ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoff TV Ratings thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Re: Playoff TV Ratings thread 

Post#21 » by Par36 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:40 pm

ash_k wrote:
gei wrote:Wow. That's shocking considering how much less exciting/entertaining the game is without fans.

obviously only a small minority feels that way..this ain't football&soccer..

...nono.. pretty certain the majority agree this is far less exciting than the normal playoff playoff environment.

You feel otherwise? Great..you're not the majority.
kwajo
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,227

Post#22 » by kwajo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:22 pm

720 wrote:“Canada” lol guarantee you the vast majority of those viewers are in the GTA.

There are another 30-31 million people in Canada outside of the GTA, you don’t think at least a few of us are tuning in? Come on.
”I’m just a man, standing in front of a Raptor, asking them to love me.”
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,810

Post#23 » by ash_k » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:12 pm

Par36 wrote:
ash_k wrote:
gei wrote:Wow. That's shocking considering how much less exciting/entertaining the game is without fans.

...nono.. pretty certain the majority agree this is far less exciting than the normal playoff playoff environment.

or just maybe viewers care about the basketball being played and not the fans sitting in front row?! again like Rating shows..unaffected by the (no)Fans.
If you need to see Drake and other fans screaming to enjoy basketball games then you are in the minority like Ratings will demonstrate further
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,413

Post#24 » by Tha Cynic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:47 pm

ash_k wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:
ash_k wrote:obviously only a small minority feels that way..this ain't football&soccer..

Bashing the most popular sport in the world to make a point lol

:lol: not bashing anything. Soccer&football without fans is very different (the fake fans noise makes a HUGE difference)..after all we are talking about 60 000+ versus 20 000 max in Basketball.

watching Bball with those virtual fans is just fine as the Ratings show.. 'no more' of those high-pitched screams :lol:

I don't know, I feel like your mind just adapts to the lack of fans and you don't even notice it anymore. I feel like in a sport like basketball it is a lot more evident because the fans are pretty much sitting on the court next to players. Whenever a big play happens you definitely miss the fan energy.

For a sport like soccer, the field is so huge, you barely even see the fans when watching on TV. At least that's how I feel.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#25 » by 720 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:56 pm

kwajo wrote:
720 wrote:“Canada” lol guarantee you the vast majority of those viewers are in the GTA.

There are another 30-31 million people in Canada outside of the GTA, you don’t think at least a few of us are tuning in? Come on.

Sure, that’s why I said vast majority instead of all of. There is evidence that there are pockets of raptors support in Quebec, the Atlantic and even out west.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,410

Post#26 » by And1+2 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:59 pm

720 wrote:
kwajo wrote:

Sure, that’s why I said vast majority instead of all of. There is evidence that there are pockets of raptors support in Quebec, the Atlantic and even out west.

Big support out East, can definitely confirm.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,039

Post#27 » by ItsDanger » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:25 pm

A lot of people are "working" at home still.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,288

Post#28 » by raptorstime » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:30 pm

All Canadian hockey teams will probably be eliminated by Friday. Hopefully the Canadian media starts to give the raptors some more attention.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#29 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:17 pm

DG88 wrote:Didn't Steve Simmons say that because we have Canadian hockey teams playing less people wouldn't watch the Raps much lol.

:noway: :lol:
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#30 » by Scott Hall » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:36 am

Read on Twitter
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#31 » by Metallikid » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:00 am

What? Did you forget we all went without sports for 3-4 months? It is a lower quality product, that doesn't mean people aren't desperate for a distraction.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,080

Post#32 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

We're slowly taking over baby lol
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#33 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:22 pm

Are the NHL ratings on TSN/Sportsnet doing well? Its hard to say if these high numbers are a result of people watching from home as they work if the general interest is higher now. It would be nice to have a benchmark.
Yeezy SZN approaching
-AirCanada-
Pro Prospect
And1: 847

Post#34 » by -AirCanada- » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:26 pm

Par36 wrote:
ash_k wrote:

nope
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#35 » by 13th Man » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:31 pm

Didn't the Leafs get eliminated before this game? That could've helped out as well.

The Raptors are or have become Canada's team I hope :)
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#36 » by LiSTWithLani » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:38 pm

I hate to put a damper on this, but I also think that since people aren't out at bars watching, you have more people watching from home. That means more TVs and fewer big screens. I don't think that they could possibly account for that, do they?
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#37 » by Scott Hall » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:46 pm

lstern wrote:I hate to put a damper on this, but I also think that since people aren't out at bars watching, you have more people watching from home. That means more TVs and fewer big screens. I don't think that they could possibly account for that, do they?

Yeah it's a combination of things...

Bandwagon fans interested in championship team
No Jurassic Park
Nobody at Sports Bars
Not many people going to friends houses or parties (although a lot of people don't care about the pandemic)
Only one Canadian NHL team in playoffs that plays on the West Coast
A lot of people still in quarantine and possibly not working
ash_k
RealGM

Post#38 » by ash_k » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Par36 wrote:...nono.. pretty certain the majority agree this is far less exciting than the normal playoff playoff environment.

Are you guys coming around or what?? less exciting still ?

Read on Twitter
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
ash_k
RealGM

Post#39 » by ash_k » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:53 pm

lstern wrote:I hate to put a damper on this, but I also think that since people aren't out at bars watching, you have more people watching from home. That means more TVs and fewer big screens. I don't think that they could possibly account for that, do they?

Then it would just mean that (non-Covid-impacted)TV ratings are not a representation of reality? and what we are seeing right now is actually a representation of reality ?
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#40 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:03 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:
ash_k wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:
Bashing the most popular sport in the world to make a point lol

:lol: not bashing anything. Soccer&football without fans is very different (the fake fans noise makes a HUGE difference)..after all we are talking about 60 000+ versus 20 000 max in Basketball.

watching Bball with those virtual fans is just fine as the Ratings show.. 'no more' of those high-pitched screams :lol:

I don't know, I feel like your mind just adapts to the lack of fans and you don't even notice it anymore. I feel like in a sport like basketball it is a lot more evident because the fans are pretty much sitting on the court next to players. Whenever a big play happens you definitely miss the fan energy.

For a sport like soccer, the field is so huge, you barely even see the fans when watching on TV. At least that's how I feel.

Hah, the soccer broadcasters should pipe in that vuvuzela sound from the World Cup. That will create atmosphere!

Anyway, I'm enjoying the better camera angles and bench reactions. Along with all the winning. Would like to hear the Car Wash theme, tho. And maybe Seven Nation Army in crunch time. The OKC home games really rock out - they sure like white people music.

Return to Toronto Raptors