Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Re: Prospect Spotlight -- Onyeka Okongwu 

Post#21 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:39 am

Read on Twitter

Chris Kirchner's take: Okongwu is someone who I listed as a prospect who makes sense for the Hawks, but there are certainly questions about the fit because, again, of having Capela on the roster and Collins. Although he’s 6-foot-9, the general consensus around the league is Okongwu is a center.

Okongwu’s skill set does make him more of an intriguing prospect for the Hawks to consider because he handles the ball like a wing, is terrific defensively and can guard out to the perimeter, plus he has the long-term potential to space the floor. While I don’t think he’s someone the Hawks should completely avoid in the draft, I would have some hesitancy just because of the way the roster is currently constructed.

Jon Wasserman’s take: “I am going to contradict myself here and say if Capela is going to start, Okongwu would be a perfect sixth man. I know it seems like a reach to draft a sixth man guy that high, but I think you can bank on his defensive activity around the basket working in a sixth-man role, at the least. I think Okongwu is significantly better skilled offensively than Wiseman. I certainly would take Okongwu over James Wiseman. At the same time, it would be difficult to pull the trigger on him because I don’t picture him playing power forward. He’s a center. I don’t see how he’d fit with Capela and John Collins. I am interested to see what Atlanta’s intent is with Capela. If the intent is to play him as a regular starter and use him to elevate this roster, it’s tough to put too much thought into Okongwu.”
The Athletic
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#22 » by Spud2nique » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:40 am

Yes to Gwu no to Wise!
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#23 » by King Ken » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:48 am

I had time to rewatch OO's tape and I can say, I have kinda fallen out of favor with him. Not because I don't think he will be good because I do but I am not sure of his position and he's too much like Derrick Favors and Antonio McDyess and does that work in 2020? Either way, he should be a fairly safe and quality pick. He's not Greg Monroe 2.0 and ish. If you want to swing for the fences on a big man, Precious Achuiwa is the guy.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#24 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:13 am

Kong is more of LAC Elton Brand. Elton Brand with the LAC was 20/11 and 2.5 blocks.

Back then, elite PF where hitting alot of long 2s like Brand, KG, and Webber. I think Kong can be a decent 3pt shooter like Anthony Davis is, which is 3 attempts per game at 33%
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:39 pm

Thoughts on OO developing some playmaking ability moving forward...similar to Bam?

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#26 » by Spud2nique » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:22 am

Nah let Gwu be Gwu which is defense as the main focus. Trae got our offense and Huerter and Cam.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:24 pm

Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#28 » by Spud2nique » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:57 am

This is my #1 guy for us. Unless we get Ant Edwards we need to navigate to get this kid.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#29 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Pro Player Comparisons for Projected Lottery Picks

Onyeka Okongwu: Derrick Favors

Teams will target Onyeka Okongwu for his presence around the rim as a finisher, offensive rebounder and rim protector. He'll enter the league as Derrick Favors did when he was the No. 3 overall pick in 2010.

Younger Favors was explosive. Okongwu will similarly make his money inside at both ends of the floor.

Aside from the dunks, putbacks and blocks, they also work as low-post players teams can feature in space. Okongwu ranked in the 94th percentile out of the post, and though he isn't a shooter, his 15-of-35 mark on half-court jumpers was encouraging for his potential to make shots around the key.
Bleacher Report
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#30 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:17 pm

Spud2nique wrote:This is my #1 guy for us. Unless we get Ant Edwards we need to navigate to get this kid.

I hope Kong or Wise falls to six, but the dream option if Ball drops to 6 and Hawks can trade him to the Knicks for 8 and 27 and Hawks can get Nesmith and Jalen Smith (or Oturu).
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#31 » by Spud2nique » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:25 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:This is my #1 guy for us. Unless we get Ant Edwards we need to navigate to get this kid.

I hope Kong or Wise falls to six, but the dream option if Ball drops to 6 and Hawks can trade him to the Knicks for 8 and 27 and Hawks can get Nesmith and Jalen Smith (or Oturu).

Somebody is falling. One of Okongwu, Wiseman, I don’t necessarily want Wiseman but at 6 it’s really hard to pass on him. Nesmith is a great fit. No interest in Jalen Smith or Oturu for us.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#32 » by azuresou1 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:31 pm

Okongwu is an interesting guy to me, because I think there are things he does that will obviously translate at some level, but I'm not quite sure how the complete package fits in today's NBA and certainly for the Hawks.

Given his defensive instincts, great footwork and touch in the post, and functional athleticism, you want him playing in the paint as much as possible. I am confident he can score in the NBA, and I think he will be a plus defender who will stabilize the defense and have great impact as a help defender and in PnR situations.

However, given his size and average wingspan, I don't think you can play him at C full-time and against all lineups. He will get eaten up by guys like Embiid and Jokic who would just bully through and over him. Given his lack of shooting, playing him at PF full time is also a challenge because it cramps the offensive spacing.

He's a very unique player. There are a lot of very successful guys I can compare him to in some facet, but he's also distinct from them in some very tangible way. Thad Young, Elton Brand, Draymond Green, Clint Capela, Montrezl Harrell, Bam Adebayo - I all see shades of them in Okongwu.

As he is, I think he can be very successful in the league as a 6th man type big who comes off the bench playing big minutes and against specific matchups. Against the Rockets for example, he is the PERFECT C because PJ Tucker can't hurt him inside, he can provide mobility on defense, and offensively he can either present a vertical threat or just convert post attempts all day. Against the Lakers, he's much better playing PF next to a traditional C, because together they can clog the paint against LeBron and he would be a plus defender on the perimeter/high post against AD.

For him to be truly elite though, he needs to develop some facets of his game. The easiest thing to point to is shooting, because if he can hit 3s at a strong rate he suddenly becomes viable as a full time 4, or a small ball 5.

Overall - I love him for the Hawks. Right now I have him as my #3 prospect behind Ant Man and Wiseman, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as the best player in the draft. He has a sky high floor, but I think his ceiling, while not as sexy as Ant Man or Wiseman's, is still respectable and more importantly is the type of player that leads to winning basketball.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#33 » by King Ken » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:49 pm

While everyone knows I am Toppin to the Hawks all day. Okongwu is probably the only pick I wouldn't mind if he was still on the board. At the end of the day, it's hard finding players like Okongwu and he actually has trade value so that too
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#34 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:41 pm

A solid write-up by B/R's primary NBA writer.

Jonathan Wasserman wrote:Biggest Questions About Onyeka Okongwu

NBA scouts weren't talking about Onyeka Okongwu in October. Now they're debating if he's the draft's top center. His game and fit just didn't pop under the NBA scouting scope. "Isn't Okongwu's offensive game outdated for today's NBA?," one scout asked.

It's suddenly easier to picture Okongwu on an NBA floor after averaging 16.2 points and 2.7 blocks through 28 games at USC. The analytics say his season was historic—Okongwu joined Williamson, Anthony Davis and Karl-Anthony Towns as the only freshmen to finish with a player efficiency rating above the 30 and box plus-minus over 13.

Why was he overlooked in the first place? [T]he current questions surrounding Okongwu at the next level remain similar to the ones that led to zero draft buzz before the season.

• Lacking traditional center size, face-up skills or shooting range, how effective/dominant can he be against NBA frontcourts?
  • How much upside is tied to Okongwu's offensive game?
  • How much love should teams show to a 6'9" post scorer?
  • Will Okongwu develop a jumper?
  • Will blocks per game translate to effective NBA defense?

Evaluators all agree on the perception that Okongwu has one of the draft's highest floors. His mobility and athleticism should continue translating to easy baskets and blocked shots. The questions concern his ceiling for a 6'9" big who doesn't offer the scoring or playmaking versatility that fuels upside in today's NBA.
Bleacher Report
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#35 » by Spud2nique » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:07 pm

I got Gwu still at #1 for us. Okoro and Haliburton also super solid ballers.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#36 » by Spud2nique » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

I’ve seen Gwu play live at USC and the kid is faster than Bam. He’s definitely quicker with his second jumps like JC but not as fast because he’s heavier in the bottom on the quads than JC.

He would crack our starting rotation within a year and a half even though Capela and JC are monsters, this guy is an alpha on the court as well. Would be a nice problem to have 3 talented bigs on the Hawks roster next year.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#37 » by Spud2nique » Tue Oct 6, 2020 10:48 am

Gwu do! He’s the one :nod:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#38 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:11 pm

Ranking the Top 5 Prospects at Every Position

Big Men: 1. Onyeka Okongwu (USC, C, Freshman)

Elevator pitch: Okongwu deserves top-five looks for his potential to serve as both a featured scorer and defensive anchor. He's more skilled than Wiseman with far greater upside in rim protection compared to Toppin.

Analysis: Skeptics still have Okongwu in the Nos. 5-8 range of the draft, with his floor being the selling point. At worst, a team gets an athletic finisher and active rim protector with enough foot speed to switch and guard in space.

But I see more offensive upside. He ranked in the 94th percentile out of post-ups, and not just by going over his shoulder with hook shots. Okongwu has terrific footwork to create and touch with both hands. He can get himself high-percentage looks one-on-one. And though he didn't take many jump shots, he hit 15-of-35 in the half court and 72.0 percent of his free throws.

It's understandable why certain teams with established centers may be hesitant to draft Okongwu. But after the first two or three picks, the teams that aren't set at the position could see the best player available.
Bleacher Report
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#39 » by Spud2nique » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Ranking the Top 5 Prospects at Every Position

Big Men: 1. Onyeka Okongwu (USC, C, Freshman)

Elevator pitch: Okongwu deserves top-five looks for his potential to serve as both a featured scorer and defensive anchor. He's more skilled than Wiseman with far greater upside in rim protection compared to Toppin.

Analysis: Skeptics still have Okongwu in the Nos. 5-8 range of the draft, with his floor being the selling point. At worst, a team gets an athletic finisher and active rim protector with enough foot speed to switch and guard in space.

But I see more offensive upside. He ranked in the 94th percentile out of post-ups, and not just by going over his shoulder with hook shots. Okongwu has terrific footwork to create and touch with both hands. He can get himself high-percentage looks one-on-one. And though he didn't take many jump shots, he hit 15-of-35 in the half court and 72.0 percent of his free throws.

It's understandable why certain teams with established centers may be hesitant to draft Okongwu. But after the first two or three picks, the teams that aren't set at the position could see the best player available.
Bleacher Report

:nod: I tollllll u a lon time ago.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks