ImageImageImage

what pick are the Cavs going to have after the drawing?

Moderator: ijspeelman

which pick we getting?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:23 pm

No votes
40%
No votes
No votes
20%
40%

Total votes: 5

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Re: what pick are the Cavs going to have after the drawing? 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:30 am

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I just hope that whoever the like, they keep it to themselves, or better yet, lie.

Are you implying the Hawks traded up to #4 last year to steal Hunter from us?

We'd been sending out smokescreens that we were going to draft a PG in theory to encourage one of the teams that needed a PG to trade up with us, and as it turned out - we did take a PG and we didn't trade him.

It shouldn't be that hard to find 5 players in the draft we'd want on the team.
I hope that's now how it worked. We got calls on Garland. The Wolves traded up thinking that there was no way we'd take him. After we got jumped, several teams called, including the Wolves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,380

Post#22 » by JonFromVA » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I just hope that whoever the like, they keep it to themselves, or better yet, lie.

We'd been sending out smokescreens that we were going to draft a PG in theory to encourage one of the teams that needed a PG to trade up with us, and as it turned out - we did take a PG and we didn't trade him.

I hope that's now how it worked. We got calls on Garland. The Wolves traded up thinking that there was no way we'd take him. After we got jumped, several teams called, including the Wolves.

The TWolves signed Rubio a week before the draft, so, they made sure they wouldn't be too desperate to sign a point and if they called, apparently their offer (Culver + whatever) wasn't very enticing.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by jbk1234 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:30 am

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The TWolves signed Rubio a week before the draft, so, they made sure they wouldn't be too desperate to sign a point and if they called, apparently their offer (Culver + whatever) wasn't very enticing.
Rubio is on the Suns.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#24 » by JonFromVA » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:51 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote: I hope that's now how it worked. We got calls on Garland. The Wolves traded up thinking that there was no way we'd take him. After we got jumped, several teams called, including the Wolves.

Rubio is on the Suns.

I was just off by a decade ...

Looks like they rode with Teague before eventually trading for Russell and managed to dump Wiggins and keep Culver.

If the Cavs drafted Garland to trade him right away they badly miscalculated. I don't have a problem giving them the benefit of the doubt on that as there were plenty of reasons to like him over Culver/etc.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:42 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Rubio is on the Suns.

Looks like they rode with Teague before eventually trading for Russell and managed to dump Wiggins and keep Culver.

If the Cavs drafted Garland to trade him right away they badly miscalculated. I don't have a problem giving them the benefit of the doubt on that as there were plenty of reasons to like him over Culver/etc.

They reportedly had multiple calls when he fell to them including from the Wovles. With the benefit of hindsight, maybe they should've taken one. But, Culver projects out as an average starting guard to me. A bit better than average on the defensive side of the ball and bit worse than that on the offensive side. Same with Coby White. Clarke is probably the best player taken after Garland an some of the bloom is off that rose. I'm not kicking the Cavs for taking him given how everything transpired, but he has to at least rehabilitate some of his trade value off the bench and he should absolutely not be playing alongside Sexton for any length of time.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#26 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:26 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Rubio is on the Suns.

They reportedly had multiple calls when he fell to them including from the Wovles. With the benefit of hindsight, maybe they should've taken one. But, Culver projects out as an average starting guard to me. A bit better than average on the defensive side of the ball and bit worse than that on the offensive side. Same with Coby White. Clarke is probably the best player taken after Garland an some of the bloom is off that rose. I'm not kicking the Cavs for taking him given how everything transpired, but he has to at least rehabilitate some of his trade value off the bench and he should absolutely not be playing alongside Sexton for any length of time.

Delly was averaging nearly 10apg playing next to Collin at the end of the season. I love Delly and hope we keep him, but I don't think I'd start him over continuing to funnel development minutes to Garland, and unless Collin takes some big steps I don't think he's ready to run the offense by himself.

I am assuming Garland has been working on his strength and conditioning this Summer and will enter this season in far better shape to deal with the physicality of the league than coming off injury last year. I'm also assuming Garland and Sexton can learn to play-off each other better with more time/practice. In other words, I'd give them another go together before deciding they needed to be broken up.

It'll also be interesting to see what JBB does, but it's worth noting he didn't shake things up when he took over the job and continued to use the players Altman wanted him to play and they went 3-3 for the short stretch before they lost Garland.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:17 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Delly was averaging nearly 10apg playing next to Collin at the end of the season. I love Delly and hope we keep him, but I don't think I'd start him over continuing to funnel development minutes to Garland, and unless Collin takes some big steps I don't think he's ready to run the offense by himself.

I am assuming Garland has been working on his strength and conditioning this Summer and will enter this season in far better shape to deal with the physicality of the league than coming off injury last year. I'm also assuming Garland and Sexton can learn to play-off each other better with more time/practice. In other words, I'd give them another go together before deciding they needed to be broken up.

It'll also be interesting to see what JBB does, but it's worth noting he didn't shake things up when he took over the job and continued to use the players Altman wanted him to play and they went 3-3 for the short stretch before they lost Garland.
If we start Garland and Sexton in the same backcourt again, I don't know man. You can really screw up the development of younger guys trying to force stuff like that.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#28 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:22 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If we start Garland and Sexton in the same backcourt again, I don't know man. You can really screw up the development of younger guys trying to force stuff like that.

If the Cavs ever get past the point of throwing minutes at kids because they have nothing better do with them, I'd expect them to start acting like a real team and tinker the lineups to see what works and what doesn't work. If that's the case, nobody is going to get screwed up. It's just a question of whether it's worth re-visiting how they fit together, and I think it is. I think a lot can change over a Summer for young players, ... even this Summer.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#29 » by Revenged25 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:24 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If the Cavs ever get past the point of throwing minutes at kids because they have nothing better do with them, I'd expect them to start acting like a real team and tinker the lineups to see what works and what doesn't work. If that's the case, nobody is going to get screwed up. It's just a question of whether it's worth re-visiting how they fit together, and I think it is. I think a lot can change over a Summer for young players, ... even this Summer.

Re-visiting and living & dying by it are totally different. I truly think if the Cavs stuck with Sexton/(Delly/Clarkson)/Cedi/Love/TT(eventually Drummond) as the starting line-up with getting Garland & KPJ minutes slowly as they earned them rather than just because, the Cavs would've had a much better record.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#30 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:05 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:If we start Garland and Sexton in the same backcourt again, I don't know man. You can really screw up the development of younger guys trying to force stuff like that.

Re-visiting and living & dying by it are totally different. I truly think if the Cavs stuck with Sexton/(Delly/Clarkson)/Cedi/Love/TT(eventually Drummond) as the starting line-up with getting Garland & KPJ minutes slowly as they earned them rather than just because, the Cavs would've had a much better record.

If we were actually concerned with winning rather than player development, we would have parked both Sexton and Garland on the bench. IMO, we should still be focused on player development, but with Sexton, Garland, Porter Jr, Windler, Dean Wade, and our #5 pick all needing minutes ... it's a trickier puzzle that will hopefully be resolved by the guys who play well and develop chemistry getting more of the minutes.

But with our luck, it'll be resolved by player injury ...
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:17 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I've seen more than enough of that backcourt. I really think it screwed with Garland's confidence.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#32 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:37 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:If we start Garland and Sexton in the same backcourt again, I don't know man. You can really screw up the development of younger guys trying to force stuff like that.

I've seen more than enough of that backcourt. I really think it screwed with Garland's confidence.

*shrugs* I disagree. I thought he dealt with adversity well and tried to do what the coaches asked of him and was showing improvement right up until his injury near the end of the season.

For instance, knowing he was struggling to score in traffic, he quickly switched to a floater and pull-up J and worked on improving that shot throughout the season and reportedly during the off-season too.

He could have just continued to fire up 3's off the dribble like he did in College, but when those shots weren't going in consistently, he dialed it back and focused more on playmaking and shooting as a result of the play - which is what the coaching staff really wanted from him.

He was often overpowered and out-muscled on defense, but that didn't stop him from trying.

I've seen my share of Cavs players who couldn't deal with adversity and they would tend to just keep making the same mistakes without adapting or accepting input. That's not at all what I saw from Darius.

Anyway, what I most want to see is how Darius looks when fully healthy and in NBA shape. If he still looks like the worst guard in the league, by all means ... show him the bench.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#33 » by Revenged25 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:45 pm

You know who dealt best with adversity and continued to improve? Sexton
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:26 pm

Very little I saw last year impressed me tbh. I feel like Sexton getting dragged nationally, and his shots blocked at the rim, forced him to look for his teammates more. I'm not sure I'd call that handling adversity well.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#35 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:56 pm

I dont think Sexton listens to anyone in the media, but if he does it is just fuel to keep working.

I am fine with Sexton as a score first guard that takes what defenses give him instead of forcing the issue and see it as solid improvement on his part ditching the rookie tunnel vision as an improveing player to look for his teammates more. I mean If they find a pass first one that makes more sense or if garland becomes that so be it...I think unless they are really in love with Hayes upside or Halliburtons floor as a true lead guard with better size or are willing to ignore Avdijas defensive weakness' as a secondary playmaker then I am more than confident they will be rolling with the combos another season but having KPJ paired with one or the other and not seeing much of the 2 smallish guards playing together at all. WHich is the other reason why a 2 way player in Vassell at the 2 or 3 and Okoro as an elite 1-4 defender prospect or a 2-5 defender like Okongwu are the real top targets.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers