Breaking: Brett Brown Fired

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,795

Re: Breaking: Brett Brown Fired 

Post#81 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:48 am

Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Atkinson burned a bridge with Dinwiddie, a guy we should pursue aggressively. I’m out on him.

What happened?

https://www.si.com/nba/nets/news/brooklyn-nets-and-kenny-atkinson-mutually-agree-to-part-ways

Could have been similar to Brett Brown's current Ides of March situation, though. Kenny Atkinson was fired like 2 days later.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,680

Post#82 » by stormi » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:53 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Atkinson burned a bridge with Dinwiddie, a guy we should pursue aggressively. I’m out on him.

What happened?

https://www.si.com/nba/nets/news/brooklyn-nets-and-kenny-atkinson-mutually-agree-to-part-ways

Could have been similar to Brett Brown's current Ides of March situation, though. Kenny Atkinson was fired like 2 days later.

Atkinson reportedly let his players have it following a lackluster loss and despite a dominating win over San Antonio, the coach's fate was already sealed.

Sounds like Brett's antithesis
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#83 » by VDT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:53 am

Is Atkinson really a better coach than Brown? I doubt it.

More importantly does the style of basketball he wants to play fit with our roster?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,471

Post#84 » by youngcrev » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:54 am

I heard Atkinson is one of those round earthers. Can't have that nonsense in here.

Seriously though, is it wrong that I don't want Atkinson just because I can't deal with his facial expressions for an entire season?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#85 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:55 am

stormi wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
What happened?

Atkinson reportedly let his players have it following a lackluster loss and despite a dominating win over San Antonio, the coach's fate was already sealed.

Sounds like Brett's antithesis

NGL this makes me like him even more for our current situation. We need a hardass to bring accountability right now.

If he wears out his welcome in a few years but gets the ship in shape before then, I'm good w/it.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#86 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:56 am

VDT wrote:Is Atkinson really a better coach than Brown? I doubt it.

More importantly does the style of basketball he wants to play fit with our roster?

No he wants to play a modern style based on perimeter offense. We need someone who is going to force that issue and modernize our approach.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#87 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:57 am

Kobblehead wrote:
HankTheTank wrote:The Sixers simply aren’t interested in fixing this if they’re sticking with Brand.

It appears that Brand is getting his personnel say stripped away to pave the way to give the next coach GM powers.

Do you have a source for this? If true its the best news we've gotten in a long time!
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,717

Post#88 » by the_process » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:57 am

Kobblehead wrote:
HankTheTank wrote:The Sixers simply aren’t interested in fixing this if they’re sticking with Brand.

It appears that Brand is getting his personnel say stripped away to pave the way to give the next coach GM powers.

How are you inferring this? Or has something been said I missed?
VDT
Analyst

Post#89 » by VDT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:01 am

Arsenal wrote:

No he wants to play a modern style based on perimeter offense. We need someone who is going to force that issue and modernize our approach.

They are both from the Spurs, Brown wanted to run a "modern" offense but it just led to turnovers as we didnt have the personnel to run it.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#90 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:03 am

VDT wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

They are both from the Spurs, Brown wanted to run a "modern" offense but it just led to turnovers as we didnt have the personnel to run it.

Nothing leads to more turnovers than our post heavy offense, especially in the playoffs when teams hack away at will and the zebras swallow their whistles. Obviously we need personnel changes, but to compete a perimeter based offense is not an option, but a necessity.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Post#91 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:06 am

Of course he is.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,119

Post#92 » by eyeatoma » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:12 am

There are currently three threads about what we are doing in the offseason. I'm glad there is a lot of discussion, but can we please merge these threads so everything is in one place, and possibly even sticky it? It's hard to keep track of the discussions. Mods is this possible? Thanks!
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,119

Post#93 » by eyeatoma » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:14 am

Kobblehead wrote:

Of course he is.

I think he's a better coach, but he uses a read react system that we used as well (think we need a totally different offense, with a lot more pnr). And I know Kyrie and KD are ****, and drove him out, I just wonder if he'll get the respect of star players.
VDT
Analyst

Post#94 » by VDT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:14 am

Kobblehead wrote:

Of course he is.

I think Brown could have done similarly well with the Nets. It is easy to overachieve with these kind of teams, particularly in the East. It is much more difficult to overachieve when you have stars and have to adjust to them. The Nets fired him without even giving him the chance to coach to new roster.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#95 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:15 am

Arsenal wrote:Do you have a source for this? If true its the best news we've gotten in a long time!

the_process wrote:How are you inferring this? Or has something been said I missed?

No source, just trying to read between the lines and speculate on what it would take to land a desireable coach. Woj is forecasting personnel shakeup and a loomimg re-structuring of the front office.

I read that as the ownership putting Elton's say in personnel on freeze without actually firing him. Kind of like what the Eagles did to Howie Roseman and what the Flyers did to Paul Holmgren.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#96 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:22 am

VDT wrote:I think Brown could have done similarly well with the Nets. It is easy to overachieve with these kind of teams, particularly in the East. It is much more difficult to overachieve when you have stars and have to adjust to them. The Nets fired him without even giving him the chance to coach to new roster.

Atkinson can coach circles around Brown when it comes to gameplans, rotations, substitutions, and scheme.

I agree that his temperament is not ideal for coaching entitled millionaires. That's why I think he'd be best an an assistant on the staff as opposed to headman.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,717

Post#97 » by the_process » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:26 am

Kobblehead wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Do you have a source for this? If true its the best news we've gotten in a long time!

the_process wrote:How are you inferring this? Or has something been said I missed?

No source, just trying to read between the lines and speculate on what it would take to land a desireable coach. Woj is forecasting personnel shakeup and a loomimg re-structuring of the front office.

I read that as the ownership putting Elton's say in personnel on freeze without actually firing him. Kind of like what the Eagles did to Howie Roseman and what the Flyers did to Paul Holmgren.

I can't see any HC I would want in charge on the FO other than Pop or Rick Carlisle. Neither of whom is coming here. And the only one who is supposedly on their radar who would likely demand it to come is Jay Wright (otherwise no point in him leaving Villanova). Unless... D'Antoni?
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#98 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:46 am

LOL I'm guessing the usual folks who despise my views aren't too happy right now :D .. I've defended EB and it looks like he's rightly staying put. And I also was the sole person here putting Ty Lue's name forward when we previously spoke about potential replacements for Brown...and low and behold it looks like old TY is the favourite right now :lol: :lol: .

What makes me laugh about folks who ridicule Lue is they get all high and mighty and write off his role in winning a championship and reaching several finals simply because he had Lebron. But yet these same folks will turn around and call Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Steve Kerr, Erik Spoelstra etc "quality coaches" despite the fact that ALL of them had MUCH MORE talent to work with when they won their championships!!...but no-one ever judges them for it...I WONDER WHY?

The Bucks have a coach who is a proven loser in the playoffs!!..but somehow folks will still convince themselves that Budd is better than TY!!. I just want a guy who has a clear philosophy and can get us to the finals and win a championship...the next great coach is out there but the question is will we find that coach this time? We'll see. I hope the front office leaves no stone unturned tbh.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#99 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:38 am

Interesting, I'm still celebrating Brett is packing his underwear. Haven't thought about who is next.

I've been very hard on Brett in the past, all my texts today have told me, but I know he's a good guy. I do wish him the best and he will get a job somewhere.

I'm just glad he's not the head coach of the Sixers anymore, finally.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#100 » by Stribor » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:33 am

Fair well Brett. It was a time to go, but thanks for all your effort, for going through bad and good times. You showed to have balls to take a job that many coaches would run from. I like you, and I wish you well. Hope you win something with some other team, when it wasn't working here.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers