 pm

saloonyk8 wrote:I'm guessing the cost of moving up from 6 to 1 would be Hunter OR Huerter and a future first round pick to get Edwards. I wonder if Schlenk would love him enough to do that.

And that would be an easy pass from me. Not in this draft. The value to do that is just not there.
ESPN has a 3 way with Wolves/Knicks/Hawks
Minny gets #6 (From Hawks) and 2021 1st from Knicks top 3 protected.
Knicks get #1 (trade 8 and 27)
Hawks get #8 and #27 (from Knicks) for #6.

I don't think #27 is enough to move down 2 spots.
#6 and future 1st from Knicks gets to #1. So Hawks definitely shouldn't be adding Huerter or Hunter.
saloonyk8
Rookie

Post#452 » by saloonyk8 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:04 pm

jayu70 wrote:
saloonyk8 wrote:I'm guessing the cost of moving up from 6 to 1 would be Hunter OR Huerter and a future first round pick to get Edwards. I wonder if Schlenk would love him enough to do that.

And that would be an easy pass from me. Not in this draft. The value to do that is just not there.
ESPN has a 3 way with Wolves/Knicks/Hawks
Minny gets #6 (From Hawks) and 2021 1st from Knicks top 3 protected.
Knicks get #1 (trade 8 and 27)
Hawks get #8 and #27 (from Knicks) for #6.

I don't think #27 is enough to move down 2 spots.
#6 and future 1st from Knicks gets to #1. So Hawks definitely shouldn't be adding Huerter or Hunter.

If trading #6 and a future first with similar protection to that Mavs pick gets us Anthony Edwards I would be in favor of that. I'm really hoping we have a playoff team or at least close next year without this pick.

Getting #27 seems worthless TBH, we have a ton of young project guys I see no value in another rookie at the end of first round.
Commit to the process
kg01
General Manager

Post#453 » by kg01 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:10 pm

Jamius Ramsey will be better than Edwards and he'll likely go in round 2. But ya'll want to burn assets to trade up? :cry:
saloonyk8
Rookie

Post#454 » by saloonyk8 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:01 pm

kg01 wrote:Jamius Ramsey will be better than Edwards and he'll likely go in round 2. But ya'll want to burn assets to trade up? :cry:

Schlenk burned assets to move up to get D Hunter. If he thinks Edwards is the man I got no issues with it.

Star based league, mid first round picks hard to nail as stars.
Commit to the process
kg01
General Manager

Post#455 » by kg01 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:32 pm

saloonyk8 wrote:
kg01 wrote:Jamius Ramsey will be better than Edwards and he'll likely go in round 2. But ya'll want to burn assets to trade up? :cry:

Schlenk burned assets to move up to get D Hunter. If he thinks Edwards is the man I got no issues with it.

Star based league, mid first round picks hard to nail as stars.

The Hunter trade is a cautionary tale for why you never burn assets to reach for a role-player.

2020 isn't a "star" draft, it's a role-player draft. The guy taken at 10 is likely in a similar tier as the dude taken at 2 or 3.

The "star" draft is next year, which is why '21 picks are so coveted and shouldn't be traded.

And, let's be honest, the Hawks aren't looking for a star in this draft. For better or worse, we have our offensive engine. Our needs are secondary playmaker and defensive help. If whoever we draft ends up being a star, so be it. But there's absolutely no need to reach for one.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#456 » by King Ken » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:03 pm

Atlanta isn't trading up and no, Ramsey is not better or going to be better than Edwards
kg01
General Manager

Post#457 » by kg01 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:18 pm

King Ken wrote:

Atlanta isn't trading up and no, Ramsey is not better or going to be better than Edwards

Eh, I think they're both gonna be pretty bad. But one will get chances, the other won't.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#458 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:32 pm

^TBF, kg...

you think every player is complete and utter garbage until they put on a Hawks jersey.
kg01
General Manager

Post#459 » by kg01 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:47 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^TBF, kg...

you think every player is complete and utter garbage until they put on a Hawks jersey.

*gasp*

This is an untruth, Frank (get it? "TBF" haha).

I like plenty of players. There's ... that one guy. And the other one ... the one with the face. The one that plays in that city. You know who I mean. 8-)

Players I like: Giannis, Brogdon, Kawhi, Siakim, FVV, J. Brown, Adebayo, Kev. Porter, Jr., Millsap, Lillard, Westbrook, Sabonis, St. Adams, D. Murray (SAS), I actually like Lebron (now), Beasley, Lo. Ball (surprisingly), Kleber.

I'm generally not a fan of guys not on the Hawks from the standpoint of I don't root for them. I like a lot of players' games though. When they become Hawks, I kinda have to find a way to 'like' them. I don't think that's unfair.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#460 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:49 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Does everybody here value Reddish over Hunter and Huerter?

Cam Reddish is a work in progress, but he has the highest ceiling of those three players. His potential is MUCH greater than his current trade value.

Huerter and Hunter profile as elite, deep shooting role players.

So...yeah. The consensus is Trae and Cam Reddish are currently off limits. (Subject to change.)

Return to Atlanta Hawks