ImageImage

Prospect Spotlight -- Tyrese Haliburton

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Is Ty Haliburton worth a lottery selection for our Hawks?

No way we're spending a top-10 pick on another PG
16%
Yes! The defense, shooting & playmaking are a perfect fit
53%
Maybe. Depends on who else is still available
32%

Total votes: 19

graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Re: Prospect Spotlight -- Tyrese Haliburton 

Post#61 » by graymule » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:05 pm

:D

Please. Make Tyrese Haliburton a Hawk. I've saw him ranked as #8 or #9 and then he came down to #3. Someone else apparently likes him too. We all dream of getting #1 and drafting that home town boy. Odds are, we don't get him. That leaves my favorite pick for the Hawks. What's not to like? Atlanta needs a really good back up for Trae and Tyrese checks all the boxes!!

Probably will not happen, but let me dream a little while longer...

:D :D
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#62 » by Spud2nique » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:51 pm

graymule wrote::D

Please. Make Tyrese Haliburton a Hawk. I've saw him ranked as #8 or #9 and then he came down to #3. Someone else apparently likes him too. We all dream of getting #1 and drafting that home town boy. Odds are, we don't get him. That leaves my favorite pick for the Hawks. What's not to like? Atlanta needs a really good back up for Trae and Tyrese checks all the boxes!!

Probably will not happen, but let me dream a little while longer...

I’m riding with you Gramps. I don’t know how to feel I keep going back and forth. I’m think some might be right and it’s not the worst if we fall 5-7 range. We would be looking at a few studs in your Haliburton, my Okongwu and sis and cousin’s Okoro. I trust your instinct Gramps, I roll with the vets in the game. Hali does seem steady as they come with some flare when necessary.
graymule
Bench Warmer

Post#63 » by graymule » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:55 am

#6 Tyrese ??
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#64 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:57 am

Tyrese. Or trade.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#65 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:03 pm

6. Atlanta Hawks -- Tyrese Haliburton

6-5 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Iowa State

This works out fine for the Hawks, who can fill a few different needs by selecting Haliburton. The former Iowa State guard is terrific at playing both on and off ball, as he showed over the course of his career. As a freshman, he played a role off the ball next to guys like Talen Horton-Tucker and Marial Shayok. Then this year, he took over as the lead guard and was terrific statistically, averaging 15.2 points, 5.9 rebounds and 6.5 assists. This fills two legitimate needs for the Hawks. First and foremost, they desperately need a long-term answer as a backup point guard next to Young. Haliburton can handle that role, something that significantly hindered the Hawks last year if you look at Young’s on/off numbers. Second, Haliburton would absolutely excel at playing with Young. He’s a terrific shooter off the catch, having hit 41.9 percent of his 3s this season. Defensively, he’s somewhat weak on-ball, but he’s a monstrous team defender who constantly lives in passing lanes and is exceptionally reactionary to what happens around him. That ability to play as a secondary ballhandler would help the uptempo play of the Hawks, while also allowing Young to move off the ball at times.

The weakness here is that I don’t think Haliburton is a starting caliber lead guard. Rather, he’s going to be more of a role player who really helps you win games due to his rapid decision-making, shooting off the catch, and team defense, but a role player nonetheless. Particularly, Haliburton struggles a bit as a shooter off the bounce, and has a tendency on pick-and-roll plays and drives to jump when passing and leave himself with little room for error. In college, it worked because he was bigger than everyone guarding him. But in the NBA, it’ll fly less often because of the length on the court. Still, his feel for the game is so high that I think Haliburton is worthy of a top-10 pick.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#66 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:48 am

Chris Kirchner wrote:Atlanta: Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State

The feedback I’ve received from those I trust who have a wealth of knowledge about the draft rave about Haliburton as a player and person. I haven’t heard one negative regarding Haliburton as a player. There are normally the standard effort and buy-in concerns with several prospects, but I haven’t heard one singular concern regarding Haliburton.

Of the point guards in this draft, Haliburton makes the most sense for the Hawks because of his ability to play off the ball, knock down spot-up shots and be a secondary playmaker. He shot 42 percent from 3-point range this season on 5.6 attempts per game and scored 1.43 points per possession in spot-up attempts, which ranked him in the 99th percentile.

With Atlanta needing to shore up its backup point guard spot, Haliburton would be an excellent option, especially if Jeff Teague isn’t re-signed.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#67 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:41 pm

Pro Player Comparisons for Projected Lottery Picks

Tyrese Haliburton: Lonzo Ball

Passing IQ separates Tyrese Haliburton, who possesses similar size (6'5", 175 lbs) and athletic limitations as Lonzo Ball (6'6", 190 lbs).

They both also happen to share unorthodox shooting mechanics, which hinder their pull-up jumpers. But Haliburton and Ball are valued on the floor for their ability to move the rock and find teammates. Their special playmaking vision and skill are optimized by having more threatening scorers and shot-makers around them.

Given their limited blow-by burst, they ideally serve as secondary ball-handlers next to faster point guards. Ball has looked more effective playing with Jrue Holiday. Haliburton, who shot 49.3 percent on catch-and-shoot jumpers, should similarly play minutes at the 2.

Like Ball's, Haliburton's assist numbers and impact will ultimately outshine his scoring average.'
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#68 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:34 am

Why Tyrese Haliburton could be the pick at No. 6 for Hawks

Haliburton is an intriguing option for the Hawks because of his ability to shoot and create plays and his length (6-foot-5 with a 6-foot-7 1/2 wingspan) as a combo guard. In back-to-back years at Iowa State, Haliburton shot better than 40 percent from 3, showed he is a creative passer with the ability to find rollers and shooters using all angles and proved to be a good team defender. This past season, Haliburton posted a 3.8 percent steal rate and a block rate of 2 percent — two excellent numbers for a guard.
Because the Hawks have Trae Young, Haliburton wouldn’t be the engine of this team, which should allow him to thrive in his likely best role in the NBA — a secondary option with the ability to be the lead guard when the primary initiator sits.

Haliburton is elite in catch-and-shoot attempts, scoring 1.49 points per possessions. His mechanics likely will be tweaked some in the NBA, but he should enter the league commanding respect as a 3-point shooter.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
An area where there should be more concern for the Hawks is on defense. He’s very smart defensively...but he has such a small frame that I’d worry a bit with the defensive fit next to Young. He’s thin, and that showed itself in man-to-man situations. But because of his basketball IQ, he has an incredible ability to make up ground if someone gets by him.

...from talking with NBA evaluators and those inside college basketball who’ve come into contact with Haliburton, there hasn’t been one negative remark about his character. The feedback has been exceedingly glowing.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#69 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:11 pm

Best Landing Spot for Each Projected 2020 NBA Lottery Pick

Tyrese Haliburton (Iowa State, PG/SG, Sophomore)

Draft range: Nos. 4-8

Best landing spot: Atlanta Hawks

Ideally, Tyrese Haliburton will walk into a starting position—but not as the lead point guard. He lacks explosiveness for blowing by defenders and the shot mechanics to launch off the dribble. Instead, Haliburton would be better off working as a secondary playmaker alongside a more dangerous creator.

Playing next to Trae Young could help mask Haliburton's struggles beating defenders and attacking. But he'd also be a big help to Young, who carries an enormous workload for the Atlanta Hawks offense. Haliburton would relieve pressure and give the backcourt another elite passer in transition and off ball screens.

Equipped to play off the ball as well, Haliburton ranked in the 99th percentile on spot-ups after shooting 49.3 percent on catch-and-shoot chances, per Synergy Sports.

The Hawks have plenty of talented players who could be optimized by Haliburton's versatility, IQ and ability to space the floor.
Bleacher Report
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#70 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Honestly, it's hard for me to fathom that two years in a row Schlenk would make the same call that I would make.

That, though, is literally the only reason I believe we won't end up with Haliburton, assuming we use the draft slot and assuming he's there. There are arguments for others, sure, there always are. But this is about as vivid a slam dunk decision as I can imagine... and selecting Reddish, of course, was pretty damn vivid, too. It's on that level.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#71 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:29 pm

Such an easy comparison to make between the two, but just now occurred to me to go back to see how Livingston was regarded coming out of school.

Not perfect clones, as it turns out. Livingston seems to be somewhat better regarded in terms of on-ball D, while Haliburton is significantly better regarded as a shooter.

But everything else seems to check out... even down to the fact that they both had some recent injury history coming into the league.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#72 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#73 » by HMFFL » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:41 pm

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: The Future(s) of Iowa State’s Tyrese Haliburton

Three teams, three alternate career paths

https://www.widerightnattylite.com/platform/amp/2020/8/28/21405664/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-the-future-s-of-iowa-states-tyrese-haliburton

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#74 » by King Ken » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:27 pm

He has all of the makings of a good player but he's not exactly a modern NBA PG. I do think he makes sense for the Pistons, Celtics, or Knicks if they don't plan on making him a franchise guy. Not so much of the Hawks but he's my #4 overall player in the draft
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:10 pm

I have D Vassell higher on my personal board, but it's difficult to deny an ideal fit between us and Ty.

Sam Vecenie wrote:Mock Draft 7.1: A mini update based on what I’m hearing

6. Atlanta Hawks

Tyrese Haliburton | 6-5 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Iowa State

This one actually doesn’t change from the most recent mock. What I said then still stands. “This fills two legitimate needs for the Hawks. First and foremost, they desperately need a long-term answer as a backup point guard next to Young. Haliburton can handle that role, something that significantly hindered the Hawks last year if you look at Young’s on/off numbers. Second, Haliburton would absolutely excel at playing with Young. He’s a terrific shooter off the catch, having hit 41.9 percent of his 3s this season. Defensively, he’s somewhat weak on-ball, but he’s a monstrous team defender who constantly lives in passing lanes and is exceptionally reactionary to what happens around him.”
The Athletic
graymule
Bench Warmer

Post#76 » by graymule » Sat Sep 5, 2020 6:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I have D Vassell higher on my personal board, but it's difficult to deny an ideal fit between us and Ty.

Sam Vecenie wrote:Mock Draft 7.1: A mini update based on what I’m hearing

6. Atlanta Hawks

Tyrese Haliburton | 6-5 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Iowa State

This one actually doesn’t change from the most recent mock. What I said then still stands. “This fills two legitimate needs for the Hawks. First and foremost, they desperately need a long-term answer as a backup point guard next to Young. Haliburton can handle that role, something that significantly hindered the Hawks last year if you look at Young’s on/off numbers. Second, Haliburton would absolutely excel at playing with Young. He’s a terrific shooter off the catch, having hit 41.9 percent of his 3s this season. Defensively, he’s somewhat weak on-ball, but he’s a monstrous team defender who constantly lives in passing lanes and is exceptionally reactionary to what happens around him.”
The Athletic

:D

I want. I want. I want.. I know. What I want doesn't matter. However this old man, who just turned 84, is sold on the idea of the Atlanta Hawks drafting Tyrese Haliburton. This pick, if he turns out to be what I think he will, fits like a comfortable shoe.

What he offers and what we need is like looking in a mirror. Seems to be a great fit.

PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#77 » by PerkinsFor3 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:22 am

84? Wow...congrats!!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#78 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:15 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#79 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:09 pm

2020 NBA Draft Big Board: Latest Top 80 Rankings

4. Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State | Sophomore

Height: 6' 5" | Weight: 175 | Age: 20 | Previous Rank: 4

Although nearly everything about Haliburton’s game is unorthodox, his advanced on-court intellect, winning-conducive skill set and rapid trajectory are noteworthy, and they set him apart in some regard in a lottery where the talent gap between prospects is admittedly narrow. It’s easy to harp on the holes in his game—arduous shooting mechanics, unremarkable explosiveness, and a still-developing handle that could keep him from being a full-time point guard—but there’s a chance that those weaknesses are effectively masked by his savant-like approach to greasing the wheels of an offense. Haliburton doesn’t actually need to be a full-time point guard to wind up as one of the best players in this draft, and at worst, he profiles as a highly usable bench piece on a winning team. His real value lies in what his presence does for everyone else on his team, as a ball-moving facilitator who hits open threes and can augment any lineup.
SI.com
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#80 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks