ImageImage

Time to fire Olshey and Stotts?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Re: Time to fire Olshey and Stotts? 

Post#41 » by PDXKnight » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:08 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:If we do not get a scorer who can carry the load when Damian is doubled and trapped then replacing CJ with defensive role players wont help us. Guys like Gordon and Ross will just make us easier to defend.

Yup fair assessment. I do think Nurk is good enough to be a second scorer to dame more than cj but then there’s the injury concerns along with the fact that bigs aren’t really geared to take the last shots unless they’re Anthony Davis. And really even AD isn’t the guy you want carrying the load late in the game so Nurkic certainly isn’t.

Cj has, for all his faults, been good at key playoff moments. He has indeed taken pressure off Dame and while the fit with dame remains questionable we’d absolutely need someone to carry that load if we dealt him away
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,894

Post#42 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:05 pm

I am still pounding the table for DDR. We need a secondary facilitator and someone who can get easy buckets when the 3PT shot isnt falling. DDR is a tremendously underrated player since he cant shoot the 3, but he does just about everything else above average on offense. While he isnt a stopper, he is about average on defense. He has a slight negative DBPM the past 3 years, but its comparable to overrated defenders like Aaron Gordon. He is friends with Dame and CJ. Get this guy to Portland, I would gladly surrender our FRP.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,526

Post#43 » by zzaj » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:06 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I am still pounding the table for DDR. We need a secondary facilitator and someone who can get easy buckets when the 3PT shot isnt falling. DDR is a tremendously underrated player since he cant shoot the 3, but he does just about everything else above average on offense. While he isnt a stopper, he is about average on defense. He has a slight negative DBPM the past 3 years, but its comparable to overrated defenders like Aaron Gordon. He is friends with Dame and CJ. Get this guy to Portland, I would gladly surrender our FRP.

I don't know if it'd be possible without giving up CJ, but I could get behind DeRozan. And if it came down to it, I'd rather have DeRozan than CJ. The ways that I think he helps the Blazers especially are his A/TO ratio and his FT rate--two things that would VASTLY help the team. He's a career 83% FT shooter too, which helps. Additionally, he's played SF the past couple of years and done well in that role.

The Blazers offense would need a bit of tweaking with a player like him. The SF under Stotts all too often gets stuck in the corner and ends up as the 3rd or 4th pass outlet to a 3 pointer...that's part of why Aminu took so many of them. Now, unlike Aminu, DeRozan has a dribble drive game. But as any coach would say, you never want a driving player in the corner because the two sidelines act like two defenders. So, likely the SG and SF positions would have to switch actions under Stotts--with Lillard and DDR being the 2 up in the 2-3 sets...
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#44 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:35 pm

I don't know if it'd be possible without giving up CJ, but I could get behind DeRozan. And if it came down to it, I'd rather have DeRozan than CJ. The ways that I think he helps the Blazers especially are his A/TO ratio and his FT rate--two things that would VASTLY help the team. He's a career 83% FT shooter too, which helps. Additionally, he's played SF the past couple of years and done well in that role.

The Blazers offense would need a bit of tweaking with a player like him. The SF under Stotts all too often gets stuck in the corner and ends up as the 3rd or 4th pass outlet to a 3 pointer...that's part of why Aminu took so many of them. Now, unlike Aminu, DeRozan has a dribble drive game. But as any coach would say, you never want a driving player in the corner because the two sidelines act like two defenders. So, likely the SG and SF positions would have to switch actions under Stotts--with Lillard and DDR being the 2 up in the 2-3 sets...

CJ would straight up feast in that role you described above. He is asked to do far too much right now. Get him open looks and I suspect you get JJ type efficiency from him. His role should be off ball movement shooter, not a iso guy.

I wouldnt move CJ for DDR, that makes the team basically the same level of talent as we have now. I want to add him to the guard duo and allow CJ a new role, allow Dame some time off ball, alleviate the trapping issue, get easy buckets (Both drives and FT), etc. We have two years to make a run until we have to resign Nurkic and truly be in cap hell. If we could get DDR for those two years, it would be huge.
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#45 » by soobias » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:59 pm

for me, its more about a system that revolves around player and ball movement .
to me these are the things that'll make us better than to keep replacing role players every year.
san antonio , golden state , and boston are built like that. yes talent has a lot to do with it, but the only player who had a name coming out of college or high school on those teams were duncan and tatum.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#46 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 pm

I am not a proponent (or an opponent really) of firing Stotts, but what do people think about Brett Brown being let go from the Sixers?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#47 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:30 pm

Stotts is a much better coach than Brown. That guy should have been fired 2 years ago IMO.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#48 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:32 pm

Not a fan of Brown. I actually dont mind d Stotts, but the team needs a defensive assistant coach. They need a shooting coach. They need a big man coach. They need coaches kind of like football has specialty coaches based on position.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#49 » by Epicurus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:24 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Not a fan of Brown. I actually dont mind d Stotts, but the team needs a defensive assistant coach. They need a shooting coach. They need a big man coach. They need coaches kind of like football has specialty coaches based on position.
Nate Tibbetts is the Defensive Coordinator and Associate Head Coach.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#50 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:39 am

Epicurus wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Not a fan of Brown. I actually dont mind d Stotts, but the team needs a defensive assistant coach. They need a shooting coach. They need a big man coach. They need coaches kind of like football has specialty coaches based on position.
Nate Tibbetts is the Defensive Coordinator and Associate Head Coach.

Need a better one apparently
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#51 » by GEE » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:45 am

I think I'm a bit happy for Brett Brown. I think he'll be sleeping better than he ever has, now that he's leaving that mess in Philly. He's going to get a long PAID vacation, and likely return to coaching in the NBA whenever he chooses. He's clearly a scapegoat.

As for his ability to coach, I have no clue honestly. But what is interesting about Philly is their situation has some similarities to ours: Can't stay healthy / Weird mix of players. What's more interesting is how Elton Brand is handling things vs. Olshey. Point being, replacing the coach is easier change to make, rather than switching up major player personnel. Usually the move to be made, before exploring any CJ trades.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,242

Post#52 » by wco81 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:53 am

Not saying Brown shouldn't get fired but Philly absolutely screwed itself with the Okafor and Fultz picks. Both of them top 3, 2015 and 2017.

If they got starter-level players, they'd be in much better shape.

He's the one who was there throughout the tanking.

NBA kind of forced the Colangelo's on the team and they've bungled it.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#53 » by Norm2953 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:34 am

wco81 wrote:Not saying Brown shouldn't get fired but Philly absolutely screwed itself with the Okafor and Fultz picks. Both of them top 3, 2015 and 2017.

One can't look back at drafts for Mario Hezonja was the fith pick in the 15 draft and I wonder its likely
Porzingas if he was picked at 3 would have kept the sixers from picking Simmons in the 16 draft.

The mess in Philly is going to be interesting and I wonder if Simmons were available, if Portland would
offer any combination of players (except Dame) to get him.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#54 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:51 am

The mess in Philly is going to be interesting and I wonder if Simmons were available, if Portland would

Well, Elton is a seriously bad GM who may panic and move Simmons. I would easily offer CJ, Collins, 2020 FRP, 2022 FRP, 2024 FRP for him. We need transcendent talent and thats Simmons. I doubt Philly would bit though. The defensive improvement of moving CJ and replacing him with Simmons would be tremendous.

I assume they dont want Nurkic but if a 3 way could be worked I would move him and CJ for Simmons. I would prefer the above though.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#55 » by Blazers20 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:19 am

I think they would want to package Simmons with Horford.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#56 » by monopoman » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:15 am

Norm2953 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Not saying Brown shouldn't get fired but Philly absolutely screwed itself with the Okafor and Fultz picks. Both of them top 3, 2015 and 2017.

One can't look back at drafts for Mario Hezonja was the fith pick in the 15 draft and I wonder its likely
Porzingas if he was picked at 3 would have kept the sixers from picking Simmons in the 16 draft.

I'm pretty sure they pick Simmons anyways he was by far the most hyped out of that draft, it's almost like passing on AD in the 2012 NBA draft or something even if you have a great player that plays his position you pick him. Need drafting with the #1 pick should not be a thing especially since 95% of the time the team with the #1 pick sucks ass.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#57 » by PDX MM » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:41 am

I have been ready for Olshey to go for a few years now. The roster isn't pretty and that is his job. I am 50/50 on Stotts but in his defense he wasn't given much to work with.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#58 » by Blazers20 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:58 am

Terry needs to be fired.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#59 » by Sinobas » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:02 am

I don't think Jody Allen gives enough of an F to fire either of them. And this year, like many years, they have the injury excuse.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#60 » by GEE » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:41 am

Seeing GTJ play heavy at the SF, with all three of him, Dame and CJ play way too many minutes is what kills our chances game in and game out. Stotts seams completely unable to figure this out, and continued to go with it, finding any excuse to go small, even bringing Simons in, instead of rotating GTJ with Dame and CJ at the guard spots. This is enough reason for me, but the tired excuse of injuries will once again be used, and he'll likely be able to spin some of the bubble success onto himself, and waste another year of Dame's prime.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers