GAME 4 - LAL vs POR (2-1) 6:00pm PST 8/24

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,662

Re: GAME 4 - LAL vs POR (2-1) 6:00pm PST 8/24 

Post#81 » by dockingsched » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:38 am

So reflecting on some of the storylines in this series. I’m realizing that I don’t think I’ve ever felt as good about an opponent having the ball in his hands as Melo. The guy just constantly insists on iso’ing, sucks at creating for others, and by doing so takes the ball out of the hands of much better scorers. Find myself so relieved whenever Melo starts facing up with the ball cause it’s almost always a great result for the Lakers.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#82 » by Slava » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:59 am

dockingsched wrote:So reflecting on some of the storylines in this series. I’m realizing that I don’t think I’ve ever felt as good about an opponent having the ball in his hands as Melo. The guy just constantly insists on iso’ing, sucks at creating for others, and by doing so takes the ball out of the hands of much better scorers. Find myself so relieved whenever Melo starts facing up with the ball cause it’s almost always a great result for the Lakers.

He did keep them in the game in the 3rd quarter of game 3 though. His role should be limited to that, providing some boost when their main scorers are marked out or tired.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#83 » by Spanish_Laker » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:35 am

When we hit our open shots, we are an unstoppable team. Great team win, let's close them out on Wednesday.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 316

Post#84 » by Hans1984 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:25 pm

Incredible first half. They were laser-sharp. It got a little ugly after the injuries and all the stoppage of the game in the second half.
None the less a great game by the Lakers. I hope AD is allright.
This one is for Kobe.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#85 » by iamworthy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:08 pm

Every time I see kuz or Danny green dribble it worries me. I also don't understand why Jr Smith is playing ahead of waiters.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,831

Post#86 » by Beethoven » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:26 pm

Ad is not going to be accurate like that in future tougher series with all those mid range jumpshots.
He keeps falling in love with them.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#87 » by lazybatman » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:48 pm

kblo247 wrote:
lazybatman wrote:
kblo247 wrote:Let me ask you this, on this team in Portland and in this series ... Can you say that Dame, CJ, or Nurk actually have given more effort on D than Melo? I ain't never watched a team before this one and went damn Melo is giving the best defensive effort there is out there, but here he is in every game and the only one defending harder is Trent

Agree with you both. Melo's not short on talent or ability.. His mental fortitude was the difference between a great legacy and a bunch of scoring titles that are gonna mean nothing at all in the end.

If the HOF was actually a wee bit elite, instead of a people pleaser, Melo wouldn't have a shot at it.

I'd rate players like Andre Igoudala, Chuncy Billups, Pau Gasol, Chris Bosh, Kyle Lowry over him personally, and it's not because they won rings..

To be fair to him as well. I don’t know how much of that is all on him or is that on where he was at.

George Karl divided that locker room. Melo isn’t the only one who had issues with him. Martin called him a snake. JR criticized him. Iguodala called him a snake too after a year. Kemp left Seattle because of him. Payton and him got into it which is why that sonic team split up and they butted heads in Milwaukee too. And then you cousins and the Kings into it with Karl. I believe he is a coach that will let you do what you are great at but refine or teach nothing. Payton didn’t work on his shot. Melo didn’t work on his defense. JR didn’t work on his defense to Cleveland. There is never growth when it comes to his teams and players, they win games but never touch their ceiling. Iverson and him got into it as well this the pistons trade

I watch Melo with team USA and he thrived. He defended, rebounded, sacrificed and is probably easily the best Olympian ever. I watched him with Woodson and kidd/Sheed and he listened, sacrificed and they won games. Same with Chauncey he was at his best and took challenges. Same with Syracuse. If you outline him what to do and teach the step by step outline he’s always done what makes him uncomfortable for the right coaches who knew how to teach him.

He’s not smart as lebron. He’s not as cerebral as Kobe. But he’s far from a bum. Most guys can’t go from off the street to nba starter playing over 30mins mid season and produce like he did.

I mean I can easily in my head say if the Lakers in 11 are smart, instead of MItch and Jim being stupid and do the Bynum for Melo deal Denver offered before he went to NY things are very different for him. He has Phil as a coach, he has Fish as the leader vocally, he has his idol Kobe, he has Artest, Pau, and Odom to learn from. I think he learns and this team has another ring and playoff berths under its name.

Agreed. Great read bro!

We are all largely a function of our circumstances. Not many can / will control and change those circumstances like Lebron has.. And Lebron's just a more gifted player, which is an unfair comparison.

'The decision' and constantly hinting himself as 'the greatest' aside, that is.. :lol: :lol: He has also made huge mistakes, like wasting anymore than his rookie contract(3/4 years) with a fellow like Dan Gilbert(worst 3 owners in the league, with Dolan and MJ), then choosing the Lakers and Miami for reasons other than basketball. His career would be a lot different if he joined the tutelage of Pop, a coach that he revers, after giving the shaft to Gilbert. He would've had proper coaching and development like Kawhi and been an even better and more humble player. It's safe to say, the 3 of 9 finals story is a lot different, even if he averages a few lesser points.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#88 » by stan francisco » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:24 pm

Nice defense. Looking good. And the scoring efficiency is transforming into playoffs level.

We’ll be hard to beat playing focused like this. Caruso and Kuzma are our defensive junk yard dogs.

I hope the JR Smith minutes were just to help get his pulse back.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#89 » by Kilroy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:34 pm

Can't give our offense too much credit based on this series... Portland plays zero defense.

All I can say for sure is that we're kicking Portland's ass right now and it doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon.

But I think it'd be a trap to read too much into it looking forward... Our Defense should be there, though and that's something solid to hang our hat on.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers