ImageImage

Prospect Thread: Onyeka Okongwu

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,228

Re: Prospect Thread: Onyeka Okongwu 

Post#21 » by amcoolio » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:48 pm

I think this is the pick of Wiseman isn't there. Fits nu-NBA, shoots well from the line which is a good indicator and maybe Mitch thinks he can be the next Siakam.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#22 » by wilson115 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:48 am

amcoolio wrote:I think this is the pick of Wiseman isn't there. Fits nu-NBA, shoots well from the line which is a good indicator and maybe Mitch thinks he can be the next Siakam.

Interesting. The skills that improved the most during Siakam's breakout year was his ballhandling and passing, much like Adebayo. Otherwise they both looked a lot like Okongwu entering the league. Interesting if he has that potential.
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#23 » by driveandkick » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:51 am

amcoolio wrote:I think this is the pick of Wiseman isn't there. Fits nu-NBA, shoots well from the line which is a good indicator and maybe Mitch thinks he can be the next Siakam.

He’s shooting up my power rankings every single day
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#24 » by 316Hornets » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:44 am

My problem with Okongwu is that he hasn't shown any ability to hit long jumpers. 65% of his shots were around the rim and efficiency was pretty low outside that area. Image

If I'm choosing a PF/C at #3 that can't hit from range, he better be at least 6'10. He just doesn't have the size to really take over a game. If you're telling me Bam Abedayo is his ceiling, then that's pretty horrible upside at 3. I'd like him around pick 8.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#25 » by Braggins » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:34 am

316Hornets wrote:
Spoiler:
My problem with Okongwu is that he hasn't shown any ability to hit long jumpers. 65% of his shots were around the rim and efficiency was pretty low outside that area. Image

If I'm choosing a PF/C at #3 that can't hit from range, he better be at least 6'10. He just doesn't have the size to really take over a game. If you're telling me Bam Abedayo is his ceiling, then that's pretty horrible upside at 3. I'd like him around pick 8.

Miami wouldn't consider trading Bam even for the 1st pick in this draft.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#26 » by wilson115 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:02 am

How is someone with Bam's skills not valuable? Just look what he can do next to a good shooter:

Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#27 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:31 am

Bam really has developed his game into something special.

In the Wiseman thread when there was talk about having a versatile center ... that's what Okongwu will probably end up being. He's shorter than Wiseman but already outweighs him. He'll have a much easier time transitioning to the physical playstyle.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#28 » by BigSlam » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:17 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:He's shorter than Wiseman but already outweighs him.

But you can add weight. You can’t add height.

I think it’s a shame we’ve been subjected to undersized 5’s being abused by opposing bigs. I think that influences how I feel about this guy.

Also, I hope he wears 00 in the NBA. That’d just be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#29 » by Braggins » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:35 pm

I wouldn't expect this guy to develop a passing game like Bam and he doesn't seem quite as athletic (you never know though), but he is a similar mold on defense and if he can at least hit midrange shots and develop a face up and post game he could be quite valuable imo. He looks very fluid and coordinated and has some pretty good touch, which bodes well for development. If he is as good as advertised as a defender and finisher/roll man he seems like he'll be good even if he doesn't add a lot else to his offensive game.

I'm not actually worried about his size. 6'9 240 with a 7'1"+ wingspan is plenty big. Hes strong, athletic, and long enough, that I don't worry about him handling the NBA game from a physical standpoint.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#30 » by BigSlam » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:58 pm

Braggins wrote:I'm not actually worried about his size. 6'9 240 with a 7'1"+ wingspan is plenty big. Hes strong, athletic, and long enough, that I don't worry about him handling the NBA game from a physical standpoint.

So is Biz - and we've had years of him getting spanked by bigger 5's.
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#31 » by DY_nasty » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:32 pm

316Hornets wrote:My problem with Okongwu is that he hasn't shown any ability to hit long jumpers. 65% of his shots were around the rim and efficiency was pretty low outside that area. Image

Bam is a damn good player so this is kinda ..... :roll:
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,228

Post#32 » by amcoolio » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:48 pm

If we had Bam instead of Monk we would have made the playoffs last season

Who knows if we would have developed Bam like Miami did though
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#33 » by DY_nasty » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Bam is arguably Miami's best player and he just outright mauled Indiana's frontline.

Not every big has to be a floor stretching, goat-tier defender to be impactful lol
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:27 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Braggins wrote:I'm not actually worried about his size. 6'9 240 with a 7'1"+ wingspan is plenty big. Hes strong, athletic, and long enough, that I don't worry about him handling the NBA game from a physical standpoint.

So is Biz - and we've had years of him getting spanked by bigger 5's.

Okongwu projects to be a very different player than Biz on both ends.
My picks:
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#35 » by 316Hornets » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:34 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
316Hornets wrote:My problem with Okongwu is that he hasn't shown any ability to hit long jumpers. 65% of his shots were around the rim and efficiency was pretty low outside that area. Image

"Ceiling" is Bam. That doesn't mean he will get to that. I'd prefer a guy with franchise star potential. You can't really build around Bam, are you guys forgetting they have Butler?
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#36 » by yosemiteben » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:00 pm

316Hornets wrote:I'd prefer a guy with franchise star potential. You can't really build around Bam, are you guys forgetting they have Butler?

I don't think there's someone with more franchise star potential in this draft, which is why OO is so interesting.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#37 » by DY_nasty » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:18 pm

316Hornets wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

"Ceiling" is Bam. That doesn't mean he will get to that. I'd prefer a guy with franchise star potential. You can't really build around Bam, are you guys forgetting they have Butler?

There isn't a guy with franchise star potential in this draft really. Even if you get a young Ed Davis out of this guy, it helps us and provides a tradeable asset.

Also, no, I'm not forgetting Jimmy and how little he plays or how inconsistent he's been :lol:

Plus guys grow :o and 1 inch isn't that big of a deal if he can control vertical space appropriately. Can't believe some people are stuck on that height thing when PJ Washington wasn't even 6'7 barefoot on combine day.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,050

Post#38 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:38 pm

I firmly believe our pick will either be this guy or Wiseman. And im perfectly fine with either.

Id prefer Wiseman, though.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,166

Post#39 » by SWedd523 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:16 pm

Why exactly are people projecting Bam for this guy? Is it simply because they have similar physical profiles? I haven't exactly seen anything out of him that says he has an offensive repertoire outside of the paint. He attempted 4 threes all season and the only one he made was a 3/4 court heave at the buzzer lol. He also averaged 1.1 assists per game.

I guess to be fair, Adebayo didn't attempt a single three in college and averaged 0.8 assists per game so his passing ability and overall production kind of came out of nowhere (even somewhat compared to his first two seasons).

I think the argument is between OO and Toppin despite them being very different players, with both having potential high ends clearly below Wiseman
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:33 pm

Disagree strongly. Wiseman is a high risk prospect. All the top guys have warts.
My picks:

Return to Charlotte Hornets